April 1, Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it's been over for less than an hour. I have very mixed emotions about the show.

On one hand, if I were programming the U2 jukebox, almost everything I would've wanted got played. RTSS, Streets, Elevation, Still Haven't Found, The Fly, Zoo Station, Love and Peace, Mysterious Ways, etc... it was one thrilling opening chord after another.

On another, the show seemed... sterile.

To best describe it, something can be "new" without being inventive. For example, "new" reality TV shows are launched all the time which are basically re-conceived versions of something else. The Vertigo tour is very much a "greatest hits presentation," not so much as a result of the songs played, but of the staging. "The Fly" is a snapshot of Zooropa, the LED curtains evoke PopMart, and then there's that heart that kinda doesn't look like a heart anymore.

Bottom line: when I patronize the arts, I expect creativity. I saw very little creativity tonight.

r

instantregan said:
Well, it's been over for less than an hour. I have very mixed emotions about the show.

On one hand, if I were programming the U2 jukebox, almost everything I would've wanted got played. RTSS, Streets, Elevation, Still Haven't Found, The Fly, Zoo Station, Love and Peace, Mysterious Ways, etc... it was one thrilling opening chord after another.

On another, the show seemed... sterile.

To best describe it, something can be "new" without being inventive. For example, "new" reality TV shows are launched all the time which are basically re-conceived versions of something else. The Vertigo tour is very much a "greatest hits presentation," not so much as a result of the songs played, but of the staging. "The Fly" is a snapshot of Zooropa, the LED curtains evoke PopMart, and then there's that heart that kinda doesn't look like a heart anymore.

Bottom line: when I patronize the arts, I expect creativity. I saw very little creativity tonight.

r

Another one of those "I want to see the SHOW" guys...
He didn't say one thing about the performance and the music...

djerdap said:

Another one of those "I want to see the SHOW" guys...
He didn't say one thing about the performance and the music...

You know what? You're absolutely right.

If I want to hear the best music, I'll buy the best CD on the market (U2 or otherwise) for $12.99.

If I want to see the best performance, I'll go to SXSW and pay a modest sum to see an unsigned band play their hearts out for the chance to perceived as being at the top of their game and possibly get a record contract (and more.)

If I've paid $100 to be a part of an audience of 17,000 in seats where I can't make out facial expressions...

yes, I expect good music.

yes, I expect a good performance.

yes, I expect an AMAZING SHOW.

r

the show was AMAZING! after following and downloading bootlegs of the first 2 shows, i really thought i knew what was coming, but when they opened with LaPoE i was like WOW! the spotlights, the guys setting up, oh man. the entire setlist was changed, they played Still Haven't Found AND Mysterious Ways, it was very very good. i was dissapointed in not getting Electric Co., but Mysterious Ways was a great surprise.

The stage-show itself was unbelieveable. The lights on the floor were just incredible, and the LED Curtains were very cool. The visuals were spectacular.

It was my first real concert, and a u2 concert at that, and i was blown away by how well they perform live. I know that U2 are the kings of the stage, but this concert was really something else. It's great singing along with thousands of fans and really feeling like you're a part of the show, too.

Hi instantregan,

Thx for taking the time to post your thoughts on the show, they are all welcome. I think there a few people who are let down by the production design, I guess we expected something more unique.

If you have the time, could you comment on U2's performance:

- How was Bono's vocals tonight?
- Did he remember the words?
- Was it a good choice for that setlist order?
- How was the crowds response to the show?
- Any highlights of the show, performances or speeches etc?
- Have you been to other U2 shows, and how would you rate this one.

or anything else you would like to share with us.

Hope this is not too much to ask.

Thx
Sken

I really enjoyed the show. I was floored when the guys came out with the spotlights and opened with LAPOE, excellent opener and I hope it stays there. It was defenitly wierd seeing SBS and Bullett so early, but all in all, a good setlist.

Highlights for me:

--LAPOE, enuf said
--Mysterious ways and ISHFWILF (full band version)
--Sometimes (Bono waving goodbye while the spotlight fades :(
--Zoo Station: I love this song and I hope it stays on the list, and Bono did the nazi soldier march like on Zoo Sydney, it was soo cool.
--The Fly: Edges solo throughout the song rocked
--ABOY: Pleasantly suprised, good rockin tune
-
Other notes:
--When Bono did sing, it was awesome, but I did notice Edge doing alot more vocal work than last tour. Edge does an awesome job on vocals and it is nice seeing Larry get some spotlight (at the tip during LAPOE, singing during Elevation, last to leave on 40)

I think this is the first tour where cell phone screens replaced lighters during slow songs, should of seen the blue box screens all around the arena during ONE and at the end of the show

--Wierd ending, after 40, the lights remained off for at least 5 minutes, the crowd was going nuts like they were expecting the band to come out, then the lights came on and some of the fans were booing :( I think it was because there wasnt really a long break in the show tonight, just a small one after One and the fans thought their was an encore after 40 :/

Last edited:
i really, really, thought that the band would come out again after 40 (ala Elevation Torino). the stage and setup were just flat out amazing, especially for Miracle Drug, Vertigo, COBL, Streets, Mysterious Ways, Bullet, LaPoE. . . i could list every song!

Well I got a ticket! They were still available at 8:30 from the ticket office. I don’t know if it’s because the room is so much larger than SD but there seemed to be a lack of energy - Especially in the back. I looked around a few times in SD and the place was rocking both nights. Not the same tonight. Love & Peace did not have the same opening impact as COBL with the tons of confetti and curtain of lights. In fact by the time they did play it, it was missing something. Instead of the blasts, perfectly timed so far, they just sent a trickle of it down from the rafters during the intro. The entire 'Boy Set' was dropped. Streets seemed to be played too early. Bono bought on a very cool 'Mrs. Machpisto' during the Zoo set. She almost stole the show. Overall they played well but there were a few technical difficulties. U2 10/10 – Always – The audience 7/10.

Last edited:
All I am saying is this...I go to several shows of various sizes each week, varying from bands like Interpol, Futureheads, The Cure, The Hives...all amazing live bands and at the top of their respective games...but I haven't been moved like tonight since I cannot remember when. The band sounded great barring a few glitches with sound, but Bono sang great, Edge tore it up and the rhythm section was spot on to these ears. I had great seats and seeing the entire stage set with its brilliant lighting and being able to see the band clearly gave me a great vantage point. I couldn't have asked for a more magical night. I hope that every show is this special for everyone that attends.

This is my first show of the tour. Got in the GA line at noon, watched all the U2.com members speed ahead of me, and then I ended up getting into the Ellipse. Which was completely unexepected and otherworldly.

I honestly don't know how the show was on the whole. When you're in the Ellipse, I think you feel disconnected from the rest of the audience (I know, poor me). I was 2 people back, right in front of Bono, and the audio was awful -- the worst I've ever heard at a U2 show -- but I'm sure that it was only because of how close I was. There weren't any real speakers pointed at us. We couldn't hear Bono for most of the show and Edge's guitar seemed out of tune. Again, this is only because of where we were.

With all that said, it was amazing being that close for a concert. My wife commented that she always has to watch screens in concerts to see the faces. Instead of that, we were making eye contact with the band for most of the show.

I can understand why people could have issues with the production design, the setlist, etc., but I have to say that Bono gave everything he had that night. It was written on his face. It was something I'll remember the rest of my life.

what the fuck! edge was insane tonigh! larry was amazing and same goes for adam!!!!!!!!!

bano did a great job!!!!!!!

great show!!!!!!!!!!!!

the guitars were fucking LOUD just how i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaun vox said:
what the fuck! edge was insane tonigh! larry was amazing and same goes for adam!!!!!!!!!

bano did a great job!!!!!!!

great show!!!!!!!!!!!!

the guitars were fucking LOUD just how i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you liked it Shaun. How about the HTDAAB songs? You are always bitching about them:wink:

Sounds like a great show.... but they left off Yahweh? The acoustic version has been one of the highlights of the first 2 shows... simply beautiful. But, hey....that's what is going 2 happen when we demand diversity in the setlists...sometimes we'll have 2 miss out on some tracks, and that's ok.

Yahweh

Actually, they did do Yahweh last night. It was next to last song, just like San Diego. I agree, the acoustic version is great!!

My thoughts (see sig for disclaimer):

* Yahweh, while a trite pop song on the album, was magical in its acoustic version. Even with the idiot screaming "Thank you Jesus" all the way through it. :rolleyes:

* COBL did not work at all last night. The slow verses sapped the chorus of its energy.

* The rockers tore the place down, though. Vertigo lifted the roof of the damn place, and ABOY was fucking awesome.

* The new Streets is...good. I loved Elevation Streets, but I think I like the new, more thoughtful one too. I'll have to think about it. It's definitely their Born To Run.

* I didn't realize how much I missed WOWY until this morning.

* I like Larry's new visibility; it's good to see him moving around and getting invloved in the show more than a drummer usually can.

* Overall, I think the band is better than they've ever been. Once they get into the new shows, they'll take off.

* I like the set-list changes for each night. It should keep them fresh.

* PLEBA warning: Bono looks hot with a blindfold. :drool:

Last edited:
Sken said:

- How was Bono's vocals tonight?
- Did he remember the words?
- Was it a good choice for that setlist order?
- How was the crowds response to the show?
- Any highlights of the show, performances or speeches etc?
- Have you been to other U2 shows, and how would you rate this one.

Good questions:

Bono sounded great, he didn't seem to be holding back at all (especially when they got to Elevation.) If he messed up any lines I certainly didn't notice.

Interesting moment during SBS when Edge's guitar gave out completely -- I don't know what happened. but as his tech rushed out with a replacement Bono was ad-libbing lyrics -- "Edge is on top of things, got no problem at all..." (or something like that.)

Although I think the songs they chose were great, the order was awkward and will almost certainly be tweaked. COBL didn't seem to be particularly strong as an opener, and the transitions into Streets and Bullet seemed flacid (especially considering how powerful these songs have been in the past.)

Is anybody else disappointed by the treatment of Bullet on this tour? I figure that with the way the US has handled and is handling the Iraq situation (and with the way that U2 was opposed to the invasion) that it would be a particularly prime opportunity to make a statement. They seem to have copped out, even mixing in bits of "Hands" to try to make the thing patriotic somehow. Also, Bono's performance of the song in the past has typically been very involved -- sometimes theatrical, sometimes emotional, etc. Last night it seemed like just another song in the set that they had to play.

FYI, that was my eighth U2 concert -- I saw PopMart four times and Elevation three.

I'm glad they played SBS because it gave me a chance to run out and grab a couple of beers...

Bono should talk about the text messaging thing at the end of One instead of before. Throughout the first third of the song most of the audience is more fixated on their phone than on the show. Imagine what happens to the local cell towers when 17,000 people try to send a text message simultaneously.

I thought it was awesome that Bono pulled the girl up during WOWY, and she did an awesome job, even though you could only see her in silhouette. Bono had 2 (maybe three) spotlights on him but the production seemed unwilling to donate one to her. Bono had pulled her out from the front of the stage, and towards the end of the song he walked her back around along the elipse and you could tell he was trying to figure out how to "drop her off." Ironically, one of the crew was walking along with him on the outside side of the elipse and was reaching out to do just that, but I'm assuming he didn't notice.

So the song finishes while they're still walking up to the front, and Bono says something along the lines of "I got myself into a bit of a bind here -- Edge, you might as well start the next song." One of the crew comes up from the stairs at stage right to get her and sort of grabs her arm, but she's completely (and understandably) Bono-focused and doesn't pay attention.

Amazingly, Bono takes her to Larry's drum riser and says "You can sit here." That's what seemed to happen, but at the beginning of COBL the lights went down and when they came back up she was gone.

I LOVED the way Bono was saying "everyone" at the start of the show. Most of the time he wasn't yelling it; in fact, at first I'm certain that 90% of the audience didn't realize it was live or that it was him. He was sort of alternating how he'd say it; sometimes it sounded like he was talking to a puppy. I dunno why, but it reminded me of something that Johnny Depp might do.

I don't think anybody else has mentioned this, and from the descriptions of the San Diego shows I'm not sure it's happened before: the band took the stage by circling the elipse, one at a time. Lights were off and they all had spotlights in their hands (like the one Bono had during Bullet on the Elevation tour.)

It was a nice idea, but it took a long time and the enthusiasm sort of seemed to die out before they finally were all set to launch into LaPoE.

Okay bye.

r

It was perfect and wonderful. I'm always surprised at the nitpicking, but I see it on other artist's fan sites as well. It's a personality thing of the people posting. Some people live that way, others of us just enjoy the moment, and U2 gave all of us fans last nite wonderful moments. I loved the enthusiasm of the crowd as well.

Well, I just wanted to say that it was soooo great to see U2 return to socal and give such a strong show, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great show!!!. I actually didn't have tix until the night before a friend called because someone stood him up on eBay, so that seriously worked out for me!

I thought the setlist was really very stong and opening up with LaPoE was excellent - Larry out there at the beginning was great. I liked how they journeyed through much of their older and classic material more toward the first part of the show, for me it worked quite well.

I have to say that Edge just freaking rocks. The way he was playing during Bullet toward the end of that song was lights out, it was incredible. I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves for being an absolutely great guitarist, he is without any doubt one of the best and brings such a unique sound.

I did like the guitars being loud, they definitely were, but I had trouble hearing Bono much of the time being up towards the top (so yeah, the seats weren't great - I was in row Q). Actually, I thought maybe his voice was giving out but it didn't seem that way at all in the songs where I could really hear him like Yahweh so I think the sound was just bad where I was and I read a few others talking about sound glitches so that was probably another factor.

I've read about the extended encore, but it really was much more like two sets. I had the sense that somewhere toward the end they weren't going to come out for an official encore which was fine with me, but they left the lights off for what seemed like 10 minutes and then they finally flipped them on. So that was kind of a drag, if they hadn't kept it dark for so long you wouldn't have been thinking there was going to be a little more....you almost wondered, were they going to come out and then decided against it or ? But I always want more when it comes to U2. And I really liked the ending of Yahweh followed by '40'.

I didn't know that was Bono saying 'everyone' at the beginning of the show until I read it here, it was cool though. Thanks for that info.

I liked the ellipse better than the heart from Elevation and the lights they had going around the thing and within the stage were extremely cool, especially during Miracle Drug and Vertigo. I thought Vertigo was done really well and I liked it much better live.

Mysterious ways was memorable to say the least and great to hear. The Macphisto gal appeared to be doing some serious dancing at the end of that song as Edge went off, but as someone said all the spotlights were on Bono only.

I really enjoyed the second set starting with Zoo Station and then the Fly. Fly was superb and again Edge was just insane, but the only downer is seemed like half the crowd had no clue what that song was - but the boys seriously rocked on that song.

Running to Stand Still was a great surprise and I think done really very well. Flashed me immediately back to Joshua Tree tour, what a great song and that part of the set might just have been my favorite - though it was all good.

Only real negative was this lady next to me who was loud and talking through much of the show. She actually seemed to know her U2, but just couldn't shut it off. I thought COBL was ok at best and I'm very glad they didn't open with it. I missed not hearing WOWY and was also expecting to hear All That You Can't Leave Behind. I don't think I've seen that listed yet in setlists so far which is suprising to me because I think it is such a great song and they do it great live. Interested to see if that comes out at all in the upcoming shows.

Alright, I think I've rambled long enough. It was a great show and if you are going tonight or in the future, I expect its going to get even better!

i loved how they opened with LAPOE. it definitely got the crowd going and started the show with a bang. each member came out and walked around the ellipse carrying a flashlight. much more impressive than COBL.

i was surprised they changed the order of the setlist, and omitted/included some songs. in SD1, it was cool that they played a lot of their much older songs, but for Anaheim 1 it was a pleasant surprise they played Mysterious Ways and ISHFWILF.

and about that one devil goth chick that got on the stage with bono during Mysterious Ways...that was hot! i gotta give her credit for doing that dance on the spot.

i really loved The Fly but it didn't seem like the crowd was into it. i've noticed that whenever they play The Fly, people just seem to stand there and not get into it....what a pity because it's such a great song and i thought Edge's solo was awesome.

for Elevation, they started off with Edge's guitar only, and the crowd starting singing "woo hoo" before Bono started singing, and then it was just Bono and the audience and Edge's guitar singing together before the whole band came in to the song. Best sing-along of the evening.

I was standing on the outside of the ellipse, one person behind the rail, center right. i definitely think that when bono comes out to the walkway he's very charismatic and playful and it was entertaining to see that. the crowd was very well behaved except for one brawl that occurred on the floor outside the ellipse, on the left side, before the show began. i thought this audience was not as into the show as the audience in san diego 1. and it was rather unfortunate that after the band ended with 40, people were screaming for an encore and when it didn't happen some fans booed.

the anaheim show seemed much more "organized" and rehearsed than the SD show...it seems like after opening with COBL in the first two shows they changed the opener to LAPOE, so it seems like the band is still experimenting with their setlist and presentation. all i can say is that they're unpredictable so for those of you attending multiple shows you'll probably get something different each night.

Was at SD openner. Found out after the fact for the random deal for the inner elipse wristbands.

Was curious for those posting here that got into that area. Was there a special area/station to scan the tickets? Did it come up when the reg. attendant scanned the ticket for admission?

The group of us coming in. There was no direction to get scanned" for the inner elipse or anything. But what else is new. Guess since we didn't have 38 Double D's they didn't bother to tell us?

As well there was nothing for u2.com members v. non-members.

Curious on how we appeared to miss out on this.

;)

Hello y'all. My first post here. Here is a complete review.

The Line For Tickets

I arrived ticketless at 11am. There were already 75 people in line. The tickets went on sale at 3:15pm, by which time the line was at 125.

As far as I know, everyone got tickets. You had a choice of buying GAs or seats. The seats alternated between incredible to so-so at random. Your odds of getting excellent seats was just as good at #150 as #1. Scalpers were selling great seats for $250/per by 7:30pm.

I got a great great seat just in front of the stage on the risers about 10 rows up. I sat next to the guy who played Kevin from The Wonder Years.

The View, Sound

The "inner circle" is without a doubt excellent for view, but awful for sound. There are no speakers aiming there at all. The best sound is to the exact side and just in front of the stage at the lower level.

The view is great from the side and front in the lower two levels. From the back you get a partially blocked view when the screens or light displays drop down, which happens about every third song. Avoid behind the stage if possible.

The Show

My first show since "Pop" and much improved, although shorter. Why the short shows? New ordinances across the country are fining bands that go beyond 11pm. This show ended at 10:59. The opening band comes out at 7:30 and U2 between 9pm-9:15.

The acoustic "Yawheh" is great, as is "Miracle Drug." The crowd explodes at the Joshua Tree and earlier songs, as expected. The loudest part was the crowd during "Elevation." Wow!

Bono's voice was good but sometimes he does not sing straight into the mic, which probably causes headaches for those in th e rafters. The Edge was incredible as usual. Bono is a little overweight...for him.

Tiffany, a woman who dressed like the devil, was brought on stage for the whole of "Mysterious Ways" and brought the house down. No one else was brought on stage. Bono did less of the "christ" poses than usual.

The crowd was so-so, par for the course in Anaheim, but did know when to sing at the right moments.

I may try for tickets tonight again.

U2 can get short-changed

Hey All,

This is my first time posting here - but I am a kind of "old timer" U2 fan (I saw them several times during the War through Joshua Tree stint). I hadn't seen them since - until tonight (other than on videos - etc).

My main issue about the Anaheim gig involves the ending. I've read some ideas about what people think about it (here and elsewhere) - but my take is that after playing "40" (one of my all time fav's btw) - I can't help but see that the band was intending on playing an actual "encore(s)" - but for some reason didn't.

I can't help but think that they might've been a bit disappointed with the crowd response.

Maybe someone could comment on the San Diego shows (where I drove from btw - my home - to Anaheim to see this). In this (Anaheim) show the cheering remained fairly strong (though not "fervant" - I guess - compared to some early years concerts I remember) - and one thing that was VERY noticable (to me) was that people didn't continue singing the "How Long..." bit. I was trying "solo" to get people to sing it - thinking it would bring them (U2) back out but (lol) - what's one person going to do? (lol). For whatever reason, they didn't come back out for an actual "encore" and there were many people (including myself, somewhat) who were kind've miffed about it (lol - I know... get a life - lol).

Having to go through "middle-men" to get tickets (I bought four - and brought my daughter and her friend - both 16 - to their very first U2 show) well... it was expensive for us (not even to mention the bloody 40 BUCKS I got gouged with just to park) - and so... I felt at least a wee bit slighted (lol).

Now that I read others reviews of "Boy sets" (etc) being played
at the other shows - sheesh... I feel even more slighted (did I miss "An Cat Dubh" (?). It seems pretty obvious to me (with the lights remaining low for quite some time) that there was supposed to be some kind of encore. If something happened like technical difficulties (or a band member being ill - my wife's theory) well... all is forgotten.

I just really hope it wasn't a... "this crowd doesn't deserve for us to come back out" thing.

The overall set list, performance (etc) was good (in some ways "great") to me up till that point. Liking the "old school" songs and concerts the most - I'm not a huge fan of the elaborate lighting effects (they were - at times - a bit distracting to me) - but overall I was ok with it. Musically/vocally, I thought the performance was strong. Edge had to swap guitars for some reason in the middle of "Sunday" but Bono made a crack about it and it added to the experience (imo).

I was, however, thinking to myself (sheesh! - they're sure playing a lot of "crowd-pleasing staples" (etc) very EARLY in the show
(Sunday, Looking For, and especially: Pride, Streets, etc). I kind've have the take that the set list being shuffled from the way it was in San Diego prompted the crowd to experience a bit of a let-down about 3 / 4's of the way through the show. For me, a song like "The Fly" is an ok song choice - but even with the monster light (etc) effects going on - it's hard for me to remain at peak excitement about it after having already heard some of the classics that preceded it (The crowd in general seemed to reflect this - from my vantage point). If the "Zoo" set had been swapped
with the others mentioned above - I think the crowd response would've been "building" throughout the course of the show instead of (seemingly, to me) diminishing a bit.

Even still... (even still... don't misunderstand) unpredictability is fine (can be even very good - I'd be happy to hear only the October album - lol) - but for the fact that it just didn't seem to me (and to a lot sitting around me) like they FINISHED the show they were intending to play. I realize "encores" are kind've "obligatory" (silly) these days... but to be unfortunate enough to attend a show (the ONLY one of ANY band I've seen...) where they really WERE judging whether they "should come back out" by the crowds response/lack thereof - well... it's disheartening (lol). I'm sure my wife and I were as fired up as anyone at the San Diego concerts (particularly for people our age - lol - we were on our feet for the whole show - and clapping and singing every song) - why should we get short-changed?
Even after the lights were up and most were heading out... I was STILL cheering and singing "How LONG.... etc" (and some other guy somewhere in the building was doing a kind've "echo" with me - lol - Was that one of you, per chance? - lol)

ME: "HOW LONG... TO SING THIS..."

(him: "how long... to sing this...")

lol
- an usher in our section got a real kick out of it).

Anyway, those are my takes.

I'd be interested to hear more of people's understanding of
what really happened at the end of the show (even as compared to the San Diego shows).

For now, I'll either go write my congressman... or maybe kill myself (lol - j/k)

-rev

:( :(

I think the fact that the lights stayed out was probably a glitch or a missed cue somewhere. The band finished with 40 at the previous two shows, I'm sure Anaheim 1 was not going to be any different. I bet someone got yelled at!

11pm cerfew, thats why it ended when it did, and i wouldnt say you got short changed, the show was about the same length as the 2 san diego shows,

American Audiences imo seem very hard to please, and if they dont get what they want they then boo?

Back
Top Bottom