Wow, no threads on today's ticket sale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
I'm surprised no-one's made a thread yet about the ticket sales today for Australia and New Zealand. I suppose this sale hasn't been publicised at all. I think Auckland has sold out now, but tickets are still available for the Aussie shows right now, though limited quantities in Sydney. Edit: Brisbane and Melbourne I GAs are all gone now.

I didn't need to get any myself, but I thought there'd at least be some discussion. Given the absence of a thread yet, I decided I'd make one now.

I wonder if we'll see any extra shows announced once these concerts sell out. I wonder if there will be any extra shows at all! There's certainly room in the schedule for one more in both Sydney and Melbourne ...

Last edited:
Yeah funny about the lack of a thread... but then again ticketmaster didn't exactly make it obvious that the sale was going ahead (except hidden in the faq and by searching). Ticketek at least made an effort.

Well, as for myself, i logged on at 7am and picked up a pair of seats for Auckland I (my mum is coming the first night) and a single GA for Auckland II without any trouble. I was originally going to Brisbane, both Melbourne and both Sydney shows, however like you Axver I'm first year at UQ and as you know Sydney is right in the middle of the exam period.

I'm really hoping that I won't have exams on Tuesday the 7th for Brisbane or the last day of exams (Melbourne I). I swear if someone puts an exam on that Saturday night I will be that off it!

Really can't wait.... bring on One Tree Hill!!!

ive been wondering the same thing: will there be extra shows?

its quite possible, a 3 day break between the brisbane show and the two sydeny shows, a 5 day break between sydney and adelaide (adelaide will definetly NOT get another date, the first just hasnt sold) and theres another long break between adelaide and melbourne.

auckland can also get an extra date :D

miracledrug83 said:
Yeah funny about the lack of a thread... but then again ticketmaster didn't exactly make it obvious that the sale was going ahead (except hidden in the faq and by searching). Ticketek at least made an effort.

My best guess is that they decided not to publicise it because there probably weren't many tickets made available and the demand from publicity would overwhelm the supply. (I'd love to see figures on how many tickets were handed back ...)

Well, as for myself, i logged on at 7am and picked up a pair of seats for Auckland I (my mum is coming the first night) and a single GA for Auckland II without any trouble. I was originally going to Brisbane, both Melbourne and both Sydney shows, however like you Axver I'm first year at UQ and as you know Sydney is right in the middle of the exam period.

I'm really hoping that I won't have exams on Tuesday the 7th for Brisbane or the last day of exams (Melbourne I). I swear if someone puts an exam on that Saturday night I will be that off it![/B]

Yeah, I'll be really pissed if any of my exams are on the 7th. I'm going down to Sydney and Melbourne anyway and I'll do my exams in the supplementary session in January, so I can just show UQ my airline and hotel bookings and hopefully they'll let me off, but I've got nothing to excuse me on the 7th. Ah well, only three of my subjects have exams; hopefully the schedule won't be bad.

By the way, what course are you doing? I'm in history and political science. I haven't yet many other serious U2 fans at UQ.

quadcaster said:

its quite possible, a 3 day break between the brisbane show and the two sydeny shows, a 5 day break between sydney and adelaide (adelaide will definetly NOT get another date, the first just hasnt sold) and theres another long break between adelaide and melbourne.

auckland can also get an extra date :D

I don't think Brisbane will get a second date, though it's possible - they got Popmart from Brisbane to Sydney with just a day's downtime, so a second show COULD be held on the 8th. But I really don't see it happening.

Sydney's gap just screams that there will be a third show there. I really hope they add one. The demand exists. And I'd say the same is true for Melbourne.

I don't think Auckland can get an extra date. A third show would have to take place on the 27th, and they have to be all the way up in Japan on the 29th. I don't think that's a realistic transport time unless they're using the arena stage in Japan.

I agree there is room for another Sydney show, but do you really think they would be able to sell out another show??? Personally, I think it would be a struggle.

OceanGirl said:
I agree there is room for another Sydney show, but do you really think they would be able to sell out another show??? Personally, I think it would be a struggle.

A struggle? I think it'd sell out in under two hours. Look at how fast the first two went. Third shows in Sydney and Melbourne would sell out easily if they were properly publicised.

And this made me laugh. I just checked Ticketek's website again. 10 minutes ago, Sydney II's GA had sold out. But now, it reads:

standing (arena) Limited seats only

Of course, one has to laugh at "limited SEATS" - what, do you get a free deckchair? :wink:

How long did the second Sydney show take to sell out? I can't remember, but I thought it took a while longer than the first show.

OceanGirl said:
How long did the second Sydney show take to sell out? I can't remember, but I thought it took a while longer than the first show.

It was pretty swift if I remember correctly, within the day. I know it started with a mad scramble for tickets.

No shows have sold sluggishly except for Hawaii and possibly Adelaide, though I think Adelaide's extra tickets came from a ticket drop and the main allocation released at the start sold out that very day.

OK, there's definitely more ticket dropping going on here. Half an hour ago, Sydney I's A Reserve and Sydney II's B Reserve both had "allocation exhausted", but now it's back to "limited seats only", and of course, there's the GA example I posted a few minutes ago.

I wonder how many tickets have been sold today. If they're already doing ticket drops, there must have been some decent demand despite the stark lack of promotion. :hmm:

I would've thought so at first, but i'm not so sure now. This is from an article that was posted on U2LOG:

A spokeswoman for the band's Australian promoter, Michael Coppel, said time restrictions meant the tour could never have made it to Perth.

"It's unfortunate - but we have to work within the dates provided by the group," she said.

"It takes days to set up the stage and with the group rescheduling dates in Hawaii and Tokyo we couldn't have fitted another Australian concert in."

When you think about it, it would be a little slack to say "oh no we can't fit in Perth" and then chuck in a few more shows at Sydney and Melbourne.

My best guess is that they decided not to publicise it because there probably weren't many tickets made available and the demand from publicity would overwhelm the supply. (I'd love to see figures on how many tickets were handed back

Yeah i guess that's right... but in way its pretty good because the fans are the ones who would most likely have gone to the effort to find out when they went on sale and are thus rewarded for it.

Yeah, I'll be really pissed if any of my exams are on the 7th. I'm going down to Sydney and Melbourne anyway and I'll do my exams in the supplementary session in January, so I can just show UQ my airline and hotel bookings and hopefully they'll let me off, but I've got nothing to excuse me on the 7th. Ah well, only three of my subjects have exams; hopefully the schedule won't be bad.

By the way, what course are you doing? I'm in history and political science. I haven't yet many other serious U2 fans at UQ.

I was going to try and pull something with UQ but in the end I decided that 5 was enough for me. When the dates started leaking I even considered deferring and working for six months. Let us know how it goes with UQ... i'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Oh, and for the 7th, worse comes to worse - doctors certificate. "Oh i just woke up this morning ... and i'm tired, and i just feel so exhausted." They don't need to know it was from U2!

As for my course - Law/Commerce. I too have yet to meet any fanatics... if you see a guy walking round campus with a U2 shirt on, chances are it's me lol. I really like it at UQ though - you enjoying it?

It was pretty swift if I remember correctly, within the day. I know it started with a mad scramble for tickets.

No shows have sold sluggishly except for Hawaii and possibly Adelaide, though I think Adelaide's extra tickets came from a ticket drop and the main allocation released at the start sold out that very day.

Oh ok. I thought it took a few days + the ticket drops that seemed to go on for weeks!

Ah well, I guess anything's possible....

miracledrug83 said:

I would've thought so at first, but i'm not so sure now. This is from an article that was posted on U2LOG:

When you think about it, it would be a little slack to say "oh no we can't fit in Perth" and then chuck in a few more shows at Sydney and Melbourne.

:hmm: Your interpretation could be valid, but I can see how it can be read other ways, too. That five day gap between Sydney and Adelaide is still screaming that there's an extra date there.

I was going to try and pull something with UQ but in the end I decided that 5 was enough for me. When the dates started leaking I even considered deferring and working for six months. Let us know how it goes with UQ... i'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Oh, and for the 7th, worse comes to worse - doctors certificate. "Oh i just woke up this morning ... and i'm tired, and i just feel so exhausted." They don't need to know it was from U2!

:lol: I suppose I could try that! In a way, missing exams could actually be a good thing, but it's too complex for me to really bother explaining, heh.

As for my course - Law/Commerce. I too have yet to meet any fanatics... if you see a guy walking round campus with a U2 shirt on, chances are it's me lol. I really like it at UQ though - you enjoying it?

Maybe we should start the UQ U2 club. :wink:

I quite like it at UQ too. I'm going down to Melbourne next year, but I'll be sad to leave UQ. I've had some really enjoyable classes and I quite like the St Lucia campus.

Wasn't it A reserves gone in 5 minutes for Sydney I... whole show (minus later ticket drops) gone in first 45 minutes?

Wasn't it A reserves gone in 5 minutes for Sydney I... whole show (minus later ticket drops) gone in first 45 minutes?

It was for the first show. Second show definitely wasn't sold out that quickly.

Edited : Sorry, I misread your post! I didn't notice the 1 at the end of Sydney! Sorry! Yes, you are right about that. :)

Last edited:
Ahhh all this ticket talk is bringing back the memories of camping out to get tickets... here's my foolproof plan:

1. Find a small rural town in NSW that you just happen to live near.
2. Sleep on the floor in one of you mum's offices for about 4 hours (10am- 2am) with you mum and girlfriend.
3. Wake up at 2am and rush 200m round the block to line up outside ticketek.
4. Have the street cleaner drive past at 3am and laugh at you.
5. Have two seperate police cars stop, question you, laugh at you and say "In all my years i've never seen anybody outside ticketek so early"
6. Don't have anyone show up until 6am and realise you've just wasted four hours of your life.
7. Have your mum take your place in the line while you go and monitor the new zealand ticket sales at the office on the net.
8. Send girlfriend around at 7:30am to wait in line for melbourne tickets
9. At around 9am, have three computers set up in front of you franatically hitting refresh while pressing redial on the speaker phone - no luck at all.
10. Panic at around 9:05 - only to get a call from both your mum and girlfriend with news that they both got everything we wanted. (Note: My girlfriend stayed at ticketmaster until 12 noon waiting for Brisbane tickets - not one person in all that time other than her purchased melbourne tickets, although the line for brisbane was crazy).
11. Jump for joy and monitor the net for news of second shows
12. Keep running around frantically between the office, ticketmaster and ticketek, trying to suck out any information about additional shows from the staff and providing food/water for ticket assistants.
13. Resume net refreshing at around 11:45pm
14. Get call at 12:05pm stating that the poor old couple running the outlet stuffed up and that we now had - 10 GAs to brisbane, 6 A Reserves and 3 B Reserves (We wanted 3 GAs and 3 B Reserves!).
15. Take additional tickets back after crowd dies down for refunds
16. Feel relaxed for about ten minutes until you realise you're going to have to do this all again in about a week.

Compared to Thursday July 27th, 2006:
1. Sleep in until 6am
2. Walk 10 metres to study. Have two computers set up with different ticketmaster accounts.
2. Log on at 7am and pull up tickets to both Auckland shows
3. Have breakfast at 7:04am

Just a slight difference...

I have to say this has all been rather poorly promoted...
I knew about the returned tickets going on sale today but thats only because I'm always on Interference! There hasnt been any mention in the papers or news (maybe todays paper? havent seen it yet).
Even when the new dates were announced there was only like a column on page 14 of the Advertiser about it.
For those referring to Adelaide sales, I believe it sold out the next day, from memory. It's actually Adelaide's largest concert ever, with 60,000 tickets sold. You have to remember the small population of Adelaide means its the equivalent of selling 180,000 in Melbourne and 240,000 in Sydney.

miracledrug83 said:
Just a slight difference...

Yeah, just a bit. :wink:

I did it all by computers myself. Myself and a friend were trying and we got through. It pays to refresh like mad and get in just before everyone else sees it's on sale and kills the server.

And I agree with ChargedVT about the poor promotion. Hell, I run a U2 fan site and I barely knew the sale was today. But at least Ticketmaster/Ticketek can now claim they've had a U2 sale that didn't crash their servers! :lol:

Though despite the lack of promotion, right now, Sydney II is sold out and all you can get for Sydney I are limited seats in C Reserve No Alcohol and single seats in B Reserve Limited View.

Well, since my dream of going to europe is over...

I have a GA for Adelaide, a GA for the 2nd Melbourne Show (from ebay!!!)

So 4 more U2 shows for me this november! :)

Axver, I dare say I will be in melbourne when U2 arrive, i'll be at the shows!...however i'm not sure on about where I will be staying...yet.

Last edited:
bono_man2002 said:
Axver, I dare say I will be in melbourne when U2 arrive, i'll be at the shows!...however i'm not sure on about where I will be staying...yet.

I'll see you there then! I'm working out accommodation now ... probably going to get a hotel.

Back
Top Bottom