New Zealand on U2's Agenda?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Don't get too excited but U2 maybe about too add the jewel in their touring crown soon. According to stuff.co.nz it is "more than a possibility".

U2 tipped for NZ concerts
02 August 2005

In the name of love – and big ticket sales – Irish supergroup U2 are likely to play Wellington next year as part of their world tour.

Music industry sources in Australia told The Dominion Post that U2 were seriously considering playing New Zealand early next year once the band confirmed dates in Australia.

U2 are touring Europe till late August, then the United States for the rest of the year. They plan to play Japan and Australia in January and February.

The band has the pulling power to fill Wellington's Westpac Stadium, which sold more than 30,000 tickets to Neil Diamond's show in March.

But sources said U2 had preferred indoor venues on their tours and this was likely to influence their decision. Wellington's biggest indoor venue, The Events Centre, can hold about 5000, which could mean more than one concert.

Centre manager Neville Brown said he had had no contact about U2 playing at the waterfront venue.

The boss of Auckland's planned 12,000-seat Vector Arena said in May that there was "more than a chance" U2 would play Auckland next year.

Industry sources in Wellington said contracts had been signed in New Zealand to supply sound equipment for U2 shows in the capital.

Westpac Stadium chief executive David Gray said he had not been directly contacted about U2 playing there next year. But it was possible promoters – without mentioning U2 by name – were considering bringing the band here.

"There are a lot of inquiries about dates. It's the usual story, you get calls from promoters (and) you don't know what the act is.

"We are not in direct negotiations with anybody, but we're aware that U2 is a possibility of touring this part of the world."

Pacific Entertainment Promotions director Ian Magan had heard nothing about U2 appearing in Wellington, neither had U2's last down-under tour operator, Australia's Dainty Consolidated Entertainment.

U2 last played Auckland and Christchurch in 1993, but Wellington did not have a big enough venue.

Naturally I will have a difficult decision to make. Do I sacrifice my dignity by going to Wellington to see U2 in NZ?

Oh, please let this be true. I'm moving to NZ at the end of November, plan to travel around the South Island during December, and should be back in Wellington sometime in January. Seeing them play while I'm there would kick ass.

P.S. Wellington > Auckland. :p

Wellington > any other city on earth.

Oh, I hope this is true, I desperately hope this is true. :drool:

This is blasphemy for me as a Wellingtonian to say, but the best place for U2 to play a concert in the entire WORLD would be on One Tree Hill.

Yes, even better than at Croke Park.

I'm headed to NZ on a one year Working Holiday Visa, which is actually pretty easy for us Americans to obtain. Residency might be a little more difficult though. Perhaps I'll meet a pretty kiwi chick and marry her....

timothius said:

Exactly.

How foolish are they. And here I am wandering right into their country and they immediatly begin to pay for my education which I will ultimately use against them. :D.

:lol: Silly fools, they did the same with me. They'll live to regret this! :wink:

Jade Stadium has had an upgrade too with the second tier alot higher, good camera angles :drool: Since the Elevation tour I know heaps of people who have just become fans and would be very interested in seeing them play.

Which part of New Zealand are ya travelling to ratguy?

U2NZ said:
Which part of New Zealand are ya travelling to ratguy?

All of it, I think. I'll have an entire year there, and plan on spending time on both islands. I fly into Auckland on the 29th of November, then down to Christchurch on the 3rd of December. I plan to travel around the South Island for a while before heading up to the North again to travel a bit more, then find a job.

I visited a few years ago, so I already have a good idea of the places I want to go back to. I'll be avoiding the really touristy areas (again) and sticking to more laid back areas. I'm most likely going to spend Christmas and New Years in Wanaka. I also want to explore a few areas I didn't get a chance to see last time, like Nelson and Glenorchy.

After I'm done in the South Island, my plans are intentionally loose. I'm not really sure where I'll be ending up.

The Kapiti Coast is absolutely gorgeous, just 50 minutes north of Wellington. Yes, it's where I'm from, hee. Visit the Wairarap region - southeast North Island, to the east of the Rimutaka and Tararua Ranges - if you can. Martinborough has some exceptional vineyards (my father's a wine connossieur and I grew up taking trips to Martinborough).

Though my pick for most beautiful place in New Zealand has to be Kaikoura.

Thanks for the advice. I missed out on Kaikoura the last time, and will definately make it there this time around.

Milford Sound is still the most beautiful place I've ever been. I'm already booked up on the Milford Track, so this time I'll be hiking into it.

Oooh, Milford Sound! I've never had the chance to go there, but the second I have the opportunity, you can be sure I'll be there! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom