Why did U2 place it 'safe' for 5 nights??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Why did U2 place it 'safe' for 5 nights???

You would think that U2 would have played something out of the ordinary in NYC. Ok.....Fast Cars, Crumbs, First Time & Stuck were played...but for the most part that is part of their 'standard' setlist this leg of the tour.
But 5 nights at MSG and really no shakeup....supposedy Daddys Gonna Pay was being rehearsed. Also, they didnt play NEW YORK..neither one of those songs are really my favorite but fact of the matter is....No Discotheque, no Mofo, nada. Im not saying that this is a disappointment, but you would expect NYC to get a REAL treat, ya know what I mean ?

Old 10-15-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
i can see this thread turning ugly, so how about this time instead of people replying with smartass answers and insults, i challenge you to come up with a well thought out reply to suport your argument, and maybe there could actually be a decent and civilized discussion.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 AM
All tickets on this tour sold out too early
Old 10-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 05:16 AM
hey all...i went to 4 of the 5 MSG shows this past week, and have seen them 9 times so far this year...thats just a preface for my thoughts so you know that i'm sufficiently die hard...that said, i understand why they have to play certain of the same songs every single night..from the logistics of their stage/lights set up, to the fact you have many a first time u2 concert goer in the crowd every night of this tour, its a given, they have to play One, Pride, Sunday, Streets, Beautiful Day....you get the idea...and even that opener of City of Blinding Lights is special enough to be there every night along with another set-piece Bono drumming away on Love and Peace or else....but I think where they are dropping the ball is that when they are in a city 5 nights, or even 3 for that matter, there is no reason Miracle Drug has to be played every night, Bono's speech before it is lovely, but i mean, once or twice a city is fine and the same goes for a few other Dismantle tunes that are wonderful and truly should be played at least once in a city...but i mean they didnt have to play Sometimes you cant Make it on your own all 5 nights...Bono surely could have dedicated another song to his father one of those 5 nights. Or even "All Because of You"..if it was missing one night from the final encore but replaced with some other magical U2 song, I dont think newbies would have been cursing the day they didnt get to see it live...Its here and there where a little judicious substition could have really mixed things up and thrilled the newbies and diehards alike. What do you think? All in all i have to say i've had an amazing time at every U2 show i've been to this year and i look forward to seeing them in Vegas and again in New York in November, but I can admit to being a bit disappointed that the U2 New York shows were just so similar...i know I'm not alone in that feeling. Yes it was a thrill to see/hear Gloria last night, and i'm thinking U2 could have created a few more of those thrilling moments without sacrificing the core/heart of their show and while still featuring plenty of Dismantle. Thats just my $.02.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

arent there 2 more shows to be played at MSG next month? could they be the shows where we see the shake up?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jonathan26
Thats just my $.02.
God that phrase bores me
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2
arent there 2 more shows to be played at MSG next month? could they be the shows where we see the shake up?

I admire your optimism, KUEF.

(this was not a mocking comment).
Old 10-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

God that phrase bores me
way to add to the discussion
Old 10-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 01:16 AM
U2 "played it safe" because probably 80 to 90 percent of the people at a given concert are seeing U2 one time and one time only this year.
They are not going to cater to the fans who see them 20 times per tour, nor should they.
I saw them twice this year, they played nearly identical setlists, and I loved all four hours of it.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ifeelnumb84
U2 "played it safe" because probably 80 to 90 percent of the people at a given concert are seeing U2 one time and one time only this year.
They are not going to cater to the fans who see them 20 times per tour, nor should they.
I saw them twice this year, they played nearly identical setlists, and I loved all four hours of it.
Agreed!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
War Child

Just one point about what makes a gig - the set-list alone does NOT make a great show. Sure, it helps but what makes a great gig is that the band play well and then the connection between audience and band goes off. They could reel out 20 unplayed rare songs which would have most people on this board wetting themselves (including me) but 90% of the 20,000 in attendance would be bored and sap the energy from the show.

Re MSG, the first 3 nights featured 5 changes each night - expecting any more is pretty optimistic - U2 have never done that (even Lovetown was largely blocks of the same songs moved around). If these changes weren't "surprises" then can I suggest you shouldn't have looked at all the set-lists leading up to the show? It's not that difficult really, I managed because I wanted anything new to surprise me (I couldn't believe it when they started up The First Time). Over the 5 nights they've played 33 (I think) different songs in their entirety, which isn't far short of the entire Elevation tour (sure someone can correct me on that) so that isn't really a lack of variety is it.

As for playing the Atomic Bomb songs like MD, ABOY, SYCMIYO, well they are promoting that album so of course they will be played every night. Yes, there are plenty of other songs they can play but does anyone really want to hear Walk On, Please, Staring at the Sun etc butchered because they haven't been rehearsed properly?
2005 - Brussels 10/6, Manchester 15/6, London 18/6, 19/6, Glasgow 21/6, Dublin 24/6, 25/6, Cardiff 29/6, Boston 3/10, 4/10, New York 7/10, 8/10, 10/10, 11/10
2009 - Barcelona 30/6, Dublin 24/7, 25/7, 27/7, London 14/8, 15/8, Sheffield 20/8, Cardiff 22/8
2010 - Paris, Brussels x2, Rome
2015 - Amsterdam 3 & 4, Stockholm 1 & 2, Barcelona 1, 2 & 4, London 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6, Paris 3, Dublin 3 & 4
Old 10-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

i went to friday, saturday, monday and tuesday... i was not in the least bit disapointed.

was a little "u2-ed out" by the end of the weekend... but i had a great time at all 4 shows.

baisicly, we're kidding ourselfs if we think they're gonna come out and do some vast setlist change this far into the tour... like all of a sudden they're gonna resurect johnny cash from the dead, plop him on stage and do the wanderer or something... it's just not gonna happen. if you keep hoping for it to happen, you're gonna continue to be disapointed.

the only thing that wasn't there that i would have liked to see was until the end of the world... didn't get it, but, eh whatever... didn't think i'd get to see wild horses, and bringing back zoo station and the fly was very nice...

they are what they are, and no matter how much we may want them to start having springsteen/pearl jam-esque setlist changes, it's simply just not gonna happen.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cdparky
Just one point about what makes a gig - the set-list alone does NOT make a great show. Sure, it helps but what makes a great gig is that the band play well and then the connection between audience and band goes off. They could reel out 20 unplayed rare songs which would have most people on this board wetting themselves (including me) but 90% of the 20,000 in attendance would be bored and sap the energy from the show.
Well said. From the sounds of some reviews, some people weren't too keen on this last show. But it, of course, varies from person to person. Before I saw my first show in TO, I thought I'd get bored with the regulars like ISHFWILF, One and Pride...but I went out of my mind when I heard them. It was amazing to see all those people in the arena clapping and singing, becoming one with the band. I could do that night after night and I wouldn't get tired of it. You people who had the opportunity to go to all five shows are so lucky.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

night 5 was good show, but the encore was bad.
I would so much have preferred zoo station/they fly, etc.

I wasn't looking for crumbs, uteotw, and certainly not dirty day or please and mofo.

I've seen vertigo x2 live now....not the greatest way to cap off a week at msg.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

mofo hasn't been played yet, i doubt it was even really "soundchecked"

daddys gonna pay, i doubt that was soundchecked either. bono snippeted it so i guess that means that they are going to play it.

just because they are in new york doesnt mean they are going to play new york... will they play miami in miami?

did they mix up the setlists a lot for THIS stint? no, not really. but they still played bad, crumbs, fast cars, gloria, zoo station, the fly, stuck in a moment, the first time, wild horses and vertigo x2. all i want is you came out of the blue, i will follow came back.

u2 have NEVER messed with the main setlist in any tour. this is the MOST varied tour in terms of songs played, setlists etc... sure, i'd have liked to see discotheque again, but hey at least i saw it in toronto with the popmuzik intro and all.

the only thing id change would be the first time opening up the encore, put fast cars there or something more upbeat, but hearing the first time is pretty cool. i was at 4/5 of these shows, and they were all great shows.

i really dont understand (not accusing anybody in this thread here of doing it... yet.) complaining about a show you didn't even attend.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #16
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
i really dont understand (not accusing anybody in this thread here of doing it... yet.) complaining about a show you didn't even attend.
Well said!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

I admire your optimism, KUEF.

(this was not a mocking comment).
wouldnt call it optimisim, its fact that the still have 2 more shows in MSG, now i dont know if they will mix it up or not, but surley if they were planning on mixing it up they would save it till the actual LAST shows in that city
Old 10-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kassandra

Agreed!
I second that. I wonder if anyone who wishes they would "shake up" the setlist will stop buying their albums and seeing their concerts because they don't play half the songs off Pop? Since I've liked every single setlist this tour, does that make me a casual U2 fan?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #19
The Fly

I got my best U2 concert experience in a lifetime watching Boston I & II and NY 1 & II this 3rd leg. I'm not talking about watching setlists on a computerscreen, but watching the gigs in real life. I wonder how many of the complainers have actually seen Fast Cars or Crumbs at a U2 gig...

Bottom line: It's about the whole gig, not about certain individual songs. I enjoyed the standard songs just as much as I enjoyed the 'rarities'. It's like cdparky wrote: If there's a certain connection with the crowd (i.e. the magic in the air, the band going off), the setlist doesn't matter at all. Boston 3rd October is the best example.

Have fun with the setlist debate while I'm still on cloud 9.

Cheers,
Soulrock
Old 10-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I admire the original poster's honest question and agree with those who have said that U2 will probably stick with a more predictable setlist.

Although we all love U2 and will go to as many concerts as we can afford to go to, the simple (yet painful) truth is that U2 has gotten stuck in their own moment of repetitious concerts - all the way down to the well-rehearsed ad libs and the quickly becoming nauseous "Bono pulls girl up on stage" routine.

As someone who has dearly loved and followed this group for 25 years, I am very concerned.

U2 is trying to please way too many people - from those of us at their beginning to people who are old enough to be their children.

It's very difficult to please everyone and in trying to do that U2 can easily end up pleasing no one.

All I wish is that U2 would take some chances again - with their setlists, with their ad libs and definitely with the people they pull up on stage.

By trying to play it safe and trying to bring as many people to their concerts as possible ($), U2 is at risk of losing the one thing that got them to the top - their SPARK.

My thoughts. My opinions. From someone who has followed U2 from the beginning.

I wish U2 would just please themselves more onstage and think less of how people will perceive them.

THEIR TRUE FANS WILL ACCEPT U2 NO MATTER WHAT THEY CHOOSE TO PLAY ONSTAGE.