New Zealand - One Week Out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiwi down under

Babyface
Thought i would share some thoughts and start a thread for the NZ leg of the tour.

I think we will get "One Tree Hill" where the band has been playing Miss Sarajevo. It fits emotionally as a lead in too the end of the first set finishing with "Pride", "Streets" and "One"

The weather is warm but crap here at the moment, we deserve two fine evenings after our long wait. But with the shows being in Auckland ( the city of four seasons in one day, who knows)

Will we be the first to hear "Window In The Skies" live? But what to leave out of current setlists in Aussie? Maybe after "Yahweh" leaving "Walk On" out.
Thats a personal hope.

Hows Auckland going to cope with the traffic, its crap on a quiet day. Went to the Stones in April. Took 2 & 1/2 hours to get back to our hotel. A matter of a few km's. Mt Smart, the venue, which incidently has a perfect view of "One Tree Hill" has less feeds to central motorway systems than "Western Springs" where the "Stones concert was.

"One Tree Hill" has no tree on it now, got cut down by activists, but lets hope the band feel the passion playing under it as is portrayed on the Joshua Tree

Roll on 24th & 25th. Its going to be worth the wait

I don't see the band touching Miss Sarajevo. If they are going to do a full band One Tree Hill, I can see it replacing Kite as the current version of Kite is a bit too "Australian" to suit a New Zealand context, or perhaps somewhere between New Year's Day and SYCMIOYO in the main set. I'm hopeful that they will do it: two nights rather than one makes it more worthwhile, it's 20 years since Greg Carroll's death, and as you say, the stadium's near the Hill, which might inspire them.

Also, if U2 do choose to play Window In The Skies, I see Auckland as being the last chance for its debut. Then at least it gets played in New Zealand, Japan, and Hawaii. Debuting it any later with so few shows to go that you can count them all with the fingers of one hand doesn't seem like something U2 would be inclined to do. Plus, in Auckland's favour, it is the first city played after the release of U218. I could imagine WITS taking over from Kite as the closer. Or maybe they'll just redo Kite so that it doesn't need the didgeridoo but still works as a closer.

Actually U218 is released this Saturday - so Melbourne will be the first recipient of a U2 visit when that compilation hits the street.

I thought it was Nov 20 for release. It is here in NZ. Heres hoping then for you guys(thatsnotmypuppy) across the ditch that you get it live first. I have only heard it a few times and have found the words "look what loves done to me" sticking in my head.

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Actually U218 is released this Saturday - so Melbourne will be the first recipient of a U2 visit when that compilation hits the street.

It's the 20th in Australia, NZ, and the UK and the 21st in the US. Parts of Europe or Japan might get it on the 18th, I'm not sure.

Axver said:

It's the 20th in Australia, NZ, and the UK and the 21st in the US. Parts of Europe or Japan might get it on the 18th, I'm not sure.

Sanity have it for This Saturday, Pretty sure Leading Edge do as well. I will probably pick it up tomorrow after work

bono_man2002 said:

Sanity have it for This Saturday, Pretty sure Leading Edge do as well. I will probably pick it up tomorrow after work

Huh. I just checked U2.com and that oh-so-reliable source, Wikipedia (though I would have at least thought that with U2's popularity, someone on Wikipedia would have added the right date).

I can't believe you're wasting your money on it. Want to make a donation to the Money For André Fund? It's for a more worthwhile cause than Adam's spoons. :wink:

Axver said:

Huh. I just checked U2.com and that oh-so-reliable source, Wikipedia (though I would have at least thought that with U2's popularity, someone on Wikipedia would have added the right date).

I can't believe you're wasting your money on it. Want to make a donation to the Money For André Fund? It's for a more worthwhile cause than Adam's spoons. :wink:

I said I'd pick it up, but not buy it :wink:

I'm only really after the Milan footage :shrug:

bono_man2002 said:

I said I'd pick it up, but not buy it :wink:

I'm only really after the Milan footage :shrug:

If anything on Milan is so sensational that everyone raves about it, I may just torrent it. :wink:

I probably would torrent it anyway if it had The Electric Co. :drool:

Axver said:

If anything on Milan is so sensational that everyone raves about it, I may just torrent it. :wink:

I probably would torrent it anyway if it had The Electric Co. :drool:

:drool: If it Had Electric Co, I would buy it twice :)...well not really....

I think we will get "One Tree Hill" where the band has been playing Miss Sarajevo. It fits emotionally as a lead in too the end of the first set finishing with "Pride", "Streets" and "One"

What do guys think??.

Like I said before, not a chance. I don't see Miss Sarajevo going anywhere.

I've been pondering, lets what you guys think of this. On November 24th it will not only be the 20th anniversary of Greg Caroll's death, but the 15th of Freddie Mercury's. I was wondering earlier of the chances of a Queen snippet during the show :hmm:.

May seem stupid, but I think about these things :wink: .

MacHat said:
I've been pondering, lets what you guys think of this. On November 24th it will not only be the 20th anniversary of Greg Caroll's death, but the 15th of Freddie Mercury's. I was wondering earlier of the chances of a Queen snippet during the show :hmm:.

May seem stupid, but I think about these things :wink: .

Always possible, especially if just a snippet. But I don't know how likely it is that the anniversary of Mercury's death would really be on Bono's mind unless someone tells him. The 20th anniversary of Greg's passing (technically July 3rd, I think), though, is much more likely to be in the thoughts of the band.

I'm hoping for at least some OTH. WITS would be awesome, but I'll still consider myself very lucky if we get OTH. :yes:

Last edited:
"One Tree Hill" has no tree on it now, got cut down by activists, but lets hope the band feel the passion playing under it as is portrayed on the Joshua Tree

Utoo said:

Always possible, especially if just a snippet. But I don't know how likely it is that the anniversary of Mercury's death would really be on Bono's mind unless someone tells him. The 20th anniversary of Greg's passing (technically July 3rd, I think), though, is much more likely to be in the thoughts of the band.

I'm hoping for at least some OTH. WITS would be awesome, but I'll still consider myself very lucky if we get OTH. :yes:

Very true, as I said it's a bit of random pondering that popped up in my head :wink: .

I'm really hoping for OTH :drool: :love:.

I've been pondering, lets what you guys think of this. On November 24th it will not only be the 20th anniversary of Greg Caroll's death, but the 15th of Freddie Mercury's.

I would have to say i agree with your thoughts

Wow, it's finally soooooo close!! Can't wait to hear what they have lined up for us!! I'm going on the 24th!!! :hyper: Finally the end of the 13 year 'drought'!!!

24th for me to. How good is it to hear the band were playing "One Tree Hill" at rehearsals in Melbourne. Looks like we are going to get it:applaud: :applaud:

Also "Window In The Skies" Kiwi's first to hear it played live???. :up: :up:

Weather is still crap here, but forecast to improve

The wait is nearly over!!!

Last edited:
I know, I'm sooooo over this weather!! Was it me or was it blimmin cold last night!!! I'm down by Bombay.....brrrrr......

Can't wait to hear One Tree Hill - I'm going to be singing my little heart out!!!

It's like christmas when I was a kid - all this buildup!!!

I'll be in the GA line on the 24th wearing a red shirt with a big ol' black bull on it. Come say 'hallo!' :wave:

Back
Top Bottom