April 5, Staples Center in Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations on getting in the Ellipse! I was right behind a couple in the GA line that got in...I was in the Heart for every Elevation show I went to and it was an unforgettable experience. I was at the back in front of the mixing console so at least the audio was decent.

That's funny. I didn't know that they were putting lyrics in front of him.

They had lyrics in front of him but I never saw him look at them -- and I was about ten feet away. Also the band freaking rocked!!!

A couple of weeks ago, a friend called me up and spoke about how he was watching the Boston DVD and how great he thought Kite was. I think this is an important point because at this point in the first leg of the Elevation tour, they hadn't played Kite yet. In other words, it is very early on in the tour and I think it shows.

Setlist: When I first saw the setlists on paper, I was really excited, but I think in practice it is a bit clunky, and doesn't flow well.

LAPOE--incredible opener, but I thought the vocals were drowned aout a bit by the band--Joe needs to work on the mix a bit. This will keep getting better and better--a real knockout punch.

Vertigo/SFB snippet - Very strong, although for some reason I am not sure they have found tis song live yet--like it to be even longer and maybe turn in to more of a jam session.

Elevation - When I first saw it on paper, I dreaded it--IMO it is my least favorite song off ATYCLB, and while it was a tremendous opener in '01, I wasn't looking forward to it...but, it works live--and I think the band loves the crowd woo-hooing, so I have a feeling it will stay every night--having said that, I wish they'd take it out.

The Cry/Electric Co. -This is an example of pulling out something from the vault, and having it go over pretty well--although not nearly as good as Out Of Control. This song really rocked, and will, proabbly even get better--I will say The Cry portionw wassn't as smooth as I'd like.

An Cat Dubh/ITH - This is an example of pulling something from the vault, and having it go over like a lead balloon. I was psyched to hear it (and it sounded great) but, honestly the arena went to sleep, and a parade of people flew up the aisles for beer/bathroom breaks-it just doesn't work--the one intangible quality of live material is how the crowd reacts, and this crowd went to sleep.

COBL - Beautiful - here's a song where the staging needs to be worked on so it can be even more dramatic

Beautiful Day - Very Strong

Miracle Drug - Really liked it, but again the vocal mix was quite right - staging on this song could be better (I will end up saying this a lot because I felt they didn't use the ellipse as well as they did the heart in Elevation-the band seemed to be hanging back more than usual--even Bono)

SYCMIYO - Great, could be better, vocal mix could be stronger-incredible touch that this is the first time he loses the shades--he should lose them the rest of the show)

NYD - 9/10

SBS - 9/10

Bullet/Hands - Really good, but the worst rendition I have ever heard dating back to JT-didn't rock, didn't have the intensity it usually does, and feels shortened

Running To Stand Still - Great, but the Hallelujah's were not as powerful as I have heard in the past--can do better on this song.

Zoo Station - Really pumped to hear this song, but I just don't love it in the set--good, not great.

The Fly - Better than the Elevation version, but I kind of feel the same way I feel about Zoo--good, not great.

Mysterious Ways - Not a fan of this song, but it really works live--I enjoyed it, but I put it in the same category as Elevation.

Pride - Solid as usual--I'd love to see them do something different with this song--different arrangement or acoustic

Streets - incredible as always, but not as good as it can get (staging)

One - incredible better than Elevation--more emotional

ABOY- Solid, but not great

Yahweh - What can I say, the biggest surprise of the night-unreal-spiritual-heavenly...10/10...It would be so cool if they reworked this song and did a b-side of this version. I hoipe they play thgis every damn night. Best song of the show.

40 - The way a U2 show should end...always.

I loved the show, but IMO, they have a long way to go with staging and sound mixing on certain songs. The whole show has a half baked feel to it (they do seem a bit underrehearsed)--kind of like Elevation but not as clear conceptually. The songs always get better as the tour grows older, so in a sense I wish it wasn't the 5th show. They really need to use the ellipse better.

Lastly, the setlist does not work (IMO)--everyone will always criticize one song or another--I did with Elevation every night, but the setlist worked. This one doesn't in particular An Cat Dubh/ITH, Zoo, Fly, and Elevation.

I would substitute Gloria, IWF, Out Of Control, or Two Hearts for ACD/ITH. If you are going to do an older song at least make it uptempo oltherwise you lose the crowd. I would sub. Until The End Of The World for Elevation.

Bad should be played every night!

I will be going tonight again so I am pumped.

Last edited:
ultraviolet353 said:
A couple of weeks ago, a friend called me up and spoke about how he was watching the Boston DVD and how great he thought Kite was. I think this is an important point because at this point in the first leg of the Elevation tour, they hadn't played Kite yet. In other words, it is very early on in the tour and I think it shows.

Setlist: When I first saw the setlists on paper, I was really excited, but I think in practice it is a bit clunky, and doesn't flow well.

LAPOE--incredible opener, but I thought the vocals were drowned aout a bit by the band--Joe needs to work on the mix a bit. This will keep getting better and better--a real knockout punch.

Vertigo/SFB snippet - Very strong, although for some reason I am not sure they have found tis song live yet--like it to be even longer and maybe turn in to more of a jam session.

Elevation - When I first saw it on paper, I dreaded it--IMO it is my least favorite song off ATYCLB, and while it was a tremendous opener in '01, I wasn't looking forward to it...but, it works live--and I think the band loves the crowd woo-hooing, so I have a feeling it will stay every night--having said that, I wish they'd take it out.

The Cry/Electric Co. -This is an example of pulling out something from the vault, and having it go over pretty well--although not nearly as good as Out Of Control. This song really rocked, and will, proabbly even get better--I will say The Cry portionw wassn't as smooth as I'd like.

An Cat Dubh/ITH - This is an example of pulling something from the vault, and having it go over like a lead balloon. I was psyched to hear it (and it sounded great) but, honestly the arena went to sleep, and a parade of people flew up the aisles for beer/bathroom breaks-it just doesn't work--the one intangible quality of live material is how the crowd reacts, and this crowd went to sleep.

COBL - Beautiful - here's a song where the staging needs to be worked on so it can be even more dramatic

Beautiful Day - Very Strong

Miracle Drug - Really liked it, but again the vocal mix was quite right - staging on this song could be better (I will end up saying this a lot because I felt they didn't use the ellipse as well as they did the heart in Elevation-the band seemed to be hanging back more than usual--even Bono)

SYCMIYO - Great, could be better, vocal mix could be stronger-incredible touch that this is the first time he loses the shades--he should lose them the rest of the show)

NYD - 9/10

SBS - 9/10

Bullet/Hands - Really good, but the worst rendition I have ever heard dating back to JT-didn't rock, didn't have the intensity it usually does, and feels shortened

Running To Stand Still - Great, but the Hallelujah's were not as powerful as I have heard in the past--can do better on this song.

Zoo Station - Really pumped to hear this song, but I just don't love it in the set--good, not great.

The Fly - Better than the Elevation version, but I kind of feel the same way I feel about Zoo--good, not great.

Mysterious Ways - Not a fan of this song, but it really works live--I enjoyed it, but I put it in the same category as Elevation.

Pride - Solid as usual--I'd love to see them do something different with this song--different arrangement or acoustic

Streets - incredible as always, but not as good as it can get (staging)

One - incredible better than Elevation--more emotional

ABOY- Solid, but not great

Yahweh - What can I say, the biggest surprise of the night-unreal-spiritual-heavenly...10/10...It would be so cool if they reworked this song and did a b-side of this version. I hoipe they play thgis every damn night. Best song of the show.

40 - The way a U2 show should end...always.

I loved the show, but IMO, they have a long way to go with staging and sound mixing on certain songs. The whole show has a half baked feel to it (they do seem a bit underrehearsed)--kind of like Elevation but not as clear conceptually. The songs always get better as the tour grows older, so in a sense I wish it wasn't the 5th show. They really need to use the ellipse better.

Lastly, the setlist does not work (IMO)--everyone will always criticize one song or another--I did with Elevation every night, but the setlist worked. This one doesn't in particular An Cat Dubh/ITH, Zoo, Fly, and Elevation.

I would substitute Gloria, IWF, Out Of Control, or Two Hearts for ACD/ITH. If you are going to do an older song at least make it uptempo oltherwise you lose the crowd. I would sub. Until The End Of The World for Elevation.

Bad should be played every night!

I will be going tonight again so I am pumped.
ok then well lets look at it this way, your saying its clunky and dosent flow, which is fine and your opinion, but you have to relise that the majority of people i have seen have actually said good set list, and flows well, so what do U2 do? there in a catch 22 really, go with the majority who are liking the set, or go with the few that are saying it dosent flow well? (and before you ask how do i know its the majority, you only need to look at the reviews on both this site, and u2tours.com)

so really U2 are never gonna win,

god help them

Ultra,

I disagree on the setlist. I think it flowed really well. 4 big rockers then An Cat Dubh! I've developed a new appreciation for An Cat Dubh. It was always the one song I skipped on Boy. You're right, at the shows I've been to so far the audience completely tunes out during An Cat Dubh. They really need to pull out the full version of SFB in the Boy set...

Love the ZooTV set! It works well coming after the UN Declaration of Human Rights segment. The Fly is awesome no matter which key its played in. I loved the Elevation (key of A) version because you can actually hear Bono over the music, while the key of E versions is Zoo and Vertigo just sound like mumbling. But the lower key sounds wonderfully darker.

Bullet sounds just OK. Remember being blown away by the ZooTV Bullet? It's been a long time since they've done that. I do love the new bluesy clean tone that Edge is using for the solo, but it doesn't seem to work for this version. Bring back the Hendrix colors!!!

But the highlight of this tour has to be Electric Co. I'm surprised people aren't more blown away by this and that there isn't more chatter about this.

Was it just me, or did the crowd at Staples seem confused during 40. It sounded like maybe less than 1/2 were singing "how long to sing...." at the end, as if they were figuring out what some people were singing. It was a Pride and With or without You crowd for sure.

Dude the show was sososos amazing last night. Earlier today, I went to a press conference with Bono. hungerforjustice.net

RONNIE said:

The bass line sounded so awesome.This was a song where they really let the rhythm section of U2 adam and LARRY dominate this song,Bono's voice was probably at its best during this show and he sang this song so nicely. The bass was something to die for.

Actually, The Edge plays bass on this song. He and Adam switch.

I haven't read all the reviews in this thread, but here's mine:

My girlfriend, Fareeda, and I got to the Staples Center at 1 pm and signed up in line. We were spots number 69 and 70 in the regular line (there were people waiting in the U2.com member line). At around 3:30 pm, we heard that band would be arriving for soundcheck near the front of the arena. We headed to that area and waited. At about 4 pm, we almost left, but decided to wait another 10 minutes. Low and behold, at 4:10 pm, Bono arrives in a black Denali. He gets out of the car and starts greeting each and every one of the 50 fans waiting for him. He gets up to us and Fareeda tells him that she’s from Kenya, and there’s a saying in Swahili which means “drop by drop, we can fill up a river.” Bono says that he loves it. He tries repeating it, and then asks her to write it down for him. He spends about 2 minutes asking other fans and his bodyguards for a piece of paper and then spends another minute looking for a pen. I get to shake his hand and he gives me a warm smile. He then goes around to every single person, takes pictures, gives hugs, and is completely great. The Edge shows up about 10 minutes later, and he starts greeting fans, but he won’t stop for pictures. He shakes hands all the way around the line. Bono is then told that he has to leave, so he jogs off because people all want to see him again. However, he sees a man in a wheelchair waiting and he runs back, signs an autograph, and takes a picture with him.

The doors open at 6:30. We walk in and they scan Fareeda’s ticket. They then scan mine – and we’re in the ellipse! They give us a special wristband, and there are about 10 checkpoints to get into the ellipse. We pass through them and we enter the ellipse and we’re standing right at the front of the stage, just a little left from center, with only one row of people standing in front of us.

Kings of Leon come out at 7:30 and they play for about 40 minutes. We’re so close that I can see each member mouthing things to each other like “I’m hungry” and “we’re not playing that.”

At about 8:45, "An Cat Dubh" starts playing. Then a track starts playing with Bono’s voice saying, “everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, EVERYONE, EVERYONE!” I think this signifies something he said later on in the show: “we are all equal, everyone! Everyone! Everyone!” As this voice goes on, the bass at the beginning of “Love and Peace or Else” kicks in and the four band members walk onto the ellipse each holding a tremendously strong flashlight. They walk around the ellipse shining their light at the 20,000-plus fans that are yelling and screaming. Bono and Larry stop at the front of the stage and Larry begins playing a lone drum that’s sitting at the top of the ellipse as Bono works the crowd. The Edge and Adam are back onto the main stage and they’re playing. Then Larry heads to the main stage and Bono starts playing the lone drum like a madman – it’s great. Then they break into “Love and Peace or Else” followed by “Vertigo.” After “Into the Heart,” Bono takes a child from inside the ellipse and walks him around the ellipse. He asks his name as they walk and the kid says, “my name is Jack” – tremendously cute kid. Bono then says, “Jack, this is the beanstalk.” He then tells the child to raise his arms in the air and look up and Bono does the same, and confetti starts coming down from the ceiling. It looked incredible! Then Bono brings the kid to the stage and tells him to sit near the drum set as they break into “City of Blinding Lights.” Bono plays to the crowd as well as to the child to make sure he’s alright! Bono talks about science and how it’s needed before they play “Miracle Drug.” Sometime during the show, Bono wears a white bandanna with different religious symbols on it, and starts pointing it and naming the different religions and religious leaders. They play “Mysterious Ways” and after this song, the band heads off. They come back five minutes later and start with “Pride in the Name of Love.” During the part at the end with everyone chanting the “Oh-oh-oh” part, Bono starts talking about equality and how everyone is equal. He starts a “Hallelujah” chant and then starts saying the names of different countries/continents.. “America, Europe, Africa! Africa! Africa!” as they break into “Where the Streets Have No Name” with different flags shown on the beaded screen. Edge starts the riff for “One.” Bono talks about how he’s looking for 1 million Americans to help stop AIDS and end poverty in Africa. He says he’s not looking for your money, but for your voice. He then tells the crowd to take out their cell phones and hold them up. I turn around and it looks like the entire place is filled with stars. It’s beautiful. Bono says he wants to sing “One” in the dark. They head off the stage with this song. They come back on and start with “All Because of You,” they then play a gorgeous stripped down version of “Yahweh” and close the show with “40.” As they end the song, the crowd is chanting “How Long to Sing this Song.” Bono leaves first, then Adam leaves, then the Edge leaves, and Larry is playing the drums alone on stage and people are still chanting “How Long to Sing this Song.” Larry then leaves and the lights come up.

Section 301

Just thought I would drop a line and represent section 301 (yes, oxygen tanks were optional in the section.)

Sat next to a lot of folks who joined u2.com and didn't get tickets the first day and were offered 301 (like me) as some kind of runner-up price. Kind of funny talking with folks about their experience with that...

I thought the energy of the crowd was good, I'ld say 99% of folks were standing/dancing the whole time (and believe me, I could see EVERYONE!)

Bono voice: solid. Running To Stand Still was absolutely incredible.

Great stage lights. Maybe it was too many $10 draft beers (!!!!) but I was having memory flashbacks of the 1997 Popmart show at the LA Coliseum with those light beeds. Great stuff.

Adam and Larry: Such a solid rhythm section, I love when Adam walks the ring, he's got a great stage presence.

Edge: Went off! No doubt he's one of the most unique players ever.

DVD: I kept thinking this show is going to LOOK amazing on DVD.

Happy Vertigo people!

Back
Top Bottom