22nd October Pittsburgh - Mellon Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hot Off the Press from Pittsburgh!

Its 2:45 AM, just returned from the show. A few highlights for now:

1. Bono's rather lengthy story about The Edge being from the future (well, we know he is, Conan said so!), from a galaxy far, far away, brought to earth on a spaceship, landed on the north side of Dublin, etc.

2. Here it is...drum roll...PARTY GIRL SHOWED UP TONIGHT! Bono & Edge were on the catwalk and pulled a young man from near us, saying "where is the man who wants to play Party Girl? Where is the Party Girl Man?" This guy was awesome! ! ! They all went up to the stage and proceeded into this really great rendition...Bono said "I think this is going to work!" Then he had a bottle of champagne brought out and proceeded to spray the audience before drinking some, and handing the bottle to Party Girl Man.

3. He was handed a magazine by someone in the crowd, I could see a U2 cover but it wasn't the new Rolling Stone. He said, Sure, we can autograph this for you! He signed it and then took it over to Edge and had him sign it before returning it.

3. No dancing women on stage, but he did bring up 2 little boys together, very touching. Had them sit down and he sang to them.

4. Miss Sarjevo - nothing I have read prepared me for how moving it is in person! Bono nailed every note. Completely disagree with previous reviews that said it ruined the energy of the crowd. Not tonight!

5. The Edge was on fire tonight!!!!! Dancing around, clowning with Bono, he played like a man possessed.

6. Early reports from Security that Bono would not get out of the car to sign/pose/greet on the way in, because he was ill. Silly us, we thought it might be kind of a bummer show...but he really was "on" and seemed to be having a blast. At one point he stopped, looked around at the crowd and said "This is crazy!".

Many more things I'm sure I've forgotten but my brain is wet and frozen from camping out in GA line, must take a hot shower! Dry socks!

:applaud: Excellent! Thank you for hurrying home and posting, despite having been wet and frozen. Hope you get your hot shower and dry clothes! Sounds like a good show. I wonder if Bono was suffering from gig lag or a cold?

I agree, Edge was just really pumped up tonight, the crowd was loud and Bono seemed to be really enjoying himself. I was going to hang out before and after rehearsals, but I'm glad I didn't considering he didn't come out. I wasn't feeling too well myself and didn't want to be outside in the cold. :wink:

I loved when someone was handing him that magazine and he said "I've never signed an autograph during a show, let's try it" and then he signed it and so did Edge.

Anyway, I had a great time and I loved the show! I hope they switch up the setlist though once Cleveland rolls around.

Amazing, Amazing show....sooo many memories. I loved when he forgot the lyrics to SIAM and the crowd was singing along and he's trying to talk to Edge and is like "hold on a minute" that was awesome. Party Girl rocked. I never liked the song until I heard it last night. Loved the references to the city. The story about Edge being from the future was funny. Just a great great night all around. I got into the GA line at 530 and I was like 6 feet fron the stage. how sweet is that?

I had the best night ever...all night I was literally 20-30 ft from Bono...and I was in B5. :D I had gotten the numbers mixed up and i thought we were wayyyyyyyyyyy far away but no! I kept an eye for any sign of peoples from here, but there was so many people I couldn't. Loads of lovely fans though who were very kind all night. This was my first and I pray won't be my last!

lol, I kept yelling I Love You and Bono fifty gillion times hoping maybe for them to hear. I think they knew, esp after Streets! OMG the whole place from top to bottom went nuts and I think we blew Bono away. :) I just watched him standing there in awe and if heard right, there was a big wow and a sigh. :) What a beautiful man, awesome band and awesome night...

I had figured B was ill because he didn't run around the elipse! I looked forward to Streets for that reason, but hey he still put out 150%. :)

I used my whole camera up but I'd love a copy of this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I'm so glad to hear everyone had a great time! I worry about Bono, hope he gets better because he was ill in Philly :sad: but he can put on a heck of a performance!

here's some pics from a friend of mine who was there last night inside the ellipse...

50620119.jpg

50620124.jpg

50620115.jpg

What a concert. WHAT A CONCERT. I'll get back to that later.

Everything else before that was a joke. I got to the arena at 2:00 and it was 45 degrees and raining all day. My pants were soaked and I was freezing like crazy. I got my hand numbered (259) so I was comfortable with my standing for GA.

However, no one at the arena had any clue what was going on. I thought where I was standing was the back of the line, but it turns out it was the front (as the GA area was right on the street where I arrived). There were no staff members to ask what was going on, where we were supposed to go, or how the lines were organized. Basically, the people policed themselves the entire day.

The number system was entirely useless too, since people just stood where they wanted and did whatever they wanted. There was no one to stop them, and nobody complained because no one knew what was going on, nor did anyone explain. Basically, it was just chaos and we all ended up just standing around where we felt we should. The numbers never came into play, a U2.com line was never even mentioned, and they did not open the doors until 6:40. Very poor organizing on everyone's part.

Not only that, but a friend flaked out on me so I had an extra GA ticket to sell. Nobody seemed like they wanted to buy so I ended up selling it to a scalper for $40, a $100 loss from where I started. I felt like I sold my soul and was feeling down, wet, and cold.

And then we were let in and the pure joy and excitement of being on the floor set in. Seeing Mellon Arena from a completely different perspective than I'm used to was a rush. I was literally at center ice, looking on at all the fans. Me and the people I paired up with did not end up in the ellipse, but we weren't complaining! We were 4 rows of bodies from the tip of the ellipsde, a good 10 feet from the stage.

The arena staff on the inside were some really cool dudes. They took the time to take photos of parties of people (one guy spent 5 minutes trying to get the perfect photo for this girl and her friends). They tossed the beach ball back when it hopped over the fence. And they were very conversant with the front row guys.

I was hanging on every "OH" of Wake Up, when they started dimming the lights and lowering the stage lamps. The anticipation was the most I've felt in my entire life.

I knew that from where I was standing, if City of Blinding Lights was the opener, I would get to see Bono pop right up in front of me. And even if Love and Peace was the opener, he and Larry would still start out on the tip. But man, nothing beats COBY as the opener. Nothing.

From there, U2 raced through their set list and did a great job on every song. Electric Co was mind-blowing. My jaw was hanging for the entire song and the rest of the concert on. I knew what songs to expect the band to play, but that did not affect my excitement and enjoyment of them.

Maybe it's just me being partial to the concert I attended, but something seemed really special about this one. I've been to 2 others in my life and have seen half a dozen bootlegs (some of the best ones out there). But U2 really seemed on tonight. Bono seemed like he paused a lot longer in between songs to listen to the crowd cheer. The expressions on his face seemed to suggest he was amazed by the support of the crowd. He uttered the words "Wow" at least a half dozen times throughout the concert. Unbelievable.

It cannot be said enough: Miss Sarajevo is a brilliant song. Especially when Bono does Luciano Pavrotti (sp?)'s part. I tested my new digital camera's Video feature for the first time on his opera solo and it was dead on, like expected. A wonderful performance.

The song that brought down the house and changed the night was Party Girl. Alan, as the crowd knows him, had been holding up a sign that said "ME + GUITAR = PARTY GIRL" for a good portion of the concert. When Bono first came down to the edge of the ellipse where we were, he definitely saw the sign, smiled, and said something. Later, he returned to the edge of the ellipse and asked "Where is that guy that wanted to play Party Girl?" Bono was looking off in a completely different direction while everyone in our area was screaming. Finally, he sees Alan with the sign and bring him up to the main stage, where he proceeds to play a nearly flawless version of Party Girl, with Edge, Larry, and Adam. And yes, Bono got the lyrics right. At the end, Bono opened a bottle of champagne and proceeded to spray the crowd and Alan with it. After the song was over, Bono handed the bottle over to Alan, who got the loudest ovation of the night as he walked back down the ellipse to his seat. After the concert, as the people I buddied with were driving me home, we saw him walking outside Mellon Arena in the rear view mirror. Immediately, we scrambled to find a CD with Party Girl on it and just as he was passing the car, we rolled down the windows, opened the doors, and blasted the song for him.

I simply cannot say enough about the concert. This tops everything I have seen in my life. Easily the most fun I have ever had.

I arrived just after midnight Fri nite (Sat morning) and set up tent, it was cold and miserable. The arena folks never orgnize the GA line as far as I know, its always something done by the folks in front. Brad (dont know his Interference name) and Miroslava did a terrific job of writing numbers on hands. Brad was 1, Miro 2, I was 7. All day long, people came to the front of the line thinking they were at the rear, no way for them to know until they asked, it makes sense people would think that becuz the rear of the line was actually up on top by the doors (GA goes in underneath). Lots of ticked off people, but the Line Gestapo did the best they could! After 19 hrs in line, I ended up at the rail next to someone who had number 60-something on her hand who arrived at noon, people behind us had 100 something. It almost made it seem not worth it to camp out, but oh well, it was a good experience I guess.

Last edited:
I got there at 2:30 am on Satuday and sat outside in the rain in my chair until the show started. A few things I want to say first of all it was worth the drive from philly and the wait in the rain. BUT there are a couple of things im disappointed in. My number said number 16 when I got in line the person in front of me was 11 I asked her where are numbers 12-15 she replied with "someone put them on the list but they never showed up". I dont understand how that works I sat out in the rain but if they would have showed up 10 minutes before the show they would have jumped in front of me? Now I know all of use heard when Bono said I never signed an autograph at the concert. That was from the older guy and girl besides me. Listen to this bullshit they snuck in right when they started moving the GA line whoever was behind me they just cut right in line and no1 said nothing that bullshit. None of that was ever supposed to happen the guy and girl were so corny they were reading lyrics of the new songs before the show and the guy kept yelling "you got the spirit paul" like he knew him or something what a J/O. Concert was good though that just made me mad that I was soaked and this guy comes out of nowhere. Really enjoyed party girl pictures to come sometime this week.

Hi U2 Bobby, you were the poor guy sitting in the chair all night with his girlfriend? Bummer. I was the "mature female" in the blue tent who got the security guy to take us to the restroom in the morning. I felt so bad for you!

That sucks about people cutting in. Somebody should have done something about it. I know what you mean, we were getting pretty irate with the people trying to get in the front of the line, after we waited all night and day. I would have scratched their eyes out! (Hey, love and peace!) Everyone who asked if they could have a number for their husband who wasnt there yet or their wife, they were put on the list but were told to make sure the people around them in line knew someone else was coming, and also it was stressed nobody could just show up at the last minute and get in at number 32, or whatever. There's really no way to enforce that though, I guess its up to the people around them. I sure can understand why youre upset about the guy with the autograph. The woman next to me at the rail talked to the Security dude all night. Im not sure why she was even there. She was freaking out because people behind her were pushing to get closer, she was actually crying and she said she didn't want to die here several times. Then, close to the end of the show she asked the security guy where the drinking fountain was. SERIOUSLY! I bet she adjusted her coat which was hanging over the rail 50 times, it was just right where my hand naturally went and I think she was upset about me touching it.

I actually wasnt with my girlfriend I was with my little cousin I was number 16 I think the guy with his girlfriend was number 8 or something. But I think I remember who you were you had like a real long coat? and short hair... but anyways as far as people not liking the floor because its to hot or dont want to be crushed then dont sit there. It was terrible the autograph people beside me were actually leaving during the show 1 at a time and the other was watching there spot I was telling the people behind me to move up but they wouldnt ... You dont do that shit on the floor you move thats it .. it aint your spot anymore

Yep that was me. As soon as we took our place at the rail I ran to find the bathroom, but they wouldnt let me use the one down by the door, they said I had to go upstairs. Yea, right! I went back to my spot and just waited til the end. Even though people were just being let in, I had to push and shove to get back to my spot.

U2 was Awesome, Pgh Crapped Out in the End

I imagine I'll get some flames for this but.....

Last nights show in Pittsburgh was awesome. U2 seemed to really be enjoying themselves, and the crowd was standing chearing along the whole night. Myspot on the floor, though outside the ellipse was very good. Had a great time for 2 hrs 15 mins.

Then the concerted "ended"- with "40"! But what happened.... nothing? Larry leaves his kit, walks off and virtual silence. House lights go out and people file out. Nobody continues the "How... long... How.... Long... to sing this song....."

My first U2 show was 21 years ago. Haven't missed a tour in that time and in seen them in no less then a dozen cities. This was the first time I've seen them end with "40" and nobody continued on.

What gives?

40 sucks these days, Vertigo needs a distinct closer like elevation had Walk On

well they could always go back to Vertigo x 2 :shifty:

I like 40 as the close of the show but I think the combo of bad/40 works better than just 40 as a stand alone song

The “40” ending is lame as a closer and there are a dozen other songs I’d love to have in it’s place. Maybe fatigue has something to do with it or maybe it’s originality. Is there anything wrong with something upbeat like “Walk On”, “Beautiful Day”, or “Streets” as a closer? Just as a personal note I’d like to witness “Electrical Storm” performed live once before I die.

The way they end 40 these days, almost seems to suggest they don't want you to sing "How long to sing this song." When Edge finishes playing the bass and walks off, Larry stops drumming at almost the same time, and then punches it into full-time for like 15 seconds, and then stops abruptly. I thought the point of them leaving the stage was the song gradually simmering down to a whisper, while the crowd continues to sing. Ending the song abruptly is going to draw more cheers than singing, in my opinion.

you should have been to msg 10/8. the crowd wouldnt stop! heck , some were still singing it in the streets. it was an awesome ending!!!!

I feel like Bono's awe is being scripted into the shows now... because he's done it at Boston 1 and 2 and it seems like every show after (you know, the "WOW" during the noise after Streets)... kind of takes away from it if he does it EVERY night. :(

Clapton used to be my #1 man but as he's gotten older, he's gotten too mellow. I still like him alot but the last concert I saw was all blues. I've seen him maybe 6x.

40 is not my favorite song but I think its a decent ending, I like how they all go off one at a time leaving Larry alone drumming... From where I was, the how long's went on for a couple minutes, once they started taking the set down it broke off.

What's the name of the newspaper in Pittsburgh? I want to see what kind of review they gave it.

Oh I found it, if anyone's interested...

U2 brings powerful music and message to Mellon Arena
Sunday, October 23, 2005

By Ed Masley, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Long before he'd sprayed the crowd down front with the foam from a bottle of champagne during a spirited encore performance of "Party Girl," with an audience member helping out The Edge on acoustic guitar, it was clear that Bono had come to the Mellon Arena on Saturday in the mood to celebrate.

This is the year of U2's Hall of Fame induction, after all, not to mention the 25th anniversary of "Boy," the band's debut.

But Bono was clearly more thrilled at the thought of the quarter of a million Africans he said were still alive because the warring factions of the U.S. political system had set aside their differences just long enough to help; more thrilled to have his old friend, former U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill in the house; more thrilled that 2 million people and counting had joined the ranks of ONE, a Bono-linked campaign "to make poverty history." By 2008, the ever-charismatic social activist reported, those numbers should grow to 5 million. "And that's bigger than the NRA, ladies and gentlemen," he announced with a grin.

.Throughout the concert, he offset impassioned performances of U2's greatest hits and new material with a message of hope and peaceful co-existence while advancing a social agenda based on human rights and bringing an end not just to poverty and AIDS but also to war.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was scrolled across the giant screen above his head at the end of a moving rendition of "Miss Sarajevo," in which he asked, "Is there a time for human rights? Is this the time?" And in the most dramatic gesture of the night, after singing a line of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in the middle of "Bullet the Blue Sky," he dropped to his knees, arms raised above his head, a blindfold covering his eyes.

It's rare to see a pop star work so hard at advancing a social agenda in the context of a big arena show that kicks off with a rain of ticker tape. Not even Springsteen goes to these extremes. But the preachiness made for a natural fit with the power of the music -- at times on an obvious level (an electrifying "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and an anthemic "Pride (In the Name of Love)" in particular. And Bono's vocals served those messages with passion and conviction, a hint of raspiness only adding emotional weight to such classics as "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," "Pride" and "One."

Even with everything that U2's rhythm section -- bassist Adam Clayton, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. -- continues to bring to the table, the focus of Saturday's concert rarely drifted from the singer and his foil on guitar, The Edge. On more than one occasion, that was all there was, one vocal, one guitar, from the minimal wah-guitar and vocals approach they took on the opening verses of "Elevation" to the unplugged "The First Time" that kicked off the encore.

U2 dug as deep as "I Will Follow," which sounded as fresh as the day it was born, and blew the dust off "The Electric Co.," while touching on a number of the early songs that still in many ways define their legacy -- "With or Without You," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," "Where the Streets Have No Name."

But this was not another oldies show. They set the stage with two songs from their latest album -- "City of Blinding Lights" and "Vertigo" -- and a third from their previous effort, "Elevation." Even after "I Will Follow," "The Electric Co." and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," it didn't hurt the show's momentum any when they kept coming back to those two latest albums. In fact, those records spawned a number of the concert's highlights, from "Beautiful Day" and a stripped-down, soulful performance of at least one critic's pick for U2's finest hour, "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," to such lesser-known treasures as "Miracle Drug" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," which Bono sent out to his father in a moving elegy.

That speech about his dad was merely one of several very human moments in a huge arena show that felt more like a club date without all the smoke. And that human connection more than likely has as much to do with all those bodies they keep packing into venues the size of the Mellon Arena as it does with all the millions they sold of "The Joshua Tree."

Last edited:
BEVERLY56 said:
Clapton used to be my #1 man but as he's gotten older, he's gotten too mellow. I still like him alot but the last concert I saw was all blues. I've seen him maybe 6x.

40 is not my favorite song but I think its a decent ending, I like how they all go off one at a time leaving Larry alone drumming... From where I was, the how long's went on for a couple minutes, once they started taking the set down it broke off.

Clapton is still cool and at his roots he’s a blues man anyway but if you want an example of mellow just look towards Rod Stewart. I’m not particularly looking forward to Bono and the boys playing show tunes at the Starlight Lounge 25 years from now.

Ha ha. I saw Rod Stewart once in Cleveland and it was a terrific show! The man had alot of energy. It was a longgg time ago. But youre right, he's just basically coasting now. I don't think we'll ever see U2 doing that, they would just hang it up before they'd start singing show tunes.

As for Clapton, he IS the God of Guitar, but I now think Edge is not far behind him.

Gen. Chat - I love your avatar!

Back
Top Bottom