08th October New York - Madison Square Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK..careful what you ask for! :lol:

This is not every song, but the stuff that stuck out to me & my friend Jennifer:

This show was wonderful, much better than the 1st NYC night, and probably better than the 2 recent Boston shows simply because of the many random, memorable and unexpected moments of the show. (It was also fun for me to spend part of the show with several wonderful people, some of whom are on this board :hug: )

Random happening:
Early in the show he took a cell phone from a man against the rail in GA. This was either during Vertigo or Elevation. He snapped it shut, was kind of smiling about it devilshly, and pretended he was going to put it in his pocket, but he handed it back. He obviously disconnected the call. I think this was his friendly way of dealing with a situation that was bothering him. The guy, however, did not heed Bono's hint, for right in the heat of Sunday Bloody Sunday Bono was pacing center stage and he screamed, into the mic, "Get off the fucking phone! This is a fucking concert!" I couldn't look at any of the band members b/c I was staring in shock and excitement (I have to admit). I'd never seen Bono mad before, although I've heard the few instances where he's yelled at someone during a concert. He was still pacing and then put his hand up to his ear like a mock phone and said in an exaggerated American accent "Hey mawm, I'm at a U2 show! [slight pause] It's really going off here!" and then he threw his hand down and said "It IS really going off here." (paraphrasing--) "So stay off the phone" and then "Be in the moment!!" and then right into the "No More!" sequence.

back to the beginning-

COBL
Both nights he contsantly referred to NYC as being the city of blinding lights. I think he really wrote that song about NYC.

Vertigo
Changed the lyrics to "No one gets out of here... unless they're alive!" just like the first NY night. I have a theory about this, a short version being that he wouldn't ever say the way it was written on the album in NY after 9/11 but also after the terror threats that were on the news that very weekend.

Elevation
Bono said, up on the high part of the ellipse on Adam's side; "The thing about Irish people is that we can't dance, so we do this-" and he moved his arm back, and forth, and back, and forth (right to left) and instantly everyone in the crowd was moving their arms in sync, back and forth, haha. When he was introducing the band during this song, he said Adam's name, then Larry, and then he shouted, "Who is this?!! Who is this!! Who! Is! This!!" and we all screamed back "The EDGE!!!!" It really went off! When he was up on the ellipse part too he screamed "Anybody out there?!!!" He added a "rockaway beach" snippet in Ele, and then gave us the name of the song. (All I heard was "beach" and thought we'd have a "Look, Edge, a beachball" reinactment, haha.) Oh now I'm remembering that also during Elevation Bono opened his mouth HUGE and proceeding to slowly lick his lips! Yewoee!

AIWIY (!)
At the end the "AIWIY" repition kind of faded, but suddenly it picked up loudly from the crowd, and everyone kept singing "all i want is you" over and over and then Bono smiled when he heard it and came up to teh mic and sang "all i want is you/ all i need is you" which was very nice.

Beautiful Day
added a Patti Smith snippet- "People have the power" which he repeated many, many times, and at the end threw his arm forward as if he was throwing the power to the crowd. Very cool.

Sometimes
Bono stayed on center stage for a very long time during this song. He was very emotional, and when he was at the tip, he was rocking his body hard back and forth, pumping his arms.

Miss Sarajevo
I really enjoy the speech Bono gives before Miss Sarajevo, about how they created the song and why. It's very inspiring to me. And I was thinking how I didn't like him continually saying "but I've been eating the hamburgers" as a way to joke that he can attempt Pav's part. Because Bono can really nail the opera in that song, which makes it so amazing and wonderful and I finally wanted him to stop apologizing for it. And, tonight, he did. He said "We recorded this with Luciano Pavarotti, who is not here tonight. [pause] But I am. [BIG Smile]" And we all cheered and he grinned, very happy and cute. It was heartwarming and a real true moment. Then he went and ruined it a bit by saying something about gaining weight. Blah. Hopefully by Monday night he'll quit saying that caveat.

Bullet
When Bono was doing his Coexist speech, he said something that gave both Jennifer and I tremors, although we didn't mention it to each other until after the show. He said "NYC is the best example of how people coexist, and that's why you were a target." It was just something about the way he said it, and target, and the mention of that huge evil that really shook me up and disturbed me. It was funny b/c Jennifer and I usually convey great or unusual moments to each other throughout the show, either by glances or touching, but this one neither of us moved but it shook us both deeply.

Also during Bullet when he is blindfolded, he walks w/ arms out to the mic stand but he TOTALLY misses it, and is going to potentially walk right off stage but A.J. was up there instantly and moved Bono's arms back and to his left to the mic stand. Bono's face was a bit grim, uspet that he missed it. Looks like he really is totally blind during this bit, but thankfully crew are waiting at attention.

One
To start off the intro to One Bono is walking toward center stage and says "Where's the guy I shouted at earlier? I'd like to apologize. You can take out your phone now; in fact now might be a good time for everyone to take out their phones." When no one moves (haha) he says "I'm serious, take out your phones, which can be a dangeorus though, etc..." and he says "light this place up like a Christmas Tree. Bruce turn off the lights so we can see what's under the Christmas tree." which was really nice.

Bono thanks Tim Robinson (dooh!) and Susan Sarandon for joining the One Campaign, as well as Minnie Driver and Orlando Bloom. Jennifer and I saw Minnie earlier.

MJB was brilliant, just absolutely wonderful. It was such a treat to see her perform with them. Bono was all smiles the entire time, as was Edge and Adam (couldnt' see Lars). Bono really was elated, and MJB knocked everyone over. She gave me chills instantly. And I just LOVED seeing a woman singer in particular up there knocking their socks off.

The First Time
Really a lovely, lovely song played live. I enjoy hearing it every night and am very happy it's not interchanged. Actually it wasn't on the original setlist. Before the band went off for a break, they had a longggg discussion together, which natch got us v. excited for something new. But we couldn't tell what they were talking about. Our friend was sitting behind the stage and saw on the teleprompter Zoo Station followed by The Fly come on, so First Time/ WH was not on the original setlist. But during WH I happened to look up and I saw Larry clutching his right bicep. And he was rubbing and holding it. Mystery solved: they put the acoustic set in and took out Zoo/Fly because Larry was hurting.

The First Time was great, but the interesting point here was that Bono did not have his rosary beads on. As he came up after the encore he was running late so he was just shrugging on his shirt, and then on stage buttoned the bottom 2 buttons. Took the mic and walked to the ellipse and started singing. He put his hand to his chest, then moved it a bit more frantically before he released he was missing his rosary beads. He stopped singing and knelt down to his right (between us and him) and spoke out of mic to security saying "i need my beads, beads!" and then those people couldn't help him so he immediately went to the other side and said the same thing to whoever was there. "get me my beads!" He stood back up and started singing again, and about a minute later we saw a hand ascend with the coveted beads, which Bono took and wrapped around his hand. It would have made a beautiful photo if I had my camera- him singing in one hand the end of the mic and the cross from his rosary peeking out. During "a brother in need" he pointed to the Edge and his voice cracked. Also he's now perfected a lyric change during this song to (which I regrettably can't remember verbatim) "but I threw away the keys / which I don't need because grace will get me through". It's so lovely and epitomizes his love and voiced need for Grace.

Wild Horses
Bono introduces this song as being called "Wild Horses" and also says it's one they haven't played in a while. He's gonna have to stop saying that soon, haha. Edge's guitar is out of tune, since they were prepared for Zoo/Fly, so he played a few chords and would tune it, over and over again. Dallas was on main stage with another guitar, looking worried but not moving. Bono makes a nice joke out of it by saying "very professional, the Edge. Our band will be performing at Temple Bar this week, or on any street corner." haha.

Fast Cars
Bono said "This is a song none of you will know" like he said last night. The whole time this song Larry was hunched over the drums pounding them. Bono danced with the Edge during this song, which I thought was terrific and wished he did it longer. Edge held the guitar vertically like a flamenco dancer and Bono clapped his hands and danced around him. It got a great reaction from the crowd, but Bono barely did a 360 circle, dunno why. Larry ends the song by kicking the hell out of the drums. Nice ending w/ him alone.

Original of the Species
This was very lovely, and they had a roadie up there playing keyboards with them for the song.

LOVEEEEE
Edge's smile after listening to "how long" - more notes to come

Other random moments:
After a moment he was at the tip and walking back, someone had a poster which he took from them and held to his body. He crumpled it a bit, keeping it close to him, only turning it around as he walked up, so I could see it was a photo of John Lennon and it had one of his famous sayings on it (which ironically I can't remember, haha). Right up at the top of the ellipse walk, he kind of knelt and dropped the poster to a security guard (it looked like he was giving it to another audience member, but he wasn't) and he said to the guard "keep it for me." Aw!!!

Bono also added an "all you need is love!" scream in the middle of Streets (I believe it was Streets).

I have a little more to say, but too tired tonight. :wave:

Thank you for this review, I really enjoyed it. I wondered what happened about the cell phone/fan bit I'd only heard about but now I know from someone who was THERE.....Excellent review :up: :up: :up:

Great review, Carrie! Where were you during the show? pax and I had front row in front of Adam in the ellipse. :D

This show blew me away, much more so than the 9/20 one I saw in Chicago a few weeks ago. Mary J. Blige was an awesome surprise and the band was having a great time and the crowd was just ridiculous. I'd go back to NYC to see ANY band in a heartbeat. :up:

Last edited:
another fantastic review, olive! thank you so much for posting- it really helped me to remember all of the little moments i'd forgotten!

it was so fun to dance and jump around with you and jennifer in the ellipse last night- i hope that we'll all get the chance to do it again some day in the future... :hug: :up:

Mary J Blige was wonderful during One.

I thought the show was fantastic overall. AIWIY & IWF were welcomed additions

I would have prefered The Fly & Zoo Station over the slowed down tempo of WH and The First Time (But both were enjoyable none the less)

Miss Sarejvo - was excellent, I could not believe how good Bono was during the Pavarotti part.....I was stunned.

However, when they played Miss Sarejvo, The First Time, and Fast cars, I think it took the wind out of the sails for much of the crowd. I was dancing and enjoying but when you looked around, many people were a bit confused.

Overall, kick ass show and I'm sad that there will be no more shows for me this tour.

*Ally* said:
another fantastic review, olive! thank you so much for posting- it really helped me to remember all of the little moments i'd forgotten!

it was so fun to dance and jump around with you and jennifer in the ellipse last night- i hope that we'll all get the chance to do it again some day in the future... :hug: :up:

Thanks Ally! it was great to see you again and spend time together outside and in the show! :hyper: I hope we can do it again soon, too. :) And I hope you have a good week at work!

Also--
How could I have not mentioned the "Happy Birthday" sung to Gavin??! This was fantastic! Another funny phone incident, too. :sexywink: He asked for a phone, said something like "hey it's not like I'm trying to call the White House tonight!" I thought Bono was asking an audience member for a phone (which I instantly thought would not be a good idea b/c then a fan would have Gavin's number :lol: ), but a crew member must have handed him a phone- it was old school and black with a thick black curly chord, and I was half expecting to hear the Euro ring when he dialed. :hyper:

Oh right before this he was talking about Gavin and who he was and said "what's the person called who helps deliver babies?" he paused and then smirked, "no, not a gynocologist" :lol: and then he said, "Midwife! Gavin's like our midwife!"

And so once the phone was ringing he told us to hang on b/c it was his "answering service" and then he prompted the crowd to sing Happy Birthday, shouting "Gavin Friday" so everyone would know whose name to insert.

It was really great!! :D

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Great review, Carrie! Where were you during the show? pax and I had front row in front of Adam in the ellipse. :D

Aw I thought you might have been there!! :hug: I'm mad I didn't know for sure to say hi!! :angry: Well I'm glad you got such a wonderful spot- that is awesome!!! Did you just love Adam or what?? I got some serious Adam contact at MSG1, which was just intense!! I was in the ellipse this night, kind of in the center for the first several songs, and then I moved to the rail near Adam's side for pretty much the rest of the show.

Except at one point where I bagged out to go see if I could spot Orlando Bloom in the VIP pit. :reject: :lol:

Saturday night's gig blew away night #1 at MSG. From the moment U2 took the stage, an overwelming energy took over the garden. The energy did not exist at the first show. I contemplated giving my Saturday tix to friends because I was extremely disappointed with the first show, but my loyalty to U2 after being a huge fan for 22 years kept my sanity in check. U2 are still the greatest rock 'n roll band......I WILL FOLLOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you contemplate giving your tickets away when you consider yourself a "loyal" U2 fan of over 22 years? That doesn't make sense. Glad you didn't!

I was exremely disappointed and kind of sad after Friday night....I didn't wanted to be disappointed again Saturday night. I thought about giving my tickets away....but not for long....I knew I couldn't live with myself (perhaps even disappoint myself) if I did not go. Sure am glad I did!!!!

this may be a stupid question but what is the name of the song that plays over the PA right before the band takes the stage?

Musique47.gif

not much to add when Olive gives her reviews. Great stuff. I bailed on the GA line because of the rain but ended up in the corner on Adams side where I wanted to be anyway. Great perspective to be on the side. Inside would be better of course, damn lottery.

Thanks for the info on the setlist change, you could see them writing on each band members set list during the encore. I was wondering what got changed/added. At the time I thought it was Fast Cars since I hadnt seen Fri nights setlist and didnt know they had played it that night also. Glad to know the truth.
Great show.
talking about Arcade Fire, what is the PA going to play when they open for U2?? I have a boot from AF and they open with Wake Up so I dont know if they will play the same song on the PA that was just played live, or maybe AF wont play it....

This was my first U2 concert ever and I would say that it was the best experience of my life. When I heard "Wake Up", I started to freak out and continued to do so until the concert was over.

COBL: Amazing. All I can say is that my legs were barely able to support me when it started. Loved the visuals.

Vertigo: Almost knocked me over. Had me screaming the whole time.

Elevation: Loved how the crowd started singing the "whoo-hoos" before Bono even started to sing them.

I Will Follow: This was a personal highlight for me because it's one of my favorite U2 songs. I was on another plane when I heard that guitar.

All I Want is You: You have not lived until you've heard 20,000 people singing as loud as you can.

Beautiful Day: I always thought this song was overrated but it was sounded great live. Wasn't a Beautiful Day outside though.

Miracle Drug: Sounded so good that I relistened to HTDAAB the next day.

SYCMIOYO: Very emotional moment for Bono. It was performed beautifully.

LAPOE: Loved seeing Bono slamming away at those drums.

SBS: Bono told some guy to get off his cell phone. Besides that interruption, it was perfect.

BTBS: I just love how Larry's drumbeat slams into Bullet. Edge's guitar solo was just nasty. I can't put it any other way.

Miss Sarajevo: Another highlight for me.
Bono sounded great. He pulled off the opera part perfectly.

Pride: Always rocking. Always sounds great. The crowd kept the ohs up for a long time until it went into...

Streets: It blew the roof off the place. I LOVE THIS SONG!!! That's all I can really say about it. Completly perfect.

One: I loved seeing the lights from everyone's cell phones glowing in the otherwise dark Garden. This being my first concert, I really wanted to hear u2 play One, NOT Mary J. Blidge. Only dissapointing part of the concert for me.

The First Time: Never really cared for this song but it sounded good live. I would have liked to hear the ZooTV encore (which they were going to play but changed their mind at the last minute) but I was able to live with this instead.

Wild Horses: Sounded great. Edge had trouble tuning his guitar because he was using the one for Zoo Station. Bono made fun of him for it. It was great.

WOWY: Bono brought a girl on stage for a third of the song. Then he got a second girl for the next third. Towards the end, he brought this large guy with a beard on stage. It was hilarious!

ABOY: Sounded great. Very enegetic. Not much else to say about it.

Fast Cars: This was a surprise for me. I never heard this song before so it was nice to hear it. Bono did some sort of Mexican dance around the Edge. He looked like he was having a lot of fun.

Original of the Species: It was great to hear this instead of Yahweh. It sounded really good and had nice visuals to go with it.

40: Everyone in the Garden was screaming "How long to sing this song?" Great way to end a great night.

The show was really good but not as good as the two I saw in Vancouver. It was cool to hear Fast Cars but I couldn't disagree more with OliveU2cm. The crowd did not react well to this song at all. Everyone looked confused and the floor looked totally boring durring that song. Nobody knows it. Simple as that. Bono singing Pavarotti's part in Miss Sarajevo was amazing. And the funniest thing I had seen in a long time was when Bono pulled a huge dude up on stage durring WOWOY. Classic! I think what ruined it for me was that i had the worst seats you could possibly have. When I stood up my view was blocked from the stage. That totally sucks and those seats shouldn't even be sold. Other than that the sound was great and dispite the terrible seats the friend I went with said it was no doubt the bets show she's ever see. Ha! yes! I(well u2) converted another. I had to go all the way to New York but to increase the size of our clan you gotta do what you gotta do. Oh and as we were walking out of MSG the entire crowd started singing "How long to sing this song" again!!! We we're in the lobby and the crowd just kept getting louder and louder. That was awsome.

GretzkyU2Yanks said:
not much to add when Olive gives her reviews. Great stuff. I bailed on the GA line because of the rain but ended up in the corner on Adams side where I wanted to be anyway. Great perspective to be on the side. Inside would be better of course, damn lottery.

Thanks for the info on the setlist change, you could see them writing on each band members set list during the encore. I was wondering what got changed/added. At the time I thought it was Fast Cars since I hadnt seen Fri nights setlist and didnt know they had played it that night also. Glad to know the truth.
Great show.
talking about Arcade Fire, what is the PA going to play when they open for U2?? I have a boot from AF and they open with Wake Up so I dont know if they will play the same song on the PA that was just played live, or maybe AF wont play it....

Wouldn't it be amazing if they could work it out somehow that Acrade Fire actually plays the song live as U2 takes the stage. That would be a real moment right there and kind of a nice gesture by both bands. AF for doing it and U2 for letting them do it and get recognition for Wake Up which has been used as U2's entrance music all tour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom