Why so much Boston availability? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Why so much Boston availability?

While alot of people are looking for GAs which are always in top demand, anyone have a thought as to why there is so much availability of tickets for the Boston shows?

There are over 100 ticket listings on ebay with some tix selling for $25??!! Craigslist is swampped too. (I know b/c I am trying to sell 2 tix)

I'm amazed... the week before last weeks final NY shows you could't find a decent ticket (fortunately I had mine)

any thoughts?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Refugee

What you speak of really affected the October Boston shows, the May and September Chicago shows, and the November LA shows. (I have limited the list to major markets, but we all know that Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, Detroit, and even Philly had a substantial number of tickets available for less than face value.) It also happened, to a certain extent, to the October MSG shows (but I think that was primarily because of the rain that U2 brought South with them ).

The answer to the question "why?" is simple: Each of these major markets was overplayed, but thanks to scalpers (mostly amateur scalpers), each show was sold out. Now the amateur scalpers are trying to dump, but the market is glutted with tickets and is bearing about face value for most tickets.

Just my two cents... I have to get back to Queen Bee so I can't provide more detail to this post.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Yep some tickets are going for less than face value. I’d love to be able to see U2 Friday and Saturday then drive down to New York and see the Cowboys play the Giants. That would be one sweet weekend.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:14 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:41 AM
I started my $95 ticket at $30 on eBay, and hope I get something for it.

Maybe some of these sellers are in my (sinking) boat...we wanted to go, but just don't have the money to make it up to Boston.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, there was a ticket drop for the September Chicago shows and tickets were available on ticketmaster for over a month. It just shows they've satisfied the demand in some of these markets.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:14 AM   #6
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Wow

Getting tix to either Montreal shows was nearly impossible...............

Goes to show you Canada should get more shows!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Gen. Chat
I’d love to be able to see U2 Friday and Saturday then drive down to New York and see the Cowboys play the Giants. That would be one sweet weekend.
But it would be very tough to do seeing as the U2 shows are Sunday and Monday.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
War Child

Well that what you get when you plan your fantasy trip in December using the November calendar. I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it that much anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
War Child

You guys are killing me. I wish my schedule was more flexible!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 06:41 AM
As was said above, the Montreal & Toronto market was quite the opposite. While you could score a Toronto ticket for $250 or so, tickets for Montreal were brutal to come by. Scalpers were asking $400 a ticket.

The assessment above about the 'amateur' scalpers is also very true.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

There was a drop for the Boston shows a while back for very good club seats, so that probably hurt the scalpers.

But a glance on eBay shows that most of these tickets are selling well, especially ones in pairs that are decent seats. And most of them, if not all, are going easily for face value.

Seems like the singles are the ones not doing as well, but most of them are in the balcony.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
Refugee

edited: nevermind, I read the auction wrong
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I think the seller screwed up that listing.

There are two different boxes there, one with 4 tickets, one with 2 tickets, yet his description says it's for 4 tickets in Loge 22.

I think it's $50 a ticket for buy it now, which is obviously a steal if correct.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
Refugee

If you look at the sub heading, it says $750, and its also lists a best offer feature. So I'm guessing thats what hes looking for.. I was tempted to go for the $50 buy it now and see what happens.. but I'll pass, anyone else want to? http://cgi.ebay.com/U2-Vertigo-Tour-...QQcmdZViewItem

oops, too late. Congrats if it was someone here. Care to share a ticket with moi?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

That didn't take too long, did it?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
Refugee

i'll be kicking myself this weekend for not jumping on it when I find myself not at either shows.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MTEdge
What you speak of really affected the October Boston shows, the May and September Chicago shows, and the November LA shows. (I have limited the list to major markets, but we all know that Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, Detroit, and even Philly had a substantial number of tickets available for less than face value.) It also happened, to a certain extent, to the October MSG shows (but I think that was primarily because of the rain that U2 brought South with them ).

The answer to the question "why?" is simple: Each of these major markets was overplayed, but thanks to scalpers (mostly amateur scalpers), each show was sold out. Now the amateur scalpers are trying to dump, but the market is glutted with tickets and is bearing about face value for most tickets.

Just my two cents... I have to get back to Queen Bee so I can't provide more detail to this post.
Actually, most people especially those of U2's audiance average age, are probably unlikely to buy tickets over the internet from a scalper. All of these shows initially soldout in hours and the number of people scalping tickets simply prevented regular buyers from getting tickets on the day of sale.

Most people attempting to buy tickets the normal way are not going to go to a scalper to get into the show. Most simply move on once they know ticketmaster has soldout and don't even bother going early to the show to see if they can get in or try to find tickets another way.

Also there were many people in Philly and other shows on the last tour who bought tickets from scalpers only to discover at the show that the tickets they bought were fakes. I'm sure there is some of that out there as well on this tour so naturally that adds to the ticket situation with brokers and scalpers, plus, you have a large number of people, most people in fact, who are not going to buy tickets from brokers and scalpers either because they don't know about them or don't trust them.

Typically, only hardcore fans are going to spend more than face value to buy tickets at these prices. Given that only a fraction of most fans would go to Ebay and other places attempting to buy scalped tickets, plus that only a fraction of those fans are hardcore fans will to pay above face value, then its easy to see why several of tickets on some websites are being sold at below face value.

I actually think most of the markets were "UNDERPLAYED" with the exception of maybe Chicago. But the band simply does not have more time to devote to touring America which is why choosing to play Arena's instead of Stadiums in America turned out to be a mistake.

Its amazing how many people I come across who wanted to see this tour but were unable to because shows soldout to fast and they either did not know about or did not want to deal with scalpers.

Just to note, all the tickets at www.ticketsnow.com for the remaining Boston shows are being sold at above face value and I have found that to be the case for most shows.

Ticketsnow.com has also stated that U2 Vertigo tour is their top selling ticket.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

My single ticket, which I started at $30, just went for $78 on eBay. It's a rear stage seat too. The guy who won the auction sounds really great and paid immediately, so I'm pleased about that.

I still wish I could have gone, though...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I looked at a GA auction for 2 tickets at $50 and they were ticketfast. That scared me into buying from ETS.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:41 PM
I just scored BAW a GA ticket for Monday night..she and Mrs. Edge can tag team...now I've got an empty Loge seat next to me....

any takers?????