MERGED --> Places to Stay in Chicago + Need Chicago Location Advice Quick!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I hear, the area the UC is located in, is not the nicest... My understanding is that there is a bus that runs during special events from the loop to UC and back... I know the info is somewhere around here, if I could just remember where... :huh:

The CTA always has a fleet of buses outside the United Center after events which head towards the loop and Michigan Ave.

For a hotel I'd recommend The Sutton Place if money isn't a concern.

U2Girl1978 said:
I don't know if this hotel is any good or not but it's two blocks from the magnificent mile...

www.casshotel.com

Is this too good to be true? lol

I just followed your link to www dot casshotel dot com, and it sounds very good, its reviews on tripadvisor seem ok too. I will probably be gettin a cab from hotel to venue, and it does not seem too far, so thats ok, and it has a bar, so it will be good to meet up with a few fans after the show too.

I just rang them, and you get your own bathroom, but you have to bring your own shampoo, the hotel bar stays open till 2am normally

sounds great!!!! I think that I will check in

Last edited:
I have now booked up at the Cass Hotel, a bargain for the location, I think $79.28 inc tax, and as it has a bar, I hope to meet with a few U2 fans, before and after the show, and maybe share cabs, as they are nearby.

Take a look guys and girls, and if you like it, book up
(NB I am not a travel agent so make your own judgement)

U2Girl1978, you're brilliant! Thank you very much for posting this information. The Cass looks like a great bargain and we may very well go for this one.

Besides, how can I resist the Sea of Happiness Lounge? Trainspotter, if you'll e-mail me, we can make plans to buy you that pint there! It's kyrasv@yahoo.com.

(We could also split a cab to the venue, no problem.)

Wishing everyone luck in finding a place to stay!

hmm, this does look good indeed! let me know if you are actually booked there, i would like to meet up and heck, i'll buy a round of drinks for you guys too :)

betterbidding.com....priceline.com

EVERYONE LISTEN UP! If you want the best deals go to betterbidding.com + get some hints there....Next buy a NICE HOTEL ROOM FOR CHEAP at priceline.com.. If ou need somthing dirt cheap, try staying at a hostile on the northside (not in a bad area) Arlington House Chicago, USA
Chicago International Hostel Chicago, USA
H.I. Chicago Chicago, USA
Toliver Hostel Chicago, USA

Last edited:
Good point, tommywaddle. I'm afraid that with priceline, I would end up at the Congress Plaza! I also hadn't heard of betterbidding.com and will have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Hepcat, my husband and I have reservations for both the Cass and the Majestic. We're trying to decide which one we want to stay at, and then we'll cancel the other reservation (I made sure I could do this before I booked them). At this point, I'm leaning towards the Cass, as it's cheaper. Either way, we'd be thrilled to meet up in "Captain George's Sea of Happiness Lounge" for those drinks. E-mail me!

I should also point out that the Cass is easily within walking distance from the Hard Rock, where the Midwest U2 party on the 8th is going to be (I think).

I am getting very excited about the show and meeting people. Looking forward to it very much!

I know I'll get laughed at for asking....but
Is anyone staying at the 4 Seasons(Ritz Carlton)? I looked up the prices and nearly died. :ohmy: $450/night for a standard (very nice standard i'd imagine! heh) 2 double bed room. But I can see if maybe 4 ppl went in on a room..?
My brother & I are arriving in Chicago on the 11th and going to the show the next day and driving home after the show.
We are looking at the Cass Hotel..
Where are the majority of U2 fans staying?

Need Chicago Location Advice Quick!!!

I will be in Chicago for a conference and will be arriving 5/9. The problem is that the conference location is in St. Charles. I am not sure where I should stay. I want to go to the 5/10 show as well.

Does anyone know if there is a train that will take me from St. Charles to the United Center? I will have a car but not sure if I want to drive in.

I was thinking that I should just stay closer to the arena and then drive to St. Charles in the morning. Does anyone know how bad traffic is for that route?

Any help would be appreciated as I have to book tomorrow morning.

Bocagator,

I'm not from Chicago, but I do know that in addition to the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority), which runs the El trains in the city and the bus system, there is a commuter railroad. It's called the Metra. Give me two minutes, and I'll find a website for you!

OK, it's www.metrarail.com. I'll see about St. Charles!

Last edited:
I think you would want the Union Pacific West line. It runs as far as Geneva. I'm guessing you could drive to the nearest station (probably Geneva or West Chicago), park, and take the train in. See the website for details.

Maybe the conference people, or someone else here, could give you advice about staying downtown versus staying closer to your conference.

Hope this helps! Safe travels...

Priceline.com rocks! Just booked 3 nights (May 8-11) at the Hyatt Regency Chicago downtown near Michigan Ave for $90/night. A real bargain for a 4-star hotel downtown. Going through Hyatt's website or other travel booking sites, that room rate would have been at least $200/night.

Drive. You can take a bus to within walking distance of the UC, but you don't want to do that. No train stops within reasonable walking distance of UC. The metrarail website given is the one you want. You don't want to stay near the UC. Trust me.

The traffic can be pretty bad on the route you would drive from downtown Chicago to St. Charles, esp. on the Eisenhower Expressway (I-290).

If you stay in St. Charles, I would take the Metra from Geneva to downtown Chicago, then get on a Blue Line "L" toward Forest Park and get off at the Medical Center stop, a few blocks from the UC - see map here: http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2004C.html

I may have a ticket for sale for 5/10
Email me if interested at kikehisy@aol.com

i'll be at all 4 shows, cant wait to see you all there....i have an apartment in lincoln park (north part of chicago) so i'll be staying there....if anyone needs help getting around the city feel free to shoot me a pm

U2ITNOL>>
Thanks for the priceline.com hint..I booked for 90/night @ Sheraton Chicago Hotel Tower! I was hoping to get the Hyatt Regency but alas, it didnt come up. Oh well..at least we're all kinda close together somewhat. hehe
Wonder how much taxi fare is from Michigan Ave the UC? Gah. problee a fortune I'm guessing

ETA: Doh. We are checking in on the11th and checkin out the 13th to drive back to Wisconsin. I hate driving in big cities. :(

Last edited:
Where to stay in Chicago?

I'm trying to scout out possible hotels to stay at in chi town....hopefully some locals can help me out.

I remember a few on the board were going to stay at the Cass Hotel - is it walkable to the United center from there?

I found some reasonable deals for hotels in Oak Brook (Lombard, IL) but it's about 25 miles from the UC - is that like an hour drive in rush hour traffic?

I was one of those that sdtayed at the CASS for the U2 show back in May. I highly recommend the hotel for price and location.

We took a cab to the United Center, I think it was about $10, and the driver took 5 of us. I suppose that you could walk to the venue, if you were really keen, but that it would take nearly an hour. The general opinion was that the venue was in a rough area, although I was wary of this, it did not seem to be a problem for me.

Hopefull, by September there might be another interference Chicago meet up, if you end up in the Rock Bottom Brewery, three blcoks rom the Cass, be careful with the Buffalo kebab, the chilli is Very hot!!

I'm looking ahead to September - any one care to post reviews of where they stayed in May?

BTW - cheapest I've found for the Park Hyatt is about $380 - tempting but I don't think we can swing it. No guarantee that the boys will stay there again anyway :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom