New Orleans Show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I read on u2tours.com that U2 will be playing at the New Orleans Jazz Festival in April. It is a rumor at this point, but it seems likely given Edge's recent charity work to benefit New Orleans musicians. Since the tour will probably end in mid APril in Hawaii and the festival is at the end of April, this seems somewhat likely.
What does everyone else make of this rumor?

I doubt that U2 will play the Jazzfest. Think about how many tickets have to be sold and how many people can they fit into one outdoor place. Best bet is to see U2 in Hawaii in April. U2 would play the Jazz fest if they did another run of the U.S.

I would say Live 8 is pretty damn close to a festival but for a real cause. . .then again this year's Jazz Fest would be a pretty good cause!!

Besides Live 8, has U2 played a festival since 1985? I can't think of anything right now.

Axver said:
Besides Live 8, has U2 played a festival since 1985? I can't think of anything right now.

Tibetan Freedom Concert, June 7, 1997 (think it was the 7th) at Downing Stadium, NYC, they played a five song set. Ahh, memories...

Hmm, not sure if Conspiracy Of Hope counts as a festival or not. But OK, so we have Tibetan Freedom and Live 8, both with brief U2 sets. The last time they played a full, proper set at a festival was in 1985, I think. If this New Orleans rumour is true, would they just briefly appear for a few songs, or would they play a proper U2 set?

It's borderline. It is an annual concert, involving numerous bands with a "headliner" to me thats enough to make it a festival. However I am happy to dub it Slane's I Can't Believe It's Not Festival.

Well, various places only permit 1 concert or a very low amount of concerts per year. I believe Boston's Fenway Park only has one act a year, for example. Doesn't make that a festival ...

I think it is a very strong possiblity! Their schedule would be open for that time period which I believe is sometime toward end of april. I am not sure if it would be all four members of U2 but could very well be Bono and Edge. I think strongly leaning toward Edge, due to the Music Rising Campaign that he is a part of. To me it would make sense for Edge to support the local musicans by being there. Regardless, I think this festival is gonna be a special one after Katrina..

Certainly something to think about... :hmm:

I'm not sure that the strict definition of a "festival" is as relevant to note as U2 playing to a certain crowd-size.

What about Irving Plaza for ATYCLB?
I realize admission was limited, but . . . I also remember U2 playing to a smaller than festival sized crowd under the Brooklyn Bridge in 2004

:D

Back
Top Bottom