June 14th Manchester - City of Manchester Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Manchester 14th June

We arrived at the Stadium around 12.00 pm and found the q for turnstile Y to be almost non exixtant, So we went for a quiet beer in the manchester City club shop and very nice it was too.

Joined the q at one but was still very near to the front.The gates eventually opened at 4.30 pm.We entered the Ground and were given a white wrist band. I assumed that it was just proof of having passed through the turnstile and didnt realise it was access to area closer to the stage.

This was only my second ever U2 show (previous 93 at leeds zooropa) So I was extatic when my fiance and I found out that the wrist bands got us into the shelter. We made our way to the front of the left target and remained there for the whole show.

Never in all the concerts have I been to have I had such a vantage point, the view was awesome being at times just 4 foot from bono,edge and adam.

I thought the first few songs were a little too quiet it was Hard to hear Bono's vocals above the crowd singing. This picked up however and I thought overall the sound quality was crystal clear, Bonos vocalls were top notch too he was on top form.

Edge is a Superstar, the memory of him going for it during the electric co guitar solo just a few foot in front of me will remain forever. What a performer that man is.

Also the duel with Bono during Mysterious ways was brilliant one of many show highlights

Adam =coolness personified

My only slight dissapointment was the seque into streets it just didnt work for me, Sorry just my opinion.

Otherwise a fantastic once in a lifetime experience that i doubt will ever be repeated.

Thanks guys

I agree with your Streets comment,but i think it was cause the crowd stopped singing the oh,oh,oh,oh bit from Pride and Bono had to get it going again.I don't think a link between any song and Streets can work when it's forced like that.Not by any means the bands fault,but an unreceptive audience,cause as we've heard on most of the tapes so far with the right audience it works fine.

on its day the link can be the best, the wowohoh part going in to streets can be so hanunting, listening to some bootlegs of it for instance,

I do agree the whole thing was forced and you are right Bono did have to try to get the crowd going again.
It was hard to judge what the atmosphere was like from where I was. By all acounts it was not too good

mackemlad said:
I do agree the whole thing was forced and you are right Bono did have to try to get the crowd going again.
It was hard to judge what the atmosphere was like from where I was. By all acounts it was not too good

I was over by the left side walkway (on Edges side) and the atmosphere was excellent. Everyone was having a great time, jumping about and singing.

Re: Manchester 14th June

mackemlad said:
Also the duel with Bono during Mysterious ways was brilliant one of many show highlights

You weren't that far away from where me and my friends were stood! We were the ones with the banner for Bono! Did you see it? I loved seeing Bono and Edge circle eachother during MW - too cool :) WOWY was a highlight for me too, and Sunday Bloody Sunday, the place just went ballistic during those songs!!

WE were close to Adam's walkway and got afantastic view of him and Bono,I'm in agreement with lisa2004 about WOWY and SBS i also found SYCMIOYO very touching,as i looked across the walkway i could see a few people in tears as they sang out to Bono and i'm not ashamed to admit to getting a bit emotional myself.All in all a fantastic show just a pity about some the boring bastards standing like statues when others around never stopped jumping and singing their hearts out,i know i went home hoarse and my legs are still aching!

WE were close to Adam's walkway and got afantastic view of him and Bono,I'm in agreement with lisa2004 about WOWY and SBS i also found SYCMIOYO very touching,as i looked across the walkway i could see a few people in tears as they sang out to Bono and i'm not ashamed to admit to getting a bit emotional myself.All in all a fantastic show just a pity about some the boring bastards standing like statues when others around never stopped jumping and singing their hearts out,i know i went home hoarse and my legs are still aching!
:wink:

Sometimes was so emotional, I am looking forward to Twickenham as we have good seats on that side of the Stadium so will be able to see Adam's walkway better...

The gig was amazing though - I don't understand why people go and stand there like lemons the whole time, I had an amazing time - don't think I stopped singing the whole gig

Lisa

lisa2004 said:
Sometimes was so emotional, I am looking forward to Twickenham as we have good seats on that side of the Stadium so will be able to see Adam's walkway better...

The gig was amazing though - I don't understand why people go and stand there like lemons the whole time, I had an amazing time - don't think I stopped singing the whole gig

Lisa
Do you think some people went because they had been given tickets by friends who could'nt go or they don't know the older material if not maybe they're afraid to show their feelings unlike me who get's a bit carried away.
Enjoy the Twickenham show i just wish i was going.

this was my first U2 concert and it was absolutely incredible!

I got there at about 1:00 and lined up, eventually at about 4:30 they opened the gates and we all ran in oonly to find you needed to collect a wristband on the way in so that you could get into the front section. after running back to the gate and getting my wristband I went to the front and grabbed a spot on the rail just where the walkway comes out on Edge's side.

The Bravery came on and were pretty rubbish, the sound kept cutting out which didn't help! next Snow patrol played and were really good, the crowd started to get going for them.

eventually U2 came on and I got my first glimpse of the boys in real life, it was cool!
after that it was a bit of a blur of singing and dancing and generally having a great time. here are a few highlights:

I will follow was great, we heard it in the soundcheck so were kinda expecting it but it was still really exciting to hear the start of it!

Electric Co. was absolutely incredible, Edge really rocked out on this and was right in front of where I was standing. everyone around me was singing despite it not being one of their better known songs.

New years day was good, I'm not a great fan of this song but live it just had so much energy.

City of blinding lights was good, bono brought a little girl up onto the stage but then didn't seem to know what to do with her, it was cool though!

Sometimes was good but Bono was out on the b-stage farthest away from me for most of it so the 'sing' part wasn't as powerful as it could have been.

The Sunday bloody Sunday -> Bullet sequence was really good, I loved the little snippet of 'Please' in Bullet, that's one of my favourite songs.

Streets was amazing, there was just so much colour! I agree with what people say about the segue from pride into streets not working too well but that doesn't stop streets from being an awesome song.

One was great (I'm running out of words to describe them now!), at the beginning while Bono was talking, Edge was playing around on the guitar instead of having the synth, it was good. Bono stopped singing for quite a lot of it and just let the crowd carry the tune.

The Zoo TV encore was amazing, it had finally got dark by this point and the graphics on the screen were really effective. The Fly particularly was such a good experience - seeing the Edge rock out that solo just a few feet away was brilliant!

Mysterious ways was fun, everyone was singing and dancing, Bono's dancing was funny!

With or without you was a real highlight of the show, it is one of my favouirite songs and the whole atmosphere by that point was incredible.

Yahweh was good, the graphics on the big screen were fantastic, i spent most of the time watching them instead of the band (who were behind me on the b-stages)

the second Vertigo was a great show closer - I think they should start with something else and leave Vertigo 'til the end.

Overall a fantastic experience, once it got dark the big screen was amazing. I was suprised that the sound wasn't too loud despite being right at the front, I took earplugs but didn't use them.

you can see some of my photos here

Take care, Rich

Thought Manchester was awesome!

Seems I was near to most of you guys as well. I was to the left of the left hand target.

Lisa - where you the ones that got on stage with the banner? If so, defiantly saw you both as was about 5 foot away!

Trying to get a ticket for Cardiff now!!

Back
Top Bottom