25th October Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Folks - What an amazing show! The crowd was on fire and Bono commented that he didn’t think Monday’s crowd could be topped. The boys from Dublin were in top form last night and in keeping tradition with their Detroit surprises, they did not disappoint. Deviating from the standard setlist, they delivered with "Gloria", Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", Crumbs From Your Table", and "Bad". Bono seemed to be active on the catwalk and his voice was in fine form although my wife thought it was stronger at the Elevation Tour. She also noted the concert was more political than previous tours but did not detract from the experience. Overall, she slightly preferred the Elevation concert while I slightly preferred this show. The only disappointment for me is not hearing RTSS. Miss Sarajevo is a great song with a great story but didn’t seem to fit as well as RTSS for an American Midwestern City. All in all, everything and more from what I hoped for. My full review from u2tours.com is below. See ya in Cleveland!

5 out of 5 Stars
“People have the Power”, sung U2’s frontman Bono during the end of Tuesday’s sold out show at the Palace. But it was the dynamic power of U2’s music which carried the night. U2’s swing through the Motor City did not disappoint as Bono remarked of the special relationship between the band and the fans here in Detroit. U2 weaved old and new in a fast paced 2 hour show with some pleasant surprises from the standard setlist: “Gloria”, “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses” (acoustic) and “Bad”. And Bono showed the goodwill ambassador he is with several references to Rosa Parks, the Civil Rights Pioneer from Detroit who passed away Tuesday. His dedication of the song “One” was well received by the 20,000 fans in attendance. U2 is like a fine wine that improves with time and ages gracefully. After 25 years on the concert circuit, U2 showed why they are the top band in the land.

Highlights:

Vertigo, truly an awesome rocker which sounds even better in concert. This song will be a permanent addition to their setlist for future tours.

Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – A great classic and the sing along with crowd made it special.

War Trilogy, Love & Peace, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet – Excellent, showcases the great skill of “The Edge” & Larry Mullen.

Streets – Stands the test of time and delivers!

Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own – Bono’s dedication to his father and his story about his father conducting music with his mother’s knitting needles made it powerful.

Bad – Phenomenal closer!

Last edited:
October 25 review

This show was absolutely amazing. It helped being in the front row right in front of the band!! I've been a fan since 1984, and when Bono started MLK I started to cry. What an experience. Gloria, Wild Horses, it just got better and better. My friends and fellow fans made the whole experience even more special. Thanks U2!

Last edited:
First post....

I too was at this show, my first U2 show, and I will be honest, that I thought the crowd was a little dead to be honest. While the people were on their feet most of the night, they just didn't really seem into it that much. A crowd can be quite loud, as the Palace crowd was, but at the same time, a lot of the people just didn't really seem to be active with the show. It was kinda sedate, at least to me.

Six weeks earlier, I was a Pearl Jam's show in Hamilton, and that was said to be a dead crowd, but there was a lot of fan interaction between the band and the crowd that night and there were five toasts of the crowd by Eddie Vedder. It might just be that I am not really into what a U2 crowd is like, with it being my first show, so I cannot judge or compare. But, IMO, the crowd was lifeless, even though they were super loud. And then, a bunch of people left immediately after One finished and then even more left following With or Without You. The row next to mine was completely empty for the encores.

As for the show itself, and the performance, I was completely blown away by the band. Clearly, the best band in the world today, bar none. No one comes even close to topping them. Bono is clearly the best rock star in the world and easily is the best singer out there. I have no idea how he hits some of those notes that he hits. I was blown away by his voice and how crisp it sounds after six weeks already on the road. The rest of the band, not to lump Edge, Larry and Adam together, but they are an incredibly tight group of musicians and too many people do not give them enough credit. With the songs that they play, almost every night, I think many bands would go out there and not really give a damn, but there was a tremendous amount of heart and fire in the band that night. These guys sure know how to put on a tremendous rock concert and they easily are the best rock band on the planet.

Loved the setlist, especially the encores. From following the setlists that they have done for most of the previous shows, I knew what to expect for the most part, which is still cool to hear what songs they are going to pull out on a particular night. I wanted to hear The Electric Co., but having Gloria and The Ocean was a great treat. Miss Sarajevo is a great song and I loved hearing it live. Bono doing Pavoroti's part is classic.

The first encore of First Time, Wild Horses and With or Without You is tremendous and should be played at every show. Crumbs was really beautiful and I was shocked to hear it. I figured that the second encore was going to be either All Because of You or Yahweh and I was pleasantly surprised by Crumbs and just how beautiful it was. Then they ended with Bad, the only song that I absolutely wanted them to play and they didn't disappoint!

I ended up seeing this show with my brother and sister-in-law after my friends weren't able to make it to the show. My sister-in-law is a big fan, but my brother not so much. After the show, my brother said that he would pay to see U2 again in a second. High praise for someone who going to the show wasn't looking forward to it. I would easily see U2 again and I hope I get the chance to again in 2006!

-Ryan

Back
Top Bottom