MERGED --> MCI Centre in DC-GA experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tawanda

The Fly
MCI Centre in DC-GA experience

Hi all!

I'm looking for people who have done GA at the MCI in DC...

We're doing GA next week and would like to hear any details of your experience there. Any tips, advice?

Thanks!:wink:

Yeah, I and 2 others plan on "camping" the 19th...wondering the same thing!

popbellydancer said:
done it..... what ya want to know....?

At DC?

Did anyone bring a tent and/or stay overnight?

Were there port-a-potties?

Nearby restruants?

Where is the GA line located?

Anything else you might think is helpful...:wink:

tawanda said:

At DC?

Did anyone bring a tent and/or stay overnight?

Were there port-a-potties?

Nearby restruants?

Where is the GA line located?

Anything else you might think is helpful...:wink:

it's in downtown dc...not the best area, but certainly not the worst!! no port-a-potties as it's not in a field. there's a burger king we all went to for bathroom and snacks too....down like 2 blocks off 6th. lots of restaurants off of 7th (i believe, maybe 8th) like hooters, i think theres a dave and busters, espn zone, crap like that. but there's a good chinese place on 6th a little further down...ate there last time and it rocked. last time i camped out there weren't any diners to speak of but i've been gone a year so who knows. oh and those restaurants are over one and down a few blocks, not a bad walk but dont be in a rush.

and no one had tents, i don't think u could do that where you have to line up on the city sidewalk....maybe.

oh....one more thing...look out for bums BIGTIME!!! dc does have a lot of homeless, but even more people pretending so they can get your money...i think we all took up a collection last time so they'd leave us alone!!!:tsk:

Last edited:
Haven't done GA at the MCI, but will be there really early on the 20th.

popbellydancer said:

it's in downtown dc...not the best area, but certainly not the worst!! .

oh....one more thing...look out for bums BIGTIME!!! dc does have a lot of homeless

:yes:

idiot

I work across the street from the MCI Center and the bum response was hilarious....the guy has to be mentaly not all there....the MCI Center is in Chinatown, so of course there is a good chinese place nearby. There are a few of them. Also, the area is very very trendy...rich....studio apartments across the block start at 1.4 mill...and the homeless, a shelter is 3 blocks away, by a bunch of stores, in a church...most of them are fun, crazy types, but a lot also will play you U2 all day, the same song over and over again...and for bathrooms, theres starbucks, mcd's, and chipotle all on that block as well as a huge movie theatre...have fun~!

Lots of trendy bars and good food at Rosa Mexicana too! Those are expensive though.

Hmmm....Five Guys should be within the vicinity as well. The best burgers! :drool:

I am also getting there early on the 20th - coming from Chicago for the fourth show of the year. So incredibly psyched - one question, and not sure if this is standard at all the concerts - is someone planning on putting a list together of all the GA people, and giving them numbers? This worked well in Chicago, so that at 5pm, everyone got in line in an organized manner - no worries about people cutting, jumping, or anything else. Just curious - see you all there!

GA System @ MCI Center

Hi All,

I'm going GA for DC night 2 and took off the day from work. I remember from Elevation tour that the person at the front of the line kept a list of names in her notebook and wrote nos. with magic marker on your hand. The venue was not involved at all. Although there was very little cutting. Anybody hear if the venue will be involved this time around?

-Simon

popbellydancer said:

it's in downtown dc...not the best area, but certainly not the worst!! no port-a-potties as it's not in a field. there's a burger king we all went to for bathroom and snacks too....down like 2 blocks off 6th. lots of restaurants off of 7th (i believe, maybe 8th) like hooters, i think theres a dave and busters, espn zone, crap like that. but there's a good chinese place on 6th a little further down...ate there last time and it rocked. last time i camped out there weren't any diners to speak of but i've been gone a year so who knows. oh and those restaurants are over one and down a few blocks, not a bad walk but dont be in a rush.

and no one had tents, i don't think u could do that where you have to line up on the city sidewalk....maybe.

oh....one more thing...look out for bums BIGTIME!!! dc does have a lot of homeless, but even more people pretending so they can get your money...i think we all took up a collection last time so they'd leave us alone!!!:tsk:

Totally agree. Do not bring any money in the GA line until daylight.

Tips: DO get the parking lot across from the building. It's 30 bucks, but it's worth it because you get to stay as long as you want, from dawn until after the show at no extra cost. You can keep going back to your car, and see your car, and put your stuff back in it when it's showtime.

DO NOT park in the scuzzy parking lots down the road. DO NOT leave your car at the metro station and take the train. The fees will be enormous, and you will have no place to put your stuff, and you will have to ride it back at midnight. There is a huge metro station right down the sidewalk from the center, but if you leave, you do so at your own risk as you may lose your place. People will save it for you for a lunch or bathroom break, but if you are gone when they move you up (several times a day) you might get left out.

DO use the bathroom in the Discovery store next to the MCI center. It's clean and nice and they don't mind. DO NOT use the bathroom in the Burger King down the road, it's small, gross, and there's always a long line.

The Burger King's food is not bad, and the Ruby Tuesday's around the corner is good too.

The band will come in via garage door on the side of the building facing the road that leads to the Burger King. If you sit there you will see them, it's going to be your only chance, there is no behind the building or fence situation like at other venues. The door leads under the building, they go in and out from there.

When they tell you not to run going down the stairs, don't listen to them. Everyone esle runs anyway, and it will cost you a spot.

Sigh, the memories.

PS- Go to the bathroom before they open the doors, and don't drink anything at least an hour before. You don't want to have to go to the bathroom once you have secured your GA spot, especially if you are on the open floor or around the outside of the elipse, you may not get your spot back, and you waited for it all day!

If anyone tries to push you out of your spot, stand your ground. You earned your spot, don't be a pushover. It's your chance to see U2, keep it!

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
but if you leave, you do so at your own risk as you may lose your place. People will save it for you for a lunch or bathroom break, but if you are gone when they move you up (several times a day) you might get left out.

It seems this hasn't been true at the other venues I've been for the Vertigo leg.

People have been more lenient this time around.

Should I take train?

I am going to the D.C. show on the 20th. I am not sure the best way for me to get there. I have regular seats. I am out in Vienna/Tysons Corner. I was wondering if I should take a cab or take the train? Is it safe to take train after the show? Also does anyone know if I take the orange line and then the red line one stop? It looks like it on the map.

Re: Should I take train?

BOCAGATOR said:
I am going to the D.C. show on the 20th. I am not sure the best way for me to get there. I have regular seats. I am out in Vienna/Tysons Corner. I was wondering if I should take a cab or take the train? Is it safe to take train after the show? Also does anyone know if I take the orange line and then the red line one stop? It looks like it on the map.

I think it'll be totally safe to take the Metro after the show. There will be tons of people. If you're driving, you may as well park at the Vienna station and take the train and back or call a cab from the Vienna Metro. I'm metroing on the same line myself. :)

Re: Re: Should I take train?

dizzy said:

I think it'll be totally safe to take the Metro after the show. There will be tons of people. If you're driving, you may as well park at the Vienna station and take the train and back or call a cab from the Vienna Metro. I'm metroing on the same line myself. :)

Thanks. Actually I am not driving but can get a cab to the train station. Will prob take the train from Dun Loring. Is it the orange to the red and then 1 stop to the chinatown station? I am staying in the Tysons Corner area working for the next few months (I Live in South Florida)area and I am just finding my way around.

tryin to get a cab at mci after a show can be an incredibly frustrating experience. the band should be done by 11:15 and you can be out and on the metro platform within 5 minutes. from experience the metro has worked well after shows and taxis have been a big pain in the ass.

bridonohue said:
tryin to get a cab at mci after a show can be an incredibly frustrating experience. the band should be done by 11:15 and you can be out and on the metro platform within 5 minutes. from experience the metro has worked well after shows and taxis have been a big pain in the ass.

You may need to call a cab company from the metro...but it easily beats taking a cab out there from DC!

U2Kitten said:
Tips: DO get the parking lot across from the building. It's 30 bucks, but it's worth it because you get to stay as long as you want, from dawn until after the show at no extra cost. You can keep going back to your car, and see your car, and put your stuff back in it when it's showtime.

DO NOT park in the scuzzy parking lots down the road. DO NOT leave your car at the metro station and take the train. The fees will be enormous, and you will have no place to put your stuff, and you will have to ride it back at midnight. There is a huge metro station right down the sidewalk from the center, but if you leave, you do so at your own risk as you may lose your place. People will save it for you for a lunch or bathroom break, but if you are gone when they move you up (several times a day) you might get left out.

If you get there early enough...there are parking lots that will cost less and pretty close. Here's a tip...don't ask for "event parking"...ask for "all day parking". That way they won't know you are there for a concert.:wink: Worked for me 4 years ago...I only paid 6.50 back then and all other lots where charging 25+. You're only gonna need to make one trip back to your car if you are organzied anyway.

And people...MCI Center / Chinatown is NOT southeast DC. Its perfectly safe whenever I've been there. Here is MCI Center's info:

"
Metro and Parking
Metro Access
Metro is conveniently located directly underneath MCI Center with metro stations at Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red, Yellow and Green lines). Click here to see a Metro Map

Metro Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 5:30 am-Midnight
Friday: 5:30 am-2:00 am
Saturday: 8:00 am - 2:00 am
Sunday: 8:00 am - Midnight
202-637-7000
"

SimonSays said:

If you get there early enough...there are parking lots that will cost less and pretty close. Here's a tip...don't ask for "event parking"...ask for "all day parking". That way they won't know you are there for a concert.:wink: Worked for me 4 years ago...I only paid 6.50 back then and all other lots where charging 25+.

I meant if they were doing GA and getting there very early. There are cheaper lots around but they are scuzzy. If you are not going to hang out all day you won't need the all day parking, that was just for the campers.

You're only gonna need to make one trip back to your car if you are organzied anyway.

If you're a girl, you might need to get your makeup and fresh clothes, who wants to face Bono in the same outfit you wallowed on the sidewalk in, and you smell like it?

You may also want to take breaks and 'chill' in your car.

the venue def. did not know how to handle things ... it was a mad rush once all were let in to the building, , , number order broke down.

I agree, it was complete anarchy and chaos when we were let in the building because the hallway is so small that everybody got jammed in there before they even got their bracelets on and nobody knew what was going on.
There were people trying to cut in line, if that happens dont let them.
Its a fan numbering system, the venue is not involved so its up to the fans in line to police.
I went to the bathroom at mcdonalds but I dont recommend it. Yucky, busy, had to hover, nuff said :wink:
We took the metro back to dunn loring last night and it was pretty scary trying to get in and out without losing a limb, but we were able to get back to the car at the station with no problem. And there was no parking fee :huh:
But it is better to have a car parked nearby because you can put your crap in it and not have to be miserable all day if your clothes get dirty or sweeaty in line

Back
Top Bottom