South America & Central America Tour Rumours 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can read Spanish...says they can confirm Mexico and Brazil. Peru is a possibility (sounds more like wishful thinking). The other article says they will come says they are coming to the Foro del Sol in Mexico City, don't have exact dates for Mexico yet but they are close in negotiations.

For those asking about South American dates: fans saw clipboards of U2's crew with various international city names, including Tokyo, Mexico and Sao Paolo.

pepokiss said:
WHERE's SANTIAGO?????? :rant:

I wouldn't be sad/mad yet pepokiss, if they are going to bring the whole show over to South America they wouldn't just go to Brazil, I think Santiago would definitely be a stop too.

Well the thing about Chile is that the band had to cross over the Andes Mountains when they took the popmart tour to chile. And it was an expensive and damaging ordeal, as some of the equipment was damaged in the transportation. And all of that to just do one show. I'm not saying Chile doesn't deserve a show cause from what i hear the crowd in 1998 was MAD, but it seems like a logistical nightmare and they may not feel it's worth the effort. But definitely look for shows in Rio, Sao Paulo, probably one more Brazilian city, Buenos Aires, and maybe Montevideo, uruguay. Also the rumors say Peru, so we'll see. I hope they tour everywhere so everone gets a chance, but you have to take logistics and finances into consideration.

The_acrobat said:
Well the thing about Chile is that the band had to cross over the Andes Mountains when they took the popmart tour to chile. And it was an expensive and damaging ordeal, as some of the equipment was damaged in the transportation. And all of that to just do one show. I'm not saying Chile doesn't deserve a show cause from what i hear the crowd in 1998 was MAD, but it seems like a logistical nightmare and they may not feel it's worth the effort. But definitely look for shows in Rio, Sao Paulo, probably one more Brazilian city, Buenos Aires, and maybe Montevideo, uruguay. Also the rumors say Peru, so we'll see. I hope they tour everywhere so everone gets a chance, but you have to take logistics and finances into consideration.

What Brazilian city?

shy said:

What Brazilian city?

I just figured they would play in another city in Brazil. Maybe Rio and Sao Paulo is all they'll do, like on popmart. i don't know what city... those are the only 2 brazilian cities i know of. Surely Brazil has more than 2 big cities to accomodate a big concert like U2.

The_acrobat said:

I just figured they would play in another city in Brazil. Maybe Rio and Sao Paulo is all they'll do, like on popmart. i don't know what city... those are the only 2 brazilian cities i know of. Surely Brazil has more than 2 big cities to accomodate a big concert like U2.

I think it would be São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro e Porto Alegre, and there are rumors about one city of Espírito Santo ( near Rio de Janeiro ), there are the most important Petroil Reserve," Bacia de Campos ", a lot of oil exploration platforms, like Paul McGuinness said in the interview for a Brazilian TV.

U2 comes to Brazil for 2 shows in 2006

JOSE NORBERTO FLESCH
Contribution for the Folha Online

The Irish band U2 closed contract to make two shows in Brazil in 2006. The dates are marked: days 21 and 22 of February. Who goes to bring the band to the country is the entrepreneur Luiz Niemeyer Oscar, of Rio De Janeiro - it exactly that it will bring Rolling Stones for land national, also in February. For the time being, one knows that one of shows will be in São Paulo. Although the place still goes to be defined, the most likely one is that it is in the stadium of the Morumbi. To another presentation in it is opened, but it must be reserved for the Rio.

Mexico City is also a closed deal, the rumoured date is March 2 to play in Foro Sol (the same venue they played during Popmart), is rumoured they will play 2 shows in there, and also theres a rumour they may play in Monterrey.

Well if U2's nasty habit of scheduling stuff (see the Australia thread) during high season/major events, when one can't possibly get a room or when it's majorly expensive, holds then Rio will probably be sometime the 25th-27th. :wink:

Last edited:
So the rumours so far are?

21 February 2006 - Brazil
22 February 2006 - Brazil
2 March 2006 - Mexico City Foro Sol
16 March 2006 - Auckland Western Springs
17 March 2006 - Auckland Western Springs
24 March 2006 - Melbourne Telstra Dome
25 March 2006 - Melbourne Telstra Dome

I'm posting this everywhere as I'm quite excited. Don't mind me.

Back
Top Bottom