21st July Milan - San Siro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I promise I will!

27 days to the show! WOW!! Getting closer... we're getting closer!

I passed near San Siro Stadium this morning... the trucks are there!! They're going to build the stage!

Yeah!!

Cool! People are camping in front of the stadium! hi hi hi

People, are we ready for the show???

It's so GREAT Milan will be filmed for the DVD!!

ehy beautiful girl, don't forget to phone to your friend Smeagol!!! Surely he will phone you from Rome. What do you think about orchestra?

OH MY GOD!!
Won't forget ya, guy!!!!!

sounds soooooo good!
So exciting! we'll see if your theory will be right.

LoL

So... a few hours to go!!
OMG!
The day is wonderful: sunny, hot, blue sky! Hope tonight there will be a full moon as shining as the one of yesterday night!

San Siro... I'm coming!!

I'll post a review later on.
For now, I can tell that It was stunning... energy, screams all around, the volume, the choir, the lights... Oh, so beautiful!

There was a splendid moonlight -- Bono was so exciting about it!
it was incredible, I'm still shaking.
he was so tender, speaking italian and try to let us understand what he was saying!!!
WOW!

He went around with a piece of sheet reading "Bono= sexy person" and it was so funny while he pronounced Bono as we Italians do!!

And the prayer for the London victims was so touching!

Don't believe anyone who tell they have lost IT. They got IT. And they shine! Bono's voice was impressive, powerful, rich... Made the whole stadium follow him!

And then... ADAM approached axactly the part of the Stadium where I was! And it was the extreme opposite of where he uses to stay while on stage! He just look so amazing!

Yes, I am very exciting. It was the first time I saw U2 live.. it was worth wait for it!

Very great show. Even if the setlist was the same I heard Miss Sarajevo and All I Want Is You and Original Of The Species for the first time this show. 25 songs! Got a great spot by Edge's catwalk, but there was a very rowdy crowd, so it was hard to maintain it!

It was a great crowd though. After With Or Without You they just kept on singing for minutes. Amazing audience. Believe it or not, I reckon it was better than Dublin 1.

God Part III said:
Very great show. Even if the setlist was the same I heard Miss Sarajevo and All I Want Is You and Original Of The Species for the first time this show. 25 songs! Got a great spot by Edge's catwalk, but there was a very rowdy crowd, so it was hard to maintain it!

It was a great crowd though. After With Or Without You they just kept on singing for minutes. Amazing audience. Believe it or not, I reckon it was better than Dublin 1.
glad u had an amazing time :) U2 ROCK

God Part III said:
:yes:

You were a great audience!

Thanks!!!

I send my review to the administrator of this site, dunno if it will be post. So, here it is:

U2 live in Milan - July 21, 2005.

What a night! July 21, San Siro Stadium could have been lighted just by the energy of the fan that were there (so many!) and of four Irishmen that shouted, played, gave all they can to the audience and lead us all through a memorable night, so full of funny, touching and hard moments, that will be fix in my memory for a very long time.
This city, Milan, is at the moment scared by the menace of terrorism -- as a lot of other cities in the world. But the night of July 21 we were all together with one aim: celebrate a common joy and say goodbye, for now, to our band-of-hope.
The stage was so big and the field of San Siro was getting more and more crowded as the hours went by!!

At 18.30 Feeder starter playing, followed by Ash, while the public just rehearsed waves and shouts. My sector (first ring green) was also playing with a big beach ball!
Short after 21, the moment arrived. You have to know this was my first U2 show and I was a little scared. I mean, I heard some other review and not all were that enthusiastic. I dreaded that going to the show could, for some reason, made me love less this band.
I just want to say that the opposite happened. Now, I know with no doubts U2 will always be my favourite band!
As I was in a point where you could see the part from whom U2 took the stage, I was so lucky to see them arriving and approaching the stage. I shouted as loud as I could when I saw U2 going on stage. It was incredible! They took their places and Bono said hello, before kick starting with “Vertigo”. Bono and some staff members spread water to the people close to the stage, who were jumping and shouted and waving. Just after that, Bono started walking on stage and said: “Stanotte, noi facciamo l’amore” (tonight we make love!) and grab a banner reading “Bono=sexy person”. He walked for a little while reading out loud the banner and then tried to pronounce his name as we Italians do -- and that was sooooo funny!!! Than he took a camera from one fan and made a pic of them before returning it! All the stadium was laughing as if we were going out mad! While we were trying to understand what the man dressed in red and black leather was doing, the band dived into the past with “I will follow” and “Electric Co.”, followed by a great Elevation, as usual played with a long part without drums.

Than came the time for Edge to deliver his gift, playing the piano for “New Year’s Day”. “Beautiful day” followed, perfectly sung with just one voice from the fans.
Joshua lovers had their great moment with a wonderful “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”, that turned into an emotional “All I want is you”. Bono pulled a girl on stage and dance and played with her for a long time. Even if I was not that close to the stage, I could see she was so shy and shocked for what was happening!
After some instants, to let us clap our hands, one of the most brilliant part of the show arrived with “City of blinding lights”. The light show was fantastic: so many colours, so many changes and flashes… wow! And from were I stood I could see the great wave made by the arms directed to the stage during the choir “Oh you look so beautiful tonight”.
A tender version of “Miracle Drug” was performed after that, dedicated to “the scientists that keep us alive”.
Time for going toward the emotional “Sometimes you can’t make it on your own”, with Bono hitting the highest notes perfectly. The song ended with Bono singing “Vedi il mare quanto è bello/Spira tanto sentimento”, that is a traditional song, linked to the area of Neapolis. (It means more or less: Look at the beautiful sea/It gives you such a feeling). I wonder why he sung that -- you know, there’s no sea in Milan… -- but the stadium approved and made all Milan knowing that with an incredible shout!
Then U2 lead us through a speed and joyful “Love and peace or else”: all the stadium was dancing and shaking around.
I read reviews of other shows telling about the “social” part of the show, but I couldn’t imagine it was that powerful! Larry left his place for a short while and went to the extreme part of the cat walk on the right, followed by Bono, while Edge and Adam went on the left part.
Bono covered his eyes with the white strip reading “Coexist”, and with the symbols of the three monotheistic religion, Christian, Jew and Muslim. “Sunday Bloody Sunday” was irresistible: I’m personally connected to this song and having it played live, with the part “no more, no more” really took me to another place! Bono also spoke a little about the importance of making religions and people coexist in peace, and called out for Father Abraham to look to all his sons “Jesus, Jew, Mohamed … is true”. Also “Bullet the blue sky”, with snippets of “Johnny comes marching home” and “The hands that built America” was great, with Bono that played a drum with an incredible strength and had us silent for a while, as he was using all his force to strike the white drum.
The night had fallen on San Siro, and U2 people were trying to absorb the great moment we just saw, when Edge and Adam lead us through a slow and sweat “Miss Sarajevo”. You can’t imagine the reaction of the crowd when Bono performed the part in Italian. I couldn’t believe my heard when he hit the highest tenor notes usually sung by Pavarotti. I had a look to the people around me: lights and tears everywhere, arms entwined, head against heads: it was wonderful.
When the song ended, a long applause broke down, then the great screen behind the stage show a woman reading the declaration of human rights. I am a member of the Italian Section of Amnesty International, so I think you can understand my feelings of that moment!
U2 may have thought it was enough for tears, so the show speeds up with a great “Pride (in the name of love)”, that really was a duet between Bono and the fans -- at a certain point, Bono almost left us alone singing and just looked at us. I am sure he rally enjoyed the moment. The rendition of “Where the streets have no name” thrilled us all, then Bono talked about “a man you knew, and I met once. I gave him my fly shades, and he wears them” and he made an imitation of the face that pope John Paul II made when he wore the sunglasses. Another big applause filled the stadium, as Bono took off the rosary, kissed it and showed it to us, before starting plying the guitar and singing
“One”, that was dedicated to the victims of the attack in London of July 7. towards the end of the song, Bono took out and wore a t-shirt with the symbol of the London Underground: I couldn’t help bursting into tears, while he repeated “Coexist, coexist”.
The lights went of, but just for a couple of minutes: the electric notes of “Zoo station” and “The fly” arrived, while the screen showed a lot of catch phrases and faces of the powerful governor of our countries.
After that, U2 gave us another oh-so-romantic moment with a tender and vibrating “With or without you”. Lights went off again, but just to let the orchestra reach the front of the stage to perform “Original of the species”. This was the only moment that doesn’t went well: maybe it was because of the place where I was, or maybe there was some technical problem, but the only thing we could hear was a too loud guitar and Bono’s voice too much amplified. This is a pity for me, I just hope people nearer to the stage heard it better than me!
After that, Larry, Edge and Adam took the power and gave life to “All because of you”, while the crowd started again to dance, shout and jump.
All of a sudden, a wonderful full moon showed up in the sky: it was so luminous and big that it caught Bono’s attention. He said: “wow, look, there’s the moon, how you say it…” the crowd suggest the world “Luna” and Bono repeated it and said “la luna… bellissima”. This was the start to the emotional ending part that started with a version of “Jahweh” full of love and tendress, that really sent me knock down.
This could have been a wonderful end, but U2 wanted to give more, so they performed “Vertigo” again. Before leaving the stage, Bono thanked the people who had sent messages for the campaign to stop poverty, and the screen showed some of the messages people sent with their cell phones, before the red writing “The end” appeared.
Beautiful, energetic, strong, touching, funny, sad, moving to tears, romantic: a wonderful show, sustained also by an audience that gave all its love and strength. I am so happy you too will see this show thanks to the DVD!!!
As people left the stage you could see big smiles and happiness everywhere, and you could hear the “ooooooh ooooooooooh ooooooohh” of Vertigo repeated from one group of people to the other!

Ps: to all Larry lovers: no, he never smiled during the show!

ps2: Can't remember during what songs, but Bono kicked a BIG white beach ball with the writing "Vertigo" at a certain point!!! Sooooo funny!!!
:wink: :wink:

nice review lady luck :up: glad you all had a good time.

here's a funny review from u2tours.

Review by: Davide Kontoopolis

My English is great now i go to see the u2. I learn words, bloddy, lafing gas, eletrik.

i love show. greece upset u2 no come. they come to thessaloniki last and beauty . they play beuty song

i neveer hear song that bono sing opera. first time, i like

i also like love and peace

bullet

yahweh

vertigo (why play 2)

and the best:
pride

i love you soooo much u2

:happy:

lady luck said:

Than came the time for Edge to deliver his gift, playing the piano for “New Year’s Day”. “Beautiful day” followed, perfectly sung with just one voice from the fans.
Joshua lovers had their great moment with a wonderful “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”, that turned into an emotional “All I want is you”. Bono pulled a girl on stage and dance and played with her for a long time. Even if I was not that close to the stage, I could see she was so shy and shocked for what was happening!

Thanks for the great review Ladyluck!!

was this (shy) girl the one with her pants (almost) down her knees??:eyebrow:

I dind't notice her troubles with the underwear, but she was so nice with Bono. she wasn't aggressive or vulgar. I think she just had waited in the sun too long and she lost some weight...

It happened to me, too!

greety said:

Thanks for the great review Ladyluck!!

was this (shy) girl the one with her pants (almost) down her knees??:eyebrow:

I think you should give the girl a break, have you seen how they get manhandled by security as they are pulled to the stage? Probably the cause for the jeans slipping.

Lady luck, great review, sounds like you had a great night!

Did the crowd 'sing' the guitar parts??

I went to the Bruce Springsteen show in Milan 2003 and the crowd were amazing...singing along to the guitar in My Love Will Not Let You Down!! In the DVD, you can see Bruce and the band just amazed at the response :wink:

I heard people in my zone singing guitar parts, but also the drums....

but our best are the oh oh oh part in songs like vertigo, pride, elevation and city...

larry

Yeah larry never smiled at all during the berlin gig, and from what i'm reading from other reviews/sites, hes never smiled at other shows. I'm Wondering if hes enjoying it?.

Or perhaps his back is hurting him too much (he has back problems).

Could this be the end of U2 touring, cause if hes not enjoying it, he will quit touring and if he quits, then the rest of the band will quit. I hope not though.

he never smiles because he's focused on playing i believe. in Poland he smiled twice. once when he made mistake while playing vertigo at the end of the show and then again when they were leaving the stage.besides i don't remember him smiling on any of their tours even at the time when his back was alright.

Porter said:
once when he made mistake while playing vertigo at the end of the show and then again when they were leaving the stage.

Really? Wow, I've never heard Larry make a mistake. Not that I want him to, but that's quite interesting.

actually he didn't make a mistake. it was that part of Vertigo when band stops and Bono sings-'just give me what I want and no one gets hurt'.Bono delayed that a bit and as a result Bono was in different timing than Larry who was ready to kick back in the song.So in fact it wasn't his mistake but at least we saw him smiling for a while.

Re: larry

macphisto22 said:
Yeah larry never smiled at all during the berlin gig, and from what i'm reading from other reviews/sites, hes never smiled at other shows. I'm Wondering if hes enjoying it?.

Or perhaps his back is hurting him too much (he has back problems).

Could this be the end of U2 touring, cause if hes not enjoying it, he will quit touring and if he quits, then the rest of the band will quit. I hope not though.

Larry doesn't smile to stay young. If you use to smile, lines will appear on your face...

I'm joking, of course, but this could be an explanation

lady luck said:
Beautiful, energetic, strong, touching, funny, sad, moving to tears, romantic: a wonderful show, sustained also by an audience that gave all its love and strength. I am so happy you too will see this show thanks to the DVD!!!

DVD?

They are making a DVD of it?

great review....

For a moment I almost felt like I was almost there, almost....
I really hope I get to see them someday live

I always heard they area a great live band, but that sounded fantastic... wow....

25 songs.... that' alot :D

Back
Top Bottom