The Yankees and MSG nights 1 and 2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
fyi, if the Yankees do not get home field advantage for the playoffs, their playoff games will be held on 10/7 and 10/8 at Yankee Stadium (yes, I know that's in the Bronx). The same goes for the following weekend if they make the Championship series.

Not sure what that typically means as far as hotels are concerned, but if you don't have a room by now, you'd better think about getting one soon!!!

Regardless, the city should be a little more electric than usual if the Yanks are winning the division series!

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
won't make a huge difference... afterall, the majority of yankee fans going to the game would, ironicly enough, be from the new york area and not staying at hotels.

true, but there is a huge upstate fanbase who will make the weekend trip down there. you'd be surprised.

I was lucky and found a room for both nights for $360 for the weekend. Most other hotels were getting that PER night.

ramblin rose said:
11 days. It can't come fast enough.

you said it. just got tickets for night 1 in addition to night 2.

I'm hoping that the MSG gigs live up to the hype.

I checked all over the web and even priceline and the best I could get was $200 per night. Quite happy with that based on the other options that were available. Maybe this will mean that some more tickets will start hitting the streets as the Yankee fans have to let go of their U2 tickets.

u2gator

u2wedge said:

I hope so too. I went to the May show and even though it was a great show the 3 Boston shows blew MSG out of the water.

I really think U2 will want to make these NY shows special.

u2wedge said:

Hey.. no pun intended when I said 'the hype'...

zonelistener said:
Two events really would not make a dent in the NY Hotel market. We are talking about one of the biggest cities in the world.

You may be right, but I've never had as hard a time booking a hotel in NYC as I did for that weekend. And I guess I should have qualified my remarks by saying affordable rooms...

Sure, it'll be easy to find a $450 room that weekend... rack rate sucks.

Last edited:
I have yet to have a straight on view. I'll have one for the 2nd night in Vegas and I'm looking forward to it.

At least the Yankees are winning tonight. Too bad the Boston game was postponed.

Don't worry. The Red Sox are going to win the division, so there won't be any conflict.

zonelistener said:
Two events really would not make a dent in the NY Hotel market. We are talking about one of the biggest cities in the world.

exactly...

trust me... there are events as big as a u2 concert and/or yankee playoff game going on in new york city every single day.

there are still plenty of decent hotels available for that weekend... holiday inn, comfort inn type places... for between 150 and 300 bucks, which in reality is pretty much on par for a new york hotel on a holiday weekend.

if it wasn't columbus day weekend, you'd probably see prices about 50 bucks cheeper than what they are...

trust me... the holiday weekend has a much greater effect on the pricing and availability than u2 and/or the yankees.

if people are really worried about being able to afford a hotel in new york, i would suggest either hosteling it... which can be hit or miss as far as quality goes... or get a hotel outside of the city. the new york metro area has one of the best mass transit systems in the world, and there are trains heading out to long island, southern connecticut and new jersey at all hours of the night.

not the same as staying dead smack in the middle of manhattan, but if the cost is really an issue, a hotel in, say, nassau county, long island, + train ticket cost and/or potential cab fare from the train station to the hotel would be less expensive than a hotel room smack in the heart of manhattan.

example... let's say you got a room in hicksville, long island... about a half hour ride on the LIRR from Penn Station... probably cost you around 90 bucks for the room, $13 bucks for a round trip train ticket, and maybe $5 bucks for a taxi too and from the hicksville train station to, let's say, the econo lodge. that's $113 bucks for the night. add in taxes on the hotel room and it'll probably pump it up to approx. $135 bucks.

in comparison, the howard johnson on 34th street... within sight of madison square garden... is going for $183 bucks per night. with tax, that'll pump it up to approx. $210 bucks.

so the question is is the convenience of not having to get on a train for half an hour... not being confused as to what time the train is comming, etc. etc.... being able to simply walk across the street after the show (as opposed to walking down the stairs... penn station is right below madison square garden) worth $75 dollars?

if i was from out of town? i'd probably spring for the extra $75 bucks and stay right in midtown. :shrug: but if you're really tight as far as costs go, looking at hotels on long island, connecticut, jersey or one of hte airports might be a more affordable option.

Last edited:
Suitcase hit it right on. Manhattan is never cheap, and its Columbus Day weekend. Fall in NY is huge for tourists. Im luckily staying with a friend.

and Im praying for a Saturday afternoon Yankee playoff game (which would make the GA line choice a nightmare for me, thank God for a lottery...whoa, did I say that??). Of course Im just praying for any Yankee playoff game at this point...

fyi, if the Yankees do not get home field advantage for the playoffs, their playoff games will be held on 10/7 and 10/8 at Yankee Stadium

This assumes they will make the playoffs

just talked to my "guy who knows a guy" about getting a hotel room for the night of october 7th...

if this guy comes through, golden... if not, i'm hopping the train back home to long island and getting back on it the next day to come back in.

ideal situation would be if this guy comes through with a free/cheep room... which he's always told me he could but i've never called him on it until now... i come into manhattan friday afternoon with just clothes and a change of clothes for the next day... check in to the hotel.. booze it up... go to the show... go out after... booze some more... stumble back to the hotel room at 4 in the morning... check out around noon, chill, hit up some parties on the 8th, booze, hit the show, go out and booze some more, stumble down to penn station around 4 in the morning and hop on the 45 minute train back home.

twould be a nice two days :up:

Back
Top Bottom