22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:55 PM
22nd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

Please post all reviews of the November 22nd show here.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Babyface

Local Time: 05:55 AM
It was a great show, except I expected a lot more for the last night in NYC. Something was going on about the 30 min earlier start because they seemed to end the show abruptly at 11:15 even though they seemed to have at least one song left (judging by Monday's show). I thought they would have shaken things up a little more tonight, and frankly am a little disappointed. However, I did see UTEOTW for the first time tonight (on this tour) and thought it was absolutely fantastic, brought the house. I was just disappointed by the abrupt ending. Couldn't they have played one more????

Old 11-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:55 AM
i agree that the ending was abrupt. they were playing 'instant karma' with patti smith onstage, and it sounded great. then all of a sudden, bono grabs patti and they leave the stage. the rest of the band follows. we thought it was over, but then they all reappeared, did one more verse of 'instant karma', and then ended it for good.

i saw the setlist, and they cut "yahweh" and "40". i wonder why they had to get out of there so quickly??

it was a good show, but i personally think last night's was much better. but hey, it was still a fun night, and the band never really disappoints.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
War Child

I thought it was amazing, then again it was only my 2nd U2 show, but it seemed like they were going to come out again after the 2nd round of Instant Karma-I was a little disappointed that they didn't. When they went down the stairs with Patti at Instant Karma I could see Bono dancing around, waiting to go back up- it was funny. And what was with everyone dropping their phones in One- what happened to the song-long sway?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:55 AM
From u2tours.com, interesting comment:

Larry was particularly upbeat tonite and many times waved to his left with more energy than usual. He even blew a kiss in that direction... which made me take a closer look and VIOLA! there is his girlfriend/wife Ann... It was interesting to see him blow that kiss up to her... v. sweet.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
War Child

Also from u2.com show review:

"You knew this was a pretty unusual support act when you saw at least three members of U2 surreptitiously enjoying her set from within the audience."

Whoa! Who was missing? I hope not Adam! But I have a gut feeling Adam was missing. I'll bet U2 were in the Ellispe! Anyone lucky enough to see them there?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

23rd November, New York - Madison Square Garden

Please post all reviews of this show here. Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
Babyface

GREAT show. Energy they had thru the first 4 tunes was electric. A little lull midway (one I've never seen in my 11 times I've seen 'em), but Bono picked it up heading into "Love & Peace". And by "lull" I mean that for the first time I sensed a somewhat disconnected crowd. Perhaps--as a previous post mentioned--people were expecting MORE for their last MSG/NYC show? Everything else was great! "Streets" was unreal, as usual....and Bono held his own very impressively taking on the Pavarotti part in "Miss Sarajevo". "Electric Co" was a nice, INCREDIBLE surprise. My only wish was that they would have played "Miracle Drug" and that they would have ended (as they frequently did) with "All Because of You", "Yahweh", and "40". Unfortunately, the previous night's show ended with "Bad". BUT, it was a great show, my tickets were free, and my girl was with me--NO COMPLAINTS, only some wishes!

Set list

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation (Crowd sang the first set of verses while only Edge played, then the rest kicked in)
Electric Co.
I Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
Original of the Species
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday (add "Rock the Casbah" bono-led crowd singalong)
Bullet The Blue Sky (SICK Edge solo)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Until the End of the World (Best song of the concert, in my opinion)
Mysterious Ways (Bono brought up a 12 or 13 y/o girl and gave her a piggyback ride to the mic)
With or Without You

Stuck in a Moment (again, dedicated this to Michael Hutchence as it also happened to be the 7th anniversay of his death)
Instant Karma
Old 11-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Wha?
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:55 AM
And they say U2.com has bad editors...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Great show however I too was a little surprised by the abrupt ending and same/shorter setlist as the night before...As usual this band can do no wrong in my book but I expected a liitle more for their last night at MSG
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #12
Refugee

This show was great. I can't believe they closed with MOFO.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #13
Refugee

This show was amazing!

They played Lemon (to be used as a b-side for a future single), they did a medley of Who’s Gonna Ride your Wild Horses and Redemption Song, they played Dirty Day and Discotheque AND they called me up on stage to play guitar with them on the world premiere of Acrobat (acoustic version) It was…my life has changed cos of this show…

Although I felt that the opening act of the Polka U2 cover band ‘Accordion, Baby’ was a bit odd – but what can you do?

Can't wait for tonight's show!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was a little disappointed with the ending too. I thought they would end with something more significant since it was their last stop in NYC for the tour.

Even so, it was a great show. The best part was UTEOTW, especially when Edge ran around the ellipse. He was dynamic last night. He even stood on a box next to Larry, and Larry had a good laugh. He laughed a lot last night. The whole band was having fun. But Adam didn't seem to me as laid back as the others.Maybe that's why that reviewer didn't mention him when Patti Smith closed the show with the band?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
From u2tours.com, interesting comment:

Larry was particularly upbeat tonite and many times waved to his left with more energy than usual. He even blew a kiss in that direction... which made me take a closer look and VIOLA! there is his girlfriend/wife Ann... It was interesting to see him blow that kiss up to her... v. sweet.

That was my review

Here is my full (kind of) report... I had posted in Fan Exp. earlier...

I never complain about U2 or the shows but I have to say it was a little disappointing the way it ended. I had seen the set list and 40 was supposed to close, I even was expecting a little Party Girl and was just really surprised it ended after Instant Karma... just not like them to not end in a bigger way... oh well, ces't la vie

In case anyone noticed, My Boy Larry was particularly upbeat tonite and many times waved to his left with more energy than usual. He even blew a kiss in that direction... which made me take a closer look and VIOLA! there is The Lady Ann... I'd say in about section 74.. little white tank top & jeans... anyone else notice or get a photo? She was smiling alot (who wouldn't smile alot if Larry was sleeping next to them every night). It was interesting to see him blow that kiss up to her... v. sweet.

Not many celeb sightings as usual tonite, all I got was Charlie Rose.

All in all it was a fabulous night, as usual. Can't wait to see some of the photos you folks in the ellipse may have taken, hopefully I'll be able to spot myself

Can't wait for Baaaasss-ton, it will be wicked fun!

Shine on...