23rd September Minneapolis - Target Center - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:52 AM
23rd September Minneapolis - Target Center

Please post all reviews of the September 23rd show here.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
Babyface

Local Time: 12:52 PM
Great show. No Bad or 40.

2 Virtigos was 1 too many.

They need to end all shows with Bad/40. Otherwise, a really good show. The crowd likes the new songs, but the y love the old songs!!!

Old 09-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

found this review from the Minneapolis Star Tribune posted on u2tours.com: http://www.u2tours.com/displaymedia....D=7649&Return=
Old 09-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Just want to say this before too many complain about 2 Vertigos that the 2nd one was extra. The official setlist ended with Yahweh. So, don't complain about an extra gift. Bono was definitely the one that made the decision at the last moment, you could tell by the way he running around. I am guessing he just wanted another rocking song at the end.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Babyface

yep, Vertigo was an extra. the crowd was really into the whole night, and i think that pushed it over.

"Crumbs" was unbelivably tight and rocking-- you'd think the band had played it a thousand times before.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

another review by Pioneer Press on the u2tours.com site: http://www.u2tours.com/displaymedia....D=7667&Return=
Old 09-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This probably isn’t a very objective review because it was my very first U2 concert after being a fan for more than 18 years, plus I was in GA and got a spot on the rail, but I thought it was an unbelievable show. Never have 2 hours and 15 minutes gone by so quickly. The crowd was going crazy and the band - Bono in particular - really fed off that. At first I was wondering if Bono was having voice problems because the audience seemed to be singing more of I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For more than he did, but later after hearing him nail Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own and Miss Sarajevo, my doubts were cleared. Edge was on fire as well. Bullet and Sunday Bloody Sunday were as passionate as they have ever been. Crumbs sounded awesome for a first-ever live performance, although I would personally rather have heard Fast Cars or even Original of the Species.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
Crumbs sounded awesome for a first-ever live performance, although I would personally rather have heard Fast Cars or even Original of the Species.
I must say I thought Crumbs was great, but I really could have gone for Original or Fast cars in place of the second Vertigo. My ideal show would have had Original instead of Crumbs (even knowing how great Crumbs sounded) and Fast Cars instead of Vertigo #2.

I know I know - it was ending on a rocking moment to keep the momentum going. BUT Fast Cars would have achieved the same result.

"Here's my ten cents, my two cents is free"
Old 09-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:52 AM
I have been seeing them for more than 18 years now....this was by far the best show I have seen. And I feel it was because of Bono's energy.

The show set a record for a crowd in the venue.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I am also not going to complain about having the boys perform Vertigo twice. I truly believed it was a last minute desicion to play it because they were feeding off the energy of the crowd and they were all having a great time themselves. They just wanted to give the crowd another song. Sure it would have been nice to hear Fast Cars or something else, but Vertigo is their big song right now and they obviously have fun playing it. I appreciate the fact that they, like the rest of us, didn't want the show to end.

On another note, the crowd went absolutely crazy for Streets. Miss Sarajevo was fabulous and Bono did a wonderful job singing Pavarotti's part. It brought tears to my eyes.

It was also nice seeing and meeting a few of you Interferencers after the show...even though we got yelled at by the waitress.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
I appreciate the fact that they, like the rest of us, didn't want the show to end.
That's exactly it. The fact that they wanted to play one more, completely impromptu, was a testament to the kind of night it was. Everybody seemed like they were just having a fantastic time. I know I was.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
War Child

I wish I had known where ya'll were meeting up. We went back to the Hilton and ran up a ridiculously large bar tab on our own!

(And nobody yelled at us either!)
Old 09-26-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
The Fly

I think they were going to play '40' at the end instead because the Edge was on bass and Adam on guitar.

Chris
Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by chrischob
I think they were going to play '40' at the end instead because the Edge was on bass and Adam on guitar.

Chris
Well, they weren't supposed to play anything after Yahweh. Bono called for more and Edge and Adam assumed it would be '40' but Bono wanted Vertigo. So, Vertigo was extra but it could have been '40' instead.

So Bono deserves both the praise and the criticism.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by chrischob

Chris
Agree completely -- I was dead center on the floor, and Edge and Adam clearly had each other's instruments as if to play 40, old school style, then they switched back for Vertigo.

I told my sister that it looked like they were just making it up as they went along after Yahew-- I thought for a second they'd even do one more after Vertigo 2.

What a great night -- it was like my 15th show since 1983, and I struggle to think of one that was better -- least that I have seen.