15th December Omaha - Qwest Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guess I'll christen tonight's reviews with some short comments. My first observation - the sound mix was perfect. We were in the middle of the upper level, and the show sounded great - bass, guitar, vocal -- all balanced and the volume was just right.

The crowd on the other hand, was mixed -- the best word I can come up with is "uncertain" -- it seemed like the crowd was just unsure what to do, or how to react. Not completely surprising since this was U2's first venture into Omaha, and my guess is that many were there just to be seen / say they were at the show. SBS seemed to get the best reaction, well into the show; and oddly, Streets did nto generate the typical response -- normally the ellipse is just going off during Streets, not tonight. Last thought on the crowd -- I almost felt bad for the band: Crumbs was awesome, but barely got anyone going.

It seemed like Bono's voice was a bit off early, but after Elevation he seemed to find his stride. Edge was into it tonight, and for the first half of the show or so it seemed like he was doing everything he could to help Bono get the crowd going.

The setlist was good - a bit heavy on the hits versus back catalog material -- I Will Follow was a nice surprise, Crumbs rocked, and the One, All I Want Is You snippet stood out as well.

In sum, a solid show that could have used more energy from the crowd to reach perfection. I sure hope someone taped this show - the combinantion of great sound, a good setlist, and a less than raucous "first timer" crowd should make for an excellent bootleg.

I was on the floor right outside the ellipse, I thought the crowd was HOT all night. AWESOME show! This was my first Vertigo show and I'm completely floored. Kanye was great too. The acoustic Stuck in a Moment was a highlight for me because Bono was literally 4 yards away singing perfectly. I am anxiously awaiting a bootleg of this show. I'm still pumped!!!

1st time

This was my first ever show and I was soooo lucky to be front and center in the ellipse. I enjoyed every second and I am so sad that it is over :( I would love to be able to see whatever they were filming for, if anyone ever finds out. It would be proof to myself that I was actually standing feet from the greatest band in the world!!!!!!!!!!

First off Kayne was bad-ass.

Second U2 amazing!!! I so lucky to have GA and got into the Ellipse for my first Vertigo show!!!

Front row in front of the Edge, here are my photo linx

Remove the spaces:

http :// pg.photos. yahoo. com/ ph/ themunyinn/ my_photos

If the link does not work, try this one:

www. muny inn . com follow the pix linx.

Enjoy!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

My reaction to the Omaha show (from the GA vantage):

1. It was cold outside; the Qwest center accomidated the fans indoors and it was a nice, WARM, friendly wait.

2. From just outside the ellipse the show was amazing; sound was perfect and the energy on the floor was tremendous. It reminded me of the energy circa Elevation... very intense.

3. The band was truly on fire and they were very taken back by the night's events (i.e. the crowd). Having gone to the early Chicago show, I can say (and I am a biased Nebraskan) that this was a better show -- energy wise. The fact that they now have the Vertigo show tempo down pat doesn't hurt, either. Having read an earlier post contradicting this claim, I can't say that I agree with the assertion that people "didn't know what to do". That certainly wasn't the case in my vicinity, however, I have been in some "dead" sections before.

4. In the seats there were many non-concert types straight off the golf course... I would not have pegged most of them for U2 fans, but who can tell these days? If you were in the seats, this could ruin the energy of the show. Most of them were more concerned about beer, former Frat brothers, or how their trophy wives looked.

5. One/All I want is you... beyond words and knowing that Bono sang All I Want Is You at Mrs. Buffet's funeral (in Omaha) made it more special. Note: he also dedicated OOTS to her, as well.

6. Kayne (and I am not a CD owning fan) was the best opener I have seen at a U2 show in 20 years. Hands down. Simply put, he had energy and he (w/ strings, dj, and a boom box) held my attention the entire time... that's a lot more than I can say about previous artists.

7. How good was the show? Here is a testament: The Lincoln music critic has long had a disdain for U2... in fact, I don't know if he has ever praised their efforts. However, his review was glowing and exceptionally well written... this is the best band in the world and Nebraska experienced its finest concert to date. Kudos to all involved.

8. The Buffet family has long aided Bono's causes and this only added to the tone and feel of the evening. Bono is always in fine form; however, on this night, I knew that there was magic in the ether.

Another quick review of Omaha...

This was my first U2 Concert. Had GAs and got a spot on the rail on the right side of the very tip!

I knew what the setlist was going to be like...but like someone else said, once you are there...you completly forget about it.

COBL was wonderful, and I love the intro to VERTIGO (the simple "Hello Hello" repeated until the "UNO DOS TRES CATORCE") Got through ELEVATION and I prepared to calm myself down to hear GLORIA. I love the song but didn't want this energy to end...and suddenly...

I WILL FOLLOW!!!!!! I was sooo thrilled they played a BOY track (too bad no Electric Co) because Boy and Achtung are my favorite albums.

Anyways, the rest of the concert was wonderful, and I loved the All I Want Is You snippet! As far as CRUMBS goes...to me the song is ok, but i am glad they played it instead of Instant Karma.

Anyways, it was one of the best nights ever...Bono gave lots of little Nebraska references in the songs which was neat...and i pray to god its not my last time seeing them in concert.

Also...I HOPE SOMEONE TAPED THIS:drool:

This was only my second U2 show ever. Was at MN in september, and this time was in the lower section by the side of the stage where Edge was. Really close, couldn't have been happier! :cute:

The crowd was electric! When they finished "where the streets have no name, the response from the audience was so strong, Bono had to cover his ears! He looked like he was blown away!
The energy was palpable where we were standing/sitting. So I do believe where you sit can really have an effect on your perception of the show, because if you are in a dead section, like others have mentioned before, (my daughters were in the MN show) you might just end up with a different perception of the whole show, and that is too bad.

1. loved loved loved I WILL FOLLOW surprise! I thought i was going to jump out of my skin. Sheer moment of pure joy!!. I'd been hoping they would play it!

2. Was completely enchanted with Bono's addition of "all I want is you" snippet at the end of One. I believe is the first time ever he sang it on this tour? correct me if I'm wrong. Love that!!!

3. Of course the stories: Bono's dad telling him to take his F..... glasses off when he talked to him, the Sarajevo story/beauty pageant (even though I'd heard it before), the difference the One campaign made, etc... the little girl he brought out of the audience and yelling "no more!!". he's so cute with kids!

4. He blew the house away when singing Miss Sarajevo. His voice was very strong. Also when he did his snippet of Torna A Surriento while walking back toward the stage (got to see him really close up, about 5 ft away only!)

5. Yahweh, so glad to hear that one again. Personnaly love the song.

6. Perfect timing picking a girl for WOWY who happens to have a birthday that very day! How many people wanted to be hugging and stroking Bono's hair? Not me?

7. Loved the "in alittle while" snippet at end of SHFWILF.

8. The audience around me seemed to go totally nuts when they played Pride, SBS, and WTSHNN. (actually, they seemd to go nuts for just about every song they played, it was a great section to sit in) For some of them, from what they told me it was their first show ever. I didn't know that U2 had not been to Omaha before. Oops.

9. The sound was great, the band was on fire. And I loved watching Bono trying to catch Edge while running around the circle and to the stage. Reminded me of their old symbolic "Bull/devil vs. Guitar battles" they had on the elevation tour during the song Until the end of the world. Would have liked to have seen that live. That was hilarious.

10. well as you can gather I LOVED the show. Drove out from MN to see it, but the whole ride home, blaring U2 music like I was still at the concert made the ride home of 6+ hrs fly. I'm on cloud nine, i'm totally "high" and don't ever want to come down again. If only that could be true!

Does anyone know how to stay on that "high"?

Hey everyone!

I was at the Omaha show Dec 15 against the rail toward the right front side of the stage(not in the ellipse). During Stuck in a Moment Bono Stopped right in front of me-- I handed him my sunglasses, he looked through them (still singing) then handed them back to me.
I was the girl wearing a white shirt, brown hair brown eyes, then he turned back and waved at me. If anyone reading this got a picture of any of that I would be grateful to swap pictures!!!

Hjohnstonu2@msn.com

u2joy2004 said:
Hey everyone!

I was at the Omaha show Dec 15 against the rail toward the right front side of the stage(not in the ellipse). During Stuck in a Moment Bono Stopped right in front of me-- I handed him my sunglasses, he looked through them (still singing) then handed them back to me.
I was the girl wearing a white shirt, brown hair brown eyes, then he turned back and waved at me. If anyone reading this got a picture of any of that I would be grateful to swap pictures!!!

Hjohnstonu2@msn.com

I thought I saw Bono messing around with some sunglasses, but I thought he was letting someone wear his glasses for a while. I was seated to the left of the edge at the very bottom by the stage, so couldn't see who it was in front of the Bman while that was happening. Didn't get pictures but it sure looked like Bono was enjoying himself! I'm sure you were! Fun moment!!

Back
Top Bottom