So it's Kylie VS U2 this November in Australia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
Bugger.

So Kylie's very first concert after her 'cancer battle' is scheduled for November 11 at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, the same night as the second U2 show. Luckily I have tickets for both U2 shows in Sydney - so I'll go the Friday night - but considering the Kylie tour was postponed eight months before the U2 one, how dodgy is that her tour will now clash with Bono and the boys?

I know it wont affect many people, but I wanna see U2 and Kylie - and now while I can on the same weekend - it has thrown a lot of plans into dissarray.

See, its probably my own fault - I only got a ticket for the 2nd U2 show so i could go with a bunch of South African mates - even though I had a ticket for the first night... greed. Whoops!

So anyone else now faced with Kylie/U2 dilemmas? :wink: :drool: :wink:

You would see Kylie over U2? :huh:

Personally, I'm disappointed Kylie even made music in the first place.

adambk said:
I wouldnt but I respect other peoples tastes Axver

Yeah, I respect other people's tastes, but Kylie? She makes me cringe.

I'd have liked to have got a ticket for Kylie in the first place, but considering I'm not that enthused to see her from the back of an Ent Centre, I'm not too disappointed (I saw her on her intimate Theatre tour, when she was "indie" and that was cool).

Axver said:

Yeah, I respect other people's tastes, but Kylie? She makes me cringe.

Kylie's a little hottie. Her music is irrelevant. ;-)

I hope she has the buzzcut still :) I'm not a huge Kylie fan, but the girl puts on a spectacle. I'm always interested in what she does. Plus its teh first show back after her cancer battle - so she'll be out to prove she is well - and lets be honest - a Sydney crowd on a Satuirday night at a Kylie show... I may be the only hetero one there! :wink:

thatsnotmypuppy said:
So Kylie's very first concert after her 'cancer battle' is scheduled for November 11 at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, the same night as the second U2 show. Luckily I have tickets for both U2 shows in Sydney - so I'll go the Friday night - but considering the Kylie tour was postponed eight months before the U2 one, how dodgy is that her tour will now clash with Bono and the boys?

I honestly thought U2 fans had better taste then this :tsk:

I remember her debut album and its singles I Should Be So Lucky and The Locomotion were hits in the US back in 1989. I don't recall if she did a tour behind it though. She lost all that popularity until she finally had another US hit around 2001 or 2002.

James Dean Bradfield from Manic Street Preachers is a big Kylie fan. Michael Hutchence liked at least her charms, if not her music as well. It may be entirely because she's really good looking, but I get the feeling that Kylie is probably a guilty pleasure for a lot of people who generally like harder sounding and less poppy music.

Billy Joel is playing the same week... bring on the negative comments for that one... I happen to like him and will be going - (4 U2 shows + a BJ in one week, phew, the pressure.)

BTW, does it really matter what "taste" U2 fans have? And who is the judge of this? Can we not be eclectic and appreciate that all "taste" is one person's opinion and is unlikely to ever mirror our own? I expect there will be several people who have ticket clashes, thatsnotmypuppy, so I hope you work your predicament out.

U2FanPeter said:

Has she ever toured the US?

Well Halup has already answed that, but i figure she's not world wide popular as U2 are, and its a bit like Robbie Williams, hes massive in europe and australia (other places too), but not so much the US.

shika said:
BTW, does it really matter what "taste" U2 fans have? And who is the judge of this?

I will be the judge, and you and your childrens children are banned from interference...........for two weeks!....on case of liking Billy Joel

:wink: Just Kidding!

Hey, don't make me start quoting lyrics in defence :lmao: well, actually, I don't think I could. I don't like him that much, it's more sentimentality and I'm being dragged along by the b/f...

bono_man2002 said:

Well Halup has already answed that, but i figure she's not world wide popular as U2 are, and its a bit like Robbie Williams, hes massive in europe and australia (other places too), but not so much the US.

Kylie could have easily played decent sized venues in the US in the late 80's or circa 2001. Robbie's only attempts at success in the US could only get him to play in clubs...at best. I think Kylie has played some US radio sponsored Xmas shows that have like 8 acts on the bill and play in arenas with each artist doing no more than 30 minutes or so.

u2fp

Who knows - Kylie might just show up at a U2 show - not only will Bono be aware of how popular she is in Australia but Kylie once did refer to Bono as being a "father figure" to her..

I bet Kylie will show up at a U2 gig. She was the girlfriend for several years of Michael Hutchence, so I'm sure Bono and Kylie spent some good times together with Michael.

Axver said:
So which Kylie song is Bono going to snippet? :wink:

Perhaps Neon Lights(Kraftwerk) or Dancing Queen(ABBA)?

Or maybe Kylie can sing Old Man River reading from a sheet of paper?

BTW, are Kylie and Bono both currently going to the same barber?

u2fp

Im going to Billy Joel too!!

Thankfully it doesnt clash with any U2 dates so November is gonna be a great month!

I could seriously picture a few 'I Should Be So Lucky's' at the end of 'All I Want Is You'...

Does anyone know what the chances are of a 3rd Sydney show? Or was that all just wild speculation?

bono_man said:
Does anyone know what the chances are of a 3rd Sydney show? Or was that all just wild speculation?

I think chances are probably pretty good, actually. That gap is wide open, it almost screams "there's a show here!", and the source that correctly predicted the 10th and 11th also predicted the 13th, so ...

jonnytakeawalk said:
What about a third Melbourne show?! :hyper:

There's room for it. The second show is on the 19th and Auckland isn't until the 24th. We know U2 can go between Australia and NZ with just two days of downtime as the original itinerary called for Auckland on 18 March and Brisbane on 21 March.

I think U2 could easily sell out a third Melbourne show on 21 November. I hope it happens. I wonder when we'll get some confirmation or denial ...

Back
Top Bottom