April 10, HP Pavilion in San Jose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Atrivis said:
Thanx for that great review... I really can't wait to see them in New York. I have tix for seven shows in my area includind CT (not my favorite site to see them, but they'll be there, and so will I) and am getting more excited reading these reviews.

I think the greatest thing about U2 (and correct me if you think I'm wrong)is there ability to connect to their audience. I've seen them in Miami, LA, and Dublin. In each city, they make you feel like there is no better place in the world to be. Last tour; when they played the song New York (one of my least favorite songs) the place just exploded in Madison Square Garden. I saw them in Brooklyn for their free concert in Brooklyn and Bono spoke of how COBL was written about New York, and how that there is "no better place to be". In Miami, he spoke of the "flavor of the city" and how it was intoxicating.. and we all know what happens when they come home to Dublin!

The point is: wherever they go.. U2 is the greatest band in the world, because they make you FEEL that this concert is the greatest, your city is the greatest, and the people are the greatest. And I really don't think it's a bad thing. They just put so much heart and soul into each show, that there is no question that, for that one night, it truly is the show of their lives, and there is no other place to be than where you, and they, are!

Enjoy the tour! It WILL always be the show of our lives!

I totally agree -- when I saw them in LA a few days ago - it felt as if they were just as excited as we were. They sounded great and there were also tons of LA references... I agree with you so much!

Well the day started out great. I got to the line up at 6:30 and my friend and I were #48 and 49. Seemed like a great place to be. It almost guaranteed us a spot on the rail. Waited for what seemed like forever for the HP Pav. guys to come out with the wristbands. I ended up getting #14 in the non-fan club line. It actually worked out better that I wasn't in the fan club because I would have been #35 or so. After we got our wristbands we took off.

Side note - The line up at HP Pavilion was run incredibly well. They treated us well and made it a pleasant experience for everyone. Every other arena should call Ken (the director at HP Pav.) and take some notes.

We got back in line right at 5:00. I couldn't believe how close we were to the front of the line. It really put it all in perspective when we were all there. We got to go in at 6:15 and there was kind of an issue with the first set of doors. They didn't have them open when they first opened the gates so it just bottlenecked there. My friend and I got separated, and I got into the line with the person who had 19 bags with them (exaggeration of course) so I got held up. My buddy was about 8 people ahead of me when we were getting wristbands. He took off trying to get us a good spot on the floor. Well they scanned my ticket a second time and... JACKPOT! I'm in the ellipse. They asked me who I would like to have with me and I said well he already walked in. They told me to get him. I, of course, got yelled at for running into the arena b/c I was so excited. As I was going through the tunnel I wanted to yell and get my friend's attention so I didn't have to walk all the way up to the front. When I yelled I was expecting there to be quite a bit of noise in there, so I yelled out "Clower" at the top of my lungs only to find out the arena was completely silent. So my yell completely filled the cavernous arena, and most eyes were on me, so I just yelled "I got in!" My friend started running back (he got yelled at too) and we got our 2nd wristband for the evening. It was actually king of back up at the entrance of the ellipse so we had to wait a couple of minutes. We got inside and there were only a couple of people on the rail. We had our choice of where we wanted to go. I went went straight for the spot in front of Edge. As a guitar player I knew it was going to be a treat to be able to watch his fingers do their magic. From that point on, it was all smiles. I have to admit, I never thought I would be one of those people at the very, very front. I've been close, but I never thought I was going to be one of the "lucky" people that you see on the video right next to the main stage. I couldn't believe that I was actually there. While I was standing there early, I noticed a guitar pick laying on the floor in front of me. I called the security guy over and asked if I could have it. He picked it up and looked at it and I could tell he wanted it. I begged and begged and finally he gave it to me, but I had to promise that if I got another one it was going to him. So I got a used Edge pick. I found out he actually has two kinds of picks. There's the ones he uses in concert like the one I have (it's a nylon pick with grip on it and is quite flimsy), and then there are the ones that Dallas gives out that has Edge's signature embossed on it.

Kings of Leon was actually better than I expected. I found their album to be very forgettable, but the songs sounded much better live. My one complaint is that all their songs sounded very similar, but they were just straight up rock'n'roll with no gimmicks and I liked that.

U2 took the stage at about 9:00 and I loved the opening of LAPOE. I didn't really see how it was going to work, but it was pretty sweet. Having all 4 members spread out around us in the ellipse was very cool! 360 degrees of U2.

The songs all sounded great, but the new songs and The Boy songs really stood out. Those sounded incredible. I couldn't get over how good the new stuff sounded. I'm really not that big of a fan of HTDAAB, but those songs were amazing live. Streets without the red screen was different, but not as bad as I thought it would be. They even did some of the bright light stuff which I had heard they weren't doing. Highlights of the show for me were - Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Bullet the Blue Sky, and The Fly. All of those sounded unreal.

Bono's voice was spot on last night. I've never heard him sound that good since the Zoo TV era. His voice was there all night. He was actually hitting the chorus on Pride. Edge has his game on. He is sounded unbelievable right now. If you haven't heard Bullet the Blue Sky from the Vertigo tour yet, look out. The solo is amazing. Adam interacted with the crowd quite a bit and even walked around the ellipse a couple of times. Larry was like a metronome back there and seemed to be having fun and actually smiling a couple of times.

The crowd was kind of lame, even down on the floor. It didn't seem like anyone was into The Fly at all. I was going nuts as this is my favorite U2 song of all time and I was seeing Edge play it 5 feet from me, but no one else seemed that into it. The crowd loved the favorites, but seemed out of touch when U2 brought out some surprises out of the bag. It just seems funny to me that someone would spent $180 on a ticket if you didn't enjoy/know the entire collection of the band's songs. Oh well, being that close to U2 felt like I was in a club seeing them. It was like standing next to the stage at The Independent.

Overall, I think this show was one of the best I have seen from U2. They were on their game last night. Which just enhanced the experience I had from the front row. It was almost surreal to see them from that close. I can now die a happy person. :D

Amazing show. Crowd was pumped, band was on, really couldn't ask for more! LAPOE as an opener is hot! OOTS sounded fantastic and turned into the big sing-along that it should be. Bono was in a great mood and his voice sounded fantastic! Iris was amazing on stage and so humble and sweet afterwards - go girl!

Can't wait for the fall :drool:

I wasnt really happy with the way the Arena handled the GA ... it started out sounding great and being in good order... they have a good system set up with the wristbands but once they opened the gates, it was chaos. I was #7 in line and by the time I got onto the floor there were at least 75 people there ... they just didnt prepare enough. They had 2 old guys there trying to hold back the crowd and cut off wristbands. Not good.

anyway... that was my biggest complaint. :rant: :)

this is my generic show review ;)

KOL are horrible. I REALLY REALLY tried to keep an open mind but by the third song and my ears ringing, my mind closed. I wish I could have closed my ears.
As stated before... the sound in the Arena wasnt very good - everything sounded just a bit fcked up - too loud and just not clear.
Bono seemed to be in a bit of a dramatic mood ... a smidgen of MacPhisto showing through as the show opened with Love & Peace. He said something about how we should know about love & peace since we (Bay Area folks...) "started this shit" :) loved it! Vertigo, of course rocked. Elevation was very kewl - starting out just acoustic with the whole arena singin then kickin it into gear.
Then they started in with the Boy songs – Cry/Electro Co rocked immensely. A Cat Dubh was hot as hell with Bono doing his cat crawl and meowing… I nearly fainted I think, and was imagining he was looking right at me (a girls gotta dream right!??). He found a long slender hand in the Ellipse to carress and I think he licked her hand too… it was all very… umm… catty… but insanely kewl (I might get an award here for most usage of word kewl ..which really isn’t a word… umm that’s kewl)
Bono spent a lot of time out on the cat walk during these first few songs – which was great. Even when they were on the main stage though, I had a great view and didn’t feel very far from the stage even though I was on the outside of the Ellipse.
City, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, great trio of new songs. Bono seemed to be kewling off a bit from the dramatics… which I was a bit sad to see go but the show was going into a more somber mood. The snippet of The Hands That Built America made me almost like the one U2 song I don’t like. It fit perfect in BIBS and the tone was great. Bono looked a bit flustered that the crowd was caught up in “OH OH OH OHs” at the end of Pride when he wanted to direct us to an Africa chant…but he played it off well. One actually seemed a bit off… don’t know exactly why but it just wasn’t clickin for me.
Original of the Species was played and I was very emotional during this song (it’s the mom in me I guess). It’s one of my favorites on the album and to hear it live, when I didn’t expect it, was amazing. Thank you U2 for playing this song!!
The encore was great with The Fly (although I was looking forward to Zoo Station). Iris was rocking with the belly dancing – she worked it perfectly! Lucky girl!!!
The end of the show was a bit heavy handed for me – being a heathen, I don’t feel the connection with Yahweh… or 40 much…but Larry…. Larry got me into it. Larry was amazing all show --- even taking the prodding from Bono to sing with a smile.
Oddball bits: I forget was song, but Adam walked around the outside of the Ellipse and I waved at him – he looked like he acknowledged it, but it probably was my imagination. Bono put on some lipstick, and made a comment about it being the Bay Area. Very cute.

shooboxx said:
I wasnt really happy with the way the Arena handled the GA ... it started out sounding great and being in good order... they have a good system set up with the wristbands but once they opened the gates, it was chaos. I was #7 in line and by the time I got onto the floor there were at least 75 people there ... they just didnt prepare enough. They had 2 old guys there trying to hold back the crowd and cut off wristbands. Not good.

anyway... that was my biggest complaint. :rant: :)

this is my generic show review ;)

KOL are horrible. I REALLY REALLY tried to keep an open mind but by the third song and my ears ringing, my mind closed. I wish I could have closed my ears.
As stated before... the sound in the Arena wasnt very good - everything sounded just a bit fcked up - too loud and just not clear.
Bono seemed to be in a bit of a dramatic mood ... a smidgen of MacPhisto showing through as the show opened with Love & Peace. He said something about how we should know about love & peace since we (Bay Area folks...) "started this shit" :) loved it! Vertigo, of course rocked. Elevation was very kewl - starting out just acoustic with the whole arena singin then kickin it into gear.
Then they started in with the Boy songs – Cry/Electro Co rocked immensely. A Cat Dubh was hot as hell with Bono doing his cat crawl and meowing… I nearly fainted I think, and was imagining he was looking right at me (a girls gotta dream right!??). He found a long slender hand in the Ellipse to carress and I think he licked her hand too… it was all very… umm… catty… but insanely kewl (I might get an award here for most usage of word kewl ..which really isn’t a word… umm that’s kewl)
Bono spent a lot of time out on the cat walk during these first few songs – which was great. Even when they were on the main stage though, I had a great view and didn’t feel very far from the stage even though I was on the outside of the Ellipse.
City, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, great trio of new songs. Bono seemed to be kewling off a bit from the dramatics… which I was a bit sad to see go but the show was going into a more somber mood. The snippet of The Hands That Built America made me almost like the one U2 song I don’t like. It fit perfect in BIBS and the tone was great. Bono looked a bit flustered that the crowd was caught up in “OH OH OH OHs” at the end of Pride when he wanted to direct us to an Africa chant…but he played it off well. One actually seemed a bit off… don’t know exactly why but it just wasn’t clickin for me.
Original of the Species was played and I was very emotional during this song (it’s the mom in me I guess). It’s one of my favorites on the album and to hear it live, when I didn’t expect it, was amazing. Thank you U2 for playing this song!!
The encore was great with The Fly (although I was looking forward to Zoo Station). Iris was rocking with the belly dancing – she worked it perfectly! Lucky girl!!!
The end of the show was a bit heavy handed for me – being a heathen, I don’t feel the connection with Yahweh… or 40 much…but Larry…. Larry got me into it. Larry was amazing all show --- even taking the prodding from Bono to sing with a smile.
Oddball bits: I forget was song, but Adam walked around the outside of the Ellipse and I waved at him – he looked like he acknowledged it, but it probably was my imagination. Bono put on some lipstick, and made a comment about it being the Bay Area. Very cute.

Shoobox - The GA process did not work out so well on night 2 but Saturday was super-smooth with none of Sunday's problems (at least from my experience). Oddball fact: that was my lipstick (which I've since retired from rotation)!

Great work bret6262! Enjoyed putting video to the descriptive reviews of the show (ie 'Iris').

Also, just so you know, Bono did a similar lipstick thang at the LA 2 show. Probably only the people in the ellipse and on/near the rail caught it (unless it was on the video screens). Very cool!

I thought the show was just BRILLANT.Bono playing the drum was funny during LPoE.:cool:I hope this energy comes back when they do in November.:rockon:

Great show. First time behind the stage. Was actually closer to the stage than the usual nose bleed seats I get. Definetly can't wait till Nov. Trying to figure out a way to see them sooner.

THANK YOU BRET6262..... Great video clips, I urge everyone to take a look at them. I really like the MW one, and YES she was an excellent dancer. thanks again for sharing!

Thanx.. the shows just seem to be picking up steam and they are most likely going to get better and better. I can't wait to see them next month, but I am anxious to hear them after the European leg. Remember Zoo TV? Or the Elevation tour? They left the states and came back with a vengeance. Their concerts are like fine wine... just keeps getting better with age. What's the cahnces of getting them to tour forever? Just kidding:lol: We all need to hear a new album, and have them "Dream it up, all over again" This is only the tip of the iceberg... it's just gonna keep getting better and better!

Saw both shows............performances were perfect, so there's not really anything to nitpick. Just an AMAZING amazing tour. :wink:

indeed hot stuff

OffAxis said:
Well the day started out great. I got to the line up at 6:30 and my friend and I were #48 and 49. Seemed like a great place to be. It almost guaranteed us a spot on the rail. Waited for what seemed like forever for the HP Pav. guys to come out with the wristbands. I ended up getting #14 in the non-fan club line. It actually worked out better that I wasn't in the fan club because I would have been #35 or so. After we got our wristbands we took off.

Side note - The line up at HP Pavilion was run incredibly well. They treated us well and made it a pleasant experience for everyone. Every other arena should call Ken (the director at HP Pav.) and take some notes.

We got back in line right at 5:00. I couldn't believe how close we were to the front of the line. It really put it all in perspective when we were all there. We got to go in at 6:15 and there was kind of an issue with the first set of doors. They didn't have them open when they first opened the gates so it just bottlenecked there. My friend and I got separated, and I got into the line with the person who had 19 bags with them (exaggeration of course) so I got held up. My buddy was about 8 people ahead of me when we were getting wristbands. He took off trying to get us a good spot on the floor. Well they scanned my ticket a second time and... JACKPOT! I'm in the ellipse. They asked me who I would like to have with me and I said well he already walked in. They told me to get him. I, of course, got yelled at for running into the arena b/c I was so excited. As I was going through the tunnel I wanted to yell and get my friend's attention so I didn't have to walk all the way up to the front. When I yelled I was expecting there to be quite a bit of noise in there, so I yelled out "Clower" at the top of my lungs only to find out the arena was completely silent. So my yell completely filled the cavernous arena, and most eyes were on me, so I just yelled "I got in!" My friend started running back (he got yelled at too) and we got our 2nd wristband for the evening. It was actually king of back up at the entrance of the ellipse so we had to wait a couple of minutes. We got inside and there were only a couple of people on the rail. We had our choice of where we wanted to go. I went went straight for the spot in front of Edge. As a guitar player I knew it was going to be a treat to be able to watch his fingers do their magic. From that point on, it was all smiles. I have to admit, I never thought I would be one of those people at the very, very front. I've been close, but I never thought I was going to be one of the "lucky" people that you see on the video right next to the main stage. I couldn't believe that I was actually there. While I was standing there early, I noticed a guitar pick laying on the floor in front of me. I called the security guy over and asked if I could have it. He picked it up and looked at it and I could tell he wanted it. I begged and begged and finally he gave it to me, but I had to promise that if I got another one it was going to him. So I got a used Edge pick. I found out he actually has two kinds of picks. There's the ones he uses in concert like the one I have (it's a nylon pick with grip on it and is quite flimsy), and then there are the ones that Dallas gives out that has Edge's signature embossed on it.

Kings of Leon was actually better than I expected. I found their album to be very forgettable, but the songs sounded much better live. My one complaint is that all their songs sounded very similar, but they were just straight up rock'n'roll with no gimmicks and I liked that.

U2 took the stage at about 9:00 and I loved the opening of LAPOE. I didn't really see how it was going to work, but it was pretty sweet. Having all 4 members spread out around us in the ellipse was very cool! 360 degrees of U2.

The songs all sounded great, but the new songs and The Boy songs really stood out. Those sounded incredible. I couldn't get over how good the new stuff sounded. I'm really not that big of a fan of HTDAAB, but those songs were amazing live. Streets without the red screen was different, but not as bad as I thought it would be. They even did some of the bright light stuff which I had heard they weren't doing. Highlights of the show for me were - Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Bullet the Blue Sky, and The Fly. All of those sounded unreal.

Bono's voice was spot on last night. I've never heard him sound that good since the Zoo TV era. His voice was there all night. He was actually hitting the chorus on Pride. Edge has his game on. He is sounded unbelievable right now. If you haven't heard Bullet the Blue Sky from the Vertigo tour yet, look out. The solo is amazing. Adam interacted with the crowd quite a bit and even walked around the ellipse a couple of times. Larry was like a metronome back there and seemed to be having fun and actually smiling a couple of times.

The crowd was kind of lame, even down on the floor. It didn't seem like anyone was into The Fly at all. I was going nuts as this is my favorite U2 song of all time and I was seeing Edge play it 5 feet from me, but no one else seemed that into it. The crowd loved the favorites, but seemed out of touch when U2 brought out some surprises out of the bag. It just seems funny to me that someone would spent $180 on a ticket if you didn't enjoy/know the entire collection of the band's songs. Oh well, being that close to U2 felt like I was in a club seeing them. It was like standing next to the stage at The Independent.

Overall, I think this show was one of the best I have seen from U2. They were on their game last night. Which just enhanced the experience I had from the front row. It was almost surreal to see them from that close. I can now die a happy person. :D

I must have been behind you...I thought the Fly was killer and the bluesy solo on Bullet was tasty....

San Jose ellipse and pix

Email me if you want the link to some great photos..

mdmack@sbcglobal.net

We had our tickets since the onsale and our friend scored a GA in Santa Cruz at ticketmaster day of show. It was her ticket that got the three of us into the ellipse!!! What a surreal feeling walking down into the club like atmosphere of the 300+ ellipse. Not too crowded, great sound for being right up front, and I even got to witness Lars from Metallica air drumming to bullet right behind us!!! Classic...

Awesome....10 feet from the Edge...The band blew me away, just as they did 20 years ago on the UFF tour. It is amazing that we paid 49.00 for our tickets and they were the best ones in the house!!

Set was cool, but I wish they dropped a few....Mysterious ways etc...added a few....end of the world, crumbs, lemon..... Also, I must say I dig the new album, but original of the species is a tad weak in my opinion...

My head almost melted when Edge hit the high solo part in Miracle Drug....Bullet solo was very bluesy, nice variation...Beautiful Day had me jumping so high I almost broke my ankle! AHHH the joys of a U2 show....

Great time, great friends, and great band!!!

SJ Nite 2...

I am not sure if this has been discussed but from our vantage point immediately behind the drums, we could see the setlists. OOTS was not there originally from what I could see (I took photos of it and tried to enlarge it but you cant see the words closely-but still the shapes). Just prior to the start of OOTS, the band members had quick conversation w/each other. A crew member directly below us behind the stage crossed out 2 songs and added something- OOTS?

Also- my Bono spotting on Monday was- I had a reliable tip that he was leaving for lunch in SF. Further- I knew that he and the Edge had stayed behind while the others flew after the show. I drove downtown SJ and seconds after parking, I saw Bono in his SUV out front (of his hotel). There were 3 other fans standing in the area, all keeping our distance. John (Bono's guard) told us that since it was his "day off" Bono wouldn't sign right now. We watched Bono and company drive off northbound. It was a 1 minute investment, and I was headed back home. Unlike Sunday- waiting 4 hrs behind the Arena w/o luck...(although we saw them come in which is better than nothing- right?

Re: San Jose ellipse and pix

mdmack said:
I even got to witness Lars from Metallica air drumming to bullet right behind us!!! Classic...

That's funny, I didn't see Lars at the show, but I saw him back at my hotel after! He was meeting with the KOL and I believe the Edge was there too! Never got near where they all were, but we did meet the bass player from KOL.

Bummer...can't get to these either. Do you need to replace the "..." after the i"?d="?

tkramer said:
The clips aren't working for me, says it can't find the server. What am I supposed to be filling in between the dots?

Re: Re: San Jose ellipse and pix

Was that at the Fairmont? I was staying there and hung around the Pagoda restaurant after the first show and saw all the band. Within about 15 feet of them. Actually got to talk to Adam Clayton. He's cool. Would have asked for a picture but the security guy, murph, was a jackass.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

That's funny, I didn't see Lars at the show, but I saw him back at my hotel after! He was meeting with the KOL and I believe the Edge was there too! Never got near where they all were, but we did meet the bass player from KOL.

Re: SJ Nite 2...

bret6262 said:
I am not sure if this has been discussed but from our vantage point immediately behind the drums, we could see the setlists. OOTS was not there originally from what I could see (I took photos of it and tried to enlarge it but you cant see the words closely-but still the shapes). Just prior to the start of OOTS, the band members had quick conversation w/each other. A crew member directly below us behind the stage crossed out 2 songs and added something- OOTS?

The were originally going to play OOTS after Mysterious Ways, but they moved it behind One. Then took out Zoo Station :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I go to the one damn show on the first leg where they don't play it. :mad: :mad: :mad: But it was a pretty sick concert so I'm not too upset about it :D

Re: Re: SJ Nite 2...

OffAxis said:

The were originally going to play OOTS after Mysterious Ways, but they moved it behind One. Then took out Zoo Station

http://www.u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=20050410

This still confuses me........I was at the show and I could've sworn that they played it after "Mysterious Ways" actually......I remember seeing them shockingly start with "The Fly" and thinking "Acrobat" would come after "MW" because there had been rehearsal rumors.......but it ended up being "OOTS"......U2.com lists "OOTS" after "MW" just like I remember seeing it.....but U2tours says otherwise...hmmm....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom