Tour Date Discussion Part III - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 06:50 AM
Tour Date Discussion Part III

Continued from last thread.
__________________

phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 11:50 AM
Axver: re - Japan

Was the 4 Mexico 1992(last ZOO 3rd legs shows) in an Arena with a stadium set-up?

Anyone have a photo of that set-up or the Perth 98 gig?

u2fp
__________________

U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 11:50 AM
I'm not Axver, but I can answer the question above. For the 4 arena shows U2 did in Mexico at the end of the 1992 tour, they used the arena stage, which hadn't been used since June in England. Apparently plans to play 2 shows at a stadium in Mexico City fell through, so instead they played 4 arena shows there. So yes, they did dig the arena stage out for 4 more shows. Maybe they'll do that for Tokyo? I don't know.
The_acrobat is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 06:50 AM
I'm not sure I understand the whole arena vs. stadium thing. This Japan show will be in an arena if I understand correctly. So, naturally, you would use the arena stage, correct? The stadium stage would be too big, right?
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I'm not sure I understand the whole arena vs. stadium thing. This Japan show will be in an arena if I understand correctly. So, naturally, you would use the arena stage, correct? The stadium stage would be too big, right?
I don't think many people know for sure. Probably we'll have to wait until the tickets go on sale to get a confirmable answer.
The_acrobat is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,903
Local Time: 07:50 AM
If they do 3 shows in the stadium configuration, they would be adding 20,000+ tickets to Japan compared to the original stadium. That seems like a lot (since someone mentioned U2 is not as big in Japan relatively speaking), and why I think it'll be the arena setup.
ntalwar is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I'm not sure I understand the whole arena vs. stadium thing. This Japan show will be in an arena if I understand correctly. So, naturally, you would use the arena stage, correct? The stadium stage would be too big, right?
This venue has an arena setup and a stadium setup. I mean, it is designed to host soccer games! So I think Vertigo's stadium stage could fit in there.

As far as Popmart Perth photos go, this is all I found: http://www.u2photos.com/images/98feb17.html

It doesn't really give you an appreciation of how it fit in the venue, but just compare those photos above to the size of the Burswood Dome in these pictures: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=24

I think they could fit in the stadium stage to the Saitama Arena if they wished.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


This venue has an arena setup and a stadium setup. I mean, it is designed to host soccer games! So I think Vertigo's stadium stage could fit in there.

As far as Popmart Perth photos go, this is all I found: http://www.u2photos.com/images/98feb17.html

It doesn't really give you an appreciation of how it fit in the venue, but just compare those photos above to the size of the Burswood Dome in these pictures: http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=24

I think they could fit in the stadium stage to the Saitama Arena if they wished.
Saitama is a very new building, so they would have built ti to accomadate "standard" height stadium concert set-ups.

I'm still wondering if they can hold the "Stadium" set-up in a halfbowl arrangement.

Another oddity is the rumours about a stage arriving in japan in late september. Why would it sit idle for 2 months?

u2fp
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
I'm still wondering if they can hold the "Stadium" set-up in a halfbowl arrangement.
What would the point of that be? 16,000 x3 isn't enough to cater for the Yokohama crowd; the 22,000 setup isn't feasible due to the screen.

Quote:
Another oddity is the rumours about a stage arriving in japan in late september. Why would it sit idle for 2 months?
That is the only reason I have not discarded arena speculation as baseless, as that could be the arena stage showing up. But didn't it come from the same source that placed Tokyo on 14 and 15 December?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,903
Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


What would the point of that be? 16,000 x3 isn't enough to cater for the Yokohama crowd; the 22,000 setup isn't feasible due to the screen.
Again that assumes the LED curtain is not used.
2 Tokyo Dome shows would be a lot more practical than 3 Super Arena shows (over 6 days). Both would hold roughly the same number of people (assuming a stadium config.), yet the Tokyo Dome was not chosen for some reason.

Baseball season there is in spring I believe - so that was probably not an issue. Someone else mentioned acoustics, but they played there for Popmart (and MSG had pretty crappy acoustics too when I saw them there).

ETA - the Stones were scheduled to play Tokyo Dome in March.
ntalwar is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar


Again that assumes the LED curtain is not used.
My reply was to the stadium setup, which has the big screen and thus necessitates the 16,000 configuration if the smaller form of the venue is used. What I was saying is that if they do use the stadium setup, they'll have to use the 30,000 seat configuration in order to cater for the Yokohama crowd, as the 16,000 one is not sufficient.

Quote:
2 Tokyo Dome shows would be a lot more practical than 3 Super Arena shows (over 6 days). Both would hold roughly the same number of people (assuming a stadium config.), yet the Tokyo Dome was not chosen for some reason.
I believe they can't have GA at the Tokyo Dome. Maybe they can at Saitama? Also, there was that mention on U2log about how the promoter wanted to do premium seating at the Tokyo Dome; maybe using the Saitama Arena somehow got around that disagreement?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,591
Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


My reply was to the stadium setup, which has the big screen and thus necessitates the 16,000 configuration if the smaller form of the venue is used. What I was saying is that if they do use the stadium setup, they'll have to use the 30,000 seat configuration in order to cater for the Yokohama crowd, as the 16,000 one is not sufficient.



I believe they can't have GA at the Tokyo Dome. Maybe they can at Saitama? Also, there was that mention on U2log about how the promoter wanted to do premium seating at the Tokyo Dome; maybe using the Saitama Arena somehow got around that disagreement?
Why can't there be a 25,000 Stadium set-up done for 3 nights? If the demand is there.

I also think the Japan shows may have been the reason for the various delays in announcing the rescheduled shows.

u2fp
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #13
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter


Why can't there be a 25,000 Stadium set-up done for 3 nights? If the demand is there.
Well, they don't have a 25,000 seater configuration ... I suppose that would just be the 30,000 seater config with 5,000 seats unsold/sealed off?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,006
Local Time: 11:50 AM
Was Yokohama close to being sold out? Maybe they were 20,000 or more short of being sold out, in which case they feel 3 nights in a 16,000 seat venue takes care of all the demand. Remember that in 1998, the second planned Tokyo show never happened due to lack of interest. I went to the Osaka show in 1998, showing up without a ticket and they were easy to find there below face value. For whatever reason, while U2 is popular in Japan, they seem to be a little less popular than in other parts of the world.
Halup is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,903
Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Halup
Was Yokohama close to being sold out? Maybe they were 20,000 or more short of being sold out, in which case they feel 3 nights in a 16,000 seat venue takes care of all the demand.
That's good info to know. I was not aware that there were so many unsold seats - I guess the languauge barrier has something to do with it. I think a lot of people assume every U2 show will sell out everywhere. And I was thinking the same thing - that they will play 3 smaller shows.
__________________

ntalwar is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×