April 5, Staples Center in Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow - I Just got home - No I'm kidding - Heres the setlist:

Love and Peace
Vertigo
Elevation
Cry / Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
City of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
New Year’s Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running to Standstill
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Pride in the name of love
Where the Streets Have No Name
All Because of You
Yahweh
‘40’

U2.Com

they just showed them doing Vertigo from the Staples Center on the 11 pm news, what a great crowd you all were jumping up and down, and damn I wish I could of been there. Please tell us all about it, every detail.

Also, did they let you bring cameras in? It looked like it on the tv news, and I saw signs, flags, etc. So Staples must have let you all have our usual U2 show paraphenalia?

How was the parking? Any hints for tomorrow for us? Did anybody meet them before or after?

Last edited:
Everything I know IS NOT WRONG, THANK GOD! After opening night in San Diego, all I kept hearing in my head is Everything You Know is Wrong....I was just thrown for a complete loop-Tonight I was able to score some very sweet tickets, something to be said for not being exhausted, unable to see on the floor-Had great seats-WOW! The set is gorgeous-I was able to appreciate the lights, the curtain, the fighter plane on the curtain during Bullet was awesome-And onto the band! SOOOOOOOOOOOO improved over opening night, this was our band tonight guys! They were in synch., they were animated-Bono talked a great deal more than opening night-During One, wow-Bono told the crew to turn off the lights and told the audience to get their cell phones out and light up the arena, and all 18,000 of us did! Such a stunning sight-The Africa lingo didn't seem forced tonight, it flowed beautifully. Bono's voice was consistent and very strong. My eyes almost bugged out of my head when Adam,yes Adam, not only ventured, but walked to the tip of the ellipse. Bono pulled a very young boy onto the catwalk with him, and Bono asked him his name, and it was Jack, and the spotlight was on the two of them, and Bono said, well Jack this was your bean stalk, and then they ripped into City of Blinding Lights. All in all, one fabulous night. I will be able to sleep peacefully since opening night. All is right in the world. Good Night!:happy: :edge: :rockon: :applaud:

I just got back home and I had to repor this.This was an amazing show and Bono's voice was great.The set list was one of the best I have heard in a long time.They started the show with songs from Atomic Bomb and All that you can leave behind and included zoo station and mysterious ways.Let me tell you mysterious ways sounded so good it was unbelievable.NOrmally,I do not like Mysterious ways a whole lot but this was great. Similarly the acoustic version of Yahweh with Larry on keyboards is something to die for.It reminds you a lot of classic regae songs with the lyrics all slowed out. 40 was at its element and Adams'bass never sounded better.Bono sangs Streets like he did on the Zoo Tv lIVe from Sydney video and it sounded the best in all the live performances I have seen so far. Tonight Bono sang Running to stand still a lot like the Rattle and Hum video except he played the harmonica in the beginning of the song and Edge was exceptional through out every song .All in all this was the best show I have been to during this tour and I cant wait to hear from you people about tomorrow night.IF i get tickets ,I will be there tomorrow too. Any of u have an extra ticket? They did also play One and I think that was an oversight.They did not play with or without you.During ONe,Bono urged us all as we should to take action for African Poverty by texting your name to a number. You would later on get a message from Bono thanking for signing up

Last edited:
How's 40 sounding? I can't wait to experience it again. (It's been a long time since 1987!)

ANY NOSE BLEEDERS?

If anybody had a nose bleed seat, I'd like to hear how the show sounded from
way up high. I know that Staple Center is a huge place.

thanks

Holy crap, I just had one of the greatest experiences of my life. I can't going into it right now but it has something to do with being about ten feet from the Edge for two hours. Holy crap.

Lisa71 said:
How's 40 sounding? I can't wait to experience it again. (It's been a long time since 1987!)

The bass line sounded so awesome.This was a song where they really let the rhythm section of U2 adam and LARRY dominate this song,Bono's voice was probably at its best during this show and he sang this song so nicely. The bass was something to die for.

i went to Anaheim2 and Staples 1 and i think last night was better ... and i sat rear view (216) and those seats are awesome ... they're so close and you CAN see everything ... one of the downsides last night was the rear video screen went out ...

i've never been a big fan of "Where The Streets" but last night that song rocked ... that and "All Because of You" have been the highlights for me at the 2 shows i went to

also Bono pulled another child out of the crowd in the lead up to City Of Blinding Lights ... but when Bono did the part where they catch the confetti, the confetti didnt drop right away so they stood there and waited ... but after that small delay, there wasn't enough time for Bono to walk the little boy back to his dad ... so Bono took "Jack" (the little boy) over near Larry and had him sit on the stage during the song ... Bono kept checking over his shoulder during the song to make sure the little boy was ok ...

very cool of Bono ...

"welcome to the beanstalk jack"
-Bono

Last edited:
HelloHelloHola said:
i went to Anaheim2 and Staples 1 and i think last night was better ... and i sat rear view (216) and those seats are awesome ... they're so close and you CAN see everything ... one of the downsides last night was the rear video screen went out ...

Thanks for including your section in your review! We're going tonight (section 218) and I'm happy to hear you had such a great view! :hyper: :D

Re: ANY NOSE BLEEDERS?

FastFreddie112 said:
If anybody had a nose bleed seat, I'd like to hear how the show sounded from
way up high. I know that Staple Center is a huge place.

thanks

I went last night and sat in the upper section, behind the stage (actually corner back), the view was OK. It was a bit obstructed when the beaded screen would drop, also you can't really see much of the band when they walk out to the edge of the cat walk because of the speakers, but I'd rather be there then at the other end of the arena, still close up and the band turns around quite a bit. As far as the show goes, I thought the crowd was a little laid back last night, I went Sat. night in Anaheim and the place was rocking, probably because it was Saturday and everyone was drunk, but the set was exactly the same (which was a bummer) but I enjoyed the show more on Saturday. I had lowers (actually 1st row up from the floor) on Sat. night and I did not notice the stage lighting, it lights up pretty cool, that's an advantage the upper seats have.

This is my fourth show of the tour and I agree -- it was their best performance to date. Bono's voice was great. I think the 2+ days off probably helped. Great guitar by Edge, as usual. Looking forward to tonight's show.

Staples Center 1st Night

This show was a much better improved show in every way. They nailed the songs. The glitches that I heard on Anaheim's first show were defenitely worked out. They were all defenitely more animated then friday night. Highlight would problably have to be COBL. It was awsome. The acoustics at staples is much better then Anaheim. Im not sure if they were filming this show because were I was sitting(PL12) they had a camera guy. Not sure if that is only for the screens but who knows. Overall I give it a 10. Defenitely worth my $180.00 ticket. The set list was really good. I think I'm starting to like this version of Elevation. It's a great intro. I like the whole build up. Loved hearing the Boy album songs. Electric Co. was defenitely nailed by them. Loved it. Wish I can go tomorrow. Anyone need a date?......

Re: Re: ANY NOSE BLEEDERS?

techfire said:

I went last night and sat in the upper section, behind the stage (actually corner back), the view was OK. It was a bit obstructed when the beaded screen would drop, also you can't really see much of the band when they walk out to the edge of the cat walk because of the speakers, but I'd rather be there then at the other end of the arena, still close up and the band turns around quite a bit. As far as the show goes, I thought the crowd was a little laid back last night, I went Sat. night in Anaheim and the place was rocking, probably because it was Saturday and everyone was drunk, but the set was exactly the same (which was a bummer) but I enjoyed the show more on Saturday. I had lowers (actually 1st row up from the floor) on Sat. night and I did not notice the stage lighting, it lights up pretty cool, that's an advantage the upper seats have.

I sat across the arena in 208 (LA 1), and also attended Anaheim2 (floor). From the floor, you can't actually see "the show", meaning the lighting, the ellipse, the effects. It was cool from that perspective. From t.he floor, it seemed like Saturday's crowd was better. Back on the floor for LA 2 tonite. Don't know how early I should get there. Never had the chance to get to the arenas before they let people in... we'll see what happens tonite...

Damn, I wonder if I went to the wrong show? 4/5 was average, but 4/2 was unbelievably good. I guess people look for different things in a concert. Bono's voice was croaky and he wasn't even trying to hit the high notes. The band seemed rather static. I think the crowd was louder at Staples than Anaheim so maybe that helped.

theyoonaboramer said:
Damn, I wonder if I went to the wrong show? 4/5 was average, but 4/2 was unbelievably good. I guess people look for different things in a concert. Bono's voice was croaky and he wasn't even trying to hit the high notes. The band seemed rather static. I think the crowd was louder at Staples than Anaheim so maybe that helped.
lol so weaird, people say its the best bono has sounded not only this tour, but for quite some time, and then you get someone who ALWAYS guranteed comes on and says "i thought he sounded croaky" and they have always only posted about 10 times, probabley to have a moan

lol so weeahirhd, peepel post hear thn peepal who have 633 posts complane about people that complain about a bad show, prebabely to have a mohn. Highest building, fastest car, supersize burgers and biggest Atomic Bomb...but biggest post count?

Let me emphasize for the illiterate that Anaheim 4/2 was THE BEST U2 I've seen, within the context of Bono sounded shite on LA 4/5.

but how can i belive you when more people are saying he sounded the best he has for years? and the bootleg backs it up?

beLIEve me, he sounded shite mate. Aye, you ran ova mah skoouh!!!

Shows I've seen this tour:

3/28 Bono voice good, lyrics forgotten alot, performance = priceless
4/1 Bono voice average, lyrics forgotten sometimes, band performance = not confident
4/2 Bono voice great, lyrics forgotten sometimes, band performance > priceless
4/5 Bono voice sounded like he just took a bong hit before hitting the stage, lyrics forgotten sometimes, band performance = very good to great

Has the 4/5 bootleg been put up on easytree.org? Maybe I'm crazy.

Before Master War Child jumps on me for this, 4/5 band performance very good to great meaning they played well without f---ing up. But it wasn't full tilt emotion like 4/2 was.

theyoonaboramer said:
Before Master War Child jumps on me for this, 4/5 band performance very good to great meaning they played well without f---ing up. But it wasn't full tilt emotion like 4/2 was.
well again, pretty much EVERYONE who reviewd the showed, mentioned bono's voice sounding better than it has for years, he couldnt reach the woohoo's on elevation last tour, listen to it now, does it with ease, but hey you belive what ya want, you say what ya want,

So I guess they were the Backstreet Boys on Saturday night? I did seem hot in the Sports Arena opening night in San Diego. 98 Degrees they were.

Bono is getting better on the lyrics because they are putting them on the stage floor in front of him.

Last night's show was awesome. My wife and I were on the rail in the Ellipse by Edge. We could see the band's eye contact. They were all smiles. We could tell that they were having a good time!

Yeah, they sure were having a good time. They were more into it. Bono remembered the original lyrics to the fly this time around. LOL

Back
Top Bottom