San Jose GA procedures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brand new info - this seems more in line with what we've seen. . .

HP Pavilion at San Jose
U2 General Admission Line Management Policy
April 9 & 10, 2005
(As of April 7, 2005 – Subject to Change)
HP Pavilion at San Jose welcomes guests with General Admission (GA) tickets to arrive and form
the line in advance of typical arrival times for events. All guests are required to abide by the
provisions within the following policy. Ticket holders found in violation of the following policy
may be asked to surrender their tickets and leave HP Pavilion property.
• The GA line will be formed along the Santa Clara Street wall of HP Pavilion as indicated by
signs saying “General Admission Ticket Holders Line”. The GA line will enter HP Pavilion
through the doors between the Grill Restaurant and the Sharks Store.
• GA ticket holders may begin lining up at 8:00 am on the date of show.
• Only GA ticket holders who have their ticket in their possession are permitted in the line.
• Entering the GA line indicates the guest’s agreement to abide by all HP Pavilion policies and
procedures (the same as while inside the building).
• Upon arrival, each guest who has a GA ticket will have a sequentially numbered wristband put
on his or her right wrist. The order of entrance into the building will be based on the number of
the guest’s wristband. Wristbands will be provided on a first come, first served basis. Once a
GA ticket holder has their wristband, they may remain in line or leave the area, but must return
to their sequential place in line by 5:00 pm.
• Other ticket holders must remain outside of the blockaders that separate the GA line.
• Guests are not permitted to “hold” a place in line for other guests who are arriving later.
• The wristband must remain on the guest’s right wrist while in line. Loss or removal of the
wristband will require the guest to obtain another wristband and take their sequential place in
line. Guests must also have their ticket in their possession at all times. Any guest found with a
tampered wristband will have his or her wristband confiscated and will lose their place in line.
• GA ticket holders will be admitted in sequential order once doors are opened (scheduled for 6:15
pm), with priority access given to U2.com Fan Club members, as identified by their Fan Club
membership card or a copy of their Fan Club member profile.
• All GA ticket holders will have their ticket scanned once inside the building to determine if they
will be randomly selected to receive a wristband for access into the Ellipse portion of the U2
stage. If selected, the guest will be permitted to select one other guest to also receive an Ellipse
wristband.
• Guests are permitted to have a reasonable amount of food and non-alcoholic beverages while in
line (no bottles, cans or food are allowed into the building).
• Please be respectful of other guests in line - no running, pushing or line jumping; no alcohol,
drugs or glass containers; no horseplay or unsafe behavior; no profanity; no tailgating, open
flames or barbeques; no selling of tickets, wristbands, concessions or merchandise; no animals
(except service animals); no smoking in line.
Thanks – Have a Great Time!!

AlliDreamsOutLoud said:

If HP forces everyone to leave then there's nothing you can do about it. I hope that is the case. However, what I'm worried about is what the U2 Tour ppl have to say during the middle of the day. Say you get there at 8am, get your wristband, go back home and come back at 4:30p...and there are 2 lines when you return. Like Lyrical Drug said, they might just toss HP's procedures out the window, and do what they've done the past 6 shows. (Split everyone into 2 lines). Now that would be chaos. It could be done, lining ppl up into 2 lines with the numbered wristbands but still would be confusing. Oh well.....I just want to see the band. I'll enjoy the day and whatever happens...happens! We'll be seeing them in less than 2 days!!!! :hyper:

This means it's all the more important that everyone leaves once they get their wristband. There's power in numbers! If everyone leaves and comes back at 5:00 then the few people in line aren't going to be able to do anything except take their sequential place in line. If 75% of the people stick around all day then it will be chaos at 5:00 no matter what the U2 people say/do.

Maybe I will stick around and intimidate people to leave Tony Soprano style. I'll go grab a couple Russian mobsters from the city and I'll just walk around with the two guys behind me saying "It would be in your best interest to leave and come back at 5:00." :D

I'm sure arena staff will be there to ensure it runs smoothly and that everyone honors the wristband system. Think positive!

I, for one, will be there before 8am but then I'm coming back to the city to take a nap before I drive down again. Nothing like being well-rested before a U2 show!

Just got back from the line up. Everything went really smoothly. The first people in line had a list and a sharpie -- you wrote your name on the list and your number on your hand. HP staff came across the street around 8 and handed out wristbands and today's GA policy. It seemed to me that about 95% of the people who were in line (we were #103 and #104) left right away. HP staff said they'll be lining everyone up according to number in one big line, then splitting the FAN people out into a separate line. Here's the handout:

U2001.jpg

I can't wait for tonight! :hyper: :dancing: :hyper: :rockon: :hyper:

RedLiteGreyMorn said:
It seemed to me that about 95% of the people who were in line (we were #103 and #104) left right away.

What time did you get there?

I got there at 7:20, and was number 80 in line. Everything ran very smoothly, as to be expected from San Jose. All the fans had lined up across the street from the arena, since the policy was no one allowed on the premises until 8. The first few fans in line said they got there around 5 am this morning.

At 8:00, the event staff came across the street to the fan-organized line-up, figuring it'd be easier to wristband everyone where they already were, rather than try and move the entire line. It worked well, and they checked your ticket, gave out numbered wristbanded, and handed out info sheets.

We all have to be back in line before 5 pm.

It's nice to be home, and able to take a nap, barbecue, and relax before the show.

Once again, San Jose is the best-organized venue of the tour!

Things to watch for at tonight's concert:

1) Bono mentioning the iPod, which was invented in the San Jose suburbs;

2) A new song off the new album: last time they played here, they broke out "Kite" during the second show. Maybe "Original" or "Crumbs" will appear on the setlist?

3) High level of playing from the band: last tour, the San Jose shows were legendary. Afterwards, Bono said it might have been the best performance of his life. Willie Williams said in his tour diary that the SJ concerts were perfect.

...Only 6 more hours til lineup... awww yeah

Just wanted to say that the GA line was incredibly organized and worked without a hitch (at least to my knowledge)! What a great experience. Props to the HP Pavilion staff.

LyricalDrug said:
3) High level of playing from the band: last tour, the San Jose shows were legendary. Afterwards, Bono said it might have been the best performance of his life. Willie Williams said in his tour diary that the SJ concerts were perfect.

No mention of the iPod and no new album song, but there was indeed a high level of playing from the band. They were ON tonight. Bono sounded terrific, and even some of the old warhorses sounded fresh and energetic.

Great concert!

where is willie williams' tour diary. i checked on u2.com but couldnt find it, and i am a subscriber...

LyricalDrug said:

2) A new song off the new album: last time they played here, they broke out "Kite" during the second show. Maybe "Original" or "Crumbs" will appear on the setlist?

...Only 6 more hours til lineup... awww yeah

Lyrical Drug, you just might just be a little psychic. OOTS played at night two (although I did read that it was Steve Jobs' fave off the new album so maybe not so surprising that it's played at a show he's likely attending but I like the psychic power explanation better).

Those were two damn-fine shows!

by350 said:
Just wanted to say that the GA line was incredibly organized and worked without a hitch (at least to my knowledge)! What a great experience. Props to the HP Pavilion staff.

Not the 2nd night. Getting the wristbands went off without a hitch. Lining back up at 5pm went off without a hitch. The security guards lined everyone up in two separate lines and made sure all the people were where they were supposed to be (according to the number on their wristband). But then, they cut off everyone's wristbands and moved the the line to right in front of the doors...and the line became a total jumble (just one big group of fans, no form of a line at all). It worked out great if you were number 34 in line and wanted to become number 2. I got totally fucked over. I was first in line, but was FAR from the first person (even one of the first group of people) to make it to the floor. The security guards just completely failed to control the line (and the fans that weren't among the first few in line definitely didn't help any).

Back
Top Bottom