MSG Question re: GA tix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mad25

The Fly
Hi all!

Fairly new member here (though long-time lurker and fan of the site)! I've been to the Vertigo shows in Jersey in May (reserved seats) but have GA tix for Monday night MSG (yippee!). I did a little reading on how the ellipse lottery works and it seems clear for the most part but I'm interested in Interferencers' experiences with how the MSG policy worked in May/Oct, specifically:

1) Around what time do people start lining up?
2) What time are wristbands provided (if at all) so that you can use the hopper, if you need to? :wink:
3) Is the lottery truly 'random' - that is, those in the middle/back of the GA line have just as much chance of getting into the ellipse as those who are in the front?
4) For the 'seat' area, my ticket says "Section: Floor, Row GA9" - does this make sense to anyone? :scratch:
5) Do you think it's OK to bring a camera or will they confiscate it?
6) Will Bono come out and greet us? (OK, that was just a selfish question, I know) :drool:

Ok, you can tell I like smilies :evil:
I hope someone can help with answers or direct me to a thread that has this info!?! Thanks in advance, guys!

1.) People will in lineup the night before, or at least settle in the area. For my Pittsburgh show, I got to the arena at 2:00 and was #259. I was about 4 rows of people back from the tip of the ellipse, great place to be! I would assume since this is NYC, though, that you'd wanna line up earlier. Don't ask me about how they are gonna fence you on the side of the street.

2.) Doors will open sometime at 6:00-6:30, and as soon as you get your ticket scanned (to authenticate it, not for the ellipse), you will get a wristband. Then it is determined if your ticket is a winner or not.

3.) Apparently everyone has an equal chance of getting in, but I've heard the probability of the scan changes as the show grows clear. Don't quote me.

4.) That's all inconsequential. Doesn't mean anything.

5.) I did not even get checked really, just got a patdown. It all depends on the venue, but like everyone else has been saying, if it's not a professional camera with a detachable lense, you should be fine. The staff at our show were even encouraging photographs by taking a picture of a party of 10 that were in the ellipse.

6.) Seems like Bono has done meet and greet before in NYC so I wouldn't really venture to say he'll do anything differently, especially in NYC.

I'm going to be doing GA for the first time on Monday as well.

I'm not sure how early people are going to be arriving. I'd imagine the cold weather (and potential rain) might deter large numbers of people arriving super early, though who knows.

#250 and still 4 rows back, Y2K?? Eeek! I'd think w/ some of the people in front of you getting scanned in and the size of the ellipse that at #250, you'd still be on the rail (or maybe the 2nd row back)...Guess not! I'm really nervous about being several rows back, because I'm a bit on the short side, and I have a feeling I won't be able to see much of anything if I'm more than a few rows back.

On 10/14, we had seats behind the stage, and at 9pm, it still looked like you could show up and get within 5 or so rows of the ellipse (on the sides). So who knows?!? I don't think there's really any rhyme or reason to it. I know someone who went to Seattle and got there around 3 in the afternoon and was 2 or 3 rows back on the side, and someone else ended up right on the rail at MSG (just off center) showing up shortly before 7pm. So, I guess you never know.

ETA: How many people would you estimate can fit around the perimeter of the ellipse?? I would think it would be quite a few. I tried to count how many people it looked like there were in the front row in the ellipse, and it looked like 35+...So It'd think outside would support significantly more. Dunno.

Last edited:
1) Around what time do people start lining up?
--depends... some try to stay over-night, but if the GA lines at MSG shows, especially on weekdays, tend to be much smaller than at other venues. i've known people who've gotten on line by 12 noon and still gotten a spot on the rail. i'd say 10am would be a good place to start, give or take an hour.

2) What time are wristbands provided (if at all) so that you can use the hopper, if you need to?
--wristbands for the floor are given when you enter the arena. there are no wristbands for the actuall GA line. if a fan sets up a numbering system, you'll probably get a number written on your hand with a sharpie. going to take a doomper or get some food is not an issue.

3) Is the lottery truly 'random' - that is, those in the middle/back of the GA line have just as much chance of getting into the ellipse as those who are in the front?
--allegedly it is... but common sense dictates that the later you get to the arena, the less chance you're gonna have of getting into the ellipse... after all, it has to be filled at some point... otherwise there would be a mad rush to be the last person in, because the last person would always get in... if that makes sense.

baisicly if you've been waiting on line all day you have an equal chance of getting into the ellipse as the guy 50 people in front of you or 50 people behind you. if you show up at 8:00, your chances are slim.

also if you don't get into the ellipse, the band's management has been known to give out a few ellipse wristbands by the soundboard as show time approaches. so if you don't get into the ellipse, and you don't get a good spot on the rail, i'd suggest just hanging by the soundboard.

4) For the 'seat' area, my ticket says "Section: Floor, Row GA9" - does this make sense to anyone?
--don't worry about it... it's a GA. no one's really sure what the extra numbers and letters mean, but they tend to change from venue to venue

5) Do you think it's OK to bring a camera or will they confiscate it?
52023115_1ef8a283d2.jpg

answer your question? :wink:

6) Will Bono come out and greet us? (OK, that was just a selfish question, I know)
--bono has come out by the staff entrance, located on 33rd and 8th, down from the GA line. it is a cordoned off area controlled by security. bono walks behind barriers to greet fans who have lined up to wait for him. he will not walk the GA line... but the GA line is only about 10-20 feet from where he'd come out.

Headache, thanks for the detail - awesome pic of Bono - so psyched about seeing this show! Does U2.com membership card help any with regards to getting into the ellipse (I heard various reports here and there that flashing one could help?!?) :shrug:

Grazie!

I got on line at 530pm and still had an excellent rail spot on Adam's side. It really all depends. These were weekday shows.

u2mad25 said:
Does U2.com membership card help any with regards to getting into the ellipse (I heard various reports here and there that flashing one could help?!?) :shrug:

Grazie!

Not at MSG - they haven't even had a separate fan club line yet. The card just doesn't have any significance.

As for scanning into the ellipse by a certain time - I've seen plenty of people scan in who arrive at 730pm. It seems to be random. :shrug: But yes, the later you arrive, common sense does dictate that you have a lesser chance.

Ok, this provides me with all the info needed. Probably will try to get there latest by noon (just will be too hard to get there any earlier). My cousin is meeting me on the line around 2-ish (he has to work), so we should be cool! Thnx again for all the input!

glad you said that... check with the people around you if they have a problem with someone meeting you later in the day.

if he's showing up later, he may have to get a later number... he can still hang with you by your spot, but when it's time to line up to go in, he'd have to head back to his spot.

Hmmm...I think I'll still be there early on Monday. I wonder if I'll be able to get up early on Tuesday though.

Yeah, what's the general consensus on people joining the line? My GA-line buddy is coming in from out of state and won't be getting in until 1 or so, but I'm planning on getting in line around 10-10:30. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is with someone holding a spot for one other person. I think if a group of 6 or 8 left one person manning the line all day and the rest just expected to waltz up at 5:30, sure that'd be sketchy...Where does the line seem to be drawn? Maybe my take on it is skewed, coming from the Broadway rush ticket frame of mind, where you're usually alloted 2 tix, so it's pretty much a given that everyone in line is claiming 2 tickets/spots.

it depends... if you ask nicely when you first get there, and you tell the people surrounding you, there will probably not be an issue.

the problem is that some people plan this months in advance... they get a vacation day or even take a sick day, they fly in, train in, drive in, whatever... so that they can get online early to get a spot, sitting outside in the elements all day...

one could easily see why letting people cut in line would piss a large number of these people off.

and the argument is always "well i don't see why just letting one person in is a big deal." well... if everyone just lets in one person, than the person who was 50th in line is now 100th... and so on.

so i'd be very careful as far as letting people join the line ahead of those who've been waiting for hours already.

Headache, I'll take your comments under advisement and inform those around me that one person will be joining me. So the person giving out numbers would give me two, right (one for me, the other for my cousin)?

Yeah, I can see that, Headache...though I also think it's kind of crazy to expect people to wait in line the entire time in 40 degree weather. And I'm saying this as a person who'll be getting there at 10:30 or so. If there are 30+ pairs of people in front of me, I don't think I'd expect every single one of them to stay in line the entire time (a 15 minute break to grab a slice notwithstanding). I'd expect them to trade off once or twice throughout the day for an hour or so while one ran to Macy's to thaw and come back w/ coffee, etc. While I totally see where you're coming from with people taking time off work, etc. I also kind of feel like, as long as you keep everyone around you informed w/ what your situation is, it shouldn't be a huge deal (within reason, of course).

I guess we'll just wait and see. Perhaps not that many people will be coming in that window of time. It seems like people either get there early, early, or they come a bit later. So, perhaps if there are only a handful of people behind me, it won't be much of an issue.

I do tend to be a line killer of sorts. I did Standing Room Only for Spamalot last month, and I'd heard that (as a general rule) by 8am most spots were already claimed. So, I get there at 7am, the 2nd person in line, and nobody else shows up until quarter of 10 (15 minutes before the box office opens). I could have showed up hours later, and it wouldn't have been a problem. Go figure.

Last edited:
I joined the GA line of the 10/11 MSG show at 4.30ish, I was in the first 60 or so people in line and I walked up to a spot on the rail. Nice view for my first show! I'm sure it's not always that easy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if he's showing up later, he may have to get a later number... he can still hang with you by your spot, but when it's time to line up to go in, he'd have to head back to his spot.

I've been in 2 GA lines for MSG (both in October), and the numbers on hands have never been used for any significance. There was always the hope that they would, but in the end, it just didn't matter.

HelloAngel said:

I've been in 2 GA lines for MSG (both in October), and the numbers on hands have never been used for any significance. There was always the hope that they would, but in the end, it just didn't matter.

Yea, I remember the same thing for Elevation '01 October show - someone in the line was giving out numbers, not security or anyone from MSG, IIRC. But people in the line DO respect it, esp. if one needs to step out of line for any reason...anyway, the long and the short of it seems that the earlier there, the better - just hope it's not too cold Monday (if it's like today, Sat, it should be great fun)!

Should be interesting. I went to see Alanis Morissette last night w/ GA at Roseland Ballroom last night, and I showed up late (last minute ticket showed up for me). It certainly made me a bit antsy about Monday. Sure, it was 9pm and dark, but it was FUCKING COLD! I was only out there for 20 minutes or so, and I just couldn't imagine campingo out for hours on end in the cold!

I have no problem waiting for hours. I waited about 8 hours for the Brooklyn Bridge show, and I've waited for hours on end for Broadway shows oodles of times, but the cold...It's definitely one thing I'm not a fan of.

I really feel for the Buffalo folks! Yikes!!!

I was at one MSG show -- 10/10 -- where the numbers WERE enforced pretty well. The line got all screwed up when Bono emerged to sign autographs, so people tried to take advantage of the confusion and cut in line. But two regular fans (one guy, one girl) walked back with such authority and put everybody back in order, that it actually worked. A bunch of us applauded their efforts -- they did a great job.

i got GA tix day of the show on 10/11 at msg....walked in at 800 and was four rows deep at the tip of the ellipse

jon_lemire said:
I was at one MSG show -- 10/10 -- where the numbers WERE enforced pretty well. The line got all screwed up when Bono emerged to sign autographs, so people tried to take advantage of the confusion and cut in line. But two regular fans (one guy, one girl) walked back with such authority and put everybody back in order, that it actually worked. A bunch of us applauded their efforts -- they did a great job.

I was in the GA line at MSG 10/10 too and did not see anyone attempting to put the line back in order after the big Bono thing. :shrug:

So yeah, I guess the only significance that the numbers have is to make people exercise some common decency and not cut in line.

Back
Top Bottom