Will they add 2nd Seattle and Vancouver shows this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newtshoe said:

I live on Vancouver Island (Nanaimo) and it is 'the thing' we have to deal with (Staying over night that is). If want to see anything in Vancouver it's an overnighter. To me and to most Islanders it is no big deal to stay over night, as it's part of going to a show. We all budget for it. You'd be surprised how many people travel over to see a show. I could anywhere from 1000 to 2000 people from the Island. I went to a canucks game last year and on the fast passenger ferry there were 300 people on it all going over to see a canucks game on that one particular sailing. So for U2 it isn't out of the question to have a large number from VIlanders.

Did you get the tickets you wanted for the Vancouver show? Which one? Their both soldout now after 90 minutes of the first show going on sale!

WOW! All shows are now soldout in Seattle(2 shows), Vancouver(2 shows), Phoenix(2 shows)! Denver before this had two speedy sellouts! These are the softer markets and is amazing to see them sellout nearly as fast as the big markets with these ticket price levels. The band could easily sellout another show in all these markets or alternatively play to a full stadium in these markets. Perhaps even more, because the true level of demand is masked by the speed of these sellouts. It could be double of what it is. All of these markets took time(days or weeks) to sellout single shows on the Elevation tour. The 2nd Denver show played on the third leg of the Elevation tour actually only soldout in a slightly reduced configeration for seating capacity. Now, both Denver shows soldout in minutes. More proof that the band should be booked in Stadiums rather than Arena's! The downside to all these quick sellouts are the thousands of fans in every city who worked hard to get tickets but were unable to obtain them! Once again, the band should be booked in Stadiums.

Newtshoe said:

Yup 4 tickets. Seciton 315, Row 4, Seat 1-4.

I am so happy to have got 4 tickets together.

At the back of the arena, but at least your in the door!:up:

I saw the Pittsburgh show for Elevation from similar seats and it was awesome!

Like I said...

NoControl said:
The first Vancouver show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually - but only because of the fact there's no other Canadian shows scheduled for the first leg (or at least so far), not because there's demand here for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The first Seattle show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually - but only because of the fact there's no shows scheduled in Portland (or at least so far), not because there's demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The second Denver show will sellout, primarily because of the fact there's no shows scheduled in Salt Lake City or Kansas City (that are relatively nearby) yet (or maybe not at all), not because there's a great demand there for two shows, considering the prices they're charging.

The first Phoenix area show will sellout fast. And then the second show will eventually - but primarily because there's no Las Vegas show scheduled (or at least so far), not because there's a great demand in this market for a second show, considering the prices they're charging.

STING2 said:

At the back of the arena, but at least your in the door!:up:

I saw the Pittsburgh show for Elevation from similar seats and it was awesome!

Exactly, in the door;) I mean one can go on about getting the best seat but really, I have a ticket as well as my friends. There are a hell of a lot of people wish they had a ticket. I've always taken that attitude. Any seat in a high profile concert is a good seat and you take what ticketmaster gives you because if you don't you don't get anything. I didn't even attempt GA's because if you take the time to go for those then you're done. You only get one shot at it.

NoControl said:
Like I said...

"The first Vancouver show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually"

Umm yep, try; and when the second show goes on sale, it will sellout in MINUTES!

"The first Seattle show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually"

Once again, you should have said; and when the second show goes on sale, it will sellout in MINUTES!

The only major market that has any impact on the Vancouver market is Seattle! The fact that U2 are not playing shows in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal has no impact on ticket sales in Vancouver. The number of people who would pay the expense and take of the time to travel that far is to small to impact anything in Vancouver.

For one major market to impact another, the markets have to at least be within 3 hours driving time of each other.

Denver is not even remotely close to any other major markets and as people there have said, its up to the people of Denver whether something sells out there or not.

By every single variable one can list, demand to see U2 on this tour is stronger than any tour since ZOO TV. The demand for this tour is just incredible!

"Eventually" for me is a little more than a half hour. :)

Demand is unbelievable. PHX1 in 12 minutes - venue is larger than AWA (19,000 with floor) where they played Elevation. PHX2 in about 30 minutes - all this in the lowest wage city on the tour. Amazing. The only way slow this band down is to put out a crap album - and fast!

I agree with the stadium comments - but wouldn't have before these dates went so fast. It's a bit moot for 1st leg as the stage isn't going to be ready before summer - so if they want to tour before June it needs to be arenas. I have to think U2 will look long and hard at Stadiums in NA for part of the 3rd leg. It may be stadiums and arenas.

Part of me wonders if U2 just may carry on past Australia - into 2006. I guess it depends on fall demand.

This is amazing. It'll be interesting to see how their recently "soft" markets in the midwest and places in the south fare.

If they go very fast.......hold onto your hats. :eyebrow:

Originally posted by STING2 "The first Vancouver show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually"

Umm yep, try; and when the second show goes on sale, it will sellout in MINUTES!

"The first Seattle show will sellout fast. And then when the second show goes on sale, it'll sellout eventually"

Once again, you should have said; and when the second show goes on sale, it will sellout in MINUTES!

This coming from someone who wasn't even sure that there would be second shows in these markets...lol

Originally posted by STING2 The only major market that has any impact on the Vancouver market is Seattle! The fact that U2 are not playing shows in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal has no impact on ticket sales in Vancouver. The number of people who would pay the expense and take of the time to travel that far is to small to impact anything in Vancouver.

For one major market to impact another, the markets have to at least be within 3 hours driving time of each other.

Denver is not even remotely close to any other major markets and as people there have said, its up to the people of Denver whether something sells out there or not.

LOL. You should read this board for starters and see just how wrong you are. There are plently of people coming from all over North America to these shows. Also, I guess you know every single Canadian fan to come to your conclusion? I guess if a U2 fan lived 3 and a half hours from Denver, then they wouldn't be driving there to see them live? LOL You see, this is why I keep coming back to this board. Your posts just keep getting more ridiculous time after time.

Originally posted by STING2 By every single variable one can list, demand to see U2 on this tour is stronger than any tour since ZOO TV. The demand for this tour is just incredible!

Is that a joke?

Shit, you've got a lot to learn. No offense.

I can guarantee you that if U2 booked shows on this first leg in Portland, Edmonton/Calgary & Winnipeg, etc., there wouldn't be demand for second shows in Vancouver & Seattle. In Denver however, there still would be, but the second show wouldn't sellout.

"This coming from someone who wasn't even sure that there would be second shows in these markets...lol"

I was sure the demand was there, but I thought they might play elsewhere or reserve those markets for multiple shows in the fall. Once again, not playing an additional show does not necessarily mean they would not be able to.

"LOL. You should read this board for starters and see just how wrong you are. There are plently of people coming from all over North America to these shows. Also, I guess you know every single Canadian fan to come to your conclusion? I guess if a U2 fan lived 3 and a half hours from Denver, then they wouldn't be driving there to see them live? LOL You see, this is why I keep coming back to this board. Your posts just keep getting more ridiculous time after time."

If you would read my posts, you would see that I stated the fact that I understood there would be people from all over the country at those shows, just as there is with any show. But I also said that the number of people from these other area's would not be large enough to have an impact on ticket sales.

One does not need to know every Canadian fan to come to my conclusion, one just needs to understand a little economics and realize that the majority of fans are not going to pay the travel and lodging expenses involved to see a show that is far enough to require and overnight stay. Especially when the band is or will eventually be coming to area's that are in these fans hometowns or close by.

Most U2 fans I know would not drive the 3 hours to New York City or 4 hours to Pittsburgh to see a show. Most fans would rather wait for the band to come to a place that is closer to them rather than having to spend the extra money involved with staying overnight in another city.

If someone lives far away enough from any of the markets, that in order to see U2 at all, it would require them to take off work and stay overnight in another city, then I could see more people in such a situation taking that option. But the number of people in that situation is tiny and would not impact ticket sales in any market.

"LOL You see, this is why I keep coming back to this board. Your posts just keep getting more ridiculous time after time.""

Well there is nothing like the truth. Thanks for giving us all the real reason you keep coming to this board. We already know that you "don't respect" U2 anymore. The majority of your 208 posts center around one general theme, and its interesting to see your reactions to other posters who simply disagree with your views.

"Is that a joke?"

"Shit, you've got a lot to learn. No offense"

Interesting, will add these to the pile of other quotes.

"I can guarantee you that if U2 booked shows on this first leg in Portland, Edmonton/Calgary & Winnipeg, etc., there wouldn't be demand for second shows in Vancouver & Seattle. In Denver however, there still would be, but the second show wouldn't sellout."

I can guarantee you that if U2 were to book shows in these 3 cities( Portland, Edmonton/Calgary & Winnipeg) right now, they would all sellout in minutes. We have yet to see a single show on this tour sellout "Eventually" although that was your prediction for both Seattle and Vancouver.

Its obvious to myself and many others that the demand for this tour is even higher than we expected.

Of course, we could make a poll out of this and see what the other intelligent members of the forum think about this.

We could also do a poll to see how many people are traveling more than 3 hours distance to either the Seattle or Vancouver shows.

The fact is, the demand to see U2 on this tour is higher than any U2 tour since ZOO TV. I have two dozen die hard U2 fans who don't have any tickets despite their best efforts and we've all been able to get into some fast sellout U2 shows in the past that were not in stadiums.

Most of us would love to have eventual sellouts because that would mean we would all get to see the band, but the results so far show a tour that is able to sellout anywhere in minutes and is making it incredibly difficult even for the most hardcore fans to even get in the door.

Originally posted by STING2 I was sure the demand was there, but I thought they might play elsewhere or reserve those markets for multiple shows in the fall. Once again, not playing an additional show does not necessarily mean they would not be able to.

BS.

Originally posted by STING2 If you would read my posts, you would see that I stated the fact that I understood there would be people from all over the country at those shows, just as there is with any show. But I also said that the number of people from these other area's would not be large enough to have an impact on ticket sales.

Well, the evidence from fans on this board proves you wrong. Not to mention the ten of thousands of others who are making their way to these markets to see U2.

Originally posted by STING2 One does not need to know every Canadian fan to come to my conclusion, one just needs to understand a little economics and realize that the majority of fans are not going to pay the travel and lodging expenses involved to see a show that is far enough to require and overnight stay. Especially when the band is or will eventually be coming to area's that are in these fans hometowns or close by.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Originally posted by STING2 Most U2 fans I know would not drive the 3 hours to New York City or 4 hours to Pittsburgh to see a show. Most fans would rather wait for the band to come to a place that is closer to them rather than having to spend the extra money involved with staying overnight in another city.

"YOU KNOW" We're not talking about just the two dozen fans you know. LOL And of course fans would rather see U2 in their hometowns, but U2's not playing many cities on this tour (at least so far), so they have to travel to see them. Duh!

Originally posted by STING2 If someone lives far away enough from any of the markets, that in order to see U2 at all, it would require them to take off work and stay overnight in another city, then I could see more people in such a situation taking that option. But the number of people in that situation is tiny and would not impact ticket sales in any market.

Prove it's tiny.

Originally posted by STING2 Well there is nothing like the truth. Thanks for giving us all the real reason you keep coming to this board. We already know that you "don't respect" U2 anymore. The majority of your 208 posts center around one general theme, and its interesting to see your reactions to other posters who simply disagree with your views.

You got that right. There is nothing like the truth.

Originally posted by STING2 Interesting, will add these to the pile of other quotes.

You do that. And when you do, make sure you're not foaming at the mouth, will ya?

Originally posted by STING2 "I can guarantee you that if U2 booked shows on this first leg in Portland, Edmonton/Calgary & Winnipeg, etc., there wouldn't be demand for second shows in Vancouver & Seattle. In Denver however, there still would be, but the second show wouldn't sellout."

I can guarantee you that if U2 were to book shows in these 3 cities( Portland, Edmonton/Calgary & Winnipeg) right now, they would all sellout in minutes. We have yet to see a single show on this tour sellout "Eventually" although that was your prediction for both Seattle and Vancouver.

We have yet to see you predict anything about this tour this is correct in any way shape or form. And you can characterize "eventually" any way you want to. Because that's the only thing you have to go on, isn't it?

Originally posted by STING2 "Its obvious to myself and many others that the demand for this tour is even higher than we expected.

Of course, we could make a poll out of this and see what the other intelligent members of the forum think about this.

We could also do a poll to see how many people are traveling more than 3 hours distance to either the Seattle or Vancouver shows.

Doing a poll wouldn't reflect how many people overall would travel to see them live. Since this board obviously doesn't represent the entire U2 fanbase, now does it? Shit, do I have to spell it out for you?

Originally posted by STING2 "The fact is, the demand to see U2 on this tour is higher than any U2 tour since ZOO TV. I have two dozen die hard U2 fans who don't have any tickets despite their best efforts and we've all been able to get into some fast sellout U2 shows in the past that were not in stadiums.

Incorrect. U2 will sell no more than 1.2 Million tickets in North America on this tour. Minus return, it'll be around 1 Million. In North America, the PopMart tour performed to around 1.65 Million. The ZOO TV tour performed to around 2.4 Million, 2 Million minus return. The Elevation tour performed to 1.4 Million, 1.1 Million minus return. And don't give me the fact that ticket prices were cheaper back then as having an effect on attendance because I know that. But that fact is, it still doesn't add up in relation to past prices, apart from a few markets.

Originally posted by STING2 "Most of us would love to have eventual sellouts because that would mean we would all get to see the band, but the results so far show a tour that is able to sellout anywhere in minutes and is making it incredibly difficult even for the most hardcore fans to even get in the door. [/B]

Ticket brokers/scalpers have up to 50% of the house, since they're in bed with ticketbastard who's in bed with CC.

No Control,

"Well, the evidence from fans on this board proves you wrong. Not to mention the ten of thousands of others who are making their way to these markets to see U2."

"Doing a poll wouldn't reflect how many people overall would travel to see them live. Since this board obviously doesn't represent the entire U2 fanbase, now does it? Shit, do I have to spell it out for you?"

So in one case there are enough fans on the board to prove someone incorrect on such questions and then in the other qoute your claiming that the board does not represent enough of the fanbase to make such claims.

""YOU KNOW" We're not talking about just the two dozen fans you know. LOL And of course fans would rather see U2 in their hometowns, but U2's not playing many cities on this tour (at least so far), so they have to travel to see them. Duh!"

Most fans don't have the time or the money to travel and stay overnight in other cities. Its one thing to have 100 dollars to pay for a ticket to a show in the city you live near or semi- close to. Its another thing to have to get out of work, travel a distance that requires you to spend the night in another city, and spend 3 to 4 times the amount of money it would take to see the band in or near your hometown. Most people or fans faced with the increased costs and difficulties to see the band in a city that is faraway enough to require significant travel and an overnight stay will elect not to go.

Most people do not have unlimited funds and time to follow the band around and that is why these hardcore fans are a minority and typically are only large enough at the opening date of the tour, to effect ticket sales.

"Prove it's tiny."

The majority of fans are not going to pay double or triple the face value of a tickets on this tour to see the band in their hometown. Likewise, most are not going to to travel far and stay overnight in another city to see the band, because the total cost of doing so could be two to 3 times the cost of the ticket itself.

"We have yet to see you predict anything about this tour this is correct in any way shape or form. And you can characterize "eventually" any way you want to. Because that's the only thing you have to go on, isn't it?"

Listen, both shows for Seattle and Vancouver soldout in minutes, not eventually.

I do not understand what your talking about when you say "Because that's the only think you have to go on"?

If I have made an incorrect prediction about some aspect of this tour, what is it?

"Incorrect. U2 will sell no more than 1.2 Million tickets in North America on this tour. Minus return, it'll be around 1 Million. In North America, the PopMart tour performed to around 1.65 Million. The ZOO TV tour performed to around 2.4 Million, 2 Million minus return. The Elevation tour performed to 1.4 Million, 1.1 Million minus return. And don't give me the fact that ticket prices were cheaper back then as having an effect on attendance because I know that. But that fact is, it still doesn't add up in relation to past prices, apart from a few markets"

Its not the total number of tickets sold on the tour which alone determines the demand for the tour. Its each individual market and whether the band successfully met all the demand in each market, and simply playing 4 soldout shows in one market does not by itself mean that all the demand was met for that market.

The number of shows and type of venues played will determine the number of tickets sold in total for the tour and right now, it has still not been confirmed how many shows the band will be playing on the third leg of the tour or what venues will be played.

The band's sellouts in every market in North America have been very impressive and the speed of the sellouts regardless of the size of the market is the most impressive performance I've seen since the ZOO TV tour. Nothing on POPMART or Elevation indicated a demand level of the size we are seeing for Vertigo so far. I've not said that demand is equal to that on ZOO TV, just that I've not in general seen this level of demand for U2 since that tour.

"BS"
"You don't have a clue what you're talking about."
"Duh!"
"Shit, do I have to spell it out for you?"
"And when you do, make sure you're not foaming at the mouth, will ya?"

Would you say that such comments are a respectful way to discuss topics with other members of the forum? Would you say they are consistant with the faq/rules page you agreed to upon becoming a member of the forum?

Originally posted by STING2 So in one case there are enough fans on the board to prove someone incorrect on such questions and then in the other qoute your claiming that the board does not represent enough of the fanbase to make such claims.

You're taking my comments out of context. You really know how to twist things...

Originally posted by STING2 Most fans don't have the time or the money to travel and stay overnight in other cities. Its one thing to have 100 dollars to pay for a ticket to a show in the city you live near or semi- close to. Its another thing to have to get out of work, travel a distance that requires you to spend the night in another city, and spend 3 to 4 times the amount of money it would take to see the band in or near your hometown. Most people or fans faced with the increased costs and difficulties to see the band in a city that is faraway enough to require significant travel and an overnight stay will elect not to go.

So you know "most fans" and what they do with their money then? And the markets that I mentioned that aren't being played are relatively close to the markets that have shows already. Oh btw, many U2 fans I know in this city are traveling to Seattle, San Diego, San Jose, etc., to see U2 this year. But of course that doesn't mean anything to you, because you'll find a way of sliding by that one in order to make it look like U2 are more popular than they are, as usual.

Originally posted by STING2 Most people do not have unlimited funds and time to follow the band around and that is why these hardcore fans are a minority and typically are only large enough at the opening date of the tour, to effect ticket sales.

Again, do you know "most people"?

Originally posted by STING2 The majority of fans are not going to pay double or triple the face value of a tickets on this tour to see the band in their hometown. Likewise, most are not going to to travel far and stay overnight in another city to see the band, because the total cost of doing so could be two to 3 times the cost of the ticket itself.

That's not proof.

Originally posted by STING2 Listen, both shows for Seattle and Vancouver soldout in minutes, not eventually.

Listen, "eventually" does not have a time frame attached to it. The fact is, is that I knew that there were going to be two shows in Phoenix, Seattle, Vancouver & Denver because of the way the first leg is scheduled and I was right. Do you really think that since they knew there was going to be demand in these markets to warrant second shows in Arenas that they would choose to do an Arena tour instead of a Stadium tour? Give me a break.

Originally posted by STING2 I do not understand what your talking about when you say "Because that's the only think you have to go on"?

That doesn't surprise me.

Originally posted by STING2 If I have made an incorrect prediction about some aspect of this tour, what is it?

You said that you haven't seen demand like this since the ZOO TV tour, for starters...

Originally posted by STING2 Its not the total number of tickets sold on the tour which alone determines the demand for the tour. Its each individual market and whether the band successfully met all the demand in each market, and simply playing 4 soldout shows in one market does not by itself mean that all the demand was met for that market.

The number of shows and type of venues played will determine the number of tickets sold in total for the tour and right now, it has still not been confirmed how many shows the band will be playing on the third leg of the tour or what venues will be played.

The band's sellouts in every market in North America have been very impressive and the speed of the sellouts regardless of the size of the market is the most impressive performance I've seen since the ZOO TV tour. Nothing on POPMART or Elevation indicated a demand level of the size we are seeing for Vertigo so far. I've not said that demand is equal to that on ZOO TV, just that I've not in general seen this level of demand for U2 since that tour.

You know, semantically you can slice it any way you want, but the numbers don't lie, for just about every market or otherwise.

Originally posted by STING2 Would you say that such comments are a respectful way to discuss topics with other members of the forum? Would you say they are consistant with the faq/rules page you agreed to upon becoming a member of the forum? [/B]

Would you say that you're hopeless?

NoControl,

"So you know "most fans" and what they do with their money then? And the markets that I mentioned that aren't being played are relatively close to the markets that have shows already. Oh btw, many U2 fans I know in this city are traveling to Seattle, San Diego, San Jose, etc., to see U2 this year. But of course that doesn't mean anything to you, because you'll find a way of sliding by that one in order to make it look like U2 are more popular than they are, as usual."

One does not have to know "most fans" in order to accurately estimate that most fans are not going to spend the money required to travel and to see the band in a city that would require and overnight stay. This essentially triples the cost of going to the show. Any economist would tell you that the number of people willing to travel from a city a thousand miles away to see a U2 show is going to be a tiny fraction of the number of U2 fans in that city. Any travel and lodging expenses get added to the cost of seeing U2 live. There are certainly a large number of U2 fans willing to pay an average of $90 dollars to see U2, but few would pay $300 dollars to see the band play and that is what the cost could come out to for many people that are traveling and staying overnight. Then, there are the complications of taking off work and being away from home. It certainly can be arranged some of the time, but not all the time.

"Listen, "eventually" does not have a time frame attached to it. The fact is, is that I knew that there were going to be two shows in Phoenix, Seattle, Vancouver & Denver because of the way the first leg is scheduled and I was right. Do you really think that since they knew there was going to be demand in these markets to warrant second shows in Arenas that they would choose to do an Arena tour instead of a Stadium tour? Give me a break."

Eventually does not suggest a quick sellout and you made a point of mentioning that the second shows would not sell nearly as fast as the first ones. But hey, take in stride, that was probably the conservative estimate of the bands management as well. The band's management has an idea of what demand could be, but they do not precisely know what it will be. U2 did an arena tour to kick of ZOO TV to test the waters to see what the demand was like. In this case, second shows were added after the first one's soldout so quickly, but it appears the band's management was surprised by the speed of the first Denver sellout as the second show did not go on sale until 6 days later. That show soldout just as quick and then the next day, all the shows for Phoenix, Seattle and Vancouver went on sale.

"You said that you haven't seen demand like this since the ZOO TV tour, for starters..."

So what is incorrect about that statement? Do you think demand for the Elevation tour or POPMART tour is greater than it is for the Vertigo tour?

"BS"
"Duh!"
"Would you say that you're hopeless?"

Would you say that such comments are a respectful way to discuss topics with other members of the forum? Would you say they are consistant with the faq/rules page you agreed to upon becoming a member of the forum?

STING2 said:
NoControl,
One does not have to know "most fans" in order to accurately estimate that most fans are not going to spend the money required to travel and to see the band in a city that would require and overnight stay. This essentially triples the cost of going to the show. Any economist would tell you that the number of people willing to travel from a city a thousand miles away to see a U2 show is going to be a tiny fraction of the number of U2 fans in that city. Any travel and lodging expenses get added to the cost of seeing U2 live. There are certainly a large number of U2 fans willing to pay an average of $90 dollars to see U2, but few would pay $300 dollars to see the band play and that is what the cost could come out to for many people that are traveling and staying overnight. Then, there are the complications of taking off work and being away from home. It certainly can be arranged some of the time, but not all the time.

You're like a xerox machine.

Prove it.

Originally posted by STING2 Eventually does not suggest a quick sellout and you made a point of mentioning that the second shows would not sell nearly as fast as the first ones. But hey, take in stride, that was probably the conservative estimate of the bands management as well. The band's management has an idea of what demand could be, but they do not precisely know what it will be. U2 did an arena tour to kick of ZOO TV to test the waters to see what the demand was like. In this case, second shows were added after the first one's soldout so quickly, but it appears the band's management was surprised by the speed of the first Denver sellout as the second show did not go on sale until 6 days later. That show soldout just as quick and then the next day, all the shows for Phoenix, Seattle and Vancouver went on sale.

To you it doesn't suggest a quick sellout. And not necessarily regarding Denver. It just might have been that many other shows went on sale that day and they didn't want too much congestion. Also, If I knew there was going to be a second Denver show, then U2 would definitely know that there was going to be one.

The vast majority of the time, U2 know what the demand is going to be like (but there's always a few surprises, like in Europe). And then they book the tour accordingly...

Originally posted by STING2 So what is incorrect about that statement?

It's wrong. Duh! You also said that European attendance for the Vertigo tour would be around 50% higher than the Elevation tour. When it's going to be much higher - just like I said.

Originally posted by STING2 Do you think demand for the Elevation tour or POPMART tour is greater than it is for the Vertigo tour?

Dealing with what terms? Ticket prices?

Originally posted by STING2 Would you say that such comments are a respectful way to discuss topics with other members of the forum? Would you say they are consistant with the faq/rules page you agreed to upon becoming a member of the forum?

Would you say that if a sense of humour came up behind you and bit you in the ass, would you know it was there?

No Control,

"BS"
"Duh!"
"Would you say that if a sense of humour came up behind you and bit you in the ass, would you know it was there?"
"You're like a xerox machine."
"It's wrong. Duh!"

What is the point in making such comments? How are the above comments consistent with the faq/rules you agreed to follow upon becoming a member of this website?

"Prove it."

Any understanding of basic economics would show you that when the price of doing something is several times what one would normally pay for that activity, less people are willing to do that activity. The cost associated with traveling and staying overnight in another city will be to much for most fans in the Calgary area to go to Vancouver. Most U2 fans are not willing to pay 300 or 400 dollars to see the Vertigo tour and that is what they would be paying in many of these travel and overnight stay senerio's. Its basic economics. The demand by people in Edmonton/Calgary to see U2 in Edmonton/Calgary is higher than the demand by people in Edmonton/Calgary to see U2 in Vancouver BC. The number of people in Edmonton/Calgary willing to see U2 for $90 is far larger than the number of Edmonton/Calgary people willing to see U2 in Vancouver for $300 to $400.

"To you it doesn't suggest a quick sellout. And not necessarily regarding Denver. It just might have been that many other shows went on sale that day and they didn't want too much congestion. Also, If I knew there was going to be a second Denver show, then U2 would definitely know that there was going to be one."

Your the one who made the point of saying that Seattle one would sellout quickly and then that Seattle 2 would sellout "eventually". You were careful to point out that one would sellout fast and the other would not sellout quickly, but eventually.

The first Denver show was put on sale at 10:00 AM Mountain time, well after shows to the East had already soldout and an hour before shows on the West Coast would go onsale. The first show in Denver soldout and minutes and the second show if they were prepared could have been added and soldout well before any shows on the west coast went onsale. No congestion problem at all.

"The vast majority of the time, U2 know what the demand is going to be like (but there's always a few surprises, like in Europe). And then they book the tour accordingly..."

If you look at their touring history, that is often not the case. There are good examples of the band testing the waters on both Joshua Tree and obviously ZOO TV.

The band new full well that they would not be playing any where near to what the level of demand was to see the band on the Elevation tour in Europe. The Elevation tour was origionally supposed to just be 5 months with the Slane shows being the last shows. The Slane shows were the only outdoor shows planned and Turin was thrown in as a way to prepare for the outdoor Slane gigs.

"It's wrong. Duh! You also said that European attendance for the Vertigo tour would be around 50% higher than the Elevation tour. When it's going to be much higher - just like I said."

The demand for the Vertigo tour is higher than demand for either the Elevation tour or POPMART tour so your statement is incorrect.

In addition, I have said that the Vertigo tour has demand that is at least 50% higher than anything seen on POPMART. I never made any statement about European attendance for the Vertigo tour. The tour promoter just recently said that the band could sellout a full week of shows in Dublin, something that your beloved Pink Floyd could not even do for one show there, and in fact had to cancel their show at the smaller RDS in 1988 because not enough people bought tickets.

"Dealing with what terms? Ticket prices?"

I'm talking general demand regardless of ticket prices. The number of people seeking to see U2 in concert this year compared to POPMART and Elevation.

Originally posted by STING2 What is the point in making such comments? How are the above comments consistent with the faq/rules you agreed to follow upon becoming a member of this website?

Any understanding of basic economics would show you that when the price of doing something is several times what one would normally pay for that activity, less people are willing to do that activity. The cost associated with traveling and staying overnight in another city will be to much for most fans in the Calgary area to go to Vancouver. Most U2 fans are not willing to pay 300 or 400 dollars to see the Vertigo tour and that is what they would be paying in many of these travel and overnight stay senerio's. Its basic economics. The demand by people in Edmonton/Calgary to see U2 in Edmonton/Calgary is higher than the demand by people in Edmonton/Calgary to see U2 in Vancouver BC. The number of people in Edmonton/Calgary willing to see U2 for $90 is far larger than the number of Edmonton/Calgary people willing to see U2 in Vancouver for $300 to $400.

What is the point repeating yourself over and over again?

Prove it.

Originally posted by STING2 Your the one who made the point of saying that Seattle one would sellout quickly and then that Seattle 2 would sellout "eventually". You were careful to point out that one would sellout fast and the other would not sellout quickly, but eventually.

I never said that the second shows would not sellout quickly.

Originally posted by STING2 The first Denver show was put on sale at 10:00 AM Mountain time, well after shows to the East had already soldout and an hour before shows on the West Coast would go onsale. The first show in Denver soldout and minutes and the second show if they were prepared could have been added and soldout well before any shows on the west coast went onsale. No congestion problem at all.

Who's to say that there still weren't people online trying to purchase seats. And who's to say that U2 knew that tickets to many of the shows would sellout fast, hence not knowing that there would be time to schedule a second show at that particular moment, as they were probably expecting them to sellout slower? Among a million other possibilities...

Originally posted by STING2 If you look at their touring history, that is often not the case. There are good examples of the band testing the waters on both Joshua Tree and obviously ZOO TV.

No. Just the first two indoor legs of the ZOO TV tour. And it was because of such a drastically different musical style that they weren't sure would sell, since they planned the first leg before the album came out and the fact they hadn't toured North America in over 4 years.

Originally posted by STING2 The band new full well that they would not be playing any where near to what the level of demand was to see the band on the Elevation tour in Europe. The Elevation tour was origionally supposed to just be 5 months with the Slane shows being the last shows. The Slane shows were the only outdoor shows planned and Turin was thrown in as a way to prepare for the outdoor Slane gigs.

They definitely didn't think that they would be able to sellout Stadiums with the prices they were charging on the European leg beforehand - that's why they played Arenas. But afterwards, well that's a completely different story.

Originally posted by STING2 The demand for the Vertigo tour is higher than demand for either the Elevation tour or POPMART tour so your statement is incorrect.

How so? Since in North America they won't sell as many tickets this year compared to the Elevation tour. And as for Europe, it is technically because the European leg of the Elevation tour was heavily underbooked, after the fact. But if U2 had done a Stadium tour on the European leg in 2001, sales of the European leg for the Vertigo tour would absolutely be less compartively.

Originally posted by STING2 In addition, I have said that the Vertigo tour has demand that is at least 50% higher than anything seen on POPMART. I never made any statement about European attendance for the Vertigo tour.

You're full of it. You said the Elevation tour. And you did say that European attendance would be up to 50% higher this year than compared to the Elevation tour. When in reality it's going to be double that, or even more - just like I said.

Originally posted by STING2 The tour promoter just recently said that the band could sellout a full week of shows in Dublin, something that your beloved Pink Floyd could not even do for one show there, and in fact had to cancel their show at the smaller RDS in 1988 because not enough people bought tickets.

That's totally false. U2 could not sellout 7 nights at Croke Park at the prices they're charging today - promoters are paid to create hype and demand. There is demand for a third show however.

As for the largest drawing and highest selling band in the world, Pink Floyd: the only markets in the world where U2 would be able to outdraw them today are:

Ireland
Japan
Edmonton
Chicago

With the other 150+ major markets in the world, Pink Floyd would crush them quite easily.

Originally posted by STING2 I'm talking general demand regardless of ticket prices. The number of people seeking to see U2 in concert this year compared to POPMART and Elevation. [/B]

Well then, it would be impossible to determine demand like that. Because it all depends on how much you're charging for tickets. I mean, Styx could sellout Stadiums (god help us!) today if they priced their tickets accordingly...

No Control,

You haven't answered my questions in regards to the following, so that is why I have posted it several times.

"BS"
"Duh!"
"Would you say that if a sense of humour came up behind you and bit you in the ass, would you know it was there?"
"You're like a xerox machine."
"It's wrong. Duh!"

What is the point in making such comments? How are the above comments consistent with the faq/rules you agreed to follow upon becoming a member of this website?

"Prove it."

I take it you have not read anything I said about why most fans would not travel stay overnight in another city. If you don't understand basic economics or are unwilling to learn, then I can't help you.

"I never said that the second shows would not sellout quickly."

You made a clear distinction between how the first show would sell and how the second show would sell. You said the first shows would sellout quickly and then the second shows would sellout eventually.

"No. Just the first two indoor legs of the ZOO TV tour. And it was because of such a drastically different musical style that they weren't sure would sell, since they planned the first leg before the album came out and the fact they hadn't toured North America in over 4 years"

The first leg of the Joshua Tree tour was in Arena's with the exception of the Stadium show near Detriot which was a tests. Tickets for the first leg of the tour did not go on sale until two weeks prior to the first show. I bought my tickets to the Philly show 3 weeks before it happened. As Paul McGuinness has always said, he has to break the band again any time they come out with a new album and tour. The fact is, the band's management often does not know the exact demand. The band even did a short theater tour in 1984 to test the waters before they did a full tour in the Spring of 1985 in North America. Testing the waters by booking smaller venues is a common practice in the touring industry.

"They definitely didn't think that they would be able to sellout Stadiums with the prices they were charging on the European leg beforehand - that's why they played Arenas. But afterwards, well that's a completely different story."

The band had already soldout several stadiums years earlier on a less popular album and tour called POPMART. Elevation was designed as a stripped down arena tour and that is the only reason why most of the dates were in Arena's in Europe with the exception of 3. Depending on what the artist wants, they will sometimes choose to play smaller venues than what one would normally play if the only purpose was to try and meet all the demand that was out there.

The Elevation tour was supposed to only be 5 months with 80 shows in North America and Europe, with only an Arena setup. The American third leg was a late addition.

"How so? Since in North America they won't sell as many tickets this year compared to the Elevation tour. And as for Europe, it is technically because the European leg of the Elevation tour was heavily underbooked, after the fact. But if U2 had done a Stadium tour on the European leg in 2001, sales of the European leg for the Vertigo tour would absolutely be less compartively."

The speed of the sellouts in these softer North American markets plus adding additional dates in these same markets and having them sellout just as fast shows that the demand is higher. In addition, the new album is far ahead of where POP or ATYCLB were after their first 10 weeks in sales.

There is no evidence to show that less people would be interested in attending the Vertigo European tour if the band had done stadiums in Europe back in 2001. Four years pass and the biggest factor in demand for the new tour is the new album. But take for instance the Dublin shows in 2001. 160,000 tickets soldout in a combined 135 minutes. Last week, the two Dublin shows sold 160,000 tickets in less than 50 minutes and the promoter said they could have done a week of shows at Croke Park. Despite playing one of the largest venues in the country in 2001, there is more demand on this 2005 tour to see the band in Dublin despite all the stadium shows being booked in nearby countries if one believes those traveling to Dublin are a key factor.

"You're full of it. You said the Elevation tour. And you did say that European attendance would be up to 50% higher this year than compared to the Elevation tour. When in reality it's going to be double that, or even more - just like I said."

If I did say that, when and where did I say it? I have always stated that I thought that demand for the Elevation tour in North America would have translated to a 50% increase in attendance over the POPMART tour if the tour had been booked in stadiums at POPMART prices. Its possible I may have made a mistake in typing up a posts, but I think your probably getting mixed up about things. In any event, I know you'll show me where I stated this since you know I said it.

"That's totally false. U2 could not sellout 7 nights at Croke Park at the prices they're charging today - promoters are paid to create hype and demand. There is demand for a third show however."

A Promoter doesn't get paid to create hype and demand for shows that are not going to happen. Most people who wanted to see the two Dublin shows did not get tickets! A third Dublin show will sellout just as fast as the first two! The band could easily play 7 shows at Croke Park based on the level of demand that is out there given the speed of the sellouts and the massive of number of people unable to obtain tickets.

"As for the largest drawing and highest selling band in the world, Pink Floyd: the only markets in the world where U2 would be able to outdraw them today are:"

Pink Floyd is not the largest drawing band or highest selling band in the World. Pink Floyd in fact is not even a band anymore.

The only tour where Pink Floyd truely had stronger attendance levels for individual cities than U2 was their North American Division Bell tour. This was because the majority of the tickets were sold at the low ticket price of $22.50. These tickets covered the back area's of the stadium which are difficult to sale. Adjusted for inflation, these tickets were priced below the price for tickets in 1987. Adjusted for inflation today (2005), and these tickets would only cost 29 dollars. Thats right, 29 dollars. Everyone's Grandparents could sellout a stadium tour for 29 dollars in 2005.

Pink Floyd did not crush U2 back in the early 1990s or late 1980s, and would not crush anything U2 is doing today unless possibly if they announced it as their last tour.

The latest news from Billboard reports that the U2's soldout 28 date North American leg has GROSSED 47 million dollars!

In Europe, the band has sold out 19 stadium shows, for a gross of $94 million and 1.05 million tickets, so far. Thats an average GROSS of nearly 5 million per night. The average ticket price for these shows is 89 dollars, more than double Pink Floyds Division Bell prices adjusted for inflation! Despite playing stadiums in Europe, every show has completely soldout quickly. The band has already Grossed a combined 141 million dollars from just 47 soldout shows! Less than half of the dates for this tour have been put on sale and the band has already GROSSED 141 million dollars with every show soldout the day it was put on sale!

The new album has sold 8.5 million copies worldwide in only 10 weeks. There is not another band or artist that is as hot as U2 in 2005. Not even some band that has been dead since 1994.

any Pink Floyd albums or tours like the Division Bell that dont include the true genius of Floyd - Roger Waters - absolutely suck in my book. That Tour was all about Dave Gilmour and the rest of em trying to milk the Floyd name for a few bucks.

Not to fuel the fire too much here, but dude, have you SEEN Canada before? We're traveling 4 hours to Vancouver and actually making this into a vacation, because there's no way we're driving back the night of the concert and spending 8 hours in a day on the road.

There are NO other places that are closer, Calgary is probably 8 hours away, and everything else they may play would be FAR east of that (by a matter of days, not hours).

Compared to the US which has a slew of points they hit, we may see 5 concerts over the entire country, which at last glance was quite a bit larger than...well...any other country. We get shafted, but see we have fast sled dogs that can carry us great distances...saves on gas.

Poor people in the territories up north, they've got it rough...they're looking at a 12+ hour drive to the nearest, if they're lucky.

Mike

STING2 said:
No Control, You haven't answered my questions in regards to the following, so that is why I have posted it several times.

And you have? LOL

Originally posted by STING2 I take it you have not read anything I said about why most fans would not travel stay overnight in another city. If you don't understand basic economics or are unwilling to learn, then I can't help you.

I take it that you'll see what you want to see, regardless of the facts.

Originally posted by STING2 You made a clear distinction between how the first show would sell and how the second show would sell. You said the first shows would sellout quickly and then the second shows would sellout eventually.

A clear distinction? LOL

No, I said what I said. If you thought I thought that the second shows would sellout quicker than they did, then you'd be right. But I said "eventually" because I wasn't sure how fast.

Originally posted by STING2 The first leg of the Joshua Tree tour was in Arena's with the exception of the Stadium show near Detriot which was a tests. Tickets for the first leg of the tour did not go on sale until two weeks prior to the first show. I bought my tickets to the Philly show 3 weeks before it happened. As Paul McGuinness has always said, he has to break the band again any time they come out with a new album and tour. The fact is, the band's management often does not know the exact demand. The band even did a short theater tour in 1984 to test the waters before they did a full tour in the Spring of 1985 in North America. Testing the waters by booking smaller venues is a common practice in the touring industry.

That's partly true.

Originally posted by STING2 The band had already soldout several stadiums years earlier on a less popular album and tour called POPMART. Elevation was designed as a stripped down arena tour and that is the only reason why most of the dates were in Arena's in Europe with the exception of 3. Depending on what the artist wants, they will sometimes choose to play smaller venues than what one would normally play if the only purpose was to try and meet all the demand that was out there.

No, the Elevation tour was scheduled the way it was because ticket prices were around 60% higher and they figured that an x amount of people would only pay an x amount of money to see them live.

Originally posted by STING2 The speed of the sellouts in these softer North American markets plus adding additional dates in these same markets and having them sellout just as fast shows that the demand is higher. In addition, the new album is far ahead of where POP or ATYCLB were after their first 10 weeks in sales.

The second shows didn't sellout just as fast. And as I've already gone over, the way they scheduled the first leg is why there's multiple shows in markets that normally wouldn't have the demand at an average of $100 otherwise. U2 will only sell between 1.1-1.2 Million tickets in North America this year - their lowest attendancd tour on this side of the Atlantic since the The Unforgettable Fire tour.

Originally posted by STING2 There is no evidence to show that less people would be interested in attending the Vertigo European tour if the band had done stadiums in Europe back in 2001. Four years pass and the biggest factor in demand for the new tour is the new album. But take for instance the Dublin shows in 2001. 160,000 tickets soldout in a combined 135 minutes. Last week, the two Dublin shows sold 160,000 tickets in less than 50 minutes and the promoter said they could have done a week of shows at Croke Park. Despite playing one of the largest venues in the country in 2001, there is more demand on this 2005 tour to see the band in Dublin despite all the stadium shows being booked in nearby countries if one believes those traveling to Dublin are a key factor.

The evidence lies in the European leg's underbooking in 2001.

Originally posted by STING2 If I did say that, when and where did I say it? I have always stated that I thought that demand for the Elevation tour in North America would have translated to a 50% increase in attendance over the POPMART tour if the tour had been booked in stadiums at POPMART prices. Its possible I may have made a mistake in typing up a posts, but I think your probably getting mixed up about things. In any event, I know you'll show me where I stated this since you know I said it.

I know what you said and you're wrong on both accounts. But to respond to your above post, the North American legs of the PopMart sold 1.65 Million tickets. The North American legs of this tour will sell 1.1-1.2 Million tickets. If they would've scheduled the Elevation tour like you say above, then it wouldn't really have been that much higher than the PopMart tour North American attendance.

Originally posted by STING2 A Promoter doesn't get paid to create hype and demand for shows that are not going to happen.

LOL. Yes they do.

Originally posted by STING2 Most people who wanted to see the two Dublin shows did not get tickets! A third Dublin show will sellout just as fast as the first two! The band could easily play 7 shows at Croke Park based on the level of demand that is out there given the speed of the sellouts and the massive of number of people unable to obtain tickets.

Ahh, fantasy land seems like a nice place. Let us know when you return.

Originally posted by STING2 Pink Floyd is not the largest drawing band or highest selling band in the World. Pink Floyd in fact is not even a band anymore.

The only tour where Pink Floyd truely had stronger attendance levels for individual cities than U2 was their North American Division Bell tour. This was because the majority of the tickets were sold at the low ticket price of $22.50. These tickets covered the back area's of the stadium which are difficult to sale. Adjusted for inflation, these tickets were priced below the price for tickets in 1987. Adjusted for inflation today (2005), and these tickets would only cost 29 dollars. Thats right, 29 dollars. Everyone's Grandparents could sellout a stadium tour for 29 dollars in 2005.

Pink Floyd did not crush U2 back in the early 1990s or late 1980s, and would not crush anything U2 is doing today unless possibly if they announced it as their last tour.

You're delusional. Pink Floyd have higher record sales, higher concert attendances (in just about every market) - with higher average prices and higher back catalog sales than U2. And always have and always will. I've already gone over this 18 million times in explicit detail. You obviously see only what you want to see.. Oh and btw, there were many shows on the Division Bell tour that had three tier prices, not two...

Originally posted by STING2 The latest news from Billboard reports that the U2's soldout 28 date North American leg has GROSSED 47 million dollars!

In Europe, the band has sold out 19 stadium shows, for a gross of $94 million and 1.05 million tickets, so far. Thats an average GROSS of nearly 5 million per night. The average ticket price for these shows is 89 dollars, more than double Pink Floyds Division Bell prices adjusted for inflation! Despite playing stadiums in Europe, every show has completely soldout quickly. The band has already Grossed a combined 141 million dollars from just 47 soldout shows! Less than half of the dates for this tour have been put on sale and the band has already GROSSED 141 million dollars with every show soldout the day it was put on sale!

The new album has sold 8.5 million copies worldwide in only 10 weeks. There is not another band or artist that is as hot as U2 in 2005. Not even some band that has been dead since 1994.

Once again, Pink Floyd's ticket prices have increased at least 70% (slightly less elsewhere) in North America every single tour since 1977 and their attendances have never decreased (apart from Cleveland and Chicago). Virtually no one else can claim this. U2 can only claim this for 12 markets in North America and all of Europe recently. Floyd could charge 100% higher ticket prices (or more possibly) in Europe (and elsewhere) than compared to 1994, since they haven't toured in over 10 years and none of their attendances from the Division Bell tour would be affected by it, plus their growth rate since then. That 100% increase in ticket price btw would at least be $70.

Also, HTDAAB hasn't sold 8.5 Million copies to costumers. It's sold 6.5 Million copies to customers to date. Stop fudging the facts. The 8.5 Million is to retailers...

Last edited:
Desert Dog said:
any Pink Floyd albums or tours like the Division Bell that dont include the true genius of Floyd - Roger Waters - absolutely suck in my book. That Tour was all about Dave Gilmour and the rest of em trying to milk the Floyd name for a few bucks.

If that was true, then why haven't Floyd toured in ten years? They damn well know that they could easily gross $300 Million+ every year on the road (depending on how many shows they do)!

You need to get a clue.

Album sales:

Pink Floyd - 200 Million (22 releases)
U2 - 135 Million (17 releases)

Concert Attendance:

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour '87-'88-'89...5.5 Million tickets sold (4.7 Million minus return)
Average price: $21.68 worldwide & $20.00 in North America

U2 - Joshua Tree & Lovetown tours '87 & '89...3.5 Million tickets sold (3 Million minus return)
Average price: $17.30 (slightly more in '89 due to inflation)

Pink Floyd - Division Bell tour '94...5.4 Million tickets sold (only performed on two continents)
Average price: $34.50 & at least the same on the European leg

U2 - ZOO TV tour '92-'93...5.4 Million tickets sold (4.5 Million minus the return)
Average price: $30.00 & $28.25 in North America

Back Catalog Sales (annually):

Pink Floyd - 4 Million (2 Million in the US)
U2 - 1-1.5 Million (750,000-1 Million in the US)

Every time Pink Floyd have toured since 1977, their ticket prices have increased at least 70% in the US (and a bit less elsewhere), while their attendances continue to increase in just about every market. Every time U2 & The Stones have toured since 1989 (The Stones) & 1992 (U2), their attendances have decreased with each ticket price increase in the vast majority of markets worldwide.

For the majority of tickets sold for the majority of Floyd's shows in '94, their ticket prices weren't $22.50. There were three tier prices for many shows, including...BC Place Stadium (2 shows...$75/37.50/25) in Vancouver and Giants Stadium (2 shows...$75/35/25) in NJ, to name a few.

A new Pink Floyd tour would break every record imaginable (apart from Springsteen's Giants Stadium record of 10 shows a few years ago).

Get A Clue...

Last edited:
Believe what you will. I dont really care. I am just a purist when it comes to Floyd.

Back
Top Bottom