Why did U2 place it 'safe' for 5 nights???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

I just heard from someone who saw him after the show. They said he looked pissed, and that when he was in the car leaving the show he didn't wave to any of the fans and just looked straight forward. Usually he waves to the fans as he goes by I guess, I don't know, this person could be reading it wrong, they just said he looked pretty mad.

I am wondering about this.

I know the end of the show did not go off as planned, but the band actually looked very happy leaving the stage.

I have a feeling something might have happened backstage as the band got off at 11:50 and I am sure they had a 'runner' to Philadelphia.

If that was the case, the band would not have had the time to get to the airport, and would be taxed for another day in NYC. I am sure someone in management gave them shit for staying on so long.

That - or they were actually embarrassed that none of them (except the Edge of course) knew Party Girl.

Apparently though they didn't make soundcheck days later in Philly. It looks like they might have been in NYC thru the weekend as Bono was spotted in Central Park on the 15th.

the right answer is that if they are going to mix in lesser played songs, they need to be fast songs...

the reaction The Electric Co has gotten is a good example. In minneapolis, when the song started, people weren't enthused right away, but as the song progressed to Edge's awesome solo, the crowd turned around and it got the best reaction of any song that night.

because it rocks.

other songs that they could mix in that I don't think would bore the audience:

Electrical Storm
Last Night On Earth
Discotheque
Ultravoilet
Mofo
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Dirty Day

If they were going to add slower tunes, they would have to be kind of well known. stuff from their greatest hits maybe, like:

Sweetest Thing
Staring At The Sun
The Unforgettable Fire
October

I dunno. there is no way to tell. Like many have said, Fast Cars and The Ocean don't really meet the requirements of a crowd that is there for one concert only.

zoopop said:
"they set up their shows for the person who's going to see them only once... not for the wacko's like us who will be at many many shows."

That comment is true, but what they were doing during the 1st leg was perfect. They mixed up the setlist to satisfy the U2 freaks and the general audience (1st timers). Even though they mixed up a total of 3-5 songs it was pretty cool. Sitting at the Chicago I (May) show I sat at the edge (stood) of my sit wondering if they would open w/ COBL or LOPE and then they went into Bad. It felt special being at that show. U2 has been really lazy lately. Playing 5 shows in New York and just changing a few songs in encore is pretty weak. U2 is more than capable mixing it up. Its getting to point that if I meet a U2 member, instead of asking for an autograph, I'll ask "Why don't you mix up the setlist more, your the biggest band in the world."

For the majority of the people at MSG the shows were far from weak. Changing set-lists does not make a great show, how they play it & how the crowd respond is what makes it special. And being at the MSG shows DID feel special when they played Bad, or I Will Follow, or The Electric Co, or All I Want is You and pretty much every other song. Though I guess you don't get that atmosphere looking at a blue screen for the set-list.

. Im not saying that this is a disappointment, but you would expect NYC to get a REAL treat, ya know what I mean ? [/B][/QUOTE]
O.K. first dont want to start an argument here but why would you expect NYC to get a real treat?each gig should be and in my opinion is a real treat!
i went to croke park Dublin (saturday25th june) and yes there was songs i would have loved to have heard -kite,walk on,an cat dubh,and many more but that didnt stop me from having the best day ever.
I know of lots of people who couldnt get tickets for any of the 3 irish gigs and they would have loved to have been there so maybe you should just be happy that you were able to get to see them in the first place.
I am glad that U2 did not treat New York any different than any other gig they played.
If you want to start about preferential treatment surely it should start where they did DUBLIN,but i am glad to say U2 treat all fans the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom