19th November Atlanta - Philips Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully this won't be too long!

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. I Will Follow
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Beautiful Day
7. Original of the Species
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. Love and Peace or Else
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Bullet the Blue Sky
12. Miss Sarajevo
13. Pride
14. Where the Streets Have No Name
15. One
16. MLK

17. Until the End of the World
18. Mysterious Ways
19. With or Without You
20. The First Time (acoustic)
21. Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (acoustic)
22. Bad

Last night was my first U2 concert, and it was better than I could ever have imagined! I don't know if every show is this great, but they were just on fire. The whole arena was singing and everyone was standing and dancing, even in the upper levels (where I was). Actually, my section seemed to be the lamest in the whole arena at first...some people didn't even stand when the band came on! But I was dancing and singing anyway and soon most of my section was too.

City of Blinding Lights is a great opener. From the opening chords to Wake Up until the end of COBL, the whole arena was just in another dimension, it was crazy. Vertigo and Elevation were good for getting the crowd pumped up, but when the first notes to I Will Follow were played the place completely exploded. Then Bono talked a little and went into Still Haven't Found. It's never been my favorite song, but live it was definitely one of the highlights of the night. There's nothing like singing the verses and especially the chorus (over and over) at the top of your lungs, with 20,000 other people. It was practically a spiritual experience! :wink:

Beautiful Day was also great live. The album version is overproduced and overplayed in my opinion, but hearing it in an arena with all the lights and everyone singing was pure bliss. Original of the Species was nice live, they did it with Edge on guitar and the other guy on keyboards. I did notice nearly everyone sat down for this one (understandable) and quite a lot of people seemed to take it as time for a bathroom/beer break. Still, it was a good performance. Sometimes was great, Bono hit that note and then some. The Love and Peace-Sunday Bloody Sunday-Bullet the Blue Sky "political statement" was well-done and not too obnoxious or anything, I thought. It was hilarious to see Headband Bono banging away at that drum, and the guitar work on Bullet was excellent (I have to disagree with people who say it's "tired" on this tour). Sunday Bloody Sunday wasn't probably the best performance of it ever, but the crowd still loved it.

Miss Sarajevo was an absolute highlight of the evening. I'd heard some rough audio of it from this tour, but nothing prepared me for how well Bono hit those notes and how long he held them. It was moving. After they roled 6 Human Rights articles, and when they got to the one about torture, the whole arena cheered extremely loudly. If U2 thought playing anywhere other than NYC or California meant they were playing to a bunch of rednecks (which their touring schedule kind of implies), they were definitely wrong! :wink:

Pride is probably one of my least favorite songs played tonight, but it was so much fun to sing along to...we kept the oh-oh-oh's going right through the start of Streets. Streets. I can't describe how amazing the entire arena was when they played this song. And when they flashed the lights at the bridge, it was definitely the best moment of the concert up to that point. When it was over I was just thinking "I need to see more U2 concerts." Bono talked a little before One and everyone got out their cell phones which was cool. I thought his speech was brief and pretty tactful, and he got some cheers when he mentioned it has more members than the NRA! The addition of MLK was nice and got a lot of cheers.

I was excited to see the "zoo" encore videos with images such as Michael Jackson, Bush, Clinton, etc along with the zoo baby. UTEOTW was wild, some more great guitar work and the whole place was just rocking out, definitely a highlight. I was so glad they played Mysterious Ways. It was out of the set for a while, but this being one of my favorite songs live (mp3s up til now obviously), I had really hoped they'd play it. He brought a girl named Dana up on stage and she danced really well. Then they went into With or Without You. On mp3s and DVD and stuff, this one always seems to be sort of weak, but being there it was just amazing. The only thing I wished they would've done would be to sing the "shine like stars" verse at the end.

Next were two acoustic songs. My mom (she was my date) said I looked like I was about to cry when they played this. Even though I adore this song, the live mp3s I'd heard seemed kind of weak. I wasn't looking forward to this that much and hoped I'd get something else honestly. But being there, it was so so beautiful. A guy near us was singing it to his girlfriend. :cute:

Stuck in a Moment acoustic was an absolute highlight of the show for me. It's overproduced on the album and always kinda bugged me, but acoustic it was perfect. It was funny cos Bono kind of missed the start of the song and everyone sort of laughed. Anyway, it was great.

But nothing at all in the show could compare to the final song, Bad. I literally started to cry when they played this, it's my favorite song ever and means so much to me. It was an incredible version of the song, I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it. It was never a single, yet every single person in the arena was singing every word at the top of their lungs. He snippeted People have the power, which worked well. The whole show could've been crap and it would've been worth my money for just this one song. This song is as essential as Streets, in my opinion.

Overall, the guys surpassed my expectations for the concert. Bono was able to strut around and preach a little, but he was still very funny and relatable and really identified with the audience. Just little things, like his intentional mispronounciation of Piedmont Park (which should be pronounced "peedmont"!) The lights were great, the crowd was great, and most of all, the music was amazing.

Thanks guys for giving us such a great show! :heart:

I can't wait for audio of this to pop up. :shifty:

Wow

My first U2 show and I'm really glad I made it. :applaud:

Atlanta tickets were hard to get. But I made a last minute
decision, the clouds parted, the sun came out, and I had a
fantastic evening, one of the best nights I've had in a
long time. Having great seats helped-- in the club area,
near the stage-- but high enough not to require earplugs.

Awesome rocking show. The energy stayed high all night,
and the only "people leaving to drink moment" was during
Original of the Species which is a song I don't
particularly like either. I think it's the line "I'll give
you everything you want, except what you want" that doesn't
draw me in.

I am really glad I experienced this. You have to be there
in person to understand the feeling. And the one
descriptive word that jumps out more than any others is
JOY. It was so much fun!

There was no preaching: really, I was surprised. Just
gratitude--- a "look at what we have accomplished" kind of
attitude, and if the "and we can do more" was left hanging,
it wasn't accusatory in any way, more celebratory. Bono
saying "this is what we have done so far, here's the baton
Atlanta, America".

Besides, thanking the military makes up for the anti-
military stance of his songs. He's acknowledging the
service of the people while condemning, in his songs, the
acts of violence against people.

And yet...there we were, all together, already One, feeling
it, living it (Atlanta could be compared to New York in
terms of co-exist...many Christians, but also the gay
capital, the city of Atlanta has more African Americans
than white Europeans, heavy mexican influence, many
asians... in other words, "co-exist" is, for the most part, a done deal here.

"Can you hear us coming, Lord, knocking on your
door"...that's a great snippet, no matter what your
religious persuasion (or not). Powerful.

Sang Happy Birthday to Ted Turner.

Bono did add "only grace will let me in" (paraphrasing) at
the end of "The First Time". I spanked him in my mind.
Sorry Bono. But really, it doesn't matter.

We all have our own journey based on our beLIEfs.

Personal impresssions of the band--
Bono--masculine. His type of charisma will never go
out of style
Adam--permeates kindness, lots of smiles
Larry--focused, seemingly impervious... but he doesn't
miss a thing
Edge--on the oppposite side of me, but could still feel his
intensity

I was impressed with the U2 fans too--lots of friendly people
whether you are with your family or alone, they are chatty,
warm and good spirited (those I encountered).

Something I found interesting--a lot of U2's songs are
somber and when I listen to them at home they evoke a
feeling of sadness, or a feeling of yearning. MLK, which
they played last night, is such a somber hymn, with much
personal meaning. But at the concert, the songs had the
opposite affect--they all felt like a celebration-- even
his goodbye to his father.

The official review in the Atlanta paper describes Bono as
"serious as a biopsy report" but I didn't get that
impression while I was there. I got the impression that
the band is having a blast on stage. And if they are not,
they are all awesome actors, consummate professionals.

Even during Bad, one of my all time favorite "I can't take
it anymore" songs, which I have felt to my core-- while it
was playing, I felt joyful, happy to be alive-- and I'm
sure that's partly because when you are in a large arena
with fellow fans screaming the words, how can you feel
anything but happy? It's cathartic.

The girl he brought on stage during Mysterious Ways was
adorable. At first, I thought I was going to witness a
fall, but she got another push and made it up. She had an
awkward moment climbing back down too, but while she was
up, she shined. After a moment, she let go, and she could
really dance. My husband was all smiles. :wink:

I think it's funny how he plays with the girls just before
he picks one...reaches out, then withdraws, leaves, then
comes back...he's such a tease. But, what a face! He could
get away with it even if he wasn't a rock star.

More about the songs--Love and Peace is fantastic live, and
if I had any complaints about the mix, it was that the
vocals or drums weren't loud enough in certain parts. But
in this song, you feel the drums, the pounding energy, and
by the end, you're ready to take on the world. "Or else"
indeed. :mac:

I could say more, but I already wrote a book. My final
closing thoughts--no matter the quest to get there, it's
worth it. At least once.

Last edited:
This was supposed to be placed under Nov 19-Atlanta reviews. I have no idea why a new thread was created...perhaps a moderator could move it.

Thanks.

It was an awesome show! I went to Boston 3 on the first leg and that was awesome being the finale of the leg, this show definitely ranks with it! Going by myself worked out pretty good, had a reserved seat in 118 just off Edge's side of the stage, ramp was 15 feet from me:) There was another person by themselves in front of me who I wound up talking to for quite a bit... he was clicking away with his digital a bit, had a Croke Park 2005 tshirt on... anyone around here? My only gripe was with the rest of the section, with the exception of myself and this other guy, no one else sang or really danced along or anything... stood up, but none got really into it, oh well it's hit and miss I guess. Edge was having guitar problems on SBS, and MW: on SBS Dallas gave Edge his Vertigo telecaster (blonde color) which is in standard tuning, but SBS is a half-step down, had to switch mid-song; on MW he kept adjusting volume or tone, but Edge took it all in stride. Adam was cool as always, and played keyboard on COBL, hadn't noticed that before. MLK was a treat, Edge changed the chords, going to F instead of E minor. The setlist was an awesome selection, WOWY was awesome! Closing with Bad was a great end. Although does anyone think they walked off stage kind of quietly, not really saying bye to the crowd? Institute was a great opener, however there were a couple older fans next to me who seemed embarassed by the "no sex in your violence" line when Gavin pulled out Everything Zen, definitely liked how Gavin worked the crowd running around the ellipse, his guitar abuse seemed pointless though. Overall it was an energetic show and Bono's voice was on from the start! Can't wait for 12/10 in Charlotte to get here!!!

I've been to many U2 shows, and this was one of the best I've seen. I've seen U2 in Atlanta 8 times now, and to be honest, the success there has been kind of hit or miss over the years. Last night was amazing, though, and each time I though that the band had pulled off the best song of the night, they would simply raise the bar with the next performance. It's no wonder, then, that I completely agree that Bad was the very best (and last) song of the night.

Seeing U2 in Chicago, NY, and Philly on the 1st leg was great. It's hard for me to believe that the best show I'll remember from this tour will be from Atlanta, but it will be, and I wish U2 had waited for the DVD recording. I think the difference has much more to do with how tight the band are playing now versus back in the Spring, which goes along with what many others have said.

While I can't say the energy from last night was more than I've heard on some of the European Vertigo bootlegs, I can say that the crowd energy, sound quality, Bono's voice, song choice, etc., was much better in Atlanta than it was on any of the 1st leg shows I saw.

What's sad is that the R.O.W. might see the Chicago DVD and assume U.S. shows are all "2nd rate" when compared to Europe, but I think that it takes any band a while on tour before they hit their stride, and U2 have certainly hit their stride on this 3rd leg. While I simply love the Milan II CD and I'm impressed with the crowd, I would trade it in a heartbeat for a good bootleg from last night's show in Georgia!

Hint Hint to Neutral or others known to have many bootlegs...:wink:

Atlanta 2nd Show

I saw U2 in May in New Jersey. Had GA tickets. Great show lots of energy. Came to Atlanta with 3rd level Edge side seats. Great seats. Totally different experience. I was able to see the stage and all of the lights. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I agree with everyone else. How can you not feel like you are on top of the world with 20,000 other people singing with you!! If you have never seen u2 live-----don't knock it till you try it-----what are you waiting for!!!!!
Thanks Bono, Edge, Larry , and Adam for a GREAT DATE on the 19th of November 2005, Hotlanta!!!! Rock on!!!!

Charlotte is 12-12, and I can't wait for St. Louis 12-14.
I LOVED FRiDAY 11-18, but I'm certain from what I've read here that 11-19 blew that away--mainly due to the last song. Of course "Bad" is probably "baddest" because they *don't* play it every night--but it's one I've been pining for.
What great, detailed reflections!!
Yum.
Anu

I am now realizing how awesome my Chicago show was in May... Zoo Station, The Fly, Bad... so glad I got to hear those. I'm still crossing fingers for Wild Horses in Cleveland.

Slane moment

I meant to add that there was a great Slane moment (in Ireland, he did it during Streets), when Bono did not one, but two laps around the elipse running full speed. I'm a couple of years younger than him, and I don't think I could have done that after singing and jumping around all night. What a rush. :wink:

Well i have finally gotten around to reviewing my experience at my first U2 concert, and just let me say it was fantastic!!!outta this world!! and any other adjectives you could put on it , my brother and i struck out for atlanta and we got there about 7:eek:clock, anyway when we got in the venue and an sat down, i started shaking all over i was soooooo excited, my brother said he thought i was going to have a heart attack my pulse was beating so fast, well anyway right at 7:30 the opening act Gavin Rossdales band came on, and most people used it as an excuse to go and get a beer or whatever, but i thought they were pretty good, after their band quit, we had an 10 to 15 minute intermission while the U2 techs finished setting up for U2, suddenly i heard Arcade Fire's music, and you should have heard the roar of the crowd it was deafening!! Atlanta was really ready for our boys , anyway the band hit the stage and city of blinding lights, was the first song they played, so that got everyone up on their feet and ready to party, the stands my brother and i were sitting in started shaking, the place was going off so much, and it didnt stop until Bad.My knees were shaking so much that i had to keep sitting down i couldnt stand up, my brother had to hold me up for most of the show!!!! , I was trying to take pictures and they didnt come out because of the shaking, but i tried, , That night was one of the best of my life, hands down, i cried, i laughed, i was happy, sad, all myriads of emotions crossed that night, and if you are at a U2 concert and dont feel at least some of these emotions something has to be wrong. My personal highlight of the night was 2 songs Miss Sarajevo, Bono hit the high notes perfectly, it was beautiful, and i was finding tears were streaming down my face, and Bad, i had been praying for this ending, for months and i got my wish, I was on a cloud they hadnt named yet, cause i bypassed cloud nine, i was so estatic, another tearful time ensued, my brother said he had never seen so many tears in my eyes that night. Again, one of the best nights of my life.And i want to do it again soon.

Back
Top Bottom