March 30, San Diego Sports Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back - F'n brilliant once again. Gloria was played - Im beat - Its been an amazing 5 days - Met more cool people - more bills signed - pictures to post but I have to work tomorrow! Another great show.

Great Show. Sounded much better then the first night, although the tapes i heard from it sounded pretty good.

The sound seemed more dialed in tonight. Bono made a comment, "the other night was a rehersal." they knew there were some glitches the other night. Spot on tonight.

pm me if you know were to get those U2 blinky lights!!

Great show, just flew home...shaky couple of songs, Bono was in better shape...overall better than 1st show.

Lottery is terrible. 0 for 2 for us, and we are getting rid of our GA's.

Will post more later. Need sleep, then have to work in an hour!

cmb737 said:
Great show, just flew home...shaky couple of songs, Bono was in better shape...overall better than 1st show.

Lottery is terrible. 0 for 2 for us, and we are getting rid of our GA's.

Will post more later. Need sleep, then have to work in an hour!
wow getting rid of your GA'S because you didnt get into the elipse? bit far weaird isnt it?

Last night's show was much, much better than the first. (I saw both San Diego shows in GA). Bono even acknowledged as much -- claiming that the opener was a "rehearsal" and that they were still getting to "know the songs, each other, and the crowd." I was disappointed to see that some people thought the 3/28 concert was the best ever -- not true. The 3/30 concert demonstrates that they can (and will) improve as the tours goes on. I still don't think they are at the same level as I saw them in the fall 2001.

Anyway, the show was still awesome. Gloria was perhaps the best song of the night, at least for me, and WOWY was a real treat. Totally unexpected. Miracle Drug, like the first show, and Running to Stand Still were stunning. In my opinion, these slower and softer songs, including Yahweh come off really well. They were off on a few songs, but showed a lot more energy and from a technical perspective, the sound was better.

A couple of other notes: At the beginning, Bono pulled up on stage a man, presumably from neighboring Mexico, that translated some of Bono's phrases like "Dublintown is love town" and "love is a drug" or something to that effect.

Bono gave a special shout out to Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam saying that Vedder was from SD and that U2 loved PJ.

Other highlights include Bono taking the drums at the end of Love and Peace and then transitioning into Bloody Sunday.

Looking forward to the other Socal shows.

Harry Vest said:
Where the heck can I see the 3/30 setlist??????

From U2.com:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Cry / Electric Co.
Gloria
Beautiful Day
With or Without You
New Year’s Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running to Standstill
Zoo Station
The Fly
Elevation
Pride in the name of love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
All Because of You
Yahweh
"40"

I loved the show. My Bono is so funny. I had some nosebleeders. The real fans seemed pretty into the show. Gloria and Running to Stand Still were amazing. With or Without You was beautiful. Very different from what I have heard. More of a simple ballad that the very dramatic Elevation version. Love and Peace Or Else was great. Bono's voice sounded great!! Forty was a little off key, but then ended the concert beautifully.

dsmith2904 said:

From U2.com:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Cry / Electric Co.
Gloria
Beautiful Day
With or Without You
New Year’s Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running to Standstill
Zoo Station
The Fly
Elevation
Pride in the name of love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
All Because of You
Yahweh
"40"

Excuse me, but what is this song "Cry" that was before Electric Co? This is the second time I've seen this posted in the setlist of this show. The first time I saw it I thought it was someone's typo. What is this song? I've never heard it even mentioned before?

Having seen both shows, the second was much tighter than the first, but still with flaws. I've seen quite a few shows in my lifetime, and for some reason or another i had one of my best times at the SAN 30th show.

I'm really digging the new material, and the new show. I can see and hear them improving, and the setlist is incredible.

Gloria was a real treat. One thing that I noticed between shows is that Edge totally nailed Electric Co this night. Opening night was cool, but a bit off. But man, was he not only much tighter, but to actually see his physical "rocking-out" on stage and the elipse was incredible. He was going to town!!! A highlight of the show for sure.

Knuckle said:

Excuse me, but what is this song "Cry" that was before Electric Co? This is the second time I've seen this posted in the setlist of this show. The first time I saw it I thought it was someone's typo. What is this song? I've never heard it even mentioned before?

The Cry is an early song that was never recorded. It's used as the intro to Electric Co.

There are a few more details in this thread.

As for getting rid of GAs, I could honestly agree with people on that, although I haven't attended a show yet. A GA means that you're going to have to wait outside all day just to get a good spot next to the ellipse in case you aren't picked....and if you have a lot of people in front of you (and are short), you won't be able to see much.....if I get into the ellipse at my GA show, I'll still probably try to get an Oakland seat this fall, just because it's a guarantee that you get a good view.

Last edited:
Bono inadvertently called 'Camp Penleton" the SD US Navy Boot Camp "Cape" Pendelton.
Supposedly it's in the boot and upon hearing him say that I giggled at the show.

I found the small faux pax endearing.

Silly fellow.
db9:wink:

Last edited:
Actually Camp Pendelton is a US Marine Corp base... not US Navy.

US Navy does operate a medical facility there.

So guess bother faux pax are "endearing".

:wink:

BigMacPhisto said:
As for getting rid of GAs, I could honestly agree with people on that, although I haven't attended a show yet. A GA means that you're going to have to wait outside all day just to get a good spot next to the ellipse in case you aren't picked....and if you have a lot of people in front of you (and are short), you won't be able to see much.....if I get into the ellipse at my GA show, I'll still probably try to get an Oakland seat this fall, just because it's a guarantee that you get a good view.

I was 5 people back and the people at the show were nice to let me stand in front of them 'cause I was short.

dalfan said:
Actually Camp Pendelton is a US Marine Corp base... not US Navy.

US Navy does operate a medical facility there.

So guess bother faux pax are "endearing".

:wink:

yes,
both were endearing.

the 2nd faux pax even being mine:lol:

although he coulda said 'military town' or maybe 'marine' but he did say "cape" pendelton which made me giggle.

so bono.

i think he realized he said 'cape' and quickly started talking about Eddie Vedder:hmm::)

db9

3438674323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E2323855%3A86%3A%3A3ot1lsi

Back
Top Bottom