21st September Chicago - United Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great show! The encore was UNBELIEVEABLE! Despite the fact that it was lacking any sort of Achtung.

Both last night and tonight, I got goosebumps while Bono was singing Pavorotti's part of Miss Sarajevo.

Fast Cars was rocking! A great song, and despite the fact that most people in the audience had probably never heard it, they all seemed to enjoy it, as it was a really fun and upbeat performance.

I love U2, and they can do no wrong in my book, but did it seem to anyone else that Bono made an awful lot of mistakes tonight?

-he couldn't figure out how to start Yahweh
-I've never heard it before, but since he apologized, I guess he messed up the opera bit after Sometimes
-he managed to come in way late for a line in 40
-plus a number of others that I'm too tired to remember

Don't get me wrong, it was a great show, and minor mistakes like those just make a concert seem more "true".

Oh well, at least he didn't have to resort to the lyric sheet tonight.

Hmm maybe Bono has trouble finding his rhythm as such when the setlist is less predictable?

I hate to be a wet blanket here, but this is probably the worst U2 show I've seen. It was, in a word, weak. I don't think that the band had a whole lot of energy last night, and I really think that it's because the show has remained basically unchanged since it opened in San Diego.

One of the ironic things was that the performance of Pride was on its way to being a highlight of the night...until the band seemed to cut it short. Streets was good, as usual. Don't get me wrong, there were very, very high points -- City of Blinding Lights, Bad, The Electric Co., to name probably my top three songs from last night...but the rest of the time the band seemed uninspired.

The "war trilogy" that I was so high on back in May fell flatter than a pancake. Some of that may be personal, but some of it might just be that the band really wasn't behind it in the same way.

I suppose that when one has started to see many shows on the same tour, though, the weaker ones are a letdown...

knox said:
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but this is probably the worst U2 show I've seen. It was, in a word, weak. I don't think that the band had a whole lot of energy last night, and I really think that it's because the show has remained basically unchanged since it opened in San Diego.

... :huh:

Are you sure you went to the right show? Look at the setlist! Then compare it to the night before. Then to the first Toronto show. Then to U2's last North American set, Boston III in May. Then to night one in San Diego. The differences, by U2's standards, are startling.

BAD opening the encore? That has NEVER happened before. And the fourth ever performance of Fast Cars! A rare OOTS, the sixth WGRYWH of tour - I could go on.

Yep, this set has so stayed the same since March. :|

knox said:

One of the ironic things was that the performance of Pride was on its way to being a highlight of the night...until the band seemed to cut it short. Streets was good, as usual. Don't get me wrong, there were very, very high points -- City of Blinding Lights, Bad, The Electric Co., to name probably my top three songs from last night...but the rest of the time the band seemed uninspired.

The "war trilogy" that I was so high on back in May fell flatter than a pancake. Some of that may be personal, but some of it might just be that the band really wasn't behind it in the same way.

I suppose that when one has started to see many shows on the same tour, though, the weaker ones are a letdown...

Axver, I don't think Knox was complaining about the set list, but rather the lack of energy by the band.

I have to agree with knox. Bono seemed "off" or :drunk: or.......something.

I thought the set list was just "eh"

I was actually bored during bullet. yes, I said it. I was bored at a U2 show. When I looked around, others were too. :|

I was on the rail just to the right of the tip.

Axver, I understand that some songs have changed, but the overwhelming majority of the show feels exactly the same as it did back in May. They still kill the show's full-steam-ahead momentum when they play The Ocean. And except for switching in Ms. Sarajevo (which is better on the record) for Running to Stand Still and the addition of Yahweh in the middle (a song that almost sucks as badly as The Ocean), There is an entire block of songs that are EXACTLY the same:

Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
(Yahweh)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday (gets more uninspiring every time it's played)
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still/Ms. Sarajevo
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

AND THEY STILL PLAY ELEVATION.

This show needs a three month hiatus so this band can learn to play their good songs again. Anything off of Pop. Wire. Exit. Something....

And there's still the fact that the band is playing with zero energy, at least that's how it seems.

The funny thing was that a lot of the crowd was really into it...I dunno what the experience would have been like without that.

knox said:
Axver, I understand that some songs have changed, but the overwhelming majority of the show feels exactly the same as it did back in May. They still kill the show's full-steam-ahead momentum when they play The Ocean. And except for switching in Ms. Sarajevo (which is better on the record) for Running to Stand Still and the addition of Yahweh in the middle (a song that almost sucks as badly as The Ocean), There is an entire block of songs that are EXACTLY the same:

Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
(Yahweh)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday (gets more uninspiring every time it's played)
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still/Ms. Sarajevo
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

AND THEY STILL PLAY ELEVATION.

This show needs a three month hiatus so this band can learn to play their good songs again. Anything off of Pop. Wire. Exit. Something....

And there's still the fact that the band is playing with zero energy, at least that's how it seems.

The funny thing was that a lot of the crowd was really into it...I dunno what the experience would have been like without that.
well maybe if most of the crowd were into it, maybe that says something? maybe its just the people who find the lack of energy, and not the actual band, from what i seen of them in europe and on the bootlegs i have from that leg, there is plenty of energy and playfulness, and from what i heard about toronto and the first chigago show, the energy was still there, people constantly blame the band, when really it could them themselves that arent feeling it as much as they used to

Last edited:
Wow, how depressing.:| It seems like the people at the setlist party were having a better time than the people at the show.:huh:

I thought the band was in rare form. They were loose as hell; from arriving at the arena late to playing very late, they seemed to be really enjoying themselves and the crowd. I've never seen them laugh or smile at each other so much. During 'Horses' Bono even quipped "You were late Larry" on a drum fill. Fast cars was a non-setlist addition and entertained all with Bono's attempt at Flamenco dancing, and nobody is listing the "Do you think I'm Sexy" snippet before Elevation!! Everybody around me at the tip of the eclipse was cracking up. 'Bad/First Time is an instant classic. I think well'll be hearing this very often during the rest of the tour. WOWY was played without Bono on guitar, "They won't let me play guitar...for many good reasons."
If you we're hoping to hear ZooStation or Pop songs I can understand being a little disappointed, but I loved every second of last night. A heartfelt show for sure and when is the last time they did the "Bono leaves his hat on the mikestand during 40 and Larry puts it on as he leaves." bit?

Yeah, don't let my wet-blanketness distract from the fact that Bad-For The First Time was amazing. :drool:

like I said, there were some great points...but it just didn't seem as good as the four other shows I saw in Chicago during the first leg. I did notice the extra-playfullness, but the show itself is lacking, and the energy doesn't seem to be in the songs.

The crowd energy struck me as being the "I'm drunk and lovin' it!" variety.

Question on the video / lighting aspects of the show...any different than the first North American leg? Confetti during COBL, Human Rights smokescreen video, flags during WTSHNN, walking video guy on SYCMIOYO?

I was at Chicago III and IV and am curious if they've tweaked that aspect.

but surley to god some of the people on here who claim there was energy werent the "drunk and loving it" types?. all i am saying is its harsh to blame the band all the time, sometimes its the person watching that isnt into it as much

also just watched a clip of discoteque from night 1 and my oh my theres a shows load of energy in that one song alone

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
but surley to god some of the people on here who claim there was energy werent the "drunk and loving it" types?. all i am saying is its harsh to blame the band all the time, sometimes its the person watching that isnt into it as much

Yeah... or the person could have been in a poor section of the arena, where others were drunk or just not into the show. That can sometimes make it appear like it's not a knockout show.

Not that I mean anyone in particular here, but it's something I've seen- obviously it's subjective; I know people who have had two very different concert experiences at the same show, and I think it does come down to who happens to be around you and other variables.

oliveu2cm said:

Yeah... or the person could have been in a poor section of the arena, where others were drunk or just not into the show. That can sometimes make it appear like it's not a knockout show.

Not that I mean anyone in particular here, but it's something I've seen- obviously it's subjective; I know people who have had two very different concert experiences at the same show, and I think it does come down to who happens to be around you and other variables.
well you made the point better than i did :)

personally i find it harsh to blame the band all the time, when its pretty obvious there are a few that had the times of there lives, and to just call them the "drunk and loving it types" is abit harsh, they could of just been having the time of there lives for all we know

I was at the show last night and I wasn't drunk and loved it! lol. Personally I thought it was actually better than the May 10th concert I went to. The whole band was really living it up and Bono doing "Do you think Im sexy" was just too funny! LOL. I was behind the stage again in the same section and people around me were really into it. A lot of us were dancing and screaming it was an incredible show!!!! And omgggg the encore how classic was that?! When Larry put Bono's hat on the people around me just exploded. And I was one of the lucky ones to be briefly spotlighted by Bono's flashlight :D. Thought I would die of pure happiness right then,lol. Oh and I love the way that ALL of the band members even Larry were acknowleding those behind the stage. The show was just one that was not to be missed in my opinion. Even though I was insanely jealous of the girl who got to dance with Bono,lol. I still enjoyed their interaction along with the song. Given the chance to experience this same show all over again I would do it in a heartbeat!

Just got back. What an amazing show last night! I have never seen so much energy from the band. They were just having a fun time. I was a little dissapointed that i didn't get into the ellipse. it was the first time ever that i hadn't been in the "ellipse/heart", but ended up about 5 people back on edge's side right outside the rail.

highlights:

COBL - great opener!

Vertigo - rocked!

fuck it. the whole show was a highlight!

I was there on the 20th and 21st. I admit the 20th show was better since I had GA (first time), but I like the setlist better and I felt more energy from that show. Yesterday show was good in the beginning to me, but I felt it dragged a bit towards the middle. It didn't seem as smooth as the 20th show. I like the Edge story Bono told about the future. Thank was nice. I must admit, the highlight of the show was the end....how they exited....man that was freaking awesome. I was sitting at the 332 section and some people left before the first encore and I noticed lots of people left early this show. It kinda made me wonder why??? Maybe they felt it wasn't that great or up to par......but still it's the last show!

I think the 20th show was better, then yesterdays and then the May 12th show. Hopefully, I get to see them one last time out in Vegas.

I would post a link to my pics, but I'm not allowed. :(

Last edited:
Believe last night's ending is going to go down into U2 history. There were some people in my section too that left early. We were sitting in 226 so you could see people on the stage doing stuff to prepare for more songs. Puzzled me why they didn't want to stick around. I thought another great part of the show was ABOY. Personally I always liked the song and I thought it was pretty energetic last night.

Fast Cars was on the Setlist, although it was going to open the 2nd encore and was moved up to close the 1st encore.
This show still had lots of energy and was one of the better ones I've seen.

I was very disappointed with the Sept. 21 show. Very uninspiring performance. Soooo depressing!!!!

I do agree that Sept 21 was better than the 22 in some ways. There seemed to be a bit more energy at the first show. Though, the 2nd shows last 3 songs were amazing! Unexpected and awesome! Plus, I had never heard FAST CARS before, and both the song with the heavy beat plus Bono dancing with that girl :drool: put shivers up and down my body. I was so jealous!!! Either way, I enjoyed the show since they only come around every 4 years. Plus, I love them so much, and any time to see them in person is awesome. Can't wait for my first GA experience this weekend!!! Yipee!!!

a week later:

out of the 8 U2 shows i've seen this one ranks 2nd on my list, only behind Chicago Elevation 10-15-01.

Back
Top Bottom