April 6, Staples Center in Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah, Adam looked like he was having a great time, he walked around the ellipse twice, for "New Year's Day" and "Streets." Definitely moving around more, walking up the ramps, having a good time.

Anyone else notice the vibrations from the notes he played during "Love and Peace," right before Edge's solo? You could feel them before, but for that song, it was the loudest.

I think I saw Larry smiling a few times.

What was the girl doing, I was in rear view, but it was crazy. It was like, run Bono run!

So looking forward to November!

Zooropa man said:
That really bums me out. I had perfect seating and a clear view from were I could have taken some nice pictures. It's problably because there were some celebreties that night(4/5).... This blows. Thanks for sharing your pic's Mthom....

I was at the show and feared for my camera - so I didn't bring it with me... I could have gotten some great shots - even though I was further away... Had I known...

Oh well, I can look at everyone elses! Thanks for posting them guys!

thrillme said:
Oh yeah, Adam looked like he was having a great time, he walked around the ellipse twice, for "New Year's Day" and "Streets." Definitely moving around more, walking up the ramps, having a good time.

Anyone else notice the vibrations from the notes he played during "Love and Peace," right before Edge's solo? You could feel them before, but for that song, it was the loudest.

I think I saw Larry smiling a few times.

What was the girl doing, I was in rear view, but it was crazy. It was like, run Bono run!

So looking forward to November!

I TOTALLY noticed the notes before the solo!!!

I did see Larry smiling (and I think he smiled afte that crazy girl left the stage!)

Wish I had more tickets... :( Oh well, I finally got to see them!

Staples arena is a huge cavern compared to most arenas I've been to and even when a full house crowd is really into a show or game there, the acoustics of the place can really dampen the sound up in the rafters.

Without a doubt though, the crowd was much more vocal than the Pond show (which is a pretty big arena itself) in Anaheim was on Saturday.

T.B. [/B]

I've been to the first 6 shows, and I'd say either of the staples crowds were really into it. Thats not to say that the LA fans wern't, What could I tell from 40,000 feet anyway :)

u2setlists.com says they played a snippet of Under the Bridge after Beautiful Day... what was that like? how long?

Partyslammer said:

I'm married.

To add the postscript to last night, *if* I somehow fell into temptation and got some bangatude with the girl I got into the Ellipse or ever better, had a multi-sister trifecta, she pointed out to me that they had seats for the pair of shows when they return to play Staples arena in November and their seats are about 5 rows directly behind the pair of seats I have for both nights at the same shows that I'm taking my wife to. Picture this:

Girl: "Hey hi! remember me, I was the girl you got into the pit for the April U2 show and than banged me and my sister in our car after the show! Oh, who's this?........."

Mrs TB: "Oh hi, I'm this shlub's mother of his son, wife for 10 years, basically the only person that'll put up with that spikey-haired boob's nonsense day in and day out. Oh, and I'm also the psychbitch that's gonna cut off his balls and put them in a pickle jar after this lovely concert."

TB: "Eee-heheheheh, enjoy the show and my dick n' balls say it was nice seeing you again."

Girls leave, Mrs TB looks at me and says: "Pussy. Money. House."

TB: "D'uhhh, what are you talking about?"

Mrs TB: "Three things you can say goodbye to."

TB: "D'oh!"

T.B.

I didn't know my wife had a secret sister in Los Angeles...LOL

Best post in a while

Partyslammer said:

I'm married.

To add the postscript to last night, *if* I somehow fell into temptation and got some bangatude with the girl I got into the Ellipse or ever better, had a multi-sister trifecta, she pointed out to me that they had seats for the pair of shows when they return to play Staples arena in November and their seats are about 5 rows directly behind the pair of seats I have for both nights at the same shows that I'm taking my wife to. Picture this:

Girl: "Hey hi! remember me, I was the girl you got into the pit for the April U2 show and than banged me and my sister in our car after the show! Oh, who's this?........."

Mrs TB: "Oh hi, I'm this shlub's mother of his son, wife for 10 years, basically the only person that'll put up with that spikey-haired boob's nonsense day in and day out. Oh, and I'm also the psychbitch that's gonna cut off his balls and put them in a pickle jar after this lovely concert."

TB: "Eee-heheheheh, enjoy the show and my dick n' balls say it was nice seeing you again."

T.B.

:lmao:
*wiping tears on sleeve* jesus that was funny.

Just wanted to throw into the mix this. I spent 10 hours in line waiting for GAs to pop out - which they finally did thankyouvermuch - despite battling the cretons that are scalpers and those they hire to line cut. Anyway, during this long day an episode of The Entourage was being filmed out front - amusing to watch but later on I was not happy to see that the cast and crew ended up inside the ellipse and taking up valuable space from fans who should have been allowed inside. With the fire marshall watching closely this tour there is a premium on space inside the ellipse. That the cast & crew from this two bit series be let in while so many of us wait countless hours to get inside is an absolute sham and the band should be embarrassed.

Great, great show. Couldn't even try for the ellipse because I got there so late and because they weren't even scanning for it!! Anyway they sounded much tighter and they even looked like they were having fun. I:love: Adam so it was great to see him smile and do his thing up there! Overall I enjoyed this show from the last previous staples and pond shows.

Does anyone who went to the Staples 4/6 concert know what Bono was saying when he was pointing to the symbols on his headband? I was so gratefull to go to the concert and I loved it. I wish Bono would take his shades off more, especially for the encore.

Ok here is my take (rant) have been to 3 shows (SD1, Ana2, Staples2) from three different vantage points and had three different expierences. SD1 I was on the side about half way up and the energy was amazing all around us everyone really into it from the moment the lights went out. Though I feel the show itself was a little rough at times still working out the kinks the energy of it being opening night after night seeimg them for a few years made it electric I think for me and everyone around us. There was no sitting at all and I entered the U2 Trance and lost myself in the music. Ana 2 I was in the corner facing the stage upper level second row the energy was not the same. The whole first row was not standing at all in fact they sat the whole time!!! I could not believe them I was like come on how can you sit ok maybe for a break during running to stand still but how can you just sit there. They really zapped some of the energy for me. The couple sitting on the side next to my wife was just the same sitting and just sorta of watching a movie no emotion. She said how they zapped some of her energy. Luckily for me the cute girl next to me (No honey I still love you remember ok to look not touch) was going crazy and people behind me also so I feed off there energy and had a good time. Also the sounds was pretty bad up there that night not sure if it was the mix or just the stadium acoustics that also zappd some of the energy. But still had fun and was a good show. I enjoyed seeing the "Lights" head on and getting that prespective. Staples 2 I was in a Luxury Box level B closest to the stage with a bunch of friends. At first did not want to go in the Box since I feel they are so isolating from the energy of the crowed and would be like watching a movie. But have to admiti was pretty amazing mainly cause almost everyone in the box was a u2 fanatic like me & my wife and we weree going crazy in the box. We stood in the front of it and soaked up all the energy and went wild I totally got lost in the music. The place was really into it and the band seem like there were in a comfortable place and having fun and taking us along for the ride (my wife swears Bono was waving to her from the stage ). A few times when I would break out of my trance I looked around to box next store and these poeple were just sitting there watching once again I was like come on you are kidding me we are not that old yet. what a waste of a box. I had an amazing time because of the energy the band and my friends around me and sounds mix was a lot better. So in closing I think were you sit can have a huge effect on your expierence. These arenas were never made for concerts so hard to be pulled in way up high or far back. That being said if you are lucky enough to go to multiple shows I would try differnt views becasue the show really does have a different effect depending were you sit.
I have GA and lowers on the side for the Nov 1 & 2 shows will report back then.

No matter what night were you sit still the best show will ever see

I've been to three shows, Anaheim 1 and 2 and Staples 2. At Anaheim 1 the crowd just didn't seem all that excited, from where I sat anyway up in the nosebleed section. The people around me were standing and seemed into it but the whole crowd overall just didn't have much energy and I think the band felt it too, plus there were some technical glitches. I think Bono was trying to get the crowd going but it wasn't happening. Maybe that was why the long 2nd set and no encore. On the other hand, I thought Anaheim 2 the crowd just went crazy and the band and especially Bono were having a great time. I saw him smiling alot more and he just seemed to be more relaxed and having fun. Sound wise, I had a hard time hearing Bono on a few songs both nights in Anaheim. But at Staples on Wednesday, I could hear him just fine and he sounded great! The crowd up in my nosebleed seat sat down alot but got into it when the more popular songs were played. Everyone howled when the fan with the humongous boobs jumped up on the ramp and tried to seduce Bono away from the other fan he brought up before her. Again the boys seemed to be having a good time.

It's interesting to read everyone's reviews because everyone's opinions are different depending on where they sat and who was around them. For me, I am thankful that I have been able to see them for 3 shows so far this tour and I will finally be on the floor for the first show in Arizona next week.....that should be a blast! First time I get to see the band up close and trust me, I'm either getting in that bomb shelter or I WILL be on the rail just outside it. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Partyslammer said:

I'm married.

T.B.
PartySlammer-
You are a righteous poster.:wink:

db9

trish0860 said:
I've been to three shows, Anaheim 1 and 2 and Staples 2. At Anaheim 1 the crowd just didn't seem all that excited, from where I sat anyway up in the nosebleed section. The people around me were standing and seemed into it but the whole crowd overall just didn't have much energy and I think the band felt it too, plus there were some technical glitches. I think Bono was trying to get the crowd going but it wasn't happening. Maybe that was why the long 2nd set and no encore. On the other hand, I thought Anaheim 2 the crowd just went crazy and the band and especially Bono were having a great time. I saw him smiling alot more and he just seemed to be more relaxed and having fun. Sound wise, I had a hard time hearing Bono on a few songs both nights in Anaheim. But at Staples on Wednesday, I could hear him just fine and he sounded great! The crowd up in my nosebleed seat sat down alot but got into it when the more popular songs were played. Everyone howled when the fan with the humongous boobs jumped up on the ramp and tried to seduce Bono away from the other fan he brought up before her. Again the boys seemed to be having a good time.

It's interesting to read everyone's reviews because everyone's opinions are different depending on where they sat and who was around them. For me, I am thankful that I have been able to see them for 3 shows so far this tour and I will finally be on the floor for the first show in Arizona next week.....that should be a blast! First time I get to see the band up close and trust me, I'm either getting in that bomb shelter or I WILL be on the rail just outside it. I CAN'T WAIT!!

I was at 3 shows as well: Anaheim2 (Floor), and LA1 (208) and LA 2 (floor). I thought all 3 shows were FANtastic. I was afraid that the fans would in Section 208, being so far back, would be sitting and ruin the energy for me. Luckily, they stood most of the night, some dancing and shouting along with me. A couple from Montreal were next to me, and they loved it as well. Show 2 from the seat was interesting in that you can see the visual part of the show/stage affects, etc. You miss some of that on the floor, especially if you are short like me (5'4"). But the best for me is on the floor - I was about 4-5 deep off the rail, and enjoyed the energy of the fans - we were all going crazy. Towards the end of WTSHNN, the girl in front of me (Denise I think) who was second on the rail, pulled me up in front of her for a moment so I could be just a little closer with a better view. We were all singing together and just sharing our love of U2.

"All I want is u" 2

denise? she gave me her email address to email her sum pics, she was right behind me...i was outside the circle and up at the rail. I took sum great pictures of bono, edge, larry, adam. AWESOMMEEEEEEEEEE SHOW. btw im on yahoo... go to yahoo, then to news and type in U2 and ull see a pic at the la2 show. thats me in the front wit a camera in one hand and my hand reaching for bono. all i can say is ammmmmmazzzzzzing

http//story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050407/ids_photos_en/r859694671.jpg

*put in the colon after "http"

U2Station has got an article up about the April 6th show, on their frontpage. Can't link it as I don't have "linking" yet. Haven't posted enough.

Kinda odd energy for the night for me...

Band was in great energy as usual. But audience seemed off including quite of few of my section sitting down even on the higher energy songs. I've never seen folks sitting at a U2 show.

Then a lady during "Zoo Station" who is like 4-5 seats over taps me mid-back and motions I should sit. This even though the person in front of me is standing as is the woman behind me is. I said no, unless I motion she needs to tell ALL THE OTHERS around me to sit down soon, not just me and I stay standing. Then the very next song was higher energy "The Fly" and I look back and she's standing up. I momentarily glare back at her and chuckled for her big one song sitting session!

Then oddest thing for "40". As soon as the band exited, the audience typically keeps singing the chorusn till the house lights come on.

I think it was me and like one other person kept singing and one else. It was eerily quiet in the monolith of a venue. Eventually the house lights came up and mass exited began.

Felt rather odd...

The house lights came on within literally 30 seconds of Larry leaving the stage. They came on INCREDIBLY fast.

And I noticed that at the 4/6 show, far, far, far less people knew the words to 40 than at other shows. On other boots you can hear them singing the words to 40 for minutes after the band has left. Here in L.A., nobody was singing! I was the only person in my whole section singing along, and as soon as Larry left, I just gave up and got up and left myself... and just as I hit the aisle to start walking out, the house lights came on.

U2atUSC said:
The house lights came on within literally 30 seconds of Larry leaving the stage. They came on INCREDIBLY fast.

And I noticed that at the 4/6 show, far, far, far less people knew the words to 40 than at other shows. On other boots you can hear them singing the words to 40 for minutes after the band has left. Here in L.A., nobody was singing! I was the only person in my whole section singing along, and as soon as Larry left, I just gave up and got up and left myself... and just as I hit the aisle to start walking out, the house lights came on.

The house lights DID come on fast!

I did notice people weren't as keen to sing - but I don't think that means they weren't having a great time. Everyone in my section stood the entire time (and we were directly across from the stage in section 106), and were dancing and having a great time (I had some great fans around me).

I was surprised by how quickly the house lights came on - but I did hear some people still singing as I got my stuff and readied myself to leave...

I don't know about the whole "don't know the words" thing -- there were a ton of people singing in my section (all throughout the night).. Perhaps for '40', it just seemed odd to continue to sing after Larry finished playing and left...

Yes, it was my first show, and I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't think it has anything to do with fan enthusiasm -- I felt a ton of energy in the crowd.

galactic2154 said:
denise? she gave me her email address to email her sum pics, she was right behind me...i was outside the circle and up at the rail. I took sum great pictures of bono, edge, larry, adam. AWESOMMEEEEEEEEEE SHOW. btw im on yahoo... go to yahoo, then to news and type in U2 and ull see a pic at the la2 show. thats me in the front wit a camera in one hand and my hand reaching for bono. all i can say is ammmmmmazzzzzzing

http//story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050407/ids_photos_en/r859694671.jpg

It's hard to tell who is who and what's what in the photo. Were you in the green U2 tour shirt with the blonde hair on the rail? Next to the girl on the rail who seemed to not be feeling well the whole show? I was behind Denise (she had on a cap, very outgoing,...) and her husband. I was in the white 'Boy' shirt, and she even let me stand in front of her for about a minute of WTSHNN.

Lila64 said:

It's hard to tell who is who and what's what in the photo. Were you in the green U2 tour shirt with the blonde hair on the rail? Next to the girl on the rail who seemed to not be feeling well the whole show? I was behind Denise (she had on a cap, very outgoing,...) and her husband. I was in the white 'Boy' shirt, and she even let me stand in front of her for about a minute of WTSHNN.

look to the right of the person with the headphones on. I have the camera in my right hand and my left hand is reaching out for bono.

i love the part after beautiful day when bono adds "the city i live in, the city of angels" hahahaha....i love that....and the he goes "that one was for you the edge"......gotta love em

btw guys.....i got some awesome pics of all the members as they came around the ellipse....email me at galactic2154@hotmail.com and i will send them to you. great pics, guaranteed you will love them, especially the one where he puts on the dodger hat and jacket...that was a good one

I saw the Dodger photo online (I've seen a couple). You said you had other photos. My email is: madeleinesmom @ yahoo com

dalfan said:

Then oddest thing for "40". As soon as the band exited, the audience typically keeps singing the chorusn till the house lights come on.

I think it was me and like one other person kept singing and one else. It was eerily quiet in the monolith of a venue. Eventually the house lights came up and mass exited began.

Felt rather odd...

Maybe it was the traffic in downtown LA? everyone wanted to get the heck out of there? It's like the people that leave Dodger games in the 7th inning.. :huh:

that's just L.A. for you. Everyone is in a hurry. I hate that!

Speaking of Dodgers, it took us about 40 minutes to get out of the frickin' parking lot Friday night after the 9th inning (and they won, too!)

Back
Top Bottom