Rumoured extra date for Melbourne Nov

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annabelle

New Yorker
Channel 7 announced a possible "G8 type" show in Melbourne on 21st November at Telstra Dome on the news tonight. Not much more detail other than it will be for charity.

It looked like some old video off U2.com. He was talking about Make Poverty History in general.

anyway.. . great news for those who failed to get tickets for the earlier shows. :)

Pearl Jam is playing adelaide that night I'm afraid...... otherwise I would be booking plane tix to aussie!

Well, the schedule certainly allows for a third show to be slotted in on the 21st, and ever since the tour was announced, I was wondering if there would be something in there. I hope there is! :hyper:

U2FanPeter said:
Kylie and inxs are both available that night and on the continent.

Putting them on the bill would be the quickest way to slash attendance figures in half. :wink:

Kylie, a definite possibility, good friend of Bono's and all, Melbourne is her home town, big crowd/attention puller in Australia. INXS, no fucking way will you see that happen.

If it is in G20/Festival type vein, they will probably make up the balance with Aussie acts who will be around for Homebake the week after, like Silverchair etc. This type of gig also sounds like the perfect coat tails for Powderfiner to ride Count them in as well.

I still don't get the idea of having a gig aimed at G20 being held 2 days after the conference has ended though. :huh:

edit: And just as I post, I see that the date booked is now the 17th, which makes way more sense. But the Myer Music Bowl wtf is this Carols By Candlelight?

Last edited:
People, there is NO WAY U2 will play on the 17th. Look at the schedule:

16/11 - Adelaide
18/11 - Melbourne
19/11 - Melbourne

Adding a performance on 17/11 is four performances in four days. U2 haven't even played three days in a row this tour (and only done it once on both Elevation and Popmart), and I don't think they've done four days in a row since the bloody War Tour!

So I say the 17th is out.

It's not like it would be a full set or anything, and the boys will be really well rested considering where the previous gig is.

If U2 + Kanye + Pearl Jam + Robbie/Kylie were all to play at the same gig for free, there would only be one venue in Melbourne that would get remotely close to holding them all. And that place would be kind of cool fully decked out for a gig.

Would be great to see.

U2 very rarely play three nights in a row these days though but 2-3 songs like Live 8 shouldn't be out of the question.

If they bring some other bands over from the UK/Ireland it'd be fookin mega!

This would all be so cool! I'd say it would be televised too!

They could just use Telstra Dome and the Vertigo stage and make it like Slane, a U2 show with an extended support.

U2 - 2 hrs
Kylie Minogue - 1 hr 20mins
Robbie Williams - 1 hr
BILLY JOEL - 1 hr (come on....)
Silverchair - 45mins
Powderfinger - 45mins
Youth Group - 30 mins
Little Birdy - 30 mins

Alas...Billy Joel will be in Brisbane on the 21st (assuming that would be the date). I will just have to sing Piano Man to myself then!

From today's Herald Sun:

U2 may play free

U2 may play in a free concert coinciding with November's G20 economic summit in Melbourne.
A concert has been booked for November 17 at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, modelled on last year's Live8 Concert in London. As with Live8, the free concert would raise awareness of the Make Poverty History campaign.
U2 lead singer Bono has supported the campaign in the past. A music industry insider says U2 scheduled the return to Melbourne around the G20 summit and has kept the night of November 17 free.
The band will play at sold-out shows at Telstra Dome on November 18 and 19. If they do play free, the gig may have to be moved to a bigger venue.

All signs point to a show a la Live8. Just two or three songs I suppose. So.

How do I get in? :hyper:

This makes much more sense. I was thinking the a Tuesday night in Melbourne (21st) would not really lend itself to a G8 style charity performance.

U2 at the Bowl! who woulda thought!

We'll see soon enough...

timothius said:
It's not like it would be a full set or anything, and the boys will be really well rested considering where the previous gig is.

Heh. I still maintain, it will be a cold day in hell before we see U2 play four shows in four days ever again (even if the second one has a short set).

I hope we'll see a third show on the 21st, even if it isn't charity-related. That date IS wide open.

IIRC, U2 played 4 days straight during the Toronto rehearsals and during the Vancouver rehearsals.

Was it 4 days in a row when they did Conan last year?

timothius said:

What does the temprature in Wellington have to do with U2's touring schedule? :huh:

It's going to happen, I'd say.

:lol: Where you wrote 'Wellington', you meant 'Auckland'.

I say a third show on the 21st will happen, but a show on the 17th won't. To whoever brought up rehearsals, well, you nullified your own point, they're rehearsals. Bono often doesn't sing, only sings some parts, or talks/mumbles through songs. A rehearsal is in no way comparable to a public concert, even a limited set.

From todays (Aug 5) The Age (Melbourne)

"Australia is experiencing a concert boom, with music fans young and old snapping up tickets to both nostalgia acts and buzz bands.
A huge line-up of marquee acts, including U2, Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams, will come our way later this year, which combined with a huge Make Poverty History concert at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl... U2, which rescheduled its Australian tour to coincide with the G20 economic summit in Melbourne, is on the wish list for the charity concert, which is being organised by the Australian branch of Make Poverty History for November 17"

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music...summer-of-music/2006/08/04/1154198334325.html

And from MPH Australia website:
"This makes the Melbourne meeting of the G20 on November 18 and 19 even more important. As a build up, there'll be actions for students, a global attempt on the Guinness Book of Records and a massive concert on November 17"

Interesting!

Axver said:

:lol: Where you wrote 'Wellington', you meant 'Auckland'.

I say a third show on the 21st will happen, but a show on the 17th won't. To whoever brought up rehearsals, well, you nullified your own point, they're rehearsals. Bono often doesn't sing, only sings some parts, or talks/mumbles through songs. A rehearsal is in no way comparable to a public concert, even a limited set.

Bono sung 5 shows/6 nights in Seattle/Vancouver, including the COBL shoot.

BTW, he sung at about 80% strength all the lyrics at the Vancouver rehearsals. I was there and personally heard them.

Back
Top Bottom