June 29th Cardiff - Millenium Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so will i - review will be up when i get home - about 4 or 5 hours after the show!

OK, first review then. Just back in from the show.

This is the fourth time I've seen U2 now having been to Zooropa, Popmart and Elevation. Out of all four shows, this is probably the best I've seen them. A fantastic performance.

With the roof covering the stadium there were no issues with the light show. My only disappointment is that it was several songs in before they whacked on the video wall, but I guess I can understand why.

Electric Co was sensational, and a real highlight of the first few numbers. It was good to hear I Will Follow which hasn't had much of an outing during the tour.

The crowd went mad for the first 6-7 numbers, but became a bit subdued when it came to playing the new stuff which was disappointing as COBL, Love & Peace and Miracle Drug were real highlights. The guy next to me was singing and going mental during every number, but sat down when it came to the new material!

The highlight of the set though was Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own. I've heard the bootlegs of this tour, and they have been playing this well, but they absolutely nailed it tonight. Bono's vocal was amazing, and it just blew me away.

Love & Peace was superb, well played, and well sung. Bono drumming at the end was an interesting sight.

I'm not a big fan of Sunday Bloody Sunday, but it was superb. Note, that the guy next to me got out of his seat again for this!

One was played brilliantly, on par with the ZooTV tour. They even had Unchained Melody back into the end of it. Bono tried singing this but was overtaken by the crowd, and in the end gave up to let 80,000 fans sing along.

They really need to look at the encore in my opinion. I'm a huge, huge fan of Achthung Baby, my favourite album of all time, but Zoo Station and The Fly back to back to start the encore didn't work at all. The crowd just went flat.

All in all, an amazing show. Anyone who has been questionning Bono's voice on this tour can think again, it sounds as good as the ZooTV tour. Having knocked out 3 nights at Croke Park, with one day off, his voice was superb.

My big, big gripe though, and I say this for every U2 show I've been to over the years. The sound was dreadful. It was a struggle in every song to hear Bono. I've been to lots of gigs, including stadiums and you can hear the singer as clear as anything. At every U2 show the sound is just crap. I couldn't hear Bono during Vertigo. There is just no excuse for this. They've had the same sound engineer for 27 years, perhaps a quiet word in his ear to get it sorted!

Overall opinion though, 9/10. Amazing show, best band in the world, no question!

Just back - heres what I can come up with

Its 3:45am and I have been up since 4am so I may miss out a few things... more detailed review later.

Got there at 9.30am to gate 1. They had no queuing system... infact it was rubbish - in the end they didnt even have wristbadns - instead they let in multiple gates at the same time and it was a CRAZY rush to get into the inner circle (they were letting people in from 2 sides) - definitley lacked the planning on Twickenham - me and my friend satisfied ourselves with a spot on the railing (centre) of the outer circle rather than a poor spot in the inner circle (least we get something to lean on, which we needed! and extra height, which I needed!)

Indeed, the inner circle was VERY empty looking! Loads of people wnated to go in but I am not sure what happened....

Starsailor - don't really know enough to comment

The Killers - best of the 4 supports I have seen, pretty good live, didn't do 'Mr Brightside' or 'All These Things' as well as I expected though!

The sound for both was rubbish.

The stadium looks amazingly small - even half the size of Twickenham! Its hard to believe even a full sized football (soccer) pitch fits into it - maybe its because the roof was closed - which would provide great video and sound right?

Wrong - U2 didn't start using the screen much until COBL (which is when they started anyway outdoors) - the sound was not that great - better than Twickenham 1 and 2 I would say but still not good enough IMO - you just can't hear Bono - where we were stood there was some distortion and his voice sounded comical at times! They also had some tech difficulties with the screen on top of the speakers throughout (they spent ages trying to fix it before the show started)

The atmosphere was good - pretty much like a indoor arena - so I won't bother visiting North America to satisfy that need anymore :)

Also I am almost certain the small the light screen smaller for that stage (the

One criticism I would have of the crowd is that they sing TOO MUCH and TOO LOUD as they almost always drown out Bono...what can the guy do...?

Funnily enough some bird shit fell from the roofs even though the roof was closed - we looked up and nothing could be seen - any ideas?? Got some on my jacket :(

Bono pulled out a banner from the crowd which had a quote from his about how we can Make Poverty History by working as ONE - which was pretty cool.

Setlist was pretty standard, WOWY was played - no Bad or UTEOTW (only 2 U2 songs I really wanna hear live) - naturally Vertigo 2 was played - they played well past 10:30pm but they started like 20mins late.

Unchained Melody snippet was done as was Happy Birthday/Walk.

All in all a pretty solid show - no real criticsm apart from sound quality and queue managemant - my non U2 fan friend went and he didn't much like the U2/Charity stuff!

For anyone wanting to visit the Millennium Stadium by car I would reconsider - the traffic afterwards was horrendous on the M4! (plus you have to pay to get in, via the M4 but not to get out)

Also feel sorry for anyone who paid to have certain seats near the stage (on the stage) as they had very poor views! (when looking at a stage setup they would look good) but they are not!

Had a blast myself (and my not so die-hard big brother). Organisation for the bomb shelter seemed a bit wayward and on the dash into the stadium it seemed like chances of getting in there were pretty slim so we opted for seats about 9 rows back and adjacent to the B-stages. Fantastic view, even when, by the time U2 came on, the ailses were full of people.

The stadium was packed and the atmosphere was outstanding.

I was kinda hoping they'd take advantage of having a closed roof and therefore use the screen all through the gig which would perhaps result in a shaken up set-list. They didn't but I'm glad of it.

Without the screen, the first half dozen songs just rocked, big time. The crowd were really into every song. Someone else commented about Bono's voice being too quiet, I think it's maybe more that the overall sound was (surprisingly) quiet and this combined with a raucous, sing along to every word, crowd to drown out the B-man a bit. No matter, it was fantastic to hear some old friends like Electric Co., New Year's Day and ISHFWILF again. Communal singing en masse, fists pumping or hands clapping all through the building, it was very much like U2 shows from way back.

But then the screens came on. Don't get me wrong here, it was stunning, and the band were still playing a blinder, but it felt like too many people got caught up in the visuals and not the music. I know I certainly found myself standing and staring when I should have been dancing and yelling. A couple of times Bono would try to coax some singiing from the crowd and it just didn't happen, probably 'cause most were paying attention to the screens.

The Fly was probably the best example of the screen doing more harm than good. The boys played a snorting version of it, but there appeared to be little or no jumping about during it. Surely that can't be right?

The HTDAAB songs were excelent, SYCMIOYO was beautiful and ABOY and Vertigo rocked, but I couldn't help but wonder how the rest of them would fare without the added visuals. Maybe it was the distraction of the screens, but I couldn't help but feel the album lacks songs that work live as well as, for example, the vast majority of Achtung songs did on ZOO TV tour or the ATYCLB songs did on Elevation.

As well as they were played, and as good as they are, I can't imagine Miracle Drug, COBL, Yahweh and maybe even LAPOE and SYCMIOYO making return appearances next tour. Don't get me wrong, I really loved them, but I wonder if they're up there with some of the band's best live songs.

Once the screens came on, the band/crowd interplay suffered a little bit and though it hardly fell flat, juxtaposed against the opening numbers with just band, crowd and some effective but simple lights, it showed that U2 are a kick ass live band who really don't need any of the whistles and bells that accompanied most of the second half.

Best bits were where the band and crowd were united, or even when the crowd took over. ISHFWILF ending with the crowd just singing the refrain over and over, Bono and Edge starting Unchained Melody and us finishing it with the band looking on (Larry in particular) in astonishment and then applauding us as we finished.

I was convinced for a second were going to get the "Shine like stars" ending to WOWY but it didn't arrive, still a fab rendition of it, best I've heard since JT days.

Yahweh was gorgeous and Vertigo Reprise went down a storm.

Overall, best U2 show I've seen, excellent venue for them (turn the band up a bit next time though Joe). The crowd had come to party though and were ready to sing every line, shame the visual aspect took away from that a little bit, but no harm, no foul.

My brother, on the drive home, was on the phone to his girlie and said, "Hands down, they proved why they are the best live band there's ever been. I was blown away."

I ain't gonna argue, just say, "Next time, more band, less wizardry on the screens, you just don't need it."

Cardiff

I agree that the video screens worked very well last night, however I agree that the sound was poor- especially during the Killers- the first song they played has a bass line but you couldn't hear it at all, then later on the bass was so loud it was shaking the foundations. The sound has been fine at the outdoor shows and U2 were much better than either of the support bands, but overall it wasn't quite as good as the outdoor shows

the set list was fine, no real suprises but I was quite happy with it. The crowd didn't seem to know Zoo Station or The Fly (something I noticed at all the concerts), which I still find strange given that one was a big hit single and the other is from one of their best albums.

Personally I thought that Millenium Stadium was a rubbish venue for a concert, and unless there is a compelling reason to do so I won't go to another concert there- crap road access ( 4 hours to drive 70 miles), far too many people in the GA area= poor views unless you're 8 foot tall or squished at the barrier at the front, and not allowing you to take in small bottles of water (even without tops) so they can sell you water once inside

Cardiff

first post here so bare with me !
whats with all the abbreviations ? Havent a clue what you guys are talking about ! Is there a dictionary somewhere ?

Went to cardiff last night and had a great time overall. Had general admission tickets which is the first time since popmart at wembley stadium. The atmosphere was great and not too much brawling going on but I agree, the sound was really drowned out by the crowd. The killers were louder though the bass almost dissolved my lungs. In both cases, the vocals should have been pushed up higher.

Dont know what was going on in beautiful day but the chorus lacked any oomph at all - I thought larry's drums and adam's bass had both died! Anyway, it improved after that but still not ideal. Better than Elevation at Earls Court which was utter crap (the sound, not the band). My only other observation was that adams bass seems out of tune on 2 of the 4 notes in With or Without you (WOWY?) - was that just me ?

Im sure In 'U2 uncovered' on ITV (or maybe it was the new video?) they had glitter fall from the roof in city of blinding lights - perhaps cos they were being recorded ?

My only gripe was why play Vertigo twice when they have so much other material they could end with ?

Anyway, a great night and a great show again by u2 on my 4th concert of theirs - how do you die-hard fans get tickets to everything - I had 4 internet browsers and 2 phone lines and I still ended up with tickets 120 miles from home on the wrong day :-(

which brings me finally round to the stadium. what the hell is going on here ? Took me 4 hours to drive there from reading and not much less getting back ! I stupidly thought 'park and ride' would mean a car park on the outskirts of the city near the motorway and bus lanes to the stadium but oh no. The car park is about half a mile out of the city and you sit in traffic the 8 miles from the M4 - come on Cardiff council, wake up. I could have walked faster !

Nick

## OH DEAR - LEARNER DRIVER - PLEASE MOVE POST TO "June 29th Cardiff - Millenium Stadium" THREAD - SORRY ##

P-T-P said:
Had a blast myself (and my not so die-hard big brother). Organisation for the bomb shelter seemed a bit wayward and on the dash into the stadium it seemed like chances of getting in there were pretty slim so we opted for seats about 9 rows back and adjacent to the B-stages. Fantastic view, even when, by the time U2 came on, the ailses were full of people.

The stadium was packed and the atmosphere was outstanding.

I was kinda hoping they'd take advantage of having a closed roof and therefore use the screen all through the gig which would perhaps result in a shaken up set-list. They didn't but I'm glad of it.

Without the screen, the first half dozen songs just rocked, big time. The crowd were really into every song. Someone else commented about Bono's voice being too quiet, I think it's maybe more that the overall sound was (surprisingly) quiet and this combined with a raucous, sing along to every word, crowd to drown out the B-man a bit. No matter, it was fantastic to hear some old friends like Electric Co., New Year's Day and ISHFWILF again. Communal singing en masse, fists pumping or hands clapping all through the building, it was very much like U2 shows from way back.

But then the screens came on. Don't get me wrong here, it was stunning, and the band were still playing a blinder, but it felt like too many people got caught up in the visuals and not the music. I know I certainly found myself standing and staring when I should have been dancing and yelling. A couple of times Bono would try to coax some singiing from the crowd and it just didn't happen, probably 'cause most were paying attention to the screens.

The Fly was probably the best example of the screen doing more harm than good. The boys played a snorting version of it, but there appeared to be little or no jumping about during it. Surely that can't be right?

The HTDAAB songs were excelent, SYCMIOYO was beautiful and ABOY and Vertigo rocked, but I couldn't help but wonder how the rest of them would fare without the added visuals. Maybe it was the distraction of the screens, but I couldn't help but feel the album lacks songs that work live as well as, for example, the vast majority of Achtung songs did on ZOO TV tour or the ATYCLB songs did on Elevation.

As well as they were played, and as good as they are, I can't imagine Miracle Drug, COBL, Yahweh and maybe even LAPOE and SYCMIOYO making return appearances next tour. Don't get me wrong, I really loved them, but I wonder if they're up there with some of the band's best live songs.

Once the screens came on, the band/crowd interplay suffered a little bit and though it hardly fell flat, juxtaposed against the opening numbers with just band, crowd and some effective but simple lights, it showed that U2 are a kick ass live band who really don't need any of the whistles and bells that accompanied most of the second half.

Best bits were where the band and crowd were united, or even when the crowd took over. ISHFWILF ending with the crowd just singing the refrain over and over, Bono and Edge starting Unchained Melody and us finishing it with the band looking on (Larry in particular) in astonishment and then applauding us as we finished.

I was convinced for a second were going to get the "Shine like stars" ending to WOWY but it didn't arrive, still a fab rendition of it, best I've heard since JT days.

Yahweh was gorgeous and Vertigo Reprise went down a storm.

Overall, best U2 show I've seen, excellent venue for them (turn the band up a bit next time though Joe). The crowd had come to party though and were ready to sing every line, shame the visual aspect took away from that a little bit, but no harm, no foul.

My brother, on the drive home, was on the phone to his girlie and said, "Hands down, they proved why they are the best live band there's ever been. I was blown away."

I ain't gonna argue, just say, "Next time, more band, less wizardry on the screens, you just don't need it."
people just enjoy concerts in different ways, they dont have to jump up and down all the time, also i think COBL, Love and Peace, and sometimes will become staples, as they are all amazin live imo

i though bonos vocal during the fly was drowned out by the beasting of the guitars, the edge was goin for it full on, and the visual display was brilliant.
cant believe some people walking out of the front area before, during and after the 1st encore.

traffic was a shambles though, took over an hour to get out of the carpark, and almost an hour to get to the motorway.

by far the best gig ive ever seen and am ever likely to.

AMAZING!!

:wink:

Wow,what a night. This was about my 15th U2 gig since 1983 and I have to say that it was one of the best. I had GA tickets and managed to get lower tier seats to the side of Edge's B stage. The sound was excellent and Bono's vocals superb. The roof being closed totally made the evening, the atmosphere was electric. I also went to Manchester 14th and had a terrible time, was in GA in middle of pitch. Couldn't here Bono at all and the music was far too quiet. It was that bad that I was really apprehensive about Cardiff, especially as I took my sister who hadn't been to see U2 since the Joshua tree tour. My fears about the sound were allayed when the Killers produced a storming performance. I have read many mixed reviews of this tour (including poor ones of Cardiff) and following my experiences can only say that with these stadium gigs it is totally down to your position as to whether you get a great gig or not. This is a major fault (especially considering the cost of tickets), as we all know U2 always put in a great performance. I only hope that in the future they might play indoors over here again, but if not lets hope Cardiff,roof closed,remains a venue to be used (even if it was a nightmare getting too and from).:wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
people just enjoy concerts in different ways, they dont have to jump up and down all the time, also i think COBL, Love and Peace, and sometimes will become staples, as they are all amazin live imo

For sure people enjoy the gigs in different ways, it was just really noticeable that for the first bunch of songs, everyone was jumping around but that almost universally stopped once the screens came on with the exception of some of the later songs. It's fair to say that the vast majority of the crowd were ready to jump around but whether because of the screen or just the new songs, they stopped.

As for COBL, LAPOE and SYCMIOYO becoming staples, I would guess after Vertigo they are the most likely candidates for becoming staples on future tours, but just like we're only getting a couple of ATYCLB songs this time around, similarly with the HTDAAB songs. Unless they decide to start playing 3 hour gigs (and I won't mind that at all).

COBL is a great song, but it's a bit of a medium pacer, too quick for a ballad, too slow to really jump around to all the way through and not a slow burner like Bad.

I suppose what I'm saying is, for a future tour, there's gonna be 8 new album songs to come into the set, that means they're gonna have to make some choices as to what to leave out to incorporate HTDAAB songs. Would you want SYCMIOYO in place of, I dunno, One? COBL instead of Streets perhaps?

I'd like to see and hear the new songs in a more straight ahead gig environment without the distraction of the visuals to know if they can really cut it the way Elevation and Beautiful Day do.

here's my review, also posted at the U2 community on LJ. :)

After a nightmare journey to Cardiff, we parked in the park and ride, which was signposted on the M4, so we had no troubles… Just a bit of traffic around the Newport junction. Got the bus to the centre, and made our way to the stadium…there wasn’t many people at our gate (gate 1) so we didn’t have to wait long before getting in. I couldn’t believe how many people were there already! Looked at the merchandise for a bit, I got a programme, and a dark grey t-shirt with silhouettes of the boys on. I then worried if it would fit as the sizes were pretty tight as while I was waiting some woman exchanged hers for a men’s medium… But I didn’t like the men’s one cos it had all the tour dates on, the ladies one just had the print on the front and was quite plain really… I tried it on when I got home and the size I got fits me perfectly! I wore it to work the next day!

Well, I’m not really a fan of either support act, but watched anyway so not to lose places. They were ok, I preferred The Killers, but I only knew 2 songs of theirs, they were ok. So anyway… I was just there to see U2, and was really hyped about it cos it was my first time seeing them live! In fact, *so stupid* but I had been nervous about going all day, part excitement I think, I just get all excited and I can’t eat/sleep cos I’m so hyped up. Strange? Yes. ;)

Ok, so it started with Vertigo and I just couldn’t believe that U2 were right in front of me! Well not like RIGHT in front, but y’know. Vertigo is amazing live. There was a pause after this and then started I Will Follow which was totally rocking!!! So amazing! Next up was Electric Co, which I’m not such a huuuge fan of, but it was still cool.

By now I realised I wasn’t that impressed with the screens on either side. No. As I had some real tall people in front of me, I didn’t get a direct view of Bono, which majorly sucked. But hey. So I kept looking up at the screens in hope it’d flicker and I’d get to see him on there. I was on the left side, and the left screen had Edge and Larry (not that I’m complaining about thaaaaat!) and the right screen had Bono and Adam. And it didn’t change for ages. I’ve been to many Corrs concerts and their big screens change all the time with views of all the band members and whole stage, plus the extra guys in the band… It was kinda disappointing to 1, not be able to see Bono properly (damn tall people!) and also 2, that the big screens didn’t cater for the short people. :p

Anyway, next up was Elevation which Was. So. Cool. It started off with just Bono singing and gearing the crowd up, getting everyone singing along. I did a recording of this on my phone (quality is pretty craptastic) but it’s cool enough and a great memory! Elevation is one of my favourite songs so I’m glad it was in the set! And also, getting the whole audience “Oooooh-ooh-ooooh-ing”.

Next song was New Year's Day I loved this. Totally rocked. Beautiful Day started next and I do love this song too! I did another recording on the mobile. Next was I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For which has such a fantastic intro and was great. Surprise next, it was All I Want Is You and I love this song and I also love the Bellefire cover of it. Too cool.

Another favourite song was next: City Of Blinding Lights, and the backdrop for this was fantastic, all the lights glittering behind, really pretty. Really awesome. And then, Miracle Drug</B> which was for all the nurses. Especially the nurses. And this comment reminded me of a Friends episode. *so inappropriate I know* Something Chandler or Joey had said in the past, some time ago now. But I’ll shut up about Friends.

The next song was Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own which Bono dedicated to his father and his fathers friend Ken. Don’t all hate me now, but I’m not a great fan of this song… I like it, yeah, but I can’t always listen to it, it doesn’t “grab me” like many other songs.

Love and Peace started next and Bono had this funky hat on and was all soldier-ish. Very cool, and it’s one of my favourite songs off HTDAAB anyway so I loved it. Towards the end of the song Bono went nuts on the drums, which was so freaking cool! And I just knew it’d be Sunday Bloody Sunday next. That ROCKED! So awesome. And Bono on the drums… *fans self* ;)

Bullet The Blue Sky was next and that was cool… Bono got a blindfold with “Coexist” written on, and blindfolded himself. That was amazing. Then Running To Stand Still … then was Pride which I love… (Did some more mobile recording!)

Where The Streets Have No Name was next and that was great! I love this song and the build up to it is just fab and there’s nothing like hearing this song live! On the backdrop to this song was all kinds of flag and it reminded me of Madonna’s re-invention tour, she had a load of flags across the screens during some songs. Anyway, the song was amazing.

Next was One, which is so beautiful… Before the song started, Bono told the audience that if they had any life in their phones, to keep the backlights on so the audience would be like a night’s sky! He also requested that all the lights get shut off, but that didn’t happen! Boo. I took a picture of the audience with my phone:

nTImVNwffc.jpg

Bono drifted into Unchained Melody at the end of One, which was also very beautiful and all I ever think about when I hear this song is the movie Ghost. I plan to watch that sometime soon now. The guys then left the stage.

Of course, the guys were back and started Zoo Station, so cool! Then, The Fly and then, With Or Without You and near the end he got some girl on the stage with him. Then once more, the guys left the stage… a lot of people around me started to leave but I didn’t think it was the end, so stayed put!

A few seconds later, the intro to All Because Of You began and wow, this was AMAZING!!! Oh my god, I love this song and everyone was bouncing to this! So fucking cool! Next was Yahweh, which toned the audience down a bit. We decided to head for the stairs now while everyone was standing still, so we’d be halfway out of there when it’d finish. (I had an instinct they’d do Vertigo last)… So we stood on the stairs to watch the last bit of the concert, and yes, Vertigo was the very last song, SO amazing. I recorded lots on my mobile, plus a few videos (which are shit quality!) and a once round the stadium at the entire crowd rocking out to the song. It was just the perfect end to the show. Amazing.

We then made our way through the swarms of people to the bus park and ride stop to get back to the car park. Got home around 2am cos of stupid traffic again. :p

Concert highs:

El-Uh-Vay-Shun!!! Oooooh-ooh-ooooh…
Build up to ’Streets
The mobile thing before One.
Oh, when Bono talked about how Edge is like St. Patrick, cos they stole him from Wales…Funny.
Bono on drums!!!
The speech about Aung San Suu Kyi. L
Vertigo.
City of Blinding lights, lights.
Probably lots more…

Concert lows:

Stupid people fighting near where I was… (Some of them got thrown out)
There was no BAD
That the stadium is such a shit to get to.
The big screens either side of the stage. (Though later in the concert, almost halfway, they showed more of each band member, not just one camera shot of the same one.)
Oh and that the platform Bono walks out on, should have been higher so short people like me can see. :p
Oh, and lets just add, the stage should have been higher too, so short people like me could see. (Joking…)

Drove from Leeds with our lass. Arrived in Cardiff at 2pm. Very easy traffic access at this time. Had a few pints near the stadium. Stayed the night in cardiff (about 20 mins walk from stadium).

Went into stadium early and sampled the bar inside. Guinness was quite poor but this was to be expected due to the speed at which it was being pulled. Staff in the stadium were great. More than helpful.

I was hoping that the stadium roof would be closed so that the screen and lighting would have its full effect. It was indeed closed so we took to our seets which were on the upper tier. Nose bleed height. Was also suprised at how small the stadium looks when the roof is closed.

First on were Starsailor.
I was quite shocked at first not knowing that they were one of the supports. For a few minutes I thought that they had replaced The Killers. Luckilly not!
I have`nt heared a more depressing band or seen a more half hearted performance in my life. It was at this point that we also found out the downside of having the roof closed. The damn tin echo. It was like being in a train station.

Next were The Killers.
An excellent performance by the lads. Am now a Killers fan. Its always very difficult for support bands as they have to play with little lighting and only have access to a quater of the staging area etc. However they put a 100% into their performance. The sound quality was also a touch better. Smile like you mean it was the highlight in my opinion. Only downside was that I missed Mr Brightside due to an urgent toilet and bar trip.

Then came U2.
Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce. Six of the most physically knackering songs ever to started a concert. I dont know where Bono gets his energy but by the time Beautiful day came I needed a legs transplant and was praying for a slow song to give me a rest.
I will follow was a masterpiece and made me realise how similar it is to Vertigo.
New Years Day is one of my all time favourites and was delighted to see Bono hammer it to a tee. It must be a very demanding song on Bono`s aging vocal chords but he did`nt bottle out of a single note.
Our lass was happy that All I want is you got an outing.
The next 5 or 6 songs including I still have`nt found... and miracle drug were a welcome rest for my legs. Although It did`nt mean sitting down, just less jumping.
However I knew that the monster was only around the corner and ready to jump out at any minute. And it came, Sunday Bloody Sunday. My favourite U2 song and the lads did a great job.
Could`nt make out what Bono was saying between the songs as the sound quality where we were sitting was shite.

Did`nt reckon much to Zoo Station but The Fly was quality. Concert finished with a great version of Yahweh and vertigo. Was a bit gutted that Party Girl did`nt get an outing but what the heck I was`nt too dissapointed.

The concert finished and it was home time. Well hotel time. Felt sorry for anybody having to drive home that night as the traffic looked awful. Travelled home to Leeds the next day.

Summing up.

Best points.
I will follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Phone time.
Pride
Killers

Worst points
Sound quality was crap
Official Programme prices
Crowd Booing Tony Blair (Felt it was a bit hipocritical and shallow of the fans. And his picture should`nt have put on the screens) Just did`nt feel right
Starsailor

I think that now is the time for U2 to go back and start innovating again. The last two albums have been a bit too predictable and commercialy happy. Too many of the recent song sound like they have been written for the match of the day ending sequence. Fair enough and they have won over the world again.

Its time for another Achtung Baby. Reinvention time. And on the next tour forget all these echoy rickity stadiums. Bring the band and whole damn circus to Roundhay Park, Knebworth, Lough Lommond, Slaine etc. These are real rock venues fit for the biggest band Earth.

Cheers

antmccarthy said:
Too many of the recent song sound like they have been written for the match of the day ending sequence.

Heh heh heh

It'll be interesting to hear what their next album will be like won't it. Not that I've got to grips with their latest yet.

I've got a bone to pick about not reckoning much to Zoo Station mind......;-)

Think the poor sound where we were sat meant that we could hardly make out Zoo Station. Noise and echo

But not to worry

Back
Top Bottom