April 21, Pepsi Center in Denver - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:28 PM
April 21, Pepsi Center in Denver

Please post your reviews of the April 21st show here.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Denver, 4/21

Let’s start with the pre-show stuff.

GA Lottery? A non-issue in my book. We arrived at 6:05, got in line, about 450 back or so, and still ended up only 8 ‘rows’ deep at the center of the catwalk. A great view; and with all band members walking the ramp, unless you really want to see the sweat on Bono’s nose, I’m convinced there is no reason to camp out on concrete all day for a better spot.

Kings of Leon – I have never listened to them before, and had no expectations. That said, the music is pretty good, but the vocals and lyrics could use some time. I won’t judge them and with time, they could sell some records and have a decent career – with three kids under 3, I barely have time to listen to U2, let alone search out the next decent rock band.

COBL opened the show, followed, I think, by Beautiful Day, then Vertigo. All came off great, though I was a bit worried as Bono sounded a bit horse early on. It was evident to me early that the band was having fun; I’m not sure, but I don’t recall seeing Adam smile nearly as much in previous shows. Not certain of the order, but Elevation and Gloria were up next. As much has been contemplated out here on Elevation, it came off fine to me – not great, and Bono kind of teased the crowd a bit with when to jump in. It was a blast counting down 2-3-4 as the intro to Gloria.

I’m getting tired, but other highlights for me included Bad, Miracle Drug, RTSS, and Streets. Pride was played, though it seemed a bit like the band was not fully into this song tonight. BTW, my fears about Bono’s voice faded pretty quickly, as he really got going after about the fourth or fifth song; and he was great on Sometimes.

Other nice moments, he brought back the young boy for a short magic trick from the night before, and the woman he danced with during MW held her own. She did a nice job dancing with Bono, but knowing not to take it too far – and she was apparently selected because her husband had a very small sign that read “Touch My Wife” – as Bono coached her gently off the ramp, her reaction and joy was worth the price of admission – she had fun, and the crowd really enjoyed it as well.

Species replaced Yahweh on the second encore – it was full band, and I enjoyed it, but it could use a touch more work. Fly and MW were solid as the first encores, and I’m not a huge fan of MW.

Overall, a great show from my perspective – probably top 2 out of my 14 since 1983 -- the crowd and the band were way into it, the music dominated with the special effects and lighting kept to a minimum. It does sort of feel like this might be the last tour, I hope not, but did get that sense. Finally, it’s U2 and Bono, we got our dose of inspiration about world issues and Africa – it was pretty balanced, and in the end, the music and the band were still the main focus of the show.

Love to hear other perspectives, waiting for Omaha in December.

Good night.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 10:28 PM
I agree with most of BWU2Buff's post. The crowd energy and the setlist determined the greatness of this show. Bad is a staple. Sound Mix was equivalent to last night but all the other intangibles set this night's show apart. Pride is a good song but has to go.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
Babyface

Wow. Wow, wow wow...they BLEW me away last night. I think someone here said that you can judge how good a show is if you look at the very top of the arena to see if those people were dancing. They were-everyone was A ROCKIN. The band was fun, playful, joking and energetic. Maybe I WAS in the wrong place Wednesday, because the sound was SO MUCH BETTER....I got what I wanted from them last night-perfection.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:28 AM
COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least some positive comments on Bono's voice and the show in general. I can't wait... still 2 month and 16 days..... OMG it's too long...
Old 04-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh_OMG
COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least some positive comments on Bono's voice and the show in general. I can't wait... still 2 month and 16 days..... OMG it's too long...
the majority of people are saying his voice is the best in years, and thats what am going with, and i NEVER heard him hitting the woohoo's in elevation on the last tour, but this tour, they are soooo clear, bono's back and lets just enjoy him
Old 04-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Here's a quote from the Denver Post which suggests that Bono's voice (at least in Denver1) was assisted.

"The "oh you look so beautiful tonight" refrain from "City of Blinding Lights" was so much more than just a mating call or even a platonic compliment. It was a grand assertion of beauty, and together with the lights, the on-point instrumentation and Bono's celebrated voice - sounding as bold as ever, though it was sometimes assisted via a recorded track - the message was heard well beyond the Pepsi Center walls."

Here's a link to the complete article.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...827930,00.html
Old 04-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i personally havent heard any backing vocal or anything like that?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Babyface

The concert was great but the sound was HORRID!!! I was in section 126, row 8 (not bad seats) and it sounded as if they just turned all of the dials to 10. I couldn't make out a word that Bono was singing on songs that I wasn't very familiar with. I could follow along on songs I knew well only because I knew the lyrics. Here it is, 1 PM the following day and my ears are still ringing. The sound man should be fired! Otherwise it was a strong show. Great to hear a lot of the older stuff.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

also sorry to reply to my own post, but why on earth would bono want a backing track, when he has edge. and now larry to back him up?

also maybe the reporter heard larry singing? first time he has really sang backing, and if someone dosent know there singing then they could get confused with it being a tape?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

They use backing tracks for BD all the time. Edge isn't singing all those "always" by himself you know.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
They use backing tracks for BD all the time. Edge isn't singing all those "always" by himself you know.
am talking about bono,
Old 04-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
I thought Bono sounded great Wednesday night. I haven't heard that shortness of breath since the opening show and if he can sing at Denver's altitude, he can sing anywhere. Some nights are better than others for various reasons but he sounded really good Wednesday. I was on the rail so at times when he was standing close by it was easy and exciting to hear him hitting the high notes so purely. Not all of them all of the time, but a lot.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
The Fly

This was my first ever U2 show and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen my anyone, amazing performance, Bono's stage presence was incredible. Highlights were streets, Sunday and a great version of One
Old 04-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #15
Val
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:28 PM
I don't care if voice tracks are added. There are only 4 guys up there, playing many notes, and I trust them to decide where the music needs added this or that. After all, it is still their voices/instruments.