April 20, Pepsi Center in Denver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Leading up to the show i had butterlies almost like before a basketball game. i love how they opened with love and peace or else..great opener. the electric co was amazing.. it sounds great over the bootlegs but man, live, edge was JAMMIN out on the elipse. i was very surprised to see him so loose and doing more then keeping the beat with his foot. Sunday bloody sunday just comes alive live. you really forget how great the songs sound live. Edges guitar was very loud i love that but at points it would drown out bono, but i think they were going for that sound. well 1 show down 4 to go.

-The sound SUCKED. I could hardly hear Bono all night, it should have been “The Edge featuring this other guy”. It was that bad, someone needs to be fired. The crowd was rocking though. YOu know how we are, we'll just sing it for you !!!!
-Bono forgot words on Beautiful Day and quickly subbed in stuff about hailing in Denver.
Love And Peace Or Else-Oh my god, I loved the entrance.
Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet) Edge=ROCK GOD
Elevation-wooooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
The Cry-eh
The Electric Co. Edge-ROCK GODLIER
An Cat Dubh-this is terrible in concert!!!!!
Into The Heart-eh
City Of Blinding Lights. Pretty good. Bono seems to like singing it. They brought up this little 5 year old boy and he walked the stage with Bono and waved to everyone.
Beautiful Day-Good, but the sound got really bad during this song.
Miracle Drug-Tight and you could hear bono!
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)-Muy bien
New Year's Day-Not very good. Guitar was turned up way too much, and Bono was almost completely drowned out.
Sunday Bloody Sunday-you know.
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)-very u2, political, dramatic and cool. The opening to Bullet was off by a beat so it sounded weird until they got it together.
Running To Stand Still-I love this song. He could totally mess it up and it would still be perfect.
Pride (In The Name Of Love)-same as always.
Where The Streets Have No Name-Please get off the setlist.
One-Not very good, Bono wasn’t holding up to well. He sang in short bursts, it was odd.
She's A Mystery To Me –very nice and pretty live.

encore(s):
Zoo Station-ROCK GOD. GOD I TELL YOU, ROCK GOD.EDGGGEEE.
The Fly-yay! I am so glad the words behind them were back, because I love going to a concert that tells me everything I know is wrong!
Mysterious Ways-bono "improvised" most of the words. The girl he brought on stage molested him and then dragged him all the way around the stage. I think Bono stopped her and said “is this your show or mine”?
All Because Of You-the crowd sang most of it which was cool, but still the sound....
Yahweh-The crowd sang it which was AWESOME.
40-totally awesome to see live and to sing along with everyone. It gave me goosebumps, and I loved how they exited the stage.

All in all, it was an ok show. I hope that they fix the sound issues for tonight. You could see Bono signaling for most of the first 3 songs to turn his earpiece down and juice his mike up.....

coloradospaul said:
-The sound SUCKED. I could hardly hear Bono all night, it should have been “The Edge featuring this other guy”. It was that bad, someone needs to be fired..

According to reports all of the shows have sound like this. I actually like it like that since im a guitar person:wink:. i was thinking that may actaully be the sound they are looking for, very guitar heavy. i liked the fact that the entire show was very loud. no acoustic breaks just non stop heart pounding rock n roll.

Don't get me wrong. As you can see by my post, I belive Edge is a solid Rock God....its just I like to hear Bono sing. I was having a hard time figuring out if his mike was out, he forgot the words or if a breeze was blowing in the wrong direction carrying the sound away from me :) you know, like at Red Rocks....

mkdominatr said:

According to reports all of the shows have sound like this. I actually like it like that since im a guitar person:wink:. i was thinking that may actaully be the sound they are looking for, very guitar heavy. i liked the fact that the entire show was very loud. no acoustic breaks just non stop heart pounding rock n roll.

First show in phoenix was like this, but the second was much much better.

I'm a guitar guy too, but I did not care for it. I wasn't in Denver so I don't know, but I wouldn't necessarily call Phoenix I guitar heavy, just, well, bad. It was most noticeable on New Year's Day; the piano was way off, way too loud, way to tinny. I get the sense it's not what they were looking for either, because by the middle of the show, they'd made significant changes, and by the second night it was completely different.

Does U2 not do a major soundcheck before the shows to deal with the accoustics of each building? In Phoenix, it was almost like the first show was the soundcheck.

it would be a safe bet to say that u2 does do soundchecks in every arena they play in. keep in mind that when sound checks are being performed there are no fans in the stands. the sound is totally different in an empty arena than when 20000 fans are yelling, screaming, and singing.

Another vote for the sound being muddy, but the concert still was pretty good. Bono's voice is really going. He sang most of the concert ok, but when he talked to the crowd he didn't sound like himself. Like a frog speaking through a pin hole. And by the time he got to Yahweh near the end, his voice was a train wreck. He could barely get the words out. Hope he's refraining from talking and sucking on some oxygen for the benifit of people seeing them on Denver Night 2.

Love and Peace or Else rocked like nobody's business. I don't even like it much on the album, but live it kicked much ass.

Got to say I was suprised how small the Pespi Center is. I was on the floor (outside the elipse) and was packed shoulder to shoulder, front to back. Being 5'8" I could barely see the show and ending up watching the band on the screens most of the time.

I also got tired of people going back and forth getting beers pushing everybody around so they get back to "their place" in the front of the show. What bullshit.

In fact it was a pretty good concert, but having to deal with the tight quarters of the GA floor just kind of ruined it. Maybe I should have known better and gotten a reserved seat. Maybe I was spoiled from getting in to the heart during the Elevation tour. Regardless, I was shocked at what a poor view I had standing on the floor and how aggresively rude people can be when they are two inches away from your face.

I'm a U2 fan, but this concert experience didn't come together for me. I wish I had reserved seats for Denver night 2. Maybe it would be a totally different scene.

Last edited:
I thought this show was freaking fantastic and that it sounded great but I was along the rail outside the ellipse so I guess it depends on where you are. I'm too tired to do a real review but I loved this show as much as Phoenix 2. Bono was in great spirits. I arrived thinking it was all too much already, 3 shows in 1 week, and that I need to retire my U2 concert shoes but this show once again reminded me why we go through that brutal GA hell and now I'll be scrounging around for 3rd leg tickets starting....tonight. :drunk:

adam3000 said:
Another vote for the sound being muddy,

I was on the floor (outside the elipse) and was packed shoulder to shoulder, front to back. Being 5'8" I could barely see the show and ending up watching the band on the screens most of the time.

I was in the back of GA for one show and you're right, the sound was muddy because of all the bodies blocking the sound.

And let me take this opportunity to say that the lottery system sucks. I approached it with an open mind but after experiencing it I do think it's a crap system. You wait outside all day braving the elements (intense heat in Phoenix and cold, rain and hail in Denver), you don't get into the ellipse but have a decent spot on the rail or even 2nd row, and while you're standing there wrecked, exhausted, dehydrated and scared to go get water or go to the bathroom for fear of losing the spot you spent all day trying to get, and then you stand there and watch freshly showered and rested latecomers arrive in the ellipse, coming and going with drinks and bathroom breaks, and I tell you it just plain sucks for the people who were at the arena at 6AM in the morning. If you weren't there early in the morning--say you got there at noon instead which is still a heck of a wait--you get stuck in the middle or back of GA where you can't see or hear shit. Sure people say oh what are you complaining about, you got the rail, well yeah, I got the rail but I also would liked to have had some water and a bathroom break after the hellish day. I am now firmly in the first-come-first-served is most fair camp.

:down:

I went to the concert last night and let me tell you it was the best night of my life. As far as the sound went, I only noticed a few times that Bono's voice was drowned out but I totally forgot about it until I read these reviews. Maybe it was where I was sitting but the sound was great for me. I'll make this a short review because usually after something this amazing happens to me, it takes a few day for everything to come back to me. By far my favorite moment of the show was when Larry sang Elevation. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen! My favorite song is Sunday Bloody Sunday (which was so much fun) but my favorite performance was Yahweh. I loved how The Edge played the acoustic guitar and they were all at the front of the ellipse (which gave me a great view of them from where I was sitting). 40 was wonderful. A great way to end a concert! People continued to sing after U2 left the stage and even as they were leaving the Pepsi Center. Just a fantastic night that I will remember forever and I hope everyone enjoyed at least some of it!

joyfulgirl said:

I was in the back of GA for one show and you're right, the sound was muddy because of all the bodies blocking the sound.

And let me take this opportunity to say that the lottery system sucks. I approached it with an open mind but after experiencing it I do think it's a crap system. You wait outside all day braving the elements (intense heat in Phoenix and cold, rain and hail in Denver), you don't get into the ellipse but have a decent spot on the rail or even 2nd row, and while you're standing there wrecked, exhausted, dehydrated and scared to go get water or go to the bathroom for fear of losing the spot you spent all day trying to get, and then you stand there and watch freshly showered and rested latecomers arrive in the ellipse, coming and going with drinks and bathroom breaks, and I tell you it just plain sucks for the people who were at the arena at 6AM in the morning. If you weren't there early in the morning--say you got there at noon instead which is still a heck of a wait--you get stuck in the middle or back of GA where you can't see or hear shit. Sure people say oh what are you complaining about, you got the rail, well yeah, I got the rail but I also would liked to have had some water and a bathroom break after the hellish day. I am now firmly in the first-come-first-served is most fair camp.

thank you. here's hoping they drop the lottery for the third leg. or maybe a compromise ... half the people in the elipse are those that were waiting all day and the other half is lottery. ... personally i would vote for ... if you've been waiting all day ... then you get in. Seems only fair.

Was She's a mystery to me played like a snippet on the Elevation tour, or a longer version, like Brooklyn Bridge?

joyfulgirl said:

If you weren't there early in the morning--say you got there at noon instead which is still a heck of a wait--you get stuck in the middle or back of GA where you can't see or hear shit. Sure people say oh what are you complaining about, you got the rail, well yeah, I got the rail but I also would liked to have had some water and a bathroom break after the hellish day. I am now firmly in the first-come-first-served is most fair camp.

Respectfully, I totally disagree, but it all depends on how close you want to be. Went to Denver 2 tonight. Arrived at 6 ish; spent 35 minutes or so in line, and did not get beeped for the bomb shelter. So what happens? Without shoving or doing anything, we are 8 'rows' of people back from the tip. A great view, and the sound was great. Plus, we had 2 potty breaks.

If you want to get close enought to touch the band, or see the sweat run off their faces, by all means, camp out and hope. Otherwise, show up around 6 or 7, get a decent spot on the floor, and enjoy the show.

Works fine for me.

BWU2Buffs said:

Respectfully, I totally disagree, but it all depends on how close you want to be. Went to Denver 2 tonight. Arrived at 6 ish; spent 35 minutes or so in line, and did not get beeped for the bomb shelter. So what happens? Without shoving or doing anything, we are 8 'rows' of people back from the tip. A great view, and the sound was great. Plus, we had 2 potty breaks.

If you want to get close enought to touch the band, or see the sweat run off their faces, by all means, camp out and hope. Otherwise, show up around 6 or 7, get a decent spot on the floor, and enjoy the show.

Works fine for me.

Cool. Glad it worked for you. Being 8 rows back did not work for me at all the one show where I arrived late. I could not see any band member at all (and I'm 5'8" plus 1.5" heels), I was squished and the sound was muddy. That was my experience. Glad yours was different. I don't need to touch the band (how ridiculous) but if I go to all the trouble of driving 6 hours or getting on a plane, I'd like to see something and hear better. Waiting in line all day pretty much guarantees that but with other inconveniences. I just think first-come is most fair after experiencing GA 3 times on this tour but it's a boring argument at this point.

It depends on your version of a snippet. They played it at the Brooklyn Bridge? How much more to that concert was there? I downloaded the stuff off of itunes and assumed that was all of it.

mkdominatr said:
Wow. Leading up to the show i had butterlies almost like before a basketball game. i love how they opened with love and peace or else..great opener. the electric co was amazing.. it sounds great over the bootlegs but man, live, edge was JAMMIN out on the elipse. i was very surprised to see him so loose and doing more then keeping the beat with his foot. Sunday bloody sunday just comes alive live. you really forget how great the songs sound live. Edges guitar was very loud i love that but at points it would drown out bono, but i think they were going for that sound. well 1 show down 4 to go.

butterflies and basketball...:applaud: Clarence Valley 2nd place getters :applaud:

love and peace :applaud:

jammin' :applaud:

I'll never forget how good Sunday Bloody Sunday is live ( Brisbane 1998..baby please, baby please come home)

You guys are so very lucky. I can't believe the people that have so much to complain about. You have no idea, you really really don't.

I have a friend in the USA at the moment visiting her daughter who is a nanny there for now. I took her to both U2 concerts I've seen here in Oz :fond memories: I sure hope she gets to see them this wobbly leg of the tour.
U2 :heart: Stay warm fellas

Last edited:
coloradospaul said:
-
-Bono forgot words on Beautiful Day and quickly subbed in stuff about hailing in Denver.
Love And Peace Or Else-Oh my god, I loved the entrance.
Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet) Edge=ROCK GOD
Elevation-wooooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
The Cry-eh
The Electric Co. Edge-ROCK GODLIER
An Cat Dubh-this is terrible in concert!!!!!
Into The Heart-eh
City Of Blinding Lights. Pretty good. Bono seems to like singing it. They brought up this little 5 year old boy and he walked the stage with Bono and waved to everyone.
Beautiful Day-Good, but the sound got really bad during this song.
Miracle Drug-Tight and you could hear bono!
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)-Muy bien
New Year's Day-Not very good. Guitar was turned up way too much, and Bono was almost completely drowned out.
Sunday Bloody Sunday-you know.
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)-very u2, political, dramatic and cool. The opening to Bullet was off by a beat so it sounded weird until they got it together.
Running To Stand Still-I love this song. He could totally mess it up and it would still be perfect.
Where The Streets Have No Name-Please get off the setlist.
One-Not very good, Bono wasn’t holding up to well. He sang in short bursts, it was odd.

encore(s):
Zoo Station-ROCK GOD. GOD I TELL YOU, ROCK GOD.EDGGGEEE.
The Fly-yay! I am so glad the words behind them were back, because I love going to a concert that tells me everything I know is wrong!
Mysterious Ways-bono "improvised" most of the words. The girl he brought on stage molested him and then dragged him all the way around the stage. I think Bono stopped her and said “is this your show or mine”?
All Because Of You-the crowd sang most of it which was cool, but still the sound....
Yahweh-The crowd sang it which was AWESOME.
40-totally awesome to see live and to Muy bien with everyone. It gave me goosebumps, and I loved how they exited the stage.

All in all, it was an ok show. I hope that they fix the sound issues for tonight. You could see Bono signaling for most of the first 3 songs to turn his earpiece down and juice his mike up.....

Rock Godlier :bow: that's my boys :up:

"When Johnny Comes Marching Home"
??? truly ?

"Tight" ...of course :applaud:

"Muy bien" -I don't speak spanish...or french... they were good ?

"Running To Stand Still-I love this song"....so do I :applaud:

"Pride (In The Name Of Love)-same as always"....what? very very good?

"She's a Mystery To Me -very nice and pretty live" .... this is the song that I was moved to see on the set list ( **kicks herself for not collecting luka bloom's set list recently...kick kick**) and motivated me to post.
Uncle Roy :applaud:
I heard it on the radio a couple of days ago and it stopped me in my tracks :heart:

“is this your show or mine”? :lmao: pesky fans ** gives Bono a whip for his birthday. Australian leather

"goosebumps"...ohhh nice :applaud: that good eh?

"juice his mike up" :eyebrow:

thanks for the review coloradopaul. I'll treasure it.

Viva U2
:)

I thought the show was awesome
but then again Im biased.....Im the infamous molester:|

I thought Bono's voice was incredible during SYCMIOYO. The siiiiiiing part was excellent.
I was really looking forward to hearing zoo station so Im glad they played that :yes:

This was my first show so everything was new to me. I kept getting excited by seeing Edge bring out a new guitar, or seeing Bono pull his jacket off his shoulder.....PLEBA at heart

I wasnt particularly impressed with "one" for some reason.. The second night was better for that song than the first but still not stellar.

They needed to turn Bono up a few times but I think they were able to figure out the sound issues pretty quickly.

Adam was so cute! He kept walking around the catwalk with a cheeky smile. he stopped right in front of me quite a few times, and he was looking good!

Love and peace was awesome, with the dark room and spotlights. It was a pleasant surprise to hear Bono's voice live for the first time, and have it be strong and energetic.

I also liked the "everyone" bit before the show :yes:

:drool: ending with 40 is amazing. I never thought I would get to hear them play that live.

Bono is so cute with his drum during love and peace....and larry with his keyboard during yaweh (which he was late for)

I dont need to say anything about mysterious ways :D other than it was a really good song :sexywink:

Cant wait till philly!

MysteryGirl said:
All I can say is...U2, THANK YOU FOR THE BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still in the clouds!!! :D

my birthday was the day before so that was my "birthday show" as well! Happy Birthday!

I saw both Denver shows and IMO the sound and performance was better on 04/20 but the setlist and crowd were better on 04/21.

Back
Top Bottom