Staples Center: "No cameras of any kind permitted for this show (U2)"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quasi1970

The Fly
Can anybody tell me exactly what this means?

I just went on to the Staples Center website and clicked on the U2 show info. This is what it said:

"Guests with General Admission ("Floor GA") tickets will be directed to enter the building south of the Figueroa Street entrance, near Figueroa Street and 12th Street. Line-ups may begin no earlier than 9:00 AM on the day of the concert. Once entering the facility, all guests in your party must remain in line together. Entrance into the U2 Ellipse is determined at random by a tour ticket scanning system . Please note that NO CAMERAS of any kind are permitted in STAPLES Center for this show. STAPLES Center security and event policies do apply. For a complete list of our building event policies, please click here."

What's Staples problem? In April, they made me check my digital camera in. Now, again?

To me, "any kind" means no digital, no disposable...any kind...

Last edited:
quasi1970 said:
In April, they made me check my digital camera in. Now, again?

Did you go to the LA1 show in April? I had GA for the 2nd LA show at Staples and cameras were allowed in. I hope that's the case this time around!

95% of all cell phones are also cameras, and the cell phone plays an important role for the band during the introduction of the song 'One.'

'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.' Bring your point-and-shoot digital camera and you will be fine. I was, in Boston. If they challenge you on cameras, then challenge them on cell phones. That'll get 'em to zip it.

Chris in NH

What happened in Dallas for what it's worth

Here is what happened at Dallas Saturday night:

Signs at every entrance stating no cameras allowed at this event. Security guard walking the GA line hours before the show telling us that even if we are lucky enough to sneak in our cameras, if security sees us taking pictures, our cameras will become the property of U2. States we won't be allowed to use our cell phones to take pictures either.
Still have camera on final GA lineup but line buddies report security guard told them absolutely no cameras will be allowed in. Didn't want to risk losing my place in line when I get up to the metal detectors so I run it back to my car.

Get up to door-same security guard now says disposables would be ok but that he just found that out. Get inside-get scanned vertigo and are on the front rail! Guy next to me pulls out his digcam. Asked him how he got it through metal detectors: just put it in the bucket. Asked security guard in front of the stage and he's like cameras are so low on his priority list, he's not going to spend any time on them.

Obviously I can't do any complaining as I was front row at a concert by the world's greatest band of all time. However, I'd be lying if there hadn't been at least a couple moments of "If only I had my camera!"

If you're really worried, buy a disposable or one of those cheap 35 MM and create those kodak moments!

NHChris said:
95% of all cell phones are also cameras, and the cell phone plays an important role for the band during the introduction of the song 'One.'

'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.' Bring your point-and-shoot digital camera and you will be fine. I was, in Boston. If they challenge you on cameras, then challenge them on cell phones. That'll get 'em to zip it.

Chris in NH

Spooter!
What a made up fact that is! How did you come to think 95% of cell phones are cameras too!

Make no effort to hide your camera; we were there last night along with 10 thousand other cameras...some people had their cameras hanging from their neck, in their hands, bags,.,,,its all right...if you try to HIDE, maybe you'd get a reaction...hell, there are cameras on the rail in front of Bono all night...LA's a breeze.

Digital cameras allowed at Staples

Okay, I went to the show last night and brought my digital point and shoot. Worse case scenario, they make me check it in like in April.

Well, they allowed them! They told one lady that she couldn't bring her detachable lens digital lens in, but my canon point and shoot was allowed no problem.

So, there you go. I guess the lesson is to never believe what the ticket stub says or the what the website says.

Great show BTW. My buddy and I met Dallas roaming the GA floor before and we shook hands and he gave me a Bono pick and my buddy an Edge pick. Thanks Dallas!

Also, Salma Hayek was dancing in front of me on the GA floor by the soundboard and I had no idea who it was until later. She kept bumping into me and her hair would toss into my face once in awhile and I was thinking, "Hey, you're invading my space! I'm trying to watch U2 and was frankly kind of annoyed!". Finally, after bumping into me 3 or so times, I held out my hands and when she backed into them again, I gave her a friendly little nudge back and she spun around and did a little "Sorry!" and moved to the side. My buddy then pointed out that I just "shoved" Salma Hayek. Since it was so dark, I didn't really get a look at her face but it was definitely her. Bono even thanked her during "One" for her work with the campaign. Oops. My buddy swore he saw Jennifer Aniston come up to her and give her a hug, but I didn't get a good look.

When picking up my will-call tickets yeterday, I noticed that the signs inside the box office providing "official" instructions to Staples workers said that "professional cameras" were not permitted. Don't know exactly what the means, but clearly the intent is to allow fans to bring cameras in for personal use.

hope this info isn't too late.... they do allow cameras in staples center. they did last night. that one show in april, i think they didn't allow cameras cuz i think that was the show where they were shooting an episode of entourage.

Back
Top Bottom