April 10, HP Pavilion in San Jose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will be back here tomorrow night for this posting. This is soooo AWESOME! Cant wait till morning, I'm GONE! (to the show).

"Thank GOD we are coming back to the Bay Area!" -April 10, San Jose

What an amazing performance. Maybe even one for the ages.

New York City? Dublin? Boston? They have NOTHING on the Bay Area when it comes to hosting legendary U2 performances. As Bono said tonight, "you all invented love and peace, right?"

I just got home after 2 incredible shows in 2 nights. I'll write a proper review later, but here are the highlights:

- band is in full flight. every song is tight, well-executed, and sounds incredible

- Bono explains how much he loves the Bay Area, and how he attended services this morning at Glide Memorial Church (which Bono has once described as "the church I would join if I belonged to a church") in San Francisco

- Larry is grinning the entire show again, and sings along for multiple songs

- The band unveils Original of the Species!!!!!!!!!! Did I call it or what?! I said they'd play this tonight like a month ago! If I had search capabilities I'd go back and find my post so I could really brag, but that would be unbecoming now wouldn't it. Talk about an ideal Bay Area anthem: no wonder they played it in San Jose at the Apple conference. It's only ever been played here, so far! :) At the beginning, Bono thanked the Bay Area for "building the 21st century."

- The band was ecstatic all night, as was the crowd. More good vibes than a xylophone factory. My 14th show, and this was the best of all of them, including the San Jose shows last tour, which Bono called the best performances of his career

- Bono wears a long-sleeve red dress shirt at the end of the show

- A gorgeous, shy, demure girl named Iris with awesome dancing skills is pulled onstage during Mysterious Ways. "It's okay, you can step out..." Bono urges, which finally got her to dance, and what a beautiful dancer she was. Bono was clearly touched, saying at the end, after she was back in the crowd, "That's Iris. Thank you for dancing. When you all dance like that, it is your gift to us."

- Last night Bono sang "Take this city's heart, and don't let it break." Tonight, we got "Johnny comes back to San Jose," as well as lots of other choice San Jose / San Francisco references

- At the end, Bono goes, "I want to thank... GOD... that, that... that we are coming BACK to the Bay Area! We'll see you in the fall!" Thunderous applause and pandemonium ensue.

Alright, gotta sleep.... 9 am conference call at work with bankers in New York... 'night y'all...

U2 show # 14: 9.1/10 on personal enjoyment level (in the GA crowd, so view wasn't the best, but the vibe was incredible), and 9.9/10 on band performance.

-

New York City? Dublin? Boston? They have NOTHING on the Bay Area when it comes to hosting legendary U2 performances. As Bono said tonight, "you all invented love and peace, right?"

I just got home after 2 incredible shows in 2 nights. I'll write a proper review later, but here are the highlights:

- band is in full flight. every song is tight, well-executed, and sounds incredible

- Bono explains how much he loves the Bay Area, and how he attended services this morning at Glide Memorial Church (which Bono has once described as "the church I would join if I belonged to a church") in San Francisco

- Larry is grinning the entire show again, and sings along for multiple songs

- The band unveils Original of the Species!!!!!!!!!! Did I call it or what?! I said they'd play this tonight like a month ago! If I had search capabilities I'd go back and find my post so I could really brag, but that would be unbecoming now wouldn't it. Talk about an ideal Bay Area anthem: no wonder they played it in San Jose at the Apple conference. It's only ever been played here, so far! At the beginning, Bono thanked the Bay Area for "building the 21st century."

- The band was ecstatic all night, as was the crowd. More good vibes than a xylophone factory. My 14th show, and this was the best of all of them, including the San Jose shows last tour, which Bono called the best performances of his career

- Bono wears a long-sleeve red dress shirt at the end of the show

- A gorgeous, shy, demure girl named Iris with awesome dancing skills is pulled onstage during Mysterious Ways. "It's okay, you can step out..." Bono urges, which finally got her to dance, and what a beautiful dancer she was. Bono was clearly touched, saying at the end, after she was back in the crowd, "That's Iris. Thank you for dancing. When you all dance like that, it is your gift to us."

- Last night Bono sang "Take this city's heart, and don't let it break." Tonight, we got "Johnny comes back to San Jose," as well as lots of other choice San Jose / San Francisco references

- At the end, Bono goes, "I want to thank... GOD... that, that... that we are coming BACK to the Bay Area! We'll see you in the fall!" Thunderous applause and pandemonium ensue.

Alright, gotta sleep.... 9 am conference call at work with bankers in New York... 'night y'all...

U2 show # 14: 9.1/10 on personal enjoyment level (in the GA crowd, so view wasn't the best, but the vibe was incredible), and 9.9/10 on band performance.

SJ show #2

Both nights were awesome! Meeting Bono, 2 great shows with excellent spots, and so on....!

I took a lot of clips on nite 2- they are slow to change to this file form, but its easiest...

(oops- if you tried to click on the files I had- they didn't work so I need to try something else.... I just removed the 4 clips I put up as they didnt seem to work...)

I have clips of OOTS, Iris dancing, and so on- great stuff.

If you want samples of OOTS live email me at Bret6262@aol.com and in the meantime I will keep tryin .com to upload it here....

also- Iris if you are out there I have your Mysterious "dance" filmed....

Last edited:
Yay!:happy: Great review! Now I'm really super excited for my first show (Vancouver hopefully) in almost two weeks! Woohoo!

How did Original sound? That's so awesome that they've played it. Now let's just hope for Crumbs soon!

Thank you for that!!! Oh man I'm so excited now, I have tickets for Oakland in November and it will be my first U2 show. :D What is it with bands and the bay area..hehe Pearl Jam feels the same way about SF. I guess its just all that great music history. We're lucky to live in such a great area.

clips aren't working but......

here are some photos....nite 2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/HPIM1527.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/HPIM1521.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/HPIM1526.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/HPIM1548.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/bret6262/HPIM1566.jpg

The you send it files aren't loading on here due to a filter it seems, so if you want live clips until I figure it out email me and just tell me what yo are looking for- i.e. Iris dancing (big files), pre-showday#1, OOTS, etc....

Bret6262@aol.com

Last edited:
Re: clips aren't working but......

bret6262 said:

The you send it files aren't loading on here due to a filter it seems, so if you want live clips until I figure it out email me and just tell me what yo are looking for- i.e. Iris dancing (big files), pre-showday#1, OOTS, etc....

Bret6262@aol.com

Can you just post the link without the words you send it and have us fill it in?

What to say about a band that only one word has to be said? U2! The show was awesome. And everyone... Please don't forget the cameras, they were allowed last night. Bono was awesome. His voice hit the high notes awesomly and hit the lows also. I know I'm hoarse today. That man can SING! And I mean SING! "CAN YOU HERE ME WHEN I SING!" and yes we can. Edge played a mean guitar last night. His sound system is great, better than great! He knows how to jam on his guitar's. EXECELLENT! Adam was really getting into it also. He also knows how to play a mean bass. He looked great! His hair is growing out, he looked over all, healthy! Larry, oh my gosh, those drums... the man sure knows how to play them! (hmmm... wonder what else he can do with those hands. ) sorry guys. WOW! It is very much worth the price. I had the $160.00 tickets. they did open with LAPOE! on the oval. if you can get to the oval or to the front, do it. but if you get to the front, you better know how to dance to Mysterious Ways. He did pull up Iris and she shook it! I think Bono was even impressed. Iris... EXECELLENT JOB WELL DONE! I hope this gives you waiting fans a little insight into what is in store. enjoy the wait because they are VERY WELL WORTH IT!

What to say about a band that only one word has to be said? U2! The show was awesome. And everyone... Please don't forget the cameras, they were allowed last night. Bono was awesome. His voice hit the high notes awesomely and hit the lows very well too. I know I'm hoarse today. That man can SING! And I mean SING! "CAN YOU HERE ME WHEN I SING!" and yes we can. Edge played a mean guitar last night. His sound system is great, better than great! He knows how to jam on his guitar's. EXCELLENT! Adam was really getting into it also. He also knows how to play a mean bass. He looked great! His hair is growing out, he looked over all, healthy! Larry, oh my gosh, those drums... the man sure knows how to play them! (hmmm... wonder what else he can do with those hands. ) sorry guys. WOW! It is very much worth the price. I had the $160.00 tickets. they did open with LAPOE! on the oval. if you can get to the oval or to the front, do it. but if you get to the front, you better know how to dance to Mysterious Ways. He did pull up Iris and she shook it! I think Bono was even impressed. Iris... EXCELLENT JOB WELL DONE! I hope this gives you waiting fans a little insight into what is in store. enjoy the wait because they are VERY WELL WORTH IT!

http://s38. .com/d.aspx?id=1PZHMKJ2BZSEZ3RJW65MVN7AF1

http://s38. .com/d.aspx?id=1W7RXDMZ79XK61NPE1UDUOTC04

http://s37. .com/d.aspx?id=2BJ2P2N0OICT11RJYMFQ2Q4MNE

http://s37. .com/d.aspx?id=0WXJI9XB3TH2R035YSMIOI55H7

http://s39. .com/d.aspx?id=3E4IMOD4I2I743GZZTHEU5TFTM

I see what you guys are saying- sorry (rough past 3 days!) ok do what you need to do here.. fill in the blanks between the 2 periods........

The show last night was amazing!!

Kings of Leon started out by saying this night the crowd were better than the night before. I guess they got heckled alot on Saturday?

I think the energy was definitely there and when U2 came on it was magic.

The highlight for me obviously was the debut of Original of the Species!!! I knew they might pull something out in San Jose as they did with Kite last time. So glad I picked the second night to go!

The girl Iris who got up with Bono was awesome... she really knew how to dance...you could tell Bono was really impressed.

Edge was on fire! Wow. I love that man and he really jammed!

I had a great spot on the railing right by where Bono started the show singing Love or Peace or Else and man- he knows how to draw in the crowd and make them his.

I was really impressed with Sometimes... being so close to Bono while he sang that you could see the strength, power, love and energy he put into every note. And no matter where you were I'm sure ... his voice carried that song amazingly.

I loved One... after reading reviews of the whole cell phone thing, it sounded kinda lame but when it actually happened - it was really moving. Amazing how cell phones have taken the place of lighters! It really does light up the place with magical looking lights.

I thought all the songs were strong and I had the best time. I didnt get into the ellipse but damn! the way that band can play... it just takes you with them.

I hope others took lots of pics to share as I was too busy gawking at Edge the whole time and watching Bono do the rounds. Adam even went around once :)

Oh and celebs at the show: Michelle Pfeiffer, Steve Jobs and Lars from Metallica were all there. The only one I saw was Michelle with her kids at the back of the ellipse. Doesn't matter who you are... you go to see U2!!!

Thanx for that great review... I really can't wait to see them in New York. I have tix for seven shows in my area includind CT (not my favorite site to see them, but they'll be there, and so will I) and am getting more excited reading these reviews.

I think the greatest thing about U2 (and correct me if you think I'm wrong)is there ability to connect to their audience. I've seen them in Miami, LA, and Dublin. In each city, they make you feel like there is no better place in the world to be. Last tour; when they played the song New York (one of my least favorite songs) the place just exploded in Madison Square Garden. I saw them in Brooklyn for their free concert in Brooklyn and Bono spoke of how COBL was written about New York, and how that there is "no better place to be". In Miami, he spoke of the "flavor of the city" and how it was intoxicating.. and we all know what happens when they come home to Dublin!

The point is: wherever they go.. U2 is the greatest band in the world, because they make you FEEL that this concert is the greatest, your city is the greatest, and the people are the greatest. And I really don't think it's a bad thing. They just put so much heart and soul into each show, that there is no question that, for that one night, it truly is the show of their lives, and there is no other place to be than where you, and they, are!

Enjoy the tour! It WILL always be the show of our lives!

thanks for posting those video clips, bret! i love the ones of iris dancing w/ bono during MW... she did a great job!!! :wink: :up:

The clips aren't working for me, says it can't find the server. What am I supposed to be filling in between the dots?

WOW!!! Awesome video clips!
Seeing clips like that just reconfirms why U2 is the best band in the frickin' world!!

Wow! Thanks for the awesome clips. Go, Iris! I know that if I ever got pulled up, I would melt into a puddle of goo... I don't think I would be coherent, let alone dance like that! *G*

LyricalDrug said:

Are you joking?

And I think the Bono quote is a reference to San Francisco hippies more than it is a reflection on the quality of the crowd.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Are you joking?

And I think the Bono quote is a reference to San Francisco hippies more than it is a reflection on the quality of the crowd.
HAHAHA i was waiting for your comment, mr negative, just as everybody iis saying what a great show it was, you come in and bring everyone back down to earth with your happiness

Nice review and nice addition by Atrivis.

Yes, U2 connects with the audience. The nice thing is they talk about how they like the city and it isn't a load of garbage, as Bono pulls out personal experiences on why he loves each town. He doesn't just give some generalized "We love this town" to each city so it comes of so much more genuine.

Well, except on Elevation in Cleveland when he was talking about how upset Cleveland must be for losing the Bears to Baltimore (it should have been the Browns).

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Are you joking?

Don't forget the power of a U2 show is that it makes every city feel like a Dublin show. Bono and the boys obviously made the bay area folks feel pretty good this past weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom