April 29, General Motors Place in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After they played Wake me up before you go they played Careless Whisper featuring Adam on the saxaphone.

My highlights....

Hearing a small tiny bit of a Pop song....'Miami my Mammy'

Bono on his hands and knees

Adam and according to Bono the song that belongs to Adam 'New Years Day'

Hearing the story behind 'Miracle Drug'

Larry singing - loved it last night and I loved it again tonight :)

Bono dedicated 'Running To Stand Still' to persons in the military :up:

The Achtung Baby encore :up:

Larry shaking hands with Adam and then with Bono and giving them 'that smile'

Larry grabbing Bono's ass during 'Yahweh'

Bono telling us that they had filmed the entire concert and hoped we didn't mind.

Bono telling us how much they were going to miss Vancouver and that some of them had sore heads and others sore hearts

I miss them already

fah said:
My highlights....

Hearing a small tiny bit of a Pop song....'Miami my Mammy'

Bono on his hands and knees

Adam and according to Bono the song that belongs to Adam 'New Years Day'

Hearing the story behind 'Miracle Drug'

Larry singing - loved it last night and I loved it again tonight :)

Bono dedicated 'Running To Stand Still' to persons in the military :up:

The Achtung Baby encore :up:

Larry shaking hands with Adam and then with Bono and giving them 'that smile'

Larry grabbing Bono's ass during 'Yahweh'

Bono telling us that they had filmed the entire concert and hoped we didn't mind.

Bono telling us how much they were going to miss Vancouver and that some of them had sore heads and others sore hearts

I miss them already

I miss the ass grab by larry

vancouver 2 was nit as good as vancouver 1. tonight felt like play the songs, go on long break until next show...last night band interacted far more with fans/audience. setlist to me last night was also better.

one thing i noticed both nights is when they play older songs crowd goes quiet...but for big hits immeditely after they came back...

I was in the ellipse (thanks to amarks86, who went in after me after my ticket was rejected, there was a delay because his person's ticket scanner was broken, but then after a minute or so he got through, went up to laptop, scanned, the laptop lagged for like 5 seconds, then BAM! VERTIGO VERTIGO VERTIGO!

I was on the railing right in front of Adam

I air-bassed with Adam during both Bullet the Blue Sky and New Years Day, which made him laugh when he saw me do it

then after that, every time he looked at me, he laughed, then I laughed, and he laughed more... it happened like 3 times

Adam rocks... :D

apparently I was having a bit too much fun, according to trevster2k who sat on the other side of the stage across from me... but whatever, it was just me and that band tonight, nothing around existed, it was freakin' amazing

apparently my beautiful face was also on the audience cam the whole time before the show

way more on this unforgettable show tommorow, for now, I am way too tired

Last edited:
korczykp said:
I was in the ellipse (thanks to amarks86, who went in after me after my ticket was rejected, there was a delay because his person's ticket scanner was broken, but then after a minute or so he got through, went up to laptop, scanned, the laptop lagged for like 5 seconds, then BAM! VERTIGO VERTIGO VERTIGO!

I was on the railing right in front of Adam

I air-bassed with Adam during both Bullet the Blue Sky and New Years Day, which made him laugh when he saw me do it

then after that, every time he looked at me, he laughed, then I laughed, and he laughed more... it happened like 3 times

Adam rocks... :D

apparently I was having a bit too much fun, according to trevster2k who sat on the other side of the stage across from me... but whatever, it was just me and that band tonight, nothing around existed, it was freakin' amazing

apparently my beautiful face was also on the audience cam the whole time before the show

way more on this unforgettable show tommorow, for now, I am way too tired

heh, Whenever the girls beside us tried flirting with Adam he would wink at them, then look at me and smile like "good job, how did you manage to get those girls?" lol.

I can post longer later, but here it is....

"The Adventures of the Human Pogo Stick"

7:30 - Arrived at GM Place.

7:40 - BINGO!!! My GA ticket goes "vertigo" on the computer screen. I still can't fuckin' believe it!!!! Wife and I scored!!!

8:20 - The Kings are done and we proceed to down to the ellipse. We found a great spot of the side railing on Adam's side about 25 feet from his spot, and the prime spot to see Bono when he makes his trips out around the ramp (he goes this route most of the night).

-The show starts and I find it incredibly suprising/shocking that I have the sudden ability to launch my self up in the air 3-4 feet off the ground like a rabid pogo stick.

-During the song "Into the Heart," Bono sits down off the ramp right in front of my wife and sucks his thumb. He sings to her and at the end drops a flower right into her hands. My God! Bono sang to my wife!!! Fuckin' incredible!!!

-Many cameras this night as there were the previous night. I see a familiar man running around behind me with a camera man telling him where to stand. My God!!! I know this guy!!! Its Hamish!!! The director of the Boston DVD!!!
I introduce myself when time permits and ask him about the filming. This whole video shoot went from making a live single video for COBL to and entire concert DVD!!!! Oh my God!!!! I am going to be immortalized!!!!

-It was a great show! Electric Co./An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart will for ever be a special moment for me. I felt like I was at a club, not an arena. I'm still in the clouds. Will post more when I get home in a few days.

Roland, are you sure he said the entire concert???

I got some pictures from up on the balcony. They're not spectacular bit i have some ones i really like. When i get home tomorrow i'll .zip them and put them on for some other members to download, because i don't think "non-premium members" can attach files :madspit: :mad:

Is it just me or was the sound really, really crappy at the beginning??? It seemed to be too upper-range throughout the concert and I think my hearing may have been damaged. I'm no stranger to loud music, and when I went to see Radiohead in 2003 I was about five meters from the speakers and I can't remember my ears feeling this plugged.

Awesome show. BRING ON THE DVD!!!

I don't think it was the whole show that was taped

I was right beside the camera that was filming the front of the stage all night, and the setlist on it only had arrows pointed to 4 songs that they filmed... and those were the only ones the camera was rolling on

Hamish was running around the inside of the ellipse area with a camera man well past Streets doing filming. I talked to him inbetween Miracle Drug and Sometimes... . He was busy most of the night.

maybe to find the best shooting angles and stuff..

but if they were actually filming the DVD, they'd have more cameras rolling

-During the song "Into the Heart," Bono sits down off the ramp right in front of my wife and sucks his thumb. He sings to her and at the end drops a flower right into her hands. My God! Bono sang to my wife!!! Fuckin' incredible!!!

Oh my God! Bono took that flower from me! do you still have it? He took it from me in Seattle first and I got it back, so that's my biggest prize U2 possesion. If there's anyway I could get it back from you that would make my dreams come true.

THis was the second U2 show I've ever seen. First was on the ELevation tour, also in Vancouver. I'm not sure which show I enjoyed more, possibly this one, a little. I'm a bit jealous that Van night 1 got Gloria and Bad, especially Gloria, but as far as Gloria, I'm really just delighted that they're playing it on this tour even if I don't get to hear it! Hearing Electric Co was an incredible thrill, I would never have expected it and it was such a rush live. City of BLinding Lights gave me incredible goosebumps....but Streets was even better, so amazing. Tears in the eyes. Running to Stand Still also made me cry. Love and Peace was actually pretty heavy and chilling at the same time. Bono hammering on the drums (was it that song?) was...interesting. Couple of other highlights...Elevation was a ton of fun, ditto Vertigo, I sang till I was out of breath on Pride, chills on New Year's Day. Miracle Drug was lovely, with the explanation of the story, and Edge's bit in the middle...my favourite part of the song, actually. Yahweh was a beautiful contemplative (except for that girl, was she trying to feel him up or what?!) lead-in to 40....and it was a dream come true to be at a U2 concert where they ended with 40. People were singing it in the halls after! Larry was just so cool at the end, the big pause and then wham on the drums again :) I was about as far from the stage as you could get, at the top at the opposite end of the arena, but I don't subscribe to the "might as well not be there if you don't have GA" approach. Tickets are like gold for this tour and I'm just happy I was there. Nothing like a U2 show, you scream, you cry a bit, wave your arms in the air, cold shivers. The sound could have been better, on some songs it was great but on others there was way too much distortion.

I used to live in this part of the world, now I live in Dublin (for now, not much longer)....if I luck out I might see them in Dub in June, but not counting on it! This was a perfect end to my visit home...but it's a bit strange to see one of my favourite bands in Vancouver, having grown up in Victoria, before going back to Dublin, where the band comes from!

again, taken from my huge post in the fan gathering forum..

long read... but it just HAD to be written :)

Day 3

Arrived at the GA lineup at about 9:30am or so, and was 101st in line. This time around, the lineup was so much smoother. GM Place staff split the lines a LOT earlier, and the numbering system worked a lot better. We were also nicely spread out, and there was a lot of room for everyone. Again, read the paper, and I got some Quiznos and bubble tea for lunch, boy did that taste good!

At about 5pm, there was buzz that someone from the band might show up near the GA line near the entrance to the GM place garage. security set up a perimiter and everything, but unfortunatley, nobody showed.

Soon enough, came the moment where we were going in through the doors. I went through... again, with my "come on baby" chants... but nothing, blue screen of death. I went with amarks86, who was right behind me, but something screwed up with the scanner, so I had to patiently wait a minute or so for them to fix it, when he finally got through, he went up to the laptop, scanned, it lagged... for the LONGEST 5 SECONDS EVER! ... but then..

VERTIGO! VERTIGO VERTIGO!

Ellipse baby!!!!!!!!!!

That was just, wow, so excited, quickly rushed down to the ellipse entrance, like 3 staffers told us to calm down and slow down... :p

in the ellipse, we got a spot RIGHT in front of where Adam would be, right on the railing.

We also ran into some of the people we met in in the GA lineup who also made the ellipse and we all congratulated each other, good times, good times. The anticipation for the show now was incredible. Watching the Boston and Slane DVD's and the inside of the ellipse, I just dreamed of being able to be inside it, let alone RIGHT ON THE RAILING!

My mom was also at the show, I originally had a second row side stage balcony seat that upon scoring another GA, I gave to my mom for her birthday, which afterwards she told me it was by far the best birthday present she's gotten. She recently really fell in love with the band too, after I started listening to them and watching DVD's a lot in the recent months.

She also said my face was on one of the fan-cam's the whole time during the setting up of U2's stage, which seems kind of... weird... :p

We were alse right by the stage camera on the rail and snuck a peek at last night's setlist which was still taped on that showed four songs being filmed.

I was so excited the WHOLE time. When Kings of Leon hit the stage, I was cheering them on like crazy. I think I even remember hearing myself yell "YOU ROCK BASS PLAYER!" As well as singing along mimicing Caleb's crazy singing style during the Bucket, which I'm sure made me look like a complete fool.

When U2 hit the stage, it wasn't even an arena show anymore. It turned into something so personal, and so special. It was just incredible. It was just me and the band, nothing around me was there anymore. I felt the freedom to scream at the top of my lungs, sing whenever I felt like it, be attentive and just watch in awe and wonder, as well as just go nuts. It was incredible.

When the band hit the stage, seeing Adam up close was the coolest thing ever. All of them though, there are so many neat little things that you can only notice when you're co close. Adam and Edge making faces at eachother sometimes. Edge just starting blankly into outer space, then noticing something and making a quirky face.

Back to Adam though. Bass players rock, and it was awesome being on Adam's side, because I too am a Bass player, and it was so damn cool to see such a pro up close.

During one of the early songs, I forget which one, possibly Beautiful Day or Vertigo, Bono was out on the Ellipse singing, and everyone around was watching him. I turned around to Adam and started bobbing my head to the bassline, while I was doing it, he looked at me, smiled, then I smiled, then he made an even bigger smile for a few seconds and nodded before finally turning around again.

Some songs, the ones that knew how to play on bass, I would air-bass to over the edge of railing, such as New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky, and Sunday Bloody Sunday, a couple of times Adam noticed and just started to chuckle, which then made me laugh too. I wonder how many times he actually noticed, because some songs, like Bullet, I'd be doing the air-bass, but watching Bono the whole time, especially during the whole blindfold "Jesus, Jew, Muhammad, It's true" bit. I'm sure he noticed on more than one occasion though :D

There were also these two girls that pushed their way beside me, and were really annoying. What was hilarious though, is how they kept flirting with Adam, and then he winked at them a few times. :p The annoying part, however, is that 1) On more than one occasion, they said "Come on, when are they gonna play something we know!" during the first half of the show. and 2) During the intro to Miracle Drug, when Bono was giving the story about it's inspiration and who it's about, they WOULDN'T SHUT UP! they kept yammering about stupid shit, I really wanted to smack them or at least yell at them, but I resisted, for one reason or another. They were really annoying though.

Another great moment came during An Cat Dubh, which is such a great live song. Near the end, after Bono did his cat crawling around the ellipse, he came back onto the main stage, and did some of his cat growls. I was really enjoying myself, and then Bono did the final big growl right at me, which I returned right back to him as strongly as I could :D That was a really great moment that's forever stored in a flash memory in my mind, clear as day :D

The rest of the show was just so magical, it was very very magical.

Haha, speaking of magic, during into the heart, which Bono pretty much sang all of lying down, and playfully interacting with the crowd off to the side of the ellipse, he did some little hand tricks that parents often do to their kids. Those ones where you'd hit your fists together, and opening and closing one or more fingers with each hit... that was a nice moment.

Some more awesomeness happened during electric co. On Edge's side of the ellipse, these girls had a "Miami <3's U2" sign. Bono noticed it, and busted into a few lines of Miami, I heard Miami, My Mammy... and a few more lines which weren't really audible, but rhythmically sounded a lot like Miami. Then he went right into Send in the Clowns, and he asked those same girls to toss him some lipstick to put on.... he was gesturing around his lips, but the girls had no idea what he wanted, until eventually they realized it and started going through their bags, and Bono smiled and started nodding, like 5 lipsticks went flying at him, but he got the one from the sign girl and put some on for send in the clowns, and then wiped it off with his towel.

But it was all so incredible, seeing everything so up close, it was literally like living in a dream. Such an incredible and personal experience. It was like having the band in my own living room. Something that I don't know I'll ever ever experience again, but having experienced it once, I'll always have that incredible memory.

It was probably the most fun I have ever had, in anything I've done before. I might have even been having too much fun, as pointed out by trevster2k who saw me from his seat on the back of the stage :p It was incredible though, I couldn't stop moving, I couldn't blink. There's so much that goes on. So much energy, so much everything. Amazing, just amazing.

For those of you that say seats are better than GA because of all the fuss and pushing and everything. If you do manage to get into the ellipse, and right against the railing, it'll be the most amazing thing you could possibly experience, making everything worth it. Unforgettable, simply unforgettable.

Too bad I didn't see more of Edge tough, although it was awesome during 40 when he was on our side, btu even Adam went to the other side of the stage on some songs, and during 40, Edge was just in some sort of trance-like state. :p

I didn't have a camera, but amarks, who was two people (the annoying girls) to the right of me, took some with his camera phone and posted in a few in another thread.

All in all, I had the most amazing three days of concerts possible. I experienced the best of everything there was to experience at a U2 show. The best seats for the COBL shoot. Then the tip of the Ellipse with Samurai Bono and the rest of the ellipse antics, during one of the most powerful and magical shows the band ever put on. To the third day, and simply the most special and unforgettable experience being right there, right by the band, sharing laughs with Adam and growls with Bono. Writing that just brings the biggest smile to my face, it was just, so magical, all of it.

This is my favourite picture out of all the ones i took. I just used a film camera, I REALLY need to save up for a digital.

post-87-1114932179.jpg

I enjoyed night 2 quite a bit - although it came across as more 'professional' than night 1 which came across as more 'passionate'. Although, 'Bad' was what I've waited years to hear live and finally lucked on night 1... so I may be a bit jaded...

I was thrilled when Yahweh started, but disgusted when ONE attention whore wrecked the song for EVERYONE else. The sheer nerve of someone who thinks so much of herself that it's OK for her to disrupt a moment that was to have been shared by thousands of others turned my stomach. I suppose we should all be thankful that she burned up the bulk of her 15 minutes of fame with her little show. It's all downhill from here, pink-shirt-dancing-attention-whore. :mad:

In that picture, my wife and I are right beside Bono. That is where he sat down earlier and sang Into the Heart.

For your information, I was in the lowers on Thursday and in the ellipse on Friday. During Bullet, a camera man and an assistant take to the stage and film Bono down on his knees at point blank range both nights. On Thursday, I was able to view the monitors and tell that what was shown on the monitor was a completely different camera for the whole part of the song. As on Friday night when I was in the ellipse, the same camera crew came up and filmed the same thing again. This is just a single example of the intense filming I witnessed during the show.

It should also be noted that the video for City of Blinding Lights is being directed by the same duo that did the Vertigo video. Hamish Hamilton (the Boston director) might be sharing some footage. He might not. He is the director of the Vancouver shows.

Roland of Gilead said:
In that picture, my wife and I are right beside Bono. That is where he sat down earlier and sang Into the Heart.

For your information, I was in the lowers on Thursday and in the ellipse on Friday. During Bullet, a camera man and an assistant take to the stage and film Bono down on his knees at point blank range both nights. On Thursday, I was able to view the monitors and tell that what was shown on the monitor was a completely different camera for the whole part of the song. As on Friday night when I was in the ellipse, the same camera crew came up and filmed the same thing again. This is just a single example of the intense filming I witnessed during the show.

It should also be noted that the video for City of Blinding Lights is being directed by the same duo that did the Vertigo video. Hamish Hamilton (the Boston director) might be sharing some footage. He might not. He is the director of the Vancouver shows.

So what happened to the big plans to meet up in the GA line huh??!!...me & SF were there :madspit: :mad:

we kept wandering up & down the line looking for you and you weren't there. To think we travelled all that way just to meet you :sad: ...oh well, I guess we'll get over it :sigh::wink:

Did you get into the ellipse Tan?

I didn't get to the building until 7:30ish Tan. My plan was to arrive in the morning IF my wife was not going to go with me. I would of loved to come eariler and meet you guys, but my wife (after seeing the first night) wanted to go to the second night. We had to be with our kids all day until 7pm. Only then were my parents free to take them. Sorry Tan. :(

I didn't want to commit and make promises I couldn't keep. Every thing depended on my wife wanting to see the second show. Sorry again. :(

I wore the shirt and was looking out you for you two, but I guess you never made the ellipse? Did you make it there for any of your shows?

Hamish is setting up for Chicago I'm reading this all over the place now. Funny, I'm chatting with him in the Ellipse and I wondered after the show why he wasn't at some booth seeing all the monitors at once. I guess his shots in Vancouver were scouting shots only. That explains why he was in the ellipse sometimes.

Roland of Gilead said:
Did you get into the ellipse Tan?

I didn't get to the building until 7:30ish Tan. My plan was to arrive in the morning IF my wife was not going to go with me. I would of loved to come eariler and meet you guys, but my wife (after seeing the first night) wanted to go to the second night. We had to be with our kids all day until 7pm. Only then were my parents free to take them. Sorry Tan. :(

I didn't want to commit and make promises I couldn't keep. Every thing depended on my wife wanting to see the second show. Sorry again. :(

I wore the shirt and was looking out you for you two, but I guess you never made the ellipse? Did you make it there for any of your shows?

No worries...really :)...I'm a forgiving sort lol.

Glad you made it into the ellipse tho, we never got in for any of the shows...I'm 3 for 0 at the mo & SF is 5 for 0...not liking those stats. We were looking out for you in the ellipse, just in case, but obviously missed you. We were on the railing just left of center outside the ellipse. It was pretty rough, but we survived the pushing & crushing and managed to hold on to our spots.

I can't remember...did u say you were going to Toronto to? If so, we can try & meet then :)

Cheers
Tan

Roland of Gilead said:
Hey Tan, is chat down or something? Can't seem to access it right now.

Yeah, its been down for hours :(
You can PM if u want tho...I'll be around for another hour or so...unless u'r on AOL IM...my nick is UKTan007

Back
Top Bottom