April 15, Glendale Arena in Phoenix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rocking kick butt! Awesome! Brought the house down! I can't give enough exclamation points for this show tonight. As I was leaving, all I heard was: F.Awesome, Brilliant, Great, Millions better than last night, the best ever...from everyone! I can hardly breathe...can hardly talk....

SURPRISE..........................they played................BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a hance hall, non-stop adrenaline-rush, pumping heart beat stopping thrillride!! This was U2 at its best.

You should have seen the smile on Bono's face...worth a million dollars. Thank you, guys, you nailed it. When Bono brought up a young woman to dance with him on the main stage during Mysterious Ways...the entire place went nuts! She was a great dancer, and Bono took her all around the stage to wild applause. Then when they got back he told her "You're Beautiful!" And then to the band he yelled "Stay on stage!" because normally they would take a break...but the place was on cloud-9, rocking away, and they stormed into "ABOY" and the place went frenetic. God...it put me into orbit.

(ok, get a good laugh at my expense while I'm sitting here totally exhausted after the Phoenix2 show...I put this review under the Denver slot!!! Then saw my mistake and had to copy it here! HA! Guess it's time to sleep eh? Who can sleep after such a great concert?

What a difference a day makes

What a show. In many ways, it's not even fair to compare tonight to last night. At least in my book, tonight gets compared to the best U2 shows I've seen, and the very best concerts I've seen period.

Tonight's was one of those shows where you simply remember why you go through it all -- the lines, the ticketmaster crap, all of it, just hoping you'll catch a big fish. The kind where you're wishing, as it's happening, that every U2 fan could be in the building.

First, they fixed the sound problems. It was all much better tonight. Second, although I significantly prefer Love and Peace or Else to City of Blinding Lights on the record, City is a dramatically better show opener. The first six songs tonight were as tight and strong as any stretch I've seen in my now 22 years of attending U2 concerts through 6 tours. LAPOE is also a way better intro in Sunday Bloody Sunday. The pacing differences between tonight and last night were night and day. Third, the crowd was way better tonight, and that's not a knock on last night's crowd either. I'd add that for those thinking that a strong crowd response at the end of 40 may create another encore, if it didn't tonight, I just don't see it happening in the absence of extraordinary circumstances. It was as strong a 40 crowd participation tonight as you'd have seen in 1987.

The most noticeable thing about tonight was how stripped down the main set (pre encore) was. There was virtually no shtick at all. No crowd surfing by Bono. Very very limited fly shades (they may not have come out at all) and posing. Virtually zero playing to the back of the crowd. The ellipse was hardly used at all, except briefly for the standard numbers (Sometimes You Can't, e.g.). Only one brief instance of taking anything from the crowd, and very little hand shaking with the crowd. No hanging of necklaces on the mic stand, or pope stories, or even stories at all. Even the One public service part of the show was exceptionally brief; much shorter than last night (which is the only other show of the tour I have to compare to). Other than a couple of forays onto the ellipse, Bono pretty much stuck to his spot -- no accompanying the Edge over to the piano for New Year's day or hamming with Adam.

It was simply all about the music tonight in the main set, just a very hard driving hour and forty five minutes of technically perfect and high intensity music. One thing I was watching in particular was the Edge's guitar changes. He called a few off and just stuck with the guitar he was playing. The main set was virtually an all Fender affair -- much of it was played with the standard telecaster, which I think last night might have been around for one song. He had a new stratocaster that I didn't see last night -- It looked like a Pewter or Black Clapton custom shop model, and he also played the sunburst strat. The point is that there was virtually zero wasted motion tonight -- just song into song with quick guitar changes. One short interlude about Phoenix -- the cities and buildings of glass and steel rising from the beautiful desert. But other than that it was all about the music tonight; even the snippets were brief.

The encore was a little disappointing. It almost seemed like they just wanted to blow through it. They definitely called off some song in an audible at the beginning of the encore (Zoo Station seems most likely given prior setlists). They huddled before Yahweh and clearly made the decision not to leave the stage, whith the Edge calling for the accoustic very quickly, and they pushed through it fast. The Fly was extremely tight, though -- much better than last night and maybe the best Fly I've seen. Even during the encore, the shtick was to a minimum. No goose stepping, or audience surfing. Bono pulled up one woman from the ellipse and danced with her during mysterious ways around the ellipse. Maybe she's a regular. It was refreshing to actually see a person of color in the arena -- at one point when the house lights were on, I looked around and simply could not see any nonwhite person. Such is Phoenix, I guess.

Anyway, an extraordinary show. If it's a blue print for second nights in multiple city stands, I think people are going to be very happy.

Slightly funny story -- as we're going home, I ask Mrs. Regularguy what she thought before I told her what I thought. (Although I'm sure it was obvious from how much I enjoyed myself.) She was quiet for a long time -- as I learned later making it seem like she was thinking about the question while in fact she was thinking up something funny to say. Her comment -- "Was it really necessary to have TWO heroin songs?" Not funny you say? Well, I guess you had to be there.

To show how much fun Bono was having, at one point he was pretending to do magic tricks at his mic. He didn't get much response, so he shrugged and put his arms out to both sides, probably laughing at himself. Later as he went along the ellipse, he started singing "Follow the yellow brink road...". He said once "There's Adam, back from his walk-about. I don't know what's gotten in him...but I like it!"

jmacken7 said:
To show how much fun Bono was having, at one point he was pretending to do magic tricks at his mic. He didn't get much response, so he shrugged and put his arms out to both sides, probably laughing at himself. Later as he went along the ellipse, he started singing "Follow the yellow brink road...". He said once "There's Adam, back from his walk-about. I don't know what's gotten in him...but I like it!"

I forgot about that. A little while later, he said, "Adam made fun of me for my magic tricks," or something like that.

Since I was right behind the stage, I noticed that Bono was wearing the cross that the Pope had given him. He kept making sure it was still there and not lost! He was like a little kid, having a great time, he was bouncing, jumping all over the stage during the rocking songs. His voice on Sometimes was great. He really put his entire soul into this show tonight.

bono said, "larry told me i needed to apologize for the mgaic trick"

then he said, "but im not gonna do it"

man oh man, what a great show

I really love the acoustic 40 when all 4 guys are at the point of the ellipse playing. It shows that the music is something special that emanates from the great friendship and combined talents of these individuals who make up U2. It's like they go back in time literally and touch the reason why they are still making music and making us love it all so much.

What a city, what a night, what a show! I thought it was the best live version of Bad I have heard for ages - cant wait to get the boot

if anyone has photos of the "Mysterious Ways" girl, please please PLEASE post them!!! she is my best friend, and would be eternally grateful to have them...

thank you!!!!

btw, as an added piece of info, she was there last night with her Mom- yup, her mom waited all day with her in GA and stood on the front rail of the ellipse... a very special moment for her, indeed!! :wink:

Bono said the MW's dancer's name 4-5 times at the end of the song and told her she was beautiful.:)

Since she posts here I would love to hear about it from her.:)
I congratulated her after the show.
She was still very giddy.

db9

I have to agree with everyone's take on last nights concert...If the 14th show was a 7, last night's was a 10...I was floor on Thursday and had reserved seats yesterday..I tell you it was a real treat to see both shows...when they played Bad...It was so special. Gloria was fabulous..and the new material really shined. I felt that last nights set had such a good flow to it..unlike thursday's show. COBL is a much better opener and then right into Beautiful Day..It ranks up there with some of the best U2 shows I have seen.

Well after so many reports of bad sound from the previuos night I thought I had better come and check it out. The sound and the show were both amazing. Met Ruffian, Chipiz, Jesseu2 and ended up next to Martha for most of the show. Thanks to Diamond for the use of his couch.
Thats it for me for this leg - See you in the fall.

Last edited:
Being behind the stage, it was interesting to watch the teleprompter. It was a way for me to know for sure what song was up next! I used by binoculars to see the screen. Before the show it was funny to see the cursor moving around...it's a terminal linked to someone's PC. But I never saw Bono look at it. He was right on target with words, and of course made up a lot!

*Ally* said:
if anyone has photos of the "Mysterious Ways" girl, please please PLEASE post them!!! she is my best friend, and would be eternally grateful to have them...

thank you!!!!

btw, as an added piece of info, she was there last night with her Mom- yup, her mom waited all day with her in GA and stood on the front rail of the ellipse... a very special moment for her, indeed!! :wink:

Ally-
Go here:

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/tour...- Glendale (Pictures by J Brice)/&startpic=80

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/tour...le (Pictures by J Brice)/DSC01172.jpg&non_lr=
tourpictures

Kelia was sooo in her element dancing and Bono was mesmerize with her.:)

db9

Last edited:
i gotta say... after all the negative reviews i've been reading, and the fact that i still can not warm up to the new record after about 20 spins of it... this was a great show.
the band appeared to be really getting into just playing... not playing rock gods... but just playing. that's what makes for a good show.
bad was an unsuspected and completely fantastic surprise, running to stand still was a major moment, and gloria made me feel like i was 17 years old again at the bronco bowl in dallas for the war tour.
now... that all being said, i would also like to add (sorry, folks, but we've all got opinions and they're all valid) that as far as production goes, this is the most boring u2 tour i've ever seen. i've heard a lot of complaints about the light curtain... hell, i LIKE the light curtain... they should use it a whole hell of a lot more. too much with the up and down of the damn thing... just leave it down and add more graphics, it looks really cool.
but no... instead almost every songe is a wash of color (mostly blue... song, after song, after song) with white spotlights with no changes with the rhythm of the tune. that was just weird to me. they've always been so expressive with their lighting cues, especially on elevation, that i was pretty shocked by the lack of light movement last night. it was as if whoever was running them wasn't really all that familiar with the material. perhaps the regular guy was sick or something?
also... the ellipse... lose it. it's really not used that much on this tour, so just get rid of the thing, and let those in the back of the floor get a better view of the great band on stage. it's nice to have them come out on it for the couple of times they do (although last night it seemed you couldn't keep adam off of it), but overall it's a distraction, i think
as for all those posts about this being "elevation pt. 2", that's waaaay off base... the production on this tour is not fit to even sit at the same table as elevation. it is a vastly different production, and not really for the better.
BUT... before you fanatics who unquestionably praise any and every single thing with the u2 corporate stamp on it tear me a new butthole for daring to have the audacity to question anything at all about our favorite little 4 piece from ireland... let me just reiterate that even with all the technical issues i had with this show, i still feel that in the end it's about the music... and the music was great.
they played really well last night, and it was a lot of fun. i hope i get to see them again soon.

I went to both Phoenix shows and they were night and day. Both good, but every now and then you catch U2 when they climb to higher plain, and April 15th, 2005 was one of those nights. Hands down, best show of the tour so far (best show I've seen of 6 over the years). The band was really into the Phoenix crowd, the setlist was awesome, the songs flowed evenly and the band was nailing every song. It's amazing how Gloria sounds fresh after so many years (and so little time played in the last 15 yrs or so). The segueway into "The Ocean" was beautiful as well. Obviously the highlight had to be the premier of Bad. All I can say is wow. As many times I've heard that song performed, to hear it yet again take another turn was brilliant. Bono had the crowd singing a pro-longed "woo-hoo" chant as the song quieted down, only to have another build-up to it's glorious conclusion. Prior to that, Running to Stand Still saw a return to the "Still Running" chorus before the "Allelujahs." Nice memories. The 7 songs in a row of SBS, Bullet, Running, Bad, Pride, Streets and One made this absolutely incredible. And then to get the Fly and Mysterious ways after the break? Wow. All in all a spectacular show.

Oh, and it's great to be a u2.com member for shows without a presale. I had GA's, showed up right as doors opened for the gigantic GA line and practically walked right in through the seperate u2.com line. Gotta love it.

Last night's show was my very first U2 concert...a long time a-coming. (Yep, I was a U2 virgin. ;) )

I absolutely loved it! Bono's energy and boyish charm were absolutely infectious! He appeared to be relaxed and sooooooooo in his element. He definitely can command an audience. The boys sounded awesome, and their flawless playing appeared as natural and easy to them as breathing. But then, you all already knew all of this.

Unlike some people, I had no problem with the setlist. The couple of "bonus surprises" they tossed in were an unexpected joy, one that the crowd definitely showed their appreciation for. I thought the lighting was good (loved the curtain and the colors), not quite as good as I expected...but good none the less.

The only thing that I feel worthy of any "downer" comments, has to do with the engineering/sound guys. What was up at the beginning of the show (about the first 4-5 songs), with Bono's sound? It sounded like he was fading in and out alot, and I know it wasn't his fault.

All in all, an experience and concert I'll never forget. Probably one of the best connections I've seen a band have with their audience in a lonnnng time. Definitely worth every penny I paid. :D

i went thursday and friday, thursday wasnt very fun, well it was, but i was way up high and the section i was in wasnt moving... Friday i had GA, and i got inside "bomb shelter" and it was amazing, i was in the 1st/2nd row the whole time, i got some amazing pictures. i was by the girl and her mother for awhile too. They played awesome, the crowd was great, and i had the time of my life, ill never forget it..

Bad snippets?

A question for anyone who went to Phoenix #2. Was Bad the same version roughly as peformed on the Elevation tour, or did it have a full ending like it used to on Joshua Tree etc. (rather than just fading to another song like in Elevation?).

Did it include all the verses? Or did they cut one out?

And were there any snippets (ie. Ruby Tuesday etc.).

Thanks!
Nick

thank you so much, diamond, for the link to the photos!!! i really appreciate- as will khelia!

she was defintely on cloud 9 last night- she called me right after the show and was positively giddy...

i am SO GLAD that they played "bad"!!! i hope they keep rotating that in... what a beautiful surprise for everyone last night.

one more thing: not so sure i love bono's hat... :wink: :eyebrow:

no no bono's hat is the sh#t.
it works.

u need to see it in real time.:yes:

Bono goes into "Im the Commander and Pilot of this ShowMode" once the hat is put on.

it works.

Khelia is one graceful lady. And while dancing she lets herself go in a classy way.
Her ma sholud be proud.:)

db9

Fucking awesome show.

GLORIA!!!!!!!!!!!

And me dead center against the rail at the tip of the oval. :combust:

Back
Top Bottom