01st November Los Angeles - Staples Center - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 AM
01st November Los Angeles - Staples Center

Please post all reviews of the November 1st show here.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Los Angeles, November 1

The boys seemed in great spirits tonight, and the crowd was great (which is not necessarily a given for a weeknight LA show) -a lot of fun moments (the band in their Larry Mullen Band t-shirts, Exit doing Out of Control . . .) - overall great energy in the place. This was my fourth show of the tour, and I actually came away startled at how fabulous the show was - you would think I would have learned by now not to underestimate this band.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Towards the end of the main set (?), Bono spotted the girls with their signs -- one said "It pays to advertise" and another said "The girls play rock and roll -- guitar, bass, drums, singing", signifying that they were a four piece band. Bono asked them, "what do you want to play?", and there was some back and forth. I thought maybe they couldn't hear each other, and a crew guy said "we'll get back to you." I thought they had missed their chance there.

Halfway through the encore, the crew guys brought them up, Edge handed Courtney the Explorer, Adam handed Susan a bass, Pamela sat behind Larry's drum kit and Trevi laughed nervously in front of the mike, whereupon they proceeded to rip into "Out Of Control", with U2 sitting down. Edge and Bono joined in later.

Bono brought up a girl for "With Or Without You", and managed not to lose his voice during the song.

Some lady in the ellipse held up a sign that said "Professor For Hire". Eventually Bono noticed it, approached her, and asked her, "What do you mean by that?" She gave him a verbal version of her CV and a book. Bono mumbled something about him getting books and Larry getting all the girls, or something like that. Alas, only now do I realize what I should have done -- I should have written a sign that said "I'm A Prof Too -- So What?" and tossed Bono the copy of Joe Silverman's "Advanced Topics in the Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves" that I had been reading while waiting in line. Sigh.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:17 AM
He also said that Edge gets the scientists (or was it nerds?) and Adam gets the big <insert body part>.

Great summary, btw, speedracer!

Oh, and the girl was DD aka Adam Groupie
Old 11-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #5
War Child

Quote:
Adam gets the big <insert body part>.
Whatwhat? Boobs or penises?

We shouldn't be ashamed about what God gave us!

And I cannot believe ppl can just go up there and do a U2 song. AT A U2 CONCERT!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

One last item -- Bono pulled up a ~8-10 year old girl (Mary, I think) from the ellipse during Sunday Bloody Sunday. He tried to get her to start off the "No more" chorus. Mary was understandably a bit shy about it, but managed to do it after three bars.

And according to this website, the girls have been playing as a band for quite a while now; they had their act together.

It started the other night with that dude in Dallas playing "Angel Of Harlem", and U2 decided hell with it, they'll go all the way with a cover band. I guess U2's music is way too good for them to keep to themselves.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Babyface

last night was unreal, I wanted to hear OofC so badly and didn't mind it was EXIT who played it, it sounded really good, what a great show

btw, it should be MAMACITAS and not Mama sitas =0)
Old 11-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by i_love_adam
Whatwhat? Boobs or penises?

We shouldn't be ashamed about what God gave us!

I believe he said "and Adam got the enormous penis"
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Babyface

Great show last night. The LA crowd was a little less "into it" than other shows I've been too but that could have just been the fact that it was a Tuesday night or maybe it seemed more like that because I wasn't on the floor like I was for the previous two shows I attended.

I thought Exit on stage was the most memorable moment of the night. The drummer...rocked. She was absolutely amazing to watch. It was one of those cool moments that you couldn't script any better.

As for U2, they were stellar as always. I liked the set list quite a bit and love Yahweh/40 as the closer. Overall, a typically great evening and I'm only bummed because I don't know when the next time is that I'll see them.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Babyface

Any recommendations for parking? The prepaid parking is not available on ticketmaster and the parking number provided by Staples keeps you on hold for 10+ minutes.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
War Child

Incredible show--was 100 times better than either of the 1st leg shows in Los Angeles. I was in the ellipse, and what an incredible experience! Highlights for me were Electric Co., LAPOE, MD, SYCMIYO, SBS, WOWY, Miss Sarjevo, Yahweh, Stuck, 40--and the girls from Exit playing OOC was a Top 10 moment for me out of all the 20 or so U2 shows I have seen. Overall, an incredible show--Bono's voice sounded great.

I still think a U2 show without Bad is a sin, but hopefully they will play it tonight. As far as the setlist is concerned, I think there are certain songs that IMO should not be played, or have really lost something. The first of which is Pride--this song just doesn;t do it for me anymore--but it is a moot point because it is the one song that will be played every night for eternity. But I will say that my biggest problem with Pride is that it is not a good choice to transition into Streets. Also, I have seen 3 shows and The Ocean was played twice--the whole arena goes to sleep--If you are going to play a song that 98% of the people do not know--it has to be an unptempo song, IMO. The First Time is one of my all time faves, but the acoustic version is lacking, and IMO it is PIANO that makes that song. My final comment is that I feel that this tour is marked by the boys putting on a amazing "show" whereas in past years I was always struck by how emotional and uplifting the shows were. Don't get me wrong, the emotion is still there, it's just the choice of songs, setlist, and song sequence I think takes away from the emotional element a bit.

I can't wait for tonight! By the way there is a great lot on Figueroa and 8th. 5-10 minute walk from Staples, and only $5!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Pride has been dropped from the setlist in previous tours, but the Pride/Streets/One troika is a fixture for this tour because of the Africa theme.

I do agree that this theme seems a bit forced musically (and lyrically with Streets, as Bono has admitted himself).

The other songs that have been used before Streets are Running To Stand Still, All I Want Is You, Bad (with a snippet of 40, Ruby Tuesday, or something else as a transition), and Please.

Oh yeah, there was that one show in New Orleans where it went Beautiful Day -> MLK -> Streets. Wouldn't mind hearing that again...
Old 11-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
War Child

What is great about the songs you mentioned is that they all soar into Streets whereas Pride uses the crowd to make the transition (oh oh oh oh oh's) to make the transition which I do not think is as powerful.

Oh, I aslo forgot to mention how much better Vertigo has gotten IMO. It was always a good solid rocker, but they seem to take their time with it a bit more, and it feels much more intense.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
War Child

i have to say i had a great time...more so because of bono's theatrics and the band's energy and mood rather than the setlist. i love achtung baby and i wish he'd played more songs from that album... i heard they played "who's gonna ride your wild horses" in some other shows and i was hoping they'd play it yesterday, but oh well. i loved how they played "the first time"... i would never have expected them to sing that song... what a treat. i was also disappointed that they didn't play bad or new year's day. nevertheless, i still had a great time singing along to everything else. and i thought bono's vocals on "miss sarajevo" was absolutely amazing.

i think the highlight was when the 4 girls went up on stage to play out of control. i donno about you but i think they were actually better than U2!

it was larry's birthday on halloween, so towards the end the four guys were wearing "the larry mullen band" t-shirts. that was cute.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
Refugee

Hi!

What an amazing night. I was next to to the sweet girl that Bono pulled up on stage. She really deserved it! Bono's voice was sounded amazing! Bono just had a great sense of humor last night. He really played with the audience. Amazing show!