June 12th Gelsenkirchen - Schalke Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, here's a short one :)

My first U2 show after almost eight years, and it was really great. For U2, it was the second show on the "European" stage with two long catwalks instead of the "egg". And this was the evening after the success of the drop the depth campaign, and of course Bono was in a fine mood and commented on this. He said he wanted to thank the politicians involved in this decision but there were still many things to do. Our "reward" was a very funny Party Girl Version before the rocking second "Vertigo" closed the show. Bono forgot the lyrics of PG after the first verse. While Edge played on, he said "I'm in trouble here" and sprinted back the whole length of the catwalk to ask Edge who didn't know them either and just sung do-do-do until Bono finally found back into the song :wink:

The Band and most of the 60.000+ audience were really in a fine mood, and brilliant verisons of Sometimes, LAPOE, Bullet and a gorgeous ZooTV part were only some of the results of it.
Additionally, With or without you reappeared on the setlist, much to the joy of the crowd who sang along frantically.

Unfortunately, there must have been a few sound problems in some parts of the huge Gelsenkirchen Arena "Auf Schalke" (named after the local very famous soccer club), because of the closed rooftop.

For me, it was really great to see U2 back - and in such good spirits. Adam spent much time on the catwalk, grinning lazily all the time. The Edge did some really furious guitar solos. I can't say much about Larry, because I was close to the left B-Stage while Larry only appeared on the right one. U2 proved that they are still the greatest rock band on Earth, and I'm relly looking forward to see them again in a few weeks in Berlin :)

Last edited:
I'd like to add one thing you might find interesting:

There is a poll on a German U2 message board asking people about their opinion about the Schalke gig.

It seems that the big majority of the voters rate the show between very good and exceptionally good. Some of them note sound problems, though.

...as I have posted on www.u2-vertigo-tour.com:

So, after thinking about what was happening, here's my review. VERTIGO is the "new" opener for the European shows - and it works very well with the band rocking the crowd from the very start. None of the classic 2005 snippets is to be heard in these tunes.
At #2 we'll get the first change - yes, every night there is a different set list - with a rather early, but still punching UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD at the tour premiere and BEAUTIFUL DAY (again no snippet!) in Germany. The latter with its sounds reminding of the early days works far better and so the next spot is THE CRY with the following, awesome THE ELECTRIC CO. including its snippets being celebrated by the audience. At least by those fans, who have an idea of U2's musical treasure; in Brussels we had only the BOY track.
ELEVATION has remained the near a cappella song of the US tour - with great crowd participation on both nights. But for NEW YEAR'S DAY the prize goes to Brussels: Bono played the beautiful hypnotic solo piano intro, you might know from 1983's Remix version - incredible intense and unique, because we didn't get that moment anymore in Germany.
CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS jumps between the guitar sliding a la live "Hawkmoon 269" and the punky outro being another highlight of the tour. The still beautiful MIRACLE DRUG was weaker in Gelsenkirchen than in Brussels - Adam and The Edge had some problems. But whoever doesn't feel the chill, pain and emotion of SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN with Bono giving everything - well, no words necessary.
The political trio of the driving LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE, the stronger than on previous tours SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY and the new guitar solo inspired BULLET THE BLUE SKY including his moving POW performance is the center of the tour now -with Bono telling the message. The full band, piano based RUNNING TO STAND STILL was another highlight on both nights - with long harp intros, beautifully sung and the ending we wait for since the 80ies: the "...still running..." outro being a dialogue between Bono and the audience.
Then there's the next fixed part in the setlist: PRIDE, WHERE THE STRRETS HAVE NO NAME and ONE. But inbetween new inspired version by Bono's "Africa" topic there's a shadow over the concerts now: There's too much talk - and the idea, to send SMS for money (and love?!) to a number, being broadcast on the screens is exactly the kind of the commercialized, perverted tele-preacher U2 have ever tried to fight against since the 80ies or during ZOO TV, too. Apart from the ideas and the idealism, this way of presentation and performance with mobile phones may be the 21st century. But it's not, what I like - the band members don't look anymore in the faces of happy fans, but a forest of outstretched arms with mobile phones in the hands. ZOO TV has become a reality - a sad one. Plus most of the fans unfortunately using a (U2-)concert more to get drunk and to chat than to be really interested in the words and the sounds.
To the encore(s): The ACHTUNG BABY trio ZOO STATION, THE FLY and MYSTERIOUS WAYS rocks. With a surprise in Gelsenkirchen: WITH OR WITHOUT YOU played without pulling a (hysterical) girl on stage and instead singing the tune inspired - what an awesome version. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU and the acoustic YAHWEH lead the gigs in a beautiful way towards their end after more than two hours (!) of great, great music. With the German exception of the band incorporating another classic of the early 80ies: PARTY GIRLY played spontaneously first by Bono and The Edge only and then with Adam and Larry joining in - and playing the Punk-Outro with the crowd singing along. The 2nd VERTIGO - with´snippets - closes the shows, much better versions than the 1st performances of each night. I don't want to miss Brussels with some great versions and a beautiful snippet of HERE COMES THE SUN, too - but the gig in Schalke with a roof over our heads created a much more intimate atmosphere and sound. I'm looking forward to next week ...

Back
Top Bottom