12th December Charlotte - Charlotte Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guess I'll start this one off... just got in from the show, it was awesome, a film crew was taping the show, supposedly for ESPN to use COBL for the World Cup 2006, but they taped the whole show... DVD?:wink: Was my girlfriend's first U2 show, my fourth; and our first in GA.. didn't get ellipse.. but she and I wound up about 6 people from the catwalk on Adam's side, so we were pretty close. Crowd was semi-into Institute, mostly getting excited over the Bush songs (Chemicals Between Us and Machinehead). Our boys started about 10 minutes early tonight, (have heard that Charlotte city is really hard on the 11pm curfew, guess it's true). The group around us on the floor were ok, a few loudmouths/drunks/etc but that's expected I guess, but then some awesome people who were there to have an awesome time. Started with COBL which was really powerful tonight; Vertigo was played with an extra intensity; Gloria was an awesome treat; Original of the Species was the older version with Edge on Piano and Bono on acoustic (vs. the new with both on electric); LAPOE was awesome tonight, Bono played the drum into the start of SBS playing the first few beats with Larry on kit; BTBS- Edge was on fire tonight, played a few bars longer, played the Zoo TV era solo beginning, also Bono sang the "...outside it's America..." line before going into "Johnny Comes Marching Home"; Edge played a new Les Paul for One, I'm thinking its the custom Gibson that he mentions in the VH1 Katrina Save the Music Foundation commercial; I don't think Yahweh was planned, after Stuck, Bono called to Dallas to bring Edge another acoustic, and Larry's keyboard was rushed out to the stage; closing with 40 was awesome, I was at Boston 5/29 when they closed with Vertigo, and Atlanta 11/29 when they closed with Bad, so I thought "finally!" and Larry played a little bit longer of a outro solo than he has, at least in comparison to the Chicago DVD. Overall it was a great night, and the staff were decent, in Atlanta there were a few who I would have rather not have come in contact with. That's my unbiased review:)

The day got off to a great start when I called the arena box office at 2pm and scored 2 lower level seats 4 rows off the ellipse on the Edge's side for me and my buddy. Many tickets were released today as it turned out. Got to Charlotte early and grabbed some drinks at RiRa, the Irish pub, which was playing the Chicago DVD on a big screen. With the door open you could literally hear U2 music playing in the streets as we approached the bar, as my friend noted. Very cool. Fantastic new arena, too, very intimate feel as I had heard.

As U2jer gave a nice overview of the set, I will note some of the highlights for me. I was psyched to see "Gloria" performed live for the first time in the 8 U2 shows I have seen. After giving the history behind the song and noting that Pavarotti couldn't be there tonight to join him, Bono absolutely blew the roof off on the Italian portion of "Miss Sarajevo." He really nailed it. My buddy, a singer himself, was very impressed. A funny moment happened prior to "Sometimes" I believe it was when Bono made a comment about his late father not liking the shades. So he took them off and gave them to someone in the Ellipse and went without for awhile. Rest assured he had another pair on by the end of the show.

On "Until the End of the World" Bono chased Edge around the entire ellipse a couple of times, literally sprinting around it. As noted by U2jer, it seems like they changed things up during the encore as the crew appeared somewhat confused by their decision to play "Yahweh" after "Stuck in a Moment." Edge was quite simply a force of nature tonight, and the fact that he was at times 20 or so feet away from me made it all the more enjoyable. Bono seemed to be losing his voice a bit by the end, but it didn't matter as the crowd picked him up nicely on the choruses of "With or Without You" and "40." All in all, a fantastic night.

Last edited:
Please tell me somebody has pics and video of DANA dancing??!! She is the same girl that got on stage at Alanta 2.

Can I just say wtf was she doing to Bono's poor hair? :lmao:

Anyhow, I went to the show by myself, which was fine. Drove from Raleigh, NC.

Institute was pretty boring. I had one guy ask me if I was a Bush or U2 fan. I said definitely U2. He said "you ready for them to get off the stage? and I nodded emphatically lol. My luck, it was probably someone who worked for the band institute :lmao:

Then Wake Up came on and I got chills all over again (my second U2 concert). I practically had tears streaming down my face when COBL came on. It had been a stressful week last week, and I was ready to just have fun, and have a good release of stress for a while. I got there late due to work and was standing towards the back, but it didn't affect the show any. I still screamed, clapped and bounced as much :)

The whole concert was great. I was sooo thrilled. They played about 5 different songs than they played at the Philadelphia show I went to back in May. I got to hear "Gloria" "Until the End of the World" "Original of the Species" "With or Without you" and "Miss Sarajevo" which I hadn't heard in concert before :D

I'd say the one I was the most excited to hear was Until the End of the World. Bono was really sprinting towards the end too. Edge looked like he was smiling when he was running. Miss Sarajevo was a real treat. I had been hoping I'd get to hear Bono do his opera. Wonderful.

Funny Moments:

Bono yelled at someone to take off those "stupid flash assists" ? I think, towards the beginning of the concert.

The girl he brought up on stage was all over him. But it wasn't overboard(although his hair got quite a ruffling :lmao: )

And on Stuck in a Moment, Bono messed up the lyrics and had The Edge repeat a part so he could get them right. He said he wrote it for a friend and wanted to sing it correctly. I was hoping to hear some acoustic stuff, and I was not disappointed :D

I really couldn't have asked for a better show. It surpassed the Philadelphia show as far as content. The crowd wasn't *quite* as loud as Philly, and didn't sing "40" for as long at the end(philly sang until the lights came up), but it was still really good.

GOOD TIMES :D

Last edited:
I sat behind the stage and the monitor read "Instant Karma" before the confusion occurred -- afterwards, it read "Yahweh." Guess Bono decided to cut that song.

Brilliant show and setlist, but I think the last encore with an accoustic Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, an accoustic Yahweh, and then 40, came out a bit flat. Great songs but it would have been nice just to have a little more energy. Very mellow ending when we were used to hearing Walk On for 4 Elevation shows (where was ABOY?). Bono's voice was incredible all night.

Also, I'm really glad they came out early. I think Charlotte got the shortest Elevation Tour set list because of bad weather and the curfew. It was definitely the shortest show we saw on the tour.

If you've seen the setlists from this leg of the tour, it's easy to see that the Charlotte show's setlist was unremarkable, to say the least. I was disappointed that some of the more interesting songs from the first leg and this leg disappeared. Months ago, as setlists appeared online, we saw such songs as "Electric Co." and "An Cat Dubh>Into The Heart" and "Running To Stand Still" and "Bad," etc. And this recent leg revealed "Instant Karma" and various other treats. The Charlotte show was devoid of such rarities.

The show comes to a grinding halt during "Miss Sarajevo," during the Bono-soapbox portion of the concert. Thankfully, Bono wasn't overly political. U2's fans, theoretically, come from all walks, although looking around at the fans last night reveals that 95% of the fans are balding middle-aged folks like myself (35-54 is the largest demo there, by far). And among this set, not everyone is a bleeding-heart liberal. Obviously, no one booed or anything like that: on the contrary, there were cheers for the soapboxing. However, such cheers weren't nearly as raucous as they were when I first saw them 20 years ago, when we were all teenagers with no jobs or families. Bono himself alluded to the fact that it wasn't a left-thing or a right-thing but for everybody; he even thanked Jesse Helms and also thanked Teresa Earnhardt of NASCAR's D.E.I. (this is "NASCAR Valley," as it were). Bono's exhortation against the NRA received lukewarm applause.

Anyway, I digress. My point was that "Miss Sarajevo" is weak and has no place in the setlist. The rest of the songs were great, and I'm sure others will chime in with "it was soooo awesome" style reviews, so I'll leave that to them.

One other minor quibble: the sound wasn't very good at all. The boys were turned up so loud as to distort and sometimes have feedback. But the entire concert was distorted due to high volume. That was extremely disappointing.

All in all, a great show and worth every penny. FWIW, a stocky dude with lots of tats and a kilt was handing out wristbands to the ellipse back near the soundboard, near the rear staff-only exit. He was giving them away to families w/kids first.

Thats odd, because I thought compared to Philly, it sounded better. Although I think it might have depended where you were at. I was at the back of the floor, and it sounded great.

And Miss Sarajevo was wonderful, so :madspit: :wink:

I was to the left of the soundboard. It sounded distorted to me. Maybe I'm just old.

As for "Miss Sarajevo," to each his own. I'm not a big fan. They have a catalog of amazing depth and breadth, and to throw that clunker out there is a shame.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when the band stopped playing "40," the crowd didn't sing at all on their own. That was weird.

jgpyke said:
I was to the left of the soundboard. It sounded distorted to me. Maybe I'm just old.

As for "Miss Sarajevo," to each his own. I'm not a big fan. They have a catalog of amazing depth and breadth, and to throw that clunker out there is a shame.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when the band stopped playing "40," the crowd didn't sing at all on their own. That was weird.

Yeah I noticed that too. At the Philly show, it went on until the lights went up. I guess the Charlotte goers aren't as atuned to the U2 concert.

Down where I was on the floor, we kept singing 40 for a little bit after the lights went up.. definitely wasn't everyone, and I sort of started it:)

We were in Section 217 behind the stage and we sang it for a long time, but no one else seemed to pick it up.

Re: jgpyke's comments that the NRA comment received lukewarm applause and other comments that Bono's political comments were not well received, that's not what I heard. His comments regarding One having more members than the NRA someday received loud and rowdy shouts and applause. Ms. Earnhardt's applause wasn't very energetic, that's for sure. We all laughed, in fact.

It sure is funny how you can be at the same show and have different perceptions, isn't it? :eyebrow:

I’m kind of new to all this but wanted to throw in my 2 cents. This was only the 2nd U2 show that I’ve been to so I don’t have a lot of others to compare to. I saw the Elevation tour a few years ago when it came through Charlotte as well. I really enjoyed last nights show, but I would have to agree with jgpyke about the sound. I was seated in the upper deck at about the 5 o’clock position on the elipse. The first couple songs sounded like they had it up so loud that it was clipping, but they seemed to get it dialed in after that.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the setlist. Based on what I’d been reading/hearing about earlier shows on the tour, I think last night’s setlist was not quite as good. I was really hoping they would play Zoo Station, Miracle Drug, or Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (my fave). Don’t get me wrong, if they opened up the phone book and started playing through that, I’d still go see them. Overall, I liked the Elevation show better, but I still had a great time last night and hope they’ll come back to Charlotte soon.

Hope yall have a Merry Christmas.

FWIW, I never said that Bono's political rantings "were not well received." They just weren't as raucously received as 20 years ago. Back then, *everyone* would have cheered as loudly as when the band takes or exits the stage. Nowadays, it's like 50-50 (or less?). Times change. No big deal.

Mr. Blu & I were 2nd from the railing in front of Edge's "mark" on the catwalk for Stuck in a Moment, etc. The ONLY complaint I can come up with is that the sound did get a bit squiggly a time or two, but from where I stood, that hardly mattered.

I thought the band was super tight, in a great mood & that the audience was very participatory - at least that's my perception from the floor. :shrug: :D

jgpyke said:
One other minor quibble: the sound wasn't very good at all. The boys were turned up so loud as to distort and sometimes have feedback. But the entire concert was distorted due to high volume. That was extremely disappointing.

May I suggest some earplugs? We bought some Etymotic Research ER-20 and they're fantastic. You can't hear things like arena-induced distortion, echo, and the idiots talking behind you during every slow song. All you can hear is the main feed. Everything sounded great to us, but I agree with a previous poster, the first two songs weren't quite right.

Aldamon:

Thanks for the heads up on the earplugs. Wish I had these when I was younger, too, and thought standing next to the stacks at Tip's was a good idea.

Maybe it was where I was sitting, but I noticed that with many of the songs the intro or base line would start and the crowd would not really react but when Bono started singing then they realized what the song was and broke out in a cheer. Like at the start of "Beautiful Day," for instance. My U2 snobbery would kick in and I'd be like "Damn, you just figured out what the song was?" You know what though, the casual fan has just as much right to see the show as I do so that's cool. There's room for all of us.

I would agree with some of the comments made about the setlist...maybe not as interesting as shows from the earlier U.S. leg of the tour. It is also a perception thing in that I saw them twice in Chicago in May so I was fine hearing them play "Gloria" early on instead of "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart" and "Electric Co." again and "With or Without You" as opposed to "Running," etc. I have seen U2 enough at this point that I am just happy when I hear them play songs that I have not heard live before, regardless of whether I absolutely love them or not. Whatever the case may be, Bono's voice sounded as good as I have heard and Edge was in fine form as well.

I noticed that too. I would be standing there and realize what the song was, or at the beginning when they played Wake Up, I started screaming, and half the people around me just stood there quietly lol.

But you're right, the casual fan has just as much right to be there, and Im glad they were. Spread the U2 Love! :wink:

:wink: Hey - we can't all name every U2 song on the first note! :lol: I gladly welcome the U2 newbies... the more, the merrier! :D

This was my 2nd show (finally) in 14 years. I've tried 3 other times to see them with no luck (for outside broadcast i got in a wreck 2 days before and couldnt make it, for popmart they cancelled the Raleigh show a week before and for ATL1 i got all the way there and had intense bad drama that kept me out.)

so by the grace of god, i got tickets for charlotte... halleluia!

I didn't have the best seats (rear view) but the light show was amazing, the sound was awesome, the crowd was completely receptive from where i was sitting.... the show was perfect.

I honestly can't believe half of you people picking the shows apart, griping about setlists and sound bites! every second from the time edge first walked on stage, til the lights went up and they were gone, was an absolutely spiritual experience for me.

the band has shaped and changed and illuminated everything in my life since i was 14 years old. now that I'm nearing 30, i'm proud to say that the same beautiful songs still bring me to tears, the same words still shake me to the core, like they did the first time i heard them. I have fallen in love with U2 a hundred times, over and over again.

so let me just say for the record, for a truly intensely spiritually involved fan, charlotte was the best show on the tour. God was in that room and I felt nothing but love... nonstop.

I can't wait til the next time. and the next and the next and the next!!!!

This was my second concert of theirs(I'm 15, what can I say), both Veritgo, both this leg. October 19th in DC and then of course this one. It was well worth giving up all my christmas presents and skipping two days of school and the six hour car ride.

I was section 222, rear/side Adam. I saw fine, the sound was fine for me. It was a great show.

Gloria was a nice surprise for me, so was OOTS. I was so happy they kept "40" as their ending and I know they've been changing it, which I would've been dissapointed which I don't know a better ending. I thought stuck was good even though they messed up. That's why I love live shows...screwups.

Until The End Of The World.....that seriously made my night. My dad's comment " Why's the leperchaun chasing Edge?" Lmao.

Anything else? It was great.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. This was the third time I've seen them, the last being in Charlotte 2001. The new arena is nice. The sound wasn't too bad although I thought it would have been better. I was fortunate enough to get a decent recording while standing to the right of the soundboard.

This was my 8th U2 show and first on this tour. I waited with about 30 people on the loading dock outside the arena since 2pm..one of the stage guys came out and said they weren't sound checking today. Oh well. I got to talk to a ton of really really great fans.

My wife and I went to dinner at McCormicks and Shmick's seafood (outstanding) and downed a few black and tans.

Once in the arena - I went to the souvenir booth as soon as the wife went to the bathroom, got a hoodie and a t-shirt...$110 well spent. Also gave the One campaign $20 and got a bracelet.

Once "Wake Up" started - I seriously started shaking, followed by tears once COBL started. I didn't pick up on the bad sound so often reported probably because I was singing so loud and just psyched to be experiencing this!

I thought the setlist was awesome - particularly enjoyed SYCMIOYO, especially since Bono sung it without his shades.

Singing Frank Sinatra happy birthday seemed a bit out of place - they should have sung one of his tunes perhaps to brek up the monotonous 3rd leg setlist.

I was singing 40 till I got home. Was it not awesome to see them leave the stage one by one at the end of that song?!

I miss them and am grateful they came to Charlotte!!

bombergirl1978 said:
Funny Moments:

Bono yelled at someone to take off those "stupid flash assists" ? I think, towards the beginning of the concert.

ha, I think you are talking about at the beginning of "Sometimes" when Bono was talking about his father who used to tell him to "take off those stupid fly shades!"

:yes:

rjrumfh said:
I was fortunate enough to get a decent recording while standing to the right of the soundboard.

Would you consider uploading your recording to U2Torrents? The show hasn't been posted yet as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom