spotting u2 in STL chizip (or anyone) can you help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russmadem

The Fly
Hello all,
My wife and I will be going to St. Louis next week for the show. It will be my eighth and final show of this tour. It will also be the fifth city in which i seen them. I usually try to see the band before the show, either as they leave their hotel, or as they arrive at the arena. They (as well as their security people) always seem very comfortable letting them pose for pix and sign a few autographs. As a rule, we are not supposed to list the hotel they are staying at, but it is usually a poorly kept secret (except in Atlanta where no other fans besides me was around). I have got to meet them in this manner a few times. I have gotten some great pix, but I have never been at the front of the crowd so i could get an autograph. In Atlanta, I seen Adam out for a walk, but they left via a private entrance to go to the show. Does anyone know where the likely spot is in St. Louis to try and get a picture or autograph. My wife would get a thrill out of seeing them outside of the concert arena. If we have no luck catching them at their hotel, where will they pull into the Savvis Center at? Since they are in St. Louis only one night, will they even be staying there, and if so, which night? Chizip, I was told you might be a wealth of St. Louis info. If you or anyone else can help us, please let me know. If you are not wanting to put the info. on this website, feel free to email me at gregory@adams.net Happy holidays to all and maybe I'll see you in St. Louis. Also, Miroslava, if you read this, it was nice to meet you in Atlanta.

haha well i dont know how much info i have, but ill shoot you an email

Good thing I periodally search my name cause people leave messages for me in random threads like this that I would probably never check otherwise! :lol:

It was indeed very nice to meet you! Good luck with your quest! :D

OK so I found out St. Louis probably won't be a good place to meet them. They are apparently staying in Chicago for all the Midwest shows. So they'll fly in for the show, go straight to the venue, then after the show fly right back to Chicago.

I heard they might not even get into until around 6, so they probably won't have much time, if any, to sign for people outside the venue.

Chizip,
Thanks for the info. If our only chance is when they come into the arena, which entrance will they enter at? Also, I may be bringing some friends with me who are without tix. Where do the scalpers hang out at around Savvis? We still need to get a hotel, and since I promised my wife a nice hotel, what would be your best guess on where the band would stay if on the off chance they stayed in STL? We may just go with the Hyatt since it is so close by. Thanks for all your help. Scott

Hey Russ,

I am a native and somewhat familiar with a few of the things your asking.

Hotels they might stay at? In the downtown area, there's an Adam's Mark several blocks from the venue, right near the Arch grounds. There's a Sheraton right near the arena, but not quite as ritzy as the Adam's Mark. Speaking of ritzy, I've also heard that quite a number of celebs choose the Ritz Carlton in nearby Clayton, MO, just outside the STL city limits. These are guesses, mind you, so I could be completely wrong. The scenario of them flying in from Chicago seems more plausible to me, although I think it would be before 6:00 since I would assume they'd need a soundcheck.

As far as where they would enter into the Savvis Center, there's a parking garage adjacent to the building on the west side of the venue. Now, I should tell you that while this is a public garage, I have seen St. Louis Blues hockey players exiting this area after morning practice, so it is a possibility. There might be another more "covert" VIP entrance on the east side, but it's been awhile since I've been there, so I can't vouch for that. My advice would be to show up sometime in the early afternoon and see where the folks not standing in the GA line (where I'll be) are at. They may have already scoped things out and figured it out.

Hope this helps. See you there.

SG

Thanks Space Ghost,
I appreciate the help. I am somewhat familiar with the parking garage entrance. If I remember correctly, there really isn't a good spot to stop and get out right in that area without blocking the entrance to the garage, so that is somewhat discouraging. You are probably right in that people will have congregated where they will come in at. Chizip, do you have anything else to add? Again, thanks to all.... see you there. scott

Savvis Center will be a pain in the Ass with bring in your cameras. I recommend straighting this out with the arena before doors. Security were assholes last September when I was there. You could not hold up your cell phone just because the fear that you are recording the show. I assume there were alot of bootlegs from Elevation so thats why they have a strict policy.

Super_Fan said:
Savvis Center will be a pain in the Ass with bring in your cameras. I recommend straighting this out with the arena before doors. Security were assholes last September when I was there.

This is directly from the Savvis Center website, in regards to the U2 show...

"Point and shoot, disposable and digital still cameras will be permitted. No video, audio recording devices, or cameras with detachable lenses."

(since I have less than 15 posts, the board won't allow me to hyper link to the page...just go to savviscenter.net with the www in front of it)

SG

BTW, I have a taper friend of mine who will be there and he plans to tape it.

Chizip said:

I heard they might not even get into until around 6, so they probably won't have much time, if any, to sign for people outside the venue.

:sad: that happens at all my shows I'm starting to take it personally.

Since this will be my first U2 show on the unseated floor, I have a question for you "seasoned" GA floor attendees... Let's say you spend 7, 8, 10 hours (whatever) in the GA line outside...maybe even only 1 or 2 hours. Once inside, let's say you get up close to the ellipse, not necessarily in it, but up close. Do you then have to stand there for the next 3 or 4 or 5 hours, with no beer run, no bathroom break, no nothing? I realize it's first come, first serve, but do all fans really stay put for that long? I would think that U2 fans would be of the general cool ilk and not be all pushy-shovey, but also know we're humans and sometimes could be selfish. And another for instance...let's say my wife and I do get lucky and get near the ramp...then let's say she goes to use the restroom while I stay and save our place...is it then going to next to impossible for her to make it back to where I'm at because everyone's packed in like sardines or worse yet, no one will let her get by? I guess I'm just trying to figure out would it really be worth standing in the GA line for hours on end when it may be just as easy to get around without all the hassle. Who knows, maybe we'll get really lucky and get inside the ellipse and not have to worry about it. Is there maybe a thread somewhere around here where these issues are discussed?

Thanks.

SG

SG, I don't have much experience outside the ellipse, so I am unsure there, but I do have a few pointers to maybe help you with the ellipse. First, if you get in the ellipse, go in as soon as possible. Even if you can't stand Kanye West, get in there and get the best spot you can and establish your territory. The prime spots on the rail and in the center will be gone quickly, but you may be able to get outside rail or be just 3 or 4 people deep in the middle of the stage. A lot of people will wander around until the opening act is done, if you want a close spot, get it early. Once you have a spot, take turns going out for bathroom/beer breaks. Leave one of you there to protect your little area. For the most part people will honor this method, but sometimes people will take your spot and never move back out. If you befriend the people around you it helps, everyone can help save each other's spot. IF you don't get scanned in, hang around the back of the floor area (unless you get close to the circle part of the stage). Try and chat up or befriend any U2 crew members that you see. Some of them have extra wristbands to hand out. Be nice and polite, and if you have a child or a nice looking girl with you it seems to help. I befriended a crew member and he has been extremely helpful in getting me in the ellipse at different shows. I just hope I can find him at STL before he runs out of wristbands. You seem familiar with Savvis, can you tell me where to look for scalpers? I have a friend, maybe two, going and will have to buy tix on site. Good Luck, russmadem

Russ, I always see scalpers hanging near the Metrolink light-rail station situated about 75-100 yds. south of the venue. I've also seen them near that west parking garage I mentioned previously, maybe a little further towards the Union Station mall. They're generally left alone by the cops for most events, but I would imagine with it being the biggest band in the world, security will be beefed up pretty tight. In Missouri, I don't think it's a crime to try and buy from scalpers, only to sell.

Thanks for your tips on the ellipse. I tracked down a couple other threads, and while I didn't get as good an answer as you gave, it does appear that we may not have to wait for hours on end in line. It wouldn't be so bad if it was still warm out, but it's been cold as hell here lately, and today we got a few inches of snow. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks mingle outside the floor area during Kanye West. If we don't get scanned into the ellipse, I'll probably be one of those people, and maybe even as you said, hanging near some U2 staffers or something to "edge" our way into the fray.

SG

FWIW, I saw Ms. Manson from Garbage enter Savvis at the rear northwest entrance back on the elevation tour. There is a drive that does a 90 degree turn beside the parking garage, and she was dropped off at the curb. I was looking for U2 also, but I never saw them. But there was a lot of security around that entrance, and they wouldn't let me hang around long.

Also, I would recommend that, if you don't get into the ellipse, you would be wise to stay at your spot if you want to keep it. There is plenty of room inside the ellipse, and you could risk leaving it and still getting a decent spot, but you would be hard pressed to get back to the rail on the outside if you happened to leave it. From experience, it is difficult to maintain a position outside of the ellipse, off the rail.

Back
Top Bottom