22nd October Pittsburgh - Mellon Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I absolutely thought the show was awsome! Worth every penny! I also thought it was adorable that Bono forgot some of the words to Stuck in a Moment and had to ask Edge!

Brilliant, brilliant show.... Got there a bit late (just as Damien Marley was starting up) . Maybe this means i'm getting old, but Guiness at the Tap Room of the William Penn sounded a lot better than standing in the rain all afternoon.... anyways - we were stuck towards the back for most of Damien (didn't much miss apart from the Flag Guy - he rocked) but managed to work our way forward once U2 started up. I was initially really kind of bummed by the crows around me - just standing there. Not jumping, not singing. Standing. Bummer... we figured that wouldn't work, so we slid forward and acutally wound up about 8 feet left of the center of the elipse, 3 people deep. Not too shabby....

As for the U2 show... what more can be said. The Edge is a God. Can't wait for Cleveland....

I agree with you Drummer I cant wait for Cleveland either but im not looking forward to the 11 hour bus ride and the cold weather.

Dawn’s Review: After having been at the Philly concert on 10/16, I had planned on waiting until December to see U2 in concert again. But, the fact that they would be playing in Pittsburgh on the upcoming Saturday - only a short 2 ½ hour drive from my home - was always in the back of my mind. I kept checking and re-checking the Ticketmaster website, hoping for that ticket drop that was happening before every show. By Friday, nothing had emerged and I started to resign myself to missing the show. I was so depressed that I was going to miss this opportunity. Then, on Saturday, the day of the show, I tried one more time about 3:30 PM… A pair of great seats popped up!

I called my husband into the room. There was no way we both could go to the concert – We have two young children and no babysitter available at the last minute. I had been planning to take my 9-year-old son Matthew to the Cleveland concert so we quickly decided that I would take him to the concert that night instead (all while the 2-minute hold on the seats was ticking away on the clock)! We didn’t have to ask Matthew twice – He just celebrated his 9th birthday the Wednesday before the concert and this would be an awesome birthday gift!

So we took the tickets and started running around getting ready to leave. We were ready to go but the .pdf file with the tickets attached still hadn’t arrived from Ticketmaster. After calling Ticketmaster customer service and making a nice girl named Tasha stay on the line with me until the e-mail came through, we got our tickets, printed them out, and hit the road! The weather was rainy and foggy but the drive went smoothly and we pulled into the Marriott parking garage across from the arena at 7:40 PM.

We found our seats and they were pretty good. We were in the first row just past the end of the ellipse, but our view of the stage was partially blocked by the people standing in the GA section on the floor. As it got closer to the time for U2 to take the stage, we noticed a number of other seats that were still empty. I asked one of the event staff guys if we were allowed to move to empty seats that were closer to the stage. He said that it shouldn’t be a problem because he didn’t think those seats were all sold since they just put them on sale that day after they were sure they had room for those sections. We moved up a couple of rows higher so we’d be above the heads of the people on the floor and down about two sections closer to the stage. The seats we ended up in were AMAZING! We were about 20 feet from the ellipse on The Edge’s side and had an incredible view of the stage.

And, it was a fantastic show!!! I had no complaints about the Philly concert earlier that week, but this was even better. The band and the crowd seemed more relaxed and playful and the more intimate size of Mellon Arena brought everyone closer together. The set list was almost identical to the show I saw in Philly but the minor changes (I Will Follow instead of The Ocean and Party Girl added to the encore) really kept the energy of the crowd going and took the show to another level.

Now here’s Matthew’s review of his first U2 concert…
“I was really pumped about our seats because we were so close to The Edge. He’s my favorite person in the band. (Mom said to say, “He was on fire!”) I really liked the songs they chose for the concert. Some of my favorite parts were:

-Elevation because the crowd was so pumped up and I liked singing the woo-hoo parts.
-Miracle Drug because I know almost every word of the song and I laughed when Bono said The Edge is from the future.
-Love and Peace when Bono was smashing on the drum at the end of the song.
-Miss Sarajevo because I thought it was amazing when Bono sang the opera part in Italian.
-When everyone turned on their cell phones before One. It looked like a tidal wave of lights. (Mom adds that she is impressed with Matthew’s creative description of the cell phone thing!)
-When the guy from the audience came up on stage to play Party Girl with the band. He did a great job and I hope that someday I can be on stage playing guitar with my hero, The Edge.
The concert was absolutely amazing and I am already trying to talk my mom into taking me again in December!”

Dawn back again… It WAS absolutely amazing and we had a great time. It was so special sharing this experience with my son and watching the concert through his eyes. I am so glad that we did the crazy, spontaneous thing by grabbing those last-minute tickets. It was an evening neither Matthew nor I will ever forget. Can’t wait to see them again in Cleveland in December!

U2Bobby said:
BUT there are a couple of things im disappointed in. My number said number 16 when I got in line the person in front of me was 11 I asked her where are numbers 12-15 she replied with "someone put them on the list but they never showed up".

Just to clarify something about numbers 12-15 on the list. They were REMOVED from the list and got placed back on somewhere in the 50s because they were not there for most of the early morning. This was not a case of holding four spots for friends, etc. To the contrary, those four spots were forfeited and, in essence, ceased to exist. They were crossed out on the list at about 7:00 AM. There was no flim-flam going on there.

I did hear about the line cutters and that is bullshit. The venue is totally to blame for that--they should have had SOME presence/oversight of the line at some point in time. Even if they came out at 5 or 6 o'clock and put a barricade up it would help. It's total BS that they do NOTHING. I was in line at midnight and there must have been 50 people who at one point or another just tried to jump in the front. Some actually complained, saying, "We have to go all the way up THERE??" gesturing to the back of the line. "No, you idiot, we don't want to inconvenience you...those people waited in the rain for hours, but you're special...just jump right in any where you feel cozy."

One guy actually came to the front of the line, asked where it began and ended and, when we told him, he said that he wanted to talk to some venue staff member that he knew so he'd pull some strings and get in the front of the line. Clue--LESS!

Any way, it was a totally awesome show. Great meeting you Bobby, Bev, and all.

Last edited:
U2Bobby said:
I got there at 2:30 am on Satuday and sat outside in the rain in my chair until the show started. A few things I want to say first of all it was worth the drive from philly and the wait in the rain. BUT there are a couple of things im disappointed in. My number said number 16 when I got in line the person in front of me was 11 I asked her where are numbers 12-15 she replied with "someone put them on the list but they never showed up". I dont understand how that works I sat out in the rain but if they would have showed up 10 minutes before the show they would have jumped in front of me? Now I know all of use heard when Bono said I never signed an autograph at the concert. That was from the older guy and girl besides me. Listen to this bullshit they snuck in right when they started moving the GA line whoever was behind me they just cut right in line and no1 said nothing that bullshit. None of that was ever supposed to happen the guy and girl were so corny they were reading lyrics of the new songs before the show and the guy kept yelling "you got the spirit paul" like he knew him or something what a J/O. Concert was good though that just made me mad that I was soaked and this guy comes out of nowhere. Really enjoyed party girl pictures to come sometime this week.

I did not run the line until the morning, but #s 14, 15, & 16 quit and their names were scratched off the list by SuperFan and they were advised they could not get back in line. If they did, then something should have been said as it was not a condoned...

Oh, and I didnt read the rest of the thread, I see the response has been given!

Hi Kev!! I will write you later! :kiss:

Chizip said:
40 sucks these days, Vertigo needs a distinct closer like elevation had Walk On

Spudly said Pitt was the first closer he'd seen with "40." Here's one you'll laugh at: I have yet to see a show this tour (7 so far) that DIDN'T end with "40." So, I confess, I'm really looking forward to something new. Would love to see Walk On, Bad, Vertigo 2 end a show.

Had my doubts for awhile...but yes it was definitely worth it. If I can find GA I'll do it again in Cleveland. Found out we have a propane heater I could have brought. So...If you want to stay warm in Cleveland just help me find a GA!

Thats awesome if you get a ticket for face Beverly the cheapest ive seen on here is like 375.00 and yes I will probobly end up spending that because im an asshole.

ETS has GAs for $189.00. If you look under the Bus and Ticket packages, you can buy them! So do not pay $300.00 :no:

I dont know how to get in touch with ETS, pls tell me . And I'm going to lose at least $100 on my ticket in hand. Unless I try to sell on ebay. I only have 1. but if anyone is interested...

No, the party is the day of... So basically, you have to RUN to the party location, collect your GA and RUN back to the line... Lots of people do his I guess, though it will be my first one. If there are several of us with the same need, we can just pile in one car and go, or eve betterm find out if they will release a bunch of tickets in care of a few people... :huh:

and we should probably move this convo to a more appropriate thread...

Bad Mod! Bad Mod! :shame:

Back
Top Bottom