21st February 2006 Sao Paulo - Morumbi Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, now for a brief report about my second and last :( concert in São Paulo. Again I had stands tickets, but this times around our group of 10 friends and U2 fans, all gaúchos (that´s how people from my State is called) was split in two, for 5 had GA tickets. I had to stick with stands again because of my 12 years-old daughter, it would be more safe and comfortable for her.

We got in line later than the previous day, at 10:30 am. We were all very tired, but as time passed we became more and more excited. We would see U2 live again! Nothing better than that. So many brazilian fans could get tickets for only one concert and we got for the two :).

This time around we had tickets for the opposite side of the stands, comparing to the previous night. That was great because we had a completely new perspective of the event. We chose a more central spot and more high in the stands, so that we could see that whole huge screen and also the action in the b-stages. It was very good, can´t complain at all.

So again our hearts started beating faster to the sound of Arcade Fire´s Wake Up, everybody in that stadium singing the song. Then the party started, with City of Blinding Lights and Vertigo. Bono said in portuguese something like "yesterday we went live on TV for millions, tonight it´s own little private party". An it was indeed. The band seemed more free, again in top form, but they didn´t have to worry about the TV cameras anymore.

Half way through the concert my voice was gone, LOL, but I kept trying to sing despite the pain, I wouldn´t have a chance to sing with Bono again so soon, LOL. When the first chords of The First Time were played I closed my eyes for a brief moment, I couldn´t believe I was there. Then a girl was pulled up on stage, she had a sign written "lift me up", or something. Her name was Desirê, which means desire and she begged Bono and Edge to play her song, she even showed Bono her ID, so that he would believe her, LOL. The thing is, he wanted someone to play guitar with them, and the girl could not, so they improvised an acoustic Desire with the girl singing with Bono. It was so cool.

Beautiful Day got those 80 thousand people (reports are that Morumbi stadiium were packed, more than the previous night) singing and dancing like waves in the sea, it was amazing. Then his blessed voice in Sometimes echoing through the stadium, his heart going out to his father, so moving again.

The three "war" songs were stunning again, this time around I was closer to the b-stage where Bono plays (better saying destroys) that drum kit during Love and Peace or Else, and where he lit the firework in the end of Bullet the Blue Sky. People seemed fascinated by all the action going on in that spot, really. The combo Pride/Streets/One again was perfect.

During The Fly another girl was pulled up on stage, it was kinda funny, because I guess we´ll never know if Bono got confused and chose the wrong song, LOL, because the next would be Mysterious Ways. Anyways, this girl was so cool, she stayed there enjoying her private show, sat in front of Larry´s drum kit, lucky girl :).

The last encore was shorter than the previous night, but we got Yahweh, an amazing thing to hear 80 thousand voices singing the name of God, and then All I Want is You, with the first verses of Love Rescue Me in the end. Rumours had it that Gilberto Gil, our Culture Minister and Grammy winner singer, who was in attendance that night, would perform with them, but it didn´t happen. Nonetheless, it was another awesome, perfect night, a night where my friends and I got to really dream awake. All we wanted to scream out loud in the end was Obrigado U2! Thank you U2!

MT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom