21st September Chicago - United Center - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:12 AM
21st September Chicago - United Center

Please post all reviews of the September 21st show here.

Old 09-22-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Great show! The encore was UNBELIEVEABLE! Despite the fact that it was lacking any sort of Achtung.

Both last night and tonight, I got goosebumps while Bono was singing Pavorotti's part of Miss Sarajevo.

Fast Cars was rocking! A great song, and despite the fact that most people in the audience had probably never heard it, they all seemed to enjoy it, as it was a really fun and upbeat performance.

I love U2, and they can do no wrong in my book, but did it seem to anyone else that Bono made an awful lot of mistakes tonight?

-he couldn't figure out how to start Yahweh
-I've never heard it before, but since he apologized, I guess he messed up the opera bit after Sometimes
-he managed to come in way late for a line in 40
-plus a number of others that I'm too tired to remember

Don't get me wrong, it was a great show, and minor mistakes like those just make a concert seem more "true".

Oh well, at least he didn't have to resort to the lyric sheet tonight.

Old 09-22-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Hmm maybe Bono has trouble finding his rhythm as such when the setlist is less predictable?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:12 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but this is probably the worst U2 show I've seen. It was, in a word, weak. I don't think that the band had a whole lot of energy last night, and I really think that it's because the show has remained basically unchanged since it opened in San Diego.

One of the ironic things was that the performance of Pride was on its way to being a highlight of the night...until the band seemed to cut it short. Streets was good, as usual. Don't get me wrong, there were very, very high points -- City of Blinding Lights, Bad, The Electric Co., to name probably my top three songs from last night...but the rest of the time the band seemed uninspired.

The "war trilogy" that I was so high on back in May fell flatter than a pancake. Some of that may be personal, but some of it might just be that the band really wasn't behind it in the same way.

I suppose that when one has started to see many shows on the same tour, though, the weaker ones are a letdown...
Old 09-22-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by knox
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but this is probably the worst U2 show I've seen. It was, in a word, weak. I don't think that the band had a whole lot of energy last night, and I really think that it's because the show has remained basically unchanged since it opened in San Diego.

Are you sure you went to the right show? Look at the setlist! Then compare it to the night before. Then to the first Toronto show. Then to U2's last North American set, Boston III in May. Then to night one in San Diego. The differences, by U2's standards, are startling.

BAD opening the encore? That has NEVER happened before. And the fourth ever performance of Fast Cars! A rare OOTS, the sixth WGRYWH of tour - I could go on.

Yep, this set has so stayed the same since March.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

One of the ironic things was that the performance of Pride was on its way to being a highlight of the night...until the band seemed to cut it short. Streets was good, as usual. Don't get me wrong, there were very, very high points -- City of Blinding Lights, Bad, The Electric Co., to name probably my top three songs from last night...but the rest of the time the band seemed uninspired.

The "war trilogy" that I was so high on back in May fell flatter than a pancake. Some of that may be personal, but some of it might just be that the band really wasn't behind it in the same way.

I suppose that when one has started to see many shows on the same tour, though, the weaker ones are a letdown...

Axver, I don't think Knox was complaining about the set list, but rather the lack of energy by the band.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have to agree with knox. Bono seemed "off" or or.......something.

I thought the set list was just "eh"

I was actually bored during bullet. yes, I said it. I was bored at a U2 show. When I looked around, others were too.

I was on the rail just to the right of the tip.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
Refugee

Axver, I understand that some songs have changed, but the overwhelming majority of the show feels exactly the same as it did back in May. They still kill the show's full-steam-ahead momentum when they play The Ocean. And except for switching in Ms. Sarajevo (which is better on the record) for Running to Stand Still and the addition of Yahweh in the middle (a song that almost sucks as badly as The Ocean), There is an entire block of songs that are EXACTLY the same:

Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
(Yahweh)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday (gets more uninspiring every time it's played)
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still/Ms. Sarajevo
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

AND THEY STILL PLAY ELEVATION.

This show needs a three month hiatus so this band can learn to play their good songs again. Anything off of Pop. Wire. Exit. Something....

And there's still the fact that the band is playing with zero energy, at least that's how it seems.

The funny thing was that a lot of the crowd was really into it...I dunno what the experience would have been like without that.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Axver, I understand that some songs have changed, but the overwhelming majority of the show feels exactly the same as it did back in May. They still kill the show's full-steam-ahead momentum when they play The Ocean. And except for switching in Ms. Sarajevo (which is better on the record) for Running to Stand Still and the addition of Yahweh in the middle (a song that almost sucks as badly as The Ocean), There is an entire block of songs that are EXACTLY the same:

Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
(Yahweh)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday (gets more uninspiring every time it's played)
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still/Ms. Sarajevo
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

AND THEY STILL PLAY ELEVATION.

This show needs a three month hiatus so this band can learn to play their good songs again. Anything off of Pop. Wire. Exit. Something....

And there's still the fact that the band is playing with zero energy, at least that's how it seems.

The funny thing was that a lot of the crowd was really into it...I dunno what the experience would have been like without that.
well maybe if most of the crowd were into it, maybe that says something? maybe its just the people who find the lack of energy, and not the actual band, from what i seen of them in europe and on the bootlegs i have from that leg, there is plenty of energy and playfulness, and from what i heard about toronto and the first chigago show, the energy was still there, people constantly blame the band, when really it could them themselves that arent feeling it as much as they used to
Old 09-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Wow, how depressing. It seems like the people at the setlist party were having a better time than the people at the show.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

We sure know how to throw a CRAZY setlist party !!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:12 AM
I thought the band was in rare form. They were loose as hell; from arriving at the arena late to playing very late, they seemed to be really enjoying themselves and the crowd. I've never seen them laugh or smile at each other so much. During 'Horses' Bono even quipped "You were late Larry" on a drum fill. Fast cars was a non-setlist addition and entertained all with Bono's attempt at Flamenco dancing, and nobody is listing the "Do you think I'm Sexy" snippet before Elevation!! Everybody around me at the tip of the eclipse was cracking up. 'Bad/First Time is an instant classic. I think well'll be hearing this very often during the rest of the tour. WOWY was played without Bono on guitar, "They won't let me play guitar...for many good reasons."
If you we're hoping to hear ZooStation or Pop songs I can understand being a little disappointed, but I loved every second of last night. A heartfelt show for sure and when is the last time they did the "Bono leaves his hat on the mikestand during 40 and Larry puts it on as he leaves." bit?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 PM   #13
Refugee

Yeah, don't let my wet-blanketness distract from the fact that Bad-For The First Time was amazing.

like I said, there were some great points...but it just didn't seem as good as the four other shows I saw in Chicago during the first leg. I did notice the extra-playfullness, but the show itself is lacking, and the energy doesn't seem to be in the songs.

The crowd energy struck me as being the "I'm drunk and lovin' it!" variety.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I agree with knox again. the people in the back half of the ellipse were the "i'm drunk and loving it" types.

Bad/For the First Time brought tears to my eyes. It was fantastic.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
Babyface

Question on the video / lighting aspects of the show...any different than the first North American leg? Confetti during COBL, Human Rights smokescreen video, flags during WTSHNN, walking video guy on SYCMIOYO?

I was at Chicago III and IV and am curious if they've tweaked that aspect.