May 10, United Center in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back from this one. I really should get to sleep, but damn I'm on such a high right now. I was up in the seats for this one (will be in GA on Thu), straight behind the band, so it was a unique experience. Though we were in the back, we were only about six rows up, so everything felt close.

Bono pulled that kid up after Into The Heart, he looked a little frightened by his experience, but that's going to be a great memory for him. Also it was Bono's birthday, so the crowd was chanting and Bono uncorked some champagne with the girl who came up and played Party Girl. That was pretty cool as well.

Overall I really liked Vertigo (they played it twice, kind of odd, but cool), Elevation still rocks, LAPOE, and SBS is always emotional--especially the "No More!!!" part. I wish we had gotten 40 though, and The Fly isn't quite as good as the version from the Elevation tour, but I can't complain.

The band sounded incredible as always, but I wish Bono had a bit more of the energy to run around the place like he did during Elevation. Seeing him do that gave me chills, and still does when I watch the Elevation: Boston DVD. But frankly I'm splitting hairs. The band still has it, and that was an incredible performance overall. I cannot wait to get onto the floor on Thursday and experience it from up close.

Just got back...WHAT A FREAKIN GOOD SHOW!!! MY first experience in GA ever, and it was crazy great times, let me tell ya. They crowd was rockin all throughout the show, and had the most energy at the very end for Vertigo pt 2. What a great time i had, one i will never ever forget. Way to be Chitown!!!

What was really cool was the crown chanting HAP-PY-BIRTH-DAY, (clap clap clap-clap-clap) in soccer chant style. I thin kit really caught the b-man by suprise. Plus, Laura, a huge u2 fan in chicago, member if U2 Midwest, played Party Girl with the band. What an honor to get up there with rock legends. You will all see someday on the dvd just how great tonights show was.

This was a great show. Look forward to the DVD.

Hello,

Well, it was an awesome show for me. Showed up around 10 this morning and got 178 written on the wrist.

Quick Bono story. Went over to see them arrive and when he got there he took pics/talked/signed things on both sides of the entrance then came over to a fence. I was over there, where we asked him abou tthe setlist. In true Bono fashion he explained how other bands just do a bunch of individual songs, and that in his band they try to do a bunch of songs which become one song. That they try to tell a storythroughout the whole show. When pressed, he said that they would mix the set list up on the third leg. Also quick note, Party Girl, as we have been calling her was over in that line where she talked to Bono before the show. This is probably where the Party Girl thing was put together for tonight.

Also, met another Interferencer, who wouldn't say her name - pretty funny I thought, but she shared a story about how Bono kissed her in Seattle, and she got sick afterwards.

Random note, definately got my ticket signed. Gotta start that scrapbook thing one of these days.

Before the show there was a guy coming around filming for the DVD. Sang Happy Birthday to Bono and Vertigo, what seems like 1000 times. LOL Keeping the fingers crossed for making the DVD. :)

Anyways, back to the show.

While the setlist didn't vary a ton, it was an awesome show. I was 2 back from the rail on Adam's side. This was a great spot, as him and Bono spent a decent amount of time out there.

Oh, I saw the set-list that the camera crew was carrying around, the show was scheduled to end

All Because of You
Yahweh

But was put away with for the ending you all now know. I really thought they were going to come out again to play Yahweh and 40. This was my only disappointment of the night. But not worth even writing about.

Hmmmm, what else. Called and let Mike listen in for a bunch of songs, hope that worked.

Also met Hamish (sp?) - the DVD director, he was wandering around after KOL. Someone needs to help them write better conclusions to there songs. lol

Oh ya, one other thing. The girl standing next to me in line most of the day also met Bono earlier and made a sign with her name on it. At the end of the show when Bono jumped into the crowd, he jumped in right over her, and my new buddy I met in line Imran. Anyways, Bono read her sign saying "Hello Pansy". (This is her name, and I stood next to her all day, and she brought me my lunch from KFC.

Ummm, I will probably think of more things, just wanted to get some stories up.

I will be going back Thursday.

Also, I was supposed to have someone meet me to buy my extra tix that I had before getting Ga's, and she never showed up. As I was entering the venue I gave the ticket away to a guy to see if he could find someone that would want a free ticket. If you ended up getting it, I would love to hear your story. It was for section 324, Row 12, seat 5.

Good night. It was great for me.

James

There is something about rookie concert goers that can make a show soooo unenjoyable. Was in GA tonite, for the first time ever and the amount of drunk, obnoxious people is unreal. We were behind the ellipse on Edge's side and things were great until a group of about eight 6 foot-somethings, obviously hopped up on some serious drugs and claiming to be looking for their friends, barged through the crowd and stood in front of everyone blocking any kind of view for those of us who had been standing in that area for quite a while. Then their 'wanna-be hippie' and nasty groping with their girlfriends started and it was all elbows and lit cigarettes inches from the faces of everyone standing around them. It was just so frustrating because they really ruined the mood and were really, really aggravating everyone around them. Countless times, people standing around them asked them (asked them nicely) to just watch it because they were getting a little too crazy. We opted to move way to the back and finally made our way to the middle, behind the camera-man were there was a much more enjoyable crowd of people.
There just seems to be a whole new breed of concert-goers these days that are creating a bad atmosphere. I like to have a good time, and I know everyone else likes to have fun of course, but theres a dividing line between fun and obnoxious. It just sucks that people can't be cool and that fights have to break out and everyone has to act like they are soooo tough. Even though being in the seats is more restricting, I have have enjoyed past U2 shows WAY more in the nose bleeds than in GA. It almost seems that if you aren't in the ellipse or 7 feet tall you're not going to see to much of the show at all! Being on flat ground I know thats to be expected, but after all the comotion and drugged up idiots I don't think I would chance it with the GA tickets ever again, unfortunately. Great show and great sound though ;)

Thought the show was awesome! Got in the GA line at a little before/after 1030. Was number 184 (still have the number on my wrist) :D Waited for a long time. Eventually went over to where Bono was pulling in. He was signing autographs and taking pictures etc. I stuck my hand through the fence, he shook it and looked me dead in the eye (he's very personal with his fans) and said "hi sweetheart" :heart: :drool: Almost died.
Eventually got in line. And yes! I won entrance into the elipse. And since me and my dad were there so early, we were able to get right in front. I didn't have anyone behind me. I was hanging over the banister. It was AWESOME.
The show was great. They had a lot of energy. Everyone was bouncing around and having a great time. It was incredible. Beautiful Day was great. An Cat Dubh he was doing these sexy cat moves:drool: The Achtung Baby songs were so full of energy. Where The Streets Have No Name. GA was jumping around the whole time. It was great.

Anyone going to see a U2 show should really look forward to it. It was defianetly an incredible show. Wish I could see it again.
...besides when it's on DVD :wink:

Maybe I was expecting far far too much, but I was a bit disappointed in Tuesday's show. From the folks that have seen the other two Chicago shows, though, it sounds like Tuesday's may have been the best one so far. I was in row 6 of sect 334 (about even with the far edge of the ellipse). Not too bad, really...

I kinda think knowing the setlists ahead of time (or knowing what has been played at the other shows) had an impact because it set an expectation...rightly or wrongly...

I knew "Bad" was in and out (I never get tired of hearing it live), but I was really looking forward to the Yahweh / "40" close.

I remember being absolutely blown away by "40" in Hartford CT 1985 (Unforgettable Fire)...I couldn't stop telling my wife how awesome it would be (20,000 people singing as everyone is leaving the stadium)...then Vertigo II? I wonder why they are doing that...

But..."Where the Streets Have No Name" was incredible, "Beautiful Day" was played a bit different I thought, especially the first couple verses, nice to have "SBS" rocking again, and COBL was unreal and awesome and a great opening. The "Cry / Electric Co / An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart" sequence was as good as expected, although it was funny seeing some people looking at each other going "what the heck are they playing?" Ditto "Party Girl", which was of course pretty cool too...I wonder if the 5 member band for Party Girl approach will stick for the rest of this leg?

So anyone got spares for Thursday (heh heh heh heh)?

Re: This was a great show. Look forward to the DVD.

Jamescorymiko said:

Also, met another Interferencer, who wouldn't say her name - pretty funny I thought, but she shared a story about how Bono kissed her in Seattle, and she got sick afterwards.

James
3438%3A52323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2323%3D923%3D973%3D3232923882963nu0mrj

James,

that's ruffian here.:)

that's probably the girl.

she's really nice.
3438%3A52323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3B78%3A%3A85%3Aot1lsi

she's very chatty and bono was struck w her the times he's met her, i witnessed their first meeting.
he recognizes her now each time they meet, he even knows her occupation as well as Hamish.

i well let her tell her stories her way if she likes.

db9
:)

BINGO

Yey that was her. While we were waiting in line people were pushing to get closer to Bono, let her come in front of me and kept others out as best I could. Nice gal, got a shirt signed for a charity she is associated with.

Wondering if I could get some advice. Due to work/school constraints, I won't be able to get to the GA line on Thu until like 4:30. How far back do you guys think that'll put me on the floor? For Elevation, I showed up around 2:00 the first time, then around 12:30 the second time and had a great spot each time. I'm just a bit worried about showing up later though.

Chicago 3 was a great show indeed...but...2 Vertigo's??? Of all the songs they could wrap up with they play a song twice! I guess I had too much anticipation for '40'. Do you think this had anything to do with the video production? Do think Hamish got into Bono's earpiece with a "Can you give me another 'take' on Vertigo. We didn't quite get it the 1st time." Would love to see a little discussion on this.:eyebrow:

Wonderful show performance from the band tonight. Partly, I am sure, due to the taping...but the emotion was there for them. Edge was shredding, Bono the most Bono-esque...Larry was all business (the way we are used to him!!) and Adam was posh. This was a surprise trip to Chicago for my wife and our first anniversary, and we were lucky to be in the ellipse. The ellipse continues to be lame (crowd wise...) but we still had the time of our lives rocking out regardless.

Highlights:

City of Blinding Lights - Probably twice or three times the amount of confetti fell tonight. There will be some amazing flying crane and inside the ellipse shots of this. I am a audio professional, and kind of get a kick out of watching the production of things...this DVD will be great.

Vertigo Part 1 - Great energy, Bono opens by saying "More people in Chicago speak Irish than Spanish...Uno Dos Tres Catorce!" Added the Stories for Boys snippet...

Elevation - They really have perfected this tease-the-crowd act. When it kicks in, it gets the biggest reaction so far on the night from the ellipse crowd.

Electric Co. - The Edge is really into this one tonight, goes up on the ellipse for part of it. Tons of trademark Edge moves.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - Great performance, pets Adam, brings up a 10 year old (I guess) who sits beside him with his feet dangling off the inside of the ellilpse as he sings Into the Heart...of a child. He is obviously excited, terrified, shy, and every other thing a 10 year old would feel like. Bono leads him by the heart to the other side of the ellipse. The kid manages a shy smile and bit of a wave to the crowd and is placed back into the crowd. The crowd eats it up.

Beautiful Day - This is the biggest crowd pleaser. Lots of cool lighting effects using the United Center's house installations.

New Years Day - The two day songs back to back. Great crowd reaction, strong version. Getting a bit old, but a classic.

Miracle Drug - One of my very favorite set moments and performances, but a 1/3 of the ellipse files out for bathroom breaks and beer runs. Their loss.

Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own - Bono holds a boxing pose on the ellipse as he sings the first verses...great performance, climaxes the song on the tip of the ellipse facing the camera cranes at the back.

Love and Peace or Else - Standard version, Larry has in ear monitor problems at first, and doesn't seem to be into it for this night. Bono brutalizes the drum for him.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Great crowd pleaser, Bono sings "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage..." in an obvious tribute to Chicago band Smashing Pumpkins. I was left wondering if Billy Corgan was in attendance.

Streets (skipped a few songs...as they were standard) - Good intro, scripted...but there will be amazing crane shots for this one...swopping in and out over the crowd.

Zoo Station - New to me video footage on the screen. A slot machine effect featuring faces from Bill Clinton, George W, Sadaam Hussein, Michael Jackson...and the ZOO BABY! The song is kicked off by him yelling MAMA!!!! over and over...classic. New lighting style for this song. Edge and Bono on opposite sides of the ellipse with orange light and smoke around them. The hat is on for Bono.

Party Girl - Strong full band version, graced by fan on guitar trying to keep up with the Edge. She receives a bottle of Korbel for her efforts, and the other gets sprayed into the ellipse and on Edge. Bono is obviously enjoying himself at this point. Dedicates it to Jordan.

All Because of You - Strongest performance of this I have seen.

Original of the Species - Brilliant, Bono says "its the best song off of the record" He might be right. Edge on Piano, it is dedicated to Bono's daughter JoJo, who was obviously in attendance as he pointed to her in the VIP area in front of the sound desk.

BEST PART OF SHOW:

Bono says (I paraphrase) "Here's a change of a different sort...Encore is italian...essentially means you repeat the best part of the performance again...this ones for me!...UNO DOS TRES CATORCE!!" The crowd goes ballistic!! For those that doubt the playing of this song twice, don't...it is a way better ending than the standard Yahweh (YAWN) and 40.

The house lights don't come up for a very long time. Most fans think they are coming back to do 40, but I am sure they were doing a runner as they most likely had a very expensive party to go to somewhere.

GREAT SHOW, GREAT CITY...bad ellipse...will be GREAT DVD.

Thanks Chicago...we love you.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

Original of the Species - Brilliant, Bono says "its the best song off of the record"

This comment deserves a thread of its own :)

Guess we know what the final single will be now?

sambusik said:
We were behind the ellipse on Edge's side and things were great until a group of about eight 6 foot-somethings, obviously hopped up on some serious drugs and claiming to be looking for their friends, barged through the crowd and stood in front of everyone blocking any kind of view for those of us who had been standing in that area for quite a while. Then their 'wanna-be hippie' and nasty groping with their girlfriends started and it was all elbows and lit cigarettes inches from the faces of everyone standing around them. It was just so frustrating because they really ruined the mood and were really, really aggravating everyone around them. Countless times, people standing around them asked them (asked them nicely) to just watch it because they were getting a little too crazy.

I was standing right next to those 6 foot tall giants! I was the one asking one of the guys wearing the black shirt to take control of his friend who was obviously hopped up on drugs. Yeah, the cigarettes were so freaking rude! I thought there was no smoking in the United Center.

Sambusik, you must have been standing right next to me or in my area. I was the black girl wearing glasses, with my U2 shirt on. Did we meet? I thought I met everyone who was around me. We ended up moving further to the stage instead of going backwards.

cmb737 said:
The ellipse continues to be lame (crowd wise...) but we still had the time of our lives rocking out regardless.

GREAT SHOW, GREAT CITY...bad ellipse...will be GREAT DVD.

Thanks Chicago...we love you.

Yeah, what is the story with the ellipse? There are very few people in it until right before the show starts. I hate this damn lottery.

u2forlife said:

Sambusik, you must have been standing right next to me or in my area. I was the black girl wearing glasses, with my U2 shirt on. Did we meet? I thought I met everyone who was around me. We ended up moving further to the stage instead of going backwards.

I think you were right in front of us! Did you pass by us to go get beer? It was my husband and I --- I have really dark brown hair that was pulled back and I have bangs and was wearing a white tank top and a coral/pink long skirt with a gold belt. My husband has black hair and was wearing a brown tee with a goat on it. After about four songs we moved back because it didnt seem like things were going to get better but its good that you go to get closer to the stage! I wish we would have waited it out a bit but we were getting so pissed. Those people were just so BS and it wasn't the time or place for dirty dancing, haha. So tacky. There was a black guy with glasses standing right in front of us and when he tried to come back after getting beer, this little weenie in the back wouldnt let him thru to get back to his friend. So when I saw him I went back and said he was with me and grabbed one of his beers he had for his friend and pulled him through the two guys who were trying to be the enforcers of the floor, eventually the one guy who wouldn't let him thru got booted about 5 minutes after that. KARMA. He was just a complete little jackass. After last night I'm pretty much completely turned off from wasting any more time or money on concerts just because of the idiot people who ruin it!

Last edited:
sambusik said:
After last night I'm pretty much completely turned off from wasting any more time or money on concerts just because of the idiot people who ruin it!
I know what you mean. We were up in the nosebleeds, 5 rows from the top & a little behind the stage.

Around New Year's Day, a guy behind us fell (pushed?) the guy next to me so hard that he fell forward & got his foot caught in the seat in front of him. He hurt his ankle, and a fight was SO about to ensue. I was trying to get them to chill, but boys are stupid when testosterone & beer mix, it seems. The guy next to me ended up sitting in my seat cuz I had moved in front of the hubby to get away from the potentially impending fight. When he sat down, I saw his girlfriend talking to him & him crying, so I asked her if she wanted me to get a medic or something. She asked her b'f & he just wanted some ice for his ankle.

I went out, followed by my hub. The guy & his gf end up coming out. The went back in & sat in closer seats away from the jerk & his friends. (My hub heard some of the smack that guy that fell/pushed was saying... :mad: )

Hubby told the usher guy that we'd stand at the enterance until they could get that guy & his buddies out. (Cuz really, at that point, we totally didn't feel safe at those seats!)

The guy & his friends got taken out. For a while, but then they were allowed back in! And they kept parading in & out, right past the guy who got hurt! I wasn't hurt, but I did miss some music, and I was mad that this jerk was allowed to stay after being a disruptive ass who ended up hurting this guy!

I swear, NO WHERE should sell booze at events. Or they need to stamp people's hands & only allow people to buy so many drinks. Or stamp the hands & double the price after 2 drinks, then double it again after 4. I am SICK of going to events & having drunk bastards ruin it for me and/or others!

:mad:
*/rant*

Anyway, my 1st U2 show, and it was wonderful, despite what I just mentioned. The girl who came up & played Party Girl... Did she have some sign or something?

I was amazed at the clarity of the sound. It was great, and my ears weren't even ringing afterward! I'm sure hoping some boots show up!

sambusik said:

So when I saw him I went back and said he was with me and grabbed one of his beers he had for his friend and pulled him through the two guys who were trying to be the enforcers of the floor, eventually the one guy who wouldn't let him thru got booted about 5 minutes after that. KARMA. He was just a complete little jackass.

oh man, im sooooo glad one of those guys got booted

the guy who was #1 in line, who showed up at 11:30 am on the 9th for the show on the 10th, had to leave to go to the bathroom before u2 came on. its risky to leave the tip of the rail to go do that, but there was no way he could hold it. he told everyone he would be returning as he went out, but when he came back there were a couple of jackasses who wouldnt let him back in. i dont know if its the same guys, but it sure sounds like it.

the #1 guy was nice enough to help me take care of the "line nazi" business, which fans do so that the whole GA line is fair for everybody. yet the jackass who wouldnt let the #1 guy back in said "you bossed us around all day, now its my turn to boss you around." i dont understand how some people can be such jerks.

luckily #1 guy was able to find a u2 person who knew he had waited in line for over 30 hours and got him his spot at the tip again. but still, you think U2 fans would be civil to each other, but i guess there are always some bad apples.

It was the best of the 3 shows, I think. I was in the very front of the bomb shelter (only one girl in front of me -- the one that got pulled up on stage), which is bound to make any show 10x better :) The band (especially Bono) showed much more energy and emotion then I had seen on the prior Chicago shows. OOTS was a very nice addition, hearing a full band (+1) Party Girl was awesome (a nice part 2 to the performance from the prior night), and the second Vertigo ended the show perfectly. Say what you will about them playing the same song twice, but I wouldn't trade that second performance of Vertigo for anything (okay, maybe Acrobat).

As for the crowd, it was mixed. We had this drunk girl that kept bothering us, and even dropped her full cup of beer on the floor (getting several people wet). She kept trying to push her way forward, and was basically falling into people. Eventually my friend literally picked her up and moved her back. Next up, there were a few people right around me (near the very front of the bomb shelter) that stood there motionless and expressionless the whole show. I kept trying to get them to do something (gotta make the bomb shelter look good on the dvd!), but nothing worked. If you're just going to stand there and do nothing, you might as well just get a reserved ticket.

With that said, the majority of the people I was near were very into the show and jumping around the whole time. A lot of them were seeing U2 for the first time, and they were just stunned the whole show. There was this guy that was probably 15 or 16, who seemed to know just about everything you could about U2, and the whole show he was literally freaking out. It was quite cool :)

I really can't imagine any show will ever top my experience from last night. We took some great pictures from last night, and I should have them posted shortly.

Around New Year's Day, a guy behind us fell (pushed?) the guy next to me so hard that he fell forward & got his foot caught in the seat in front of him. He hurt his ankle, and a fight was SO about to ensue. I was trying to get them to chill, but boys are stupid when testosterone & beer mix, it seems. The guy next to me ended up sitting in my seat cuz I had moved in front of the hubby to get away from the potentially impending fight. When he sat down, I saw his girlfriend talking to him & him crying, so I asked her if she wanted me to get a medic or something. She asked her b'f & he just wanted some ice for his ankle.

This type of behavior is totally uncalled for. It's the opposite of what U2 and their music represent.

Re: This was a great show. Look forward to the DVD.

Jamescorymiko said:

At the end of the show when Bono jumped into the crowd

Did he really? This is the only report that says that he did this.
Can anyone else confirm this? It would be very cool if Bono was behaving that dangerously on this tour, but I haven't gotten that impression. Please, if he did jump into the crowd, give us the details!

Re: Re: This was a great show. Look forward to the DVD.

biff said:
Did he really? This is the only report that says that he did this.
Can anyone else confirm this? It would be very cool if Bono was behaving that dangerously on this tour, but I haven't gotten that impression. Please, if he did jump into the crowd, give us the details!
From my very far away view, it looked like he jumped kinda on the edge of the baricade that was outside the ellipse.
But from our viewpoint, we may have not been able to see it well enough to be positive about this...
It also looked like he took someone's cell phone & tried talking on it. "Hello? Hello? I can't hear you!" Again though, too far away, so not sure...

So, can anyone else comment on this? "Jamescorymiko" mentions it as an aside, as if it was something quite unremarkable. That's clearly deranged. :coocoo:
If Bono did jump into the audience, that would be the subject of rather a lot of comment, I would think. He's not 19 anymore, after all.

To clear up

There was a box of sorts by the rail. He jumped onto this with a leg, so that he was half into the crowd. This was right over the people that I stood in line for GA with. He said "Hello, hello pansy." This was the sign that she had made after meeting him during the pre-show greeting. In fact, I have seen video taken by Imran that shows Bono walking away (towards the Edge's side, then you see him walking back towards them, then the screen goes black, then all of a sudden, you see Bono right above him LITERALLY. It is awesome. He captured the video on his digital camera. I watched it after the show, I could not hear the audio though as we were still in the venue.

SO, just to clear up. He stepped off the Ellipse with what looks like one leg into the crowd. I beleive he was either on a box of sorts or the edge of the rail.

Not completely in, but in enough to have it be pretty awesome. Didn't mean to slight it, just typed my review when I was still on a high, so everything was jumbled a bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom