14th December St. Louis - Savvis Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We got unhooked at the Savvis Center and in St. Louis, an amazing day and night under the Arch.

Having seen three shows this tour, and with the whole third leg winding down, I feel like I can reflect with all the satisfaction, confidence, and sentimental longing this moment brings. I almost wasn’t a U2 fan again, but this last year has brought the band back into my heart space, and that heart space includes this creative and intelligent and passionate and soulful and critical fandom.

Having been to St. Louis, Chicago, and Atlanta, and being a Detroit boy living in the hills of Tennessee whose allegiance could go in any direction on these dates, my vote for the best fans definitely goes to the Midwest. Chicago 5-9 and St. Louis 12-14 were both special for me in that way, which doesn’t take away from the total warm and invigorating time I had in Georgia.

And of course, my fan experience was madly enhanced by all the dedicated folks forming an ‘unforgettable ring of fire’ (to use Fred Mills’ phrase) around the Savvis Center all day.

Got to *love* that tent, the Vertigo tent, with all the stenciled band stuff all over it. Lovely. Couldn’t resist digging on all the bus stops with giant U2 posters.

But the best part of the afternoon was ambling toward a completion of the perimeter and stumbling across the flashing cameras and the beautiful tears and screams of mesmerized fans all surrounding a particularly handsome, short, and stout Irish man with a lovely hat.

So I didn’t get to *meet* him proper, didn’t get anything signed, just called out some admirable words and snapped a quick photo before he waved and disappeared into the back caverns of the Savvis Center. Shout out to the beautiful women from Tennessee and Kentucky I met there (don’t be shy, you can post something!!!). I hope your concert was as good as mine.

I used to find the idea of “Tribute Bands” uncreative and old school. But the Elevation set at the preparty was the perfect warm-up for me.

So what about the set? The songs? Even though many of the best bits are scripted and only slightly nuanced for each unveiling, there was an endearing freedom in the way Bono pulled it off, perhaps a little reckless even, but not slapdash or unprofessional.

Finally, I got to hear “Gloria” again live. While many songs tonight had the churchy thing on all cylinders, this was the most majestic cause for chills, moans, and goosepimples in my entire evening. One of my absolute favorite spots comes when Bono introduces the boys, and he totally botched it tonight. At Adam’s baddest bass line, Bono shouts “the Edge.” Then, he calls on Adam, right when Edge takes it to the top with that most magickal riff. Didn’t ruin the song—made it real, a St. Louis special.

Speaking of church, “I Still Haven’t Found . . .” really rang to the rafters tonight, with Bono begging us to be the choir. This almost made up for the people who actually booed Bono’s intro to the song. Glad folks had the basic decency not to boo Kanye West, but for some reason, they felt compelled to boo Bono giving Kanye the “propers” he deserves. With Edge already tingling us with the opening notes of the song, Bono said he was “humbled and honored” to have Kanye on the bill. Humbled and honored—words to live by, not just at a U2 concert.

Without leaving the topic of what an over the top religious experience this all was, and still thinking about Kanye, Bono definitely had to put Kanye in this show somehow. Instead of the dreamed (or dreaded by some of you) duet, we got Bono sampling “Jesus Walks” all over, snippeting it into Beautiful Day and then Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Last item on church proper: “Yahweh” was crazy—ridiculous in the best sense. Fan giving and getting piano lessons, a wild sweet ending, with Bono scolding (just a little), and then loving on the fan bandmember who struggled but still shone like a star. When he left the keyboard, he leapt and danced down the ramp back to his spot in the crowd.

The standard war/peace trilogy and the Africa trilogy were both strong tonight. The troops dedication thing still bugs me, but it’s much better at the end of Bullet the Blue Sky than at the beginning of “Running to Standstill.” LAPOE, SBS, BtBS: The intensity of those three together still rattles me to the core. It’s like Edge is extracting your guts with guitar surgery while Bono shouts in your ear from the barricades of hope. “Love and peace or else” is intensely sincere and ironic at the same time. Perhaps that’s what I like about Atomic Bomb—the songs perhaps combine the best elements of Pop-era with the JT-era in a both serious and playful way. Bono would never have tried LAPOE in the JT era; he can get away with it now.

While I have very mixed feelings about the “obligatory” Classic Rock Song towards the end of the set (what u2 has done from time to time), “Instant Karma” has to be one of the very best choices to fill that niche in a long time. I can recall “People Get Ready” being done, but then overdone. There’s no likelihood “Instant Karma” will stay in the set too long, and I’m thrilled I got to see it.

It’s getting late, and I need to sleep before the drive home, but let me put in my true respect for the mellow parts of the show. Sure, you can’t rock out to acoustic hymns the same way you can to Zoo-era on xanax and wine. But hey, “Original of the Species,” “Sometimes,” “Miss Sarajevo,” and “Stuck” were all so spectacular and moving. If a mellow song can take over your whole body and soul the way a wicked rock tune can, it’s a really meaningful and deep piece of sonic science. Those “light rock” moments would kill U2 if they took up an entire album, but in a show like this, they really add to and don’t detract from the pacing like some folks say they do.

Next year, I can imagine not obsessing about U2 the way I have the last 12 months and making time for other bands in my life, other projects and priorities. Not sure I can or would make the shows in other countries. But U2’s ability to bring together “left and right, heartland and Hollywood” (his words) only testifies to the band’s inclusive and even utopian vision. Where else can you go watch hip-hop and hippie kids party with straight-laced professionals? It’s this vaster and more forgiving sense of tolerance and community that U2 fandom participates in and even makes possible.

Thanks fellow Interferencers for helping me have a great year.

Last edited:
Predictable setlist but U2 put on a great performance. They really seem to be in top form these days (probably from playing the same setlists over and over :wink: )

highlights of the show:

-well first getting into the ellipse. i ended up getting a spot right in front of where the egde likes to stand when he rocks out. it was amazing, i used to think the tip of the ellipse was the best spot, but after last night front row in front of the edge is definitely my favorite.

-Bono unexpectedly came out and gave a great tribute to Kanye when he introduced him. That was bad ass.

-kanyes entire set was awesome. backed by an orchestra string section that loved to rock out, it was simply a great performance.

-gloria was much improved over when i heard it earlier in the tour, was a great rocking song. still missed electic co though.

-during sunday bloody sunday bono pulled a kid up and the little guy did an amazing job chanting no more into the microphone.

-being outside the ellipse id always pay attention to bono on the drum during LAPOE, but man, Edge and Adam really rock out together during this song, was glad to see it up close.

-until the end of the world opening the encore feels a bit weird, but it was bad ass. the whole bono/edge chase is sweet and a nice change from the bullfight.

-a guy got pulled up to play keyboard on yahweh, sounded pretty good. the best part was the ned when bono asked him to make it "sound like a bell" and the guy had no idea what to do. but bono kept telling him to do it and after a few minutes they guy finally got it right.

disappointments:

-predictable setlist

-wowy girl was laughing the entire time. there wasnt the special eye contact i like to see whena girl gets on stage

but all in all it was a great show that exceeded my expectations. of course being front row in the ellipse might have had something to do with that :wink:

Whoa lordy, lordy...

*does the told you so, told you so* dance

So happy Chip :kiss:

Chizip said:

...but all in all it was a great show that exceeded my expectations. of course being front row in the ellipse might have had something to do with that :wink:

Who are you and what have you done with Chizip? :laugh: :laugh:

j/k. so glad you got in, and had a great time!

Catlady said:

Who are you and what have you done with Chizip? :laugh: :laugh:

j/k. so glad you got in, and had a great time!

Its the ellipse - I cannot even begin to talk about how much I loved our spot right in front of Edge _ I could write poems, songs short stories about my utter love of the ellipse (even though redkat and I were slightly molested by a strange girl behind us trying to get ANY band members attention - she was dealt with however)

during Love and Peace or Else Adam and Edge were right in front of us and the experience was completely otherworldly :drool:

Chizip said:
-well first getting into the ellipse.

congrats, chip. it's about damn time. :applaud:

i was on the phone with mk for almost the entire show. it sounded great. she said she could see you from her seat.

bonosgirl84 said:

congrats, chip. it's about damn time. :applaud:

i was on the phone with mk for almost the entire show. it sounded great. she said she could see you from her seat.

she called me and congratulated me :love:

i hope she gets in tonight

Can someone tell me how the crowd's reaction to Kanye was? I hope people took kindly to him even after his comment months ago ("george bush doesn't like black people"). It was a warm reception, I hope?

Mrs. Ghost and I had a great time, despite the physical endurance test that standing for 6-7 hours is. We got in the GA line around 4:30, and once inside a couple hours later, we set up shop about about 15'-20' outside the ellipse, in the middle...the arena's scoreboard was directly overhead.

Kanye West was pretty cool. I'm not familiar with the man's work at all, but as I've heard nothing but good things about his music, I went into it with an open mind. I still don't know what he's singing about, but I like the way he does it. The chicks rocking out on the strings were amazing!!!

In between sets, I went to the concession stand, but upon returning, it was much more packed in on the floor, and at first I couldn't find my wife. Once I did find her, I was told she had a fainting spell while I was gone, and it just so happened a medic was nearby, and after taking the test, said her blood sugar was a little low. They gave her some instant glucose (I wonder if it's related to instant karma), and she rebounded. She continued to struggle a bit during U2, but we kept it together and rocked out.

As far as U2 goes, the whole thing was a highlight to me. I just jumped in head-first and went with the flow. If there was a moment that stuck out, it was one I completely missed...

During "One", on the overhead video screen, they show the three same shots of Bono singing and playing guitar. At one point the middle image gets all pixellated, and morphs into night-vision images of people in the audience. I saw this and marvelled at it all, but later after the show, my wife said "Did you see yourself during One?" and I was like "???" She said "Oh my God, you were front and center for a good amount of time. You were just singing away." Like I told her last night, even though I was looking at that screen the whole time that effect was happening, I cannot recall seeing myself. If any of you have the recollection, I am a 40-ish white dude with a mustache and beard and glasses.

We took a fair amount of pics using a couple disposables, so I'll try and get them developed and uploaded sometime today or tonight.

SG

Chizip said:
-wowy girl was laughing the entire time. there wasnt the special eye contact i like to see whena girl gets on stage

:tsk: it should have been you, chip...

:wink:

glad that you finally made it inside the ellipse!!! :up:

nurse chrissi said:

(even though redkat and I were slightly molested by a strange girl behind us trying to get ANY band members attention - she was dealt with however)

Yeah, and you two wondered why I didn't want to switch places with you.

I just had a feeling last night that my ticket would get beeped. :hyper: :combust:
Chip and I actually ran throught the venue to get our spots. :drool: My hands were shaking. Such a great moment for our group.

WildHoneyAlways said:

I just had a feeling last night that my ticket would get beeped. :hyper: :combust:
Chip and I actually ran throught the venue to get our spots. :drool: My hands were shaking. Such a great moment for our group.

Congratulations :up:

I'm glad everyone (including Chizip :kiss: ) had a great time :).

We could hear the little dude during SBS on gorman's stream last night. That kid really got into it :lol: :cute:.

Last edited:
I'm happy for you all that you got in - we didn't even get on the rail outside the ellipse with #'s 88 and 89 (stupid security and 6'6" guys squeezing us :rant: ) And yeah I didn't know what to make of the stage girl - if she was just shocked beyond belief or just had no clue what to do :confused:

WildHoneyAlways said:

So your ticket scanned in, right? Did that get the rest of you in, or did nursechrissi, redkat, or ruffian scan too? Just curious...

tonight's show was amazing. i had hoped for more from the setlist, but in all honestly they could've played anything and it wouldn't have made a difference.

i got to the arena at 5:00am and was number 69 (about 25 after they split the line), and ended up on the rail all the way on adam's side. great spot, but i have to admit i was incredibly bitter watching people who had strolled into the arena at 7:00pm go into the ellipse (with their beers in tow) 20 minutes before U2 came on. gotta hate that lottery. but whatever, i can't complain. my spot was worth the 13 hour wait in the cold and the mad dash through the arena.

i met some really cool people in line, including the guy who got pulled up to play piano during yahweh. i was so happy for him, because it really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. he actually had been talking that morning about how he had practiced a few songs on guitar in case bono picked him out. bono's scolding was hilarious, too. it's nice to witness an unscripted moment. :lol:

the biggest surprise of the night was definitely bono introducing kanye. sucks for the people who didn't come early enough to watch his set, i guess.
overall he wasn't too warmly received, at least in my section. i looked around and most people were standing motionless and looked pretty bored. i didn't hear much booing during his performance, but later in U2's set bono thanked kanye for opening the show, and there was a lot of booing then. i guess people had more nerve to boo him while he wasn't on stage to hear it, heh.

highlights for me were original of the species and gloria, both of which i heard live for the first time last night. streets was insane too... the crowd went absolutely nuts. bono stood on the ellipse and looked genuinely freaked out at the ovation. it was like nothing i'd ever seen before, and it was incredible. all i could hear behind me on the floor was massive shrieking.

this was my last show of the tour and overall it's been an amazing experience. i have so many great memories associated with the shows i attended, and st. louis was a great way to end the vertigo tour for me. great performance, great crowd, and definitely the best show i've seen.

here is the St.Louis Post Dispatch's review

U2/Kanye West
By Kevin C. Johnson
Post-Dispatch Pop Music Critic
12/15/2005

The Rolling Stones may be offering a bigger bang, but U2 remains the biggest band in the land. It's also the most important - and, possibly, the most self-important.

All of this was evident Wednesday night at Savvis Center, where the long-running Irish band - Bono (vocals), the Edge (guitar), Adam Clayton (bass) and Larry Mullen Jr. (drums) - performed its blowout of a show in front of a sold-out crowd of more than 18,000. Some fans began lining up outside Savvis the night before the concert to ensure a spot in the pit in front of the stage.

Opening for the band was one of the few artists who can match U2 in the self-importance category, Kanye West. Thankfully, in the case of both of these passionate artists, their music is potent enough that we're willing to indulge most anything.

A surprise appearance from Bono at the top of the evening kicked things off, as he introduced West in typically overblown, though not necessarily inaccurate, fashion. The controversial West, one of Grammy's top dogs when nominations were announced last week, nicely lacked a posse, dancers and other often unnecessary rap-concert conventions, keeping the focus squarely on himself as he performed songs from his "The College Dropout" and "Late Registration" CDs.

Flanked by a DJ and an all-female string section that sometimes overshadowed his vocals, West opened with the message-laden "Diamonds From Sierra Leone." "The New Workout Plan," "Touch the Sky" and "Heard 'Em Say" were among the early songs in his set. "Slow Jamz," "All Falls Down," "Through the Wire" and, of course, "Jesus Walks" and "Gold Digger" finished out an entertaining set.

West's performance was his first on U2's seemingly never-ending "Vertigo" tour. But when a tour is the year's biggest grosser, bringing in $260 million from 90 sell-out concerts, why end it?

From the opening moment of "City of Blinding Lights," amid a confetti shower, it was clear the band was out to thrill, and it's a testament to U2 that it's still able to deliver at this level. Though any real fan is familiar with the U2 live set, either through a past tour or the new concert DVD, the performance never felt stale or repetitive. Even the heavy proselytizing, both political and religious, was presented in ways that made it tolerable.

Bono and the boys still know how to put on a heck of a show - visually, vocally and musically - and at this point can probably mount a tour in their sleep. They remain amazingly on top of their game live, even without benefit of gigantic lemons. The show felt stripped down from past road treks, which sometimes leaped over the top from a production perspective.

U2 offered such staples as "Pride (in the Name of Love)," "Mysterious Ways" and "Where the Streets Have No Name," songs the band can never - and should not - escape. Some songs came in pairs: "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" with "In a Little While," "Beautiful Day" with "Many Rivers to Cross" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" with "Rock the Casbah." Future staples were worked in nicely, with the band performing "Love and Peace or Else," "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" and "Yahweh" from last year's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," another Grammy favorite.

The two-hour show ended with band members exiting the stage one by one after John Lennon's "Instant Karma" (newly added to the set in honor of the recent 25th anniversary of his death), "Yahweh" and "40." And fans left feeling better for the experience.

Great Show!

Thanks to the kind soul of a guy ahead of me, I was able to get into the ellipse for the first time. He was the best!!

I ended up about the third row on Adams side and loved it. Adam really is quite the cute guy in person and looks younger than some of his pics. He smiled a lot at us fans and that was really cool to see.

It was just surreal to see them all that close up and notice the little things about their person. So much so that I got distracted during some of the songs because I was focused on them and not so much the music. A definate change from the semi-okay ticets in NYC.

My pictures turned out crappy because I don't know how to use my camera. I had it on the wrong shutter speed :(

Bono didn't get molested on stage like I thought he would; the girl he pulled up seemed shell shocked and a little shy. Good for her but I wish it was me .

I should have planned on going to salk lake or portland. I'm hooked! Oh well (sigh).

Back
Top Bottom