Boston: Tuesday 5/24 - Great Band, Not So Great Crowd + Opening Night in Boston - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 AM   #16
Babyface

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Celilbrated my b-day w/ my wife in the Fleet/Garden night number 1 in Boston- Bono and the band were absolutely electric!!! Did a "man on the street" interview w/ MTV and
expressed the following: U2's US history began in Boston- and it's more than "a sort of homecoming" everytime they return for the lifeblood Beantown fans. U2 and their music evokes the passion & spirit of these patriots! "Vertigo" and all the new music
holds the same strength as the earlier stuff and adds to the legacy that is U2! That's a wrap.
BPilgrim

Old 05-25-2005, 05:43 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
I got Ga's at the last minute and I ended up by the soundboard.
Gee I wonder where those came from??????

Old 05-25-2005, 05:51 AM   #18
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 08:55 AM
I really missed BAD....

Looked like B's back was still sore, wasn't moving much, not out on the ramp a lot.

The Vertigo count in Gaelic was cute

I was way up in the mid-"zone" balcony in the back and people seemed into it... but a lot of rich yuppie types were just sitting around looking... dare I say... bored? wtf?? and not paying a lot of attention yeah... you have to remember Boston was one of the shows where the presale got completely horked by Ticketbastard... so not necessarily "fans" got the best tix.

I mean holy shit it was my first U2 show and just.. wow... I didn't manage to peel the idiot-grin off my face for the first 5 songs, yanno?!

The adolescent dork I was when I first became a fan waaaaaayyyyyy back in ancient history (aka 1984) took over for awhile and was just standing there saucer-eyed in awe and amazement...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:12 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by youtwohearts
The crowd just wasn't into it and it in turn reflected on how I felt about the concert. When I saw them a couple of days later at MSG, my opinion completely changed. The crowd makes all the difference.
I think I agree with you.

For the people who say "i don't care how other people react or like the show, I just care about myself", that's awesome that you feel like that.

But I can't. Philly I the crowd seemed dead to me, and that made it a the worst of the four shows I attended. The band's performance was solid as ever.

Of course, the other three shows I've been to were 5/9 and 5/0 Chicago (the DVD nights) and 5/21 at NYC. So those nights were electric.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I figured it was when he was talking about the Irish, but that was Bono speaking Gaelic? I used to know a little bit of Gaelic..but not numbers.

Does he count correctly in Gaelic?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Imarocker

Gee I wonder where those came from??????
Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Did anyone see Bono almost trip and fall at one of the songs? I forgot which song it was.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:45 AM   #23
Acrobat

Yeah, saw that. Even better was seeing Larry get halfway out the ellipse, forget something, walk back to the stage, and then have to RUN out the ellipse to make it there in time. I was laughing up in the balcony....but only because he got there in time!

-Mike
Old 05-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #24
The Fly

I was in the balcony as well and thought the sound wasn't that good for the first 1/3 of the show. As for the crowd, people in my section were on their feet and singing, but not a lot of dancing and cheering. I'm 6 months pregnant and was dancing up a storm. LAPOE absolutely rocked my world, that and The Fly were unbelievable. Streets had great energy as well (although it always has everytime I've seen them do it live).

Larry BARELY made it to the end of the ellipse in time...he was hauling!

Did anyone catch exactly what Bono said, I think it was during The Ocean, when he said something like "Feels like home with the melancholy rain, the Massachusetts rain"?

Also, loved when he said "It's good to be home"!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenn121
I was in the balcony as well and thought the sound wasn't that good for the first 1/3 of the show. As for the crowd, people in my section were on their feet and singing, but not a lot of dancing and cheering. I'm 6 months pregnant and was dancing up a storm. LAPOE absolutely rocked my world, that and The Fly were unbelievable. Streets had great energy as well (although it always has everytime I've seen them do it live).

Larry BARELY made it to the end of the ellipse in time...he was hauling!

Did anyone catch exactly what Bono said, I think it was during The Ocean, when he said something like "Feels like home with the melancholy rain, the Massachusetts rain"?

Also, loved when he said "It's good to be home"!
Hey how's it going?
Glad you had fun
I liked LAPOE on the album - but when I saw it live I liked it A LOT more. I had to laugh at Bono banging away on the drum but it was
Old 05-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #26
Babyface

Opening Night In Boston

First show for me of this tour.

Had fan club 9 rows behind the sound board dead center.

I too thought the sound was too loud early on to the point of losing quality though Elevation being one of the early songs I thought that did sound very good.

I thought the crowd expended a lot of energy early in the opening couple of songs and then lost something when some of the older songs came on that they never really got back until Sunday Bloody Sunday but to see people standing, clapping and singing the whole night was pretty fantastic.

The weather was absolutely horrible, What a miserable night, though seeing
U2 made it worthwhile!

I enjoyed Streets, though was disappointed that Bono was not running around the elipse at the opening of the song as it revved up like he did in Providence for Elevation tour when they played it, that was really something to see.

I can't beleive their charging $90 for t-shirts from old concerts they dug out of storage....somethings do bother me about the marketing side of U2.

I thought the stringy lights were really well done. Amazing what they can program those things to do. Same thing with the ellipse runway, cool stuff.

Anyway, a very great show but I was expecting more in terms of sound qualiity given our excellent seat location and also thought Bono sounded a bit off vocally but he sure is a master performer moving about the stage and ellipse with an incredible presence.

Edge was absolutley fantastic as were Larry and Adam, these guys are on their games!

Going back on Saturday, have GA tickets we were lucky enough to get through ticketmaster. Will be the first time on the floor for us...so hoping to get into the ellipse but I know that's not too likely. Anyone know the approx odds of making it into the ellipse? I'm not sure how many people are on the floor in total, heard it was 300 in the ellipse itself last night.

Sorry for being so wordy, had a really good time, hoping for even a better experience on Sat!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 AM   #27
The Fly

Spoiled by Elevation

Good show but I was not moved as I was during Elevation Tour. It was like the band had a job to do that night, did it well, and then left.

1) setlist was routine; nothing special was added. Joshua Tree
(a U2 tribute band) playing across the street before the show
went into A Sort of Homecoming and this peaked the energy
level of the crowd higher than U2 playing Vertigo.
2) no interaction w/ the cowd and Bono between songs. "Good
to be Home" was it.
3) no running (expcet Larry) on the elipse. The goose step
and outfit for Zoo Station was cool but not even a jog during
Streets?

This is not meant to be a negative thread; just an opinion and probably an unfair comparison to Elevation in Providence right after 9/11. This was a solid show and I am appreciative for the experience but my expectations were high for something extra special. The Spirit was missing Tuesday night. Hoping for something a little extra Saturday
Old 05-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #28
The Fly

I was at the show Tuesday and I thought it was fantastic! The sound was loudest I've ever heard and my ears are still ringing and it's Thursday morning. I hope they get the sound worked out before I go back Saturday night.

I thought the crowd was great and very into it. We were in loge 20 and I loved our seats. Larry would wave and smile a lot going back and forth to his drums, he seemed to really be having fun. He dropped his sound pack and had to go back to pick it up and put it on and that's why he had to run to the front of the ellipse to meet Bono. I thought it was great and I can't wait to go back!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Spoiled by Elevation

Quote:
Originally posted by rica
Good show but I was not moved as I was during Elevation Tour. It was like the band had a job to do that night, did it well, and then left.

1) setlist was routine; nothing special was added. Joshua Tree
(a U2 tribute band) playing across the street before the show
went into A Sort of Homecoming and this peaked the energy
level of the crowd higher than U2 playing Vertigo.
2) no interaction w/ the cowd and Bono between songs. "Good
to be Home" was it.
3) no running (expcet Larry) on the elipse. The goose step
and outfit for Zoo Station was cool but not even a jog during
Streets?

This is not meant to be a negative thread; just an opinion and probably an unfair comparison to Elevation in Providence right after 9/11. This was a solid show and I am appreciative for the experience but my expectations were high for something extra special. The Spirit was missing Tuesday night. Hoping for something a little extra Saturday
see and now this is where things start to piss me off, sorry but to say a tribute band got more energy then U2? anyway i'll move on, why is everyone so upset that bono dosent "run" is it such a big deal? do you really have to go and see him run to have a good time? its about the music, not if bono has a quick sprint around the place
Old 05-26-2005, 05:48 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

you need to chill out...