MERGED --> MCI Centre in DC-GA experience - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:48 AM
MCI Centre in DC-GA experience

Hi all!

I'm looking for people who have done GA at the MCI in DC...

We're doing GA next week and would like to hear any details of your experience there. Any tips, advice?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 PM
wondering the same thing myself...please any info, tips etc.. Would be awesome!
<< have GA for 10/20! woohooooo!

Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
The Fly

Cool!

I'm there on the 19th!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 03:48 PM
I'll be there on the 19th and 20th! Has anyone camped out there before?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
The Fly

Yeah, I and 2 others plan on "camping" the 19th...wondering the same thing!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:20 AM   #6
The Fly

Old 10-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 PM
done it..... what ya want to know....?
Old 10-11-2005, 02:34 AM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by popbellydancer
done it..... what ya want to know....?
At DC?

Did anyone bring a tent and/or stay overnight?

Were there port-a-potties?

Nearby restruants?

Where is the GA line located?

Anything else you might think is helpful...
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tawanda

At DC?

Did anyone bring a tent and/or stay overnight?

Were there port-a-potties?

Nearby restruants?

Where is the GA line located?

Anything else you might think is helpful...
it's in downtown dc...not the best area, but certainly not the worst!! no port-a-potties as it's not in a field. there's a burger king we all went to for bathroom and snacks too....down like 2 blocks off 6th. lots of restaurants off of 7th (i believe, maybe 8th) like hooters, i think theres a dave and busters, espn zone, crap like that. but there's a good chinese place on 6th a little further down...ate there last time and it rocked. last time i camped out there weren't any diners to speak of but i've been gone a year so who knows. oh and those restaurants are over one and down a few blocks, not a bad walk but dont be in a rush.

and no one had tents, i don't think u could do that where you have to line up on the city sidewalk....maybe.

oh....one more thing...look out for bums BIGTIME!!! dc does have a lot of homeless, but even more people pretending so they can get your money...i think we all took up a collection last time so they'd leave us alone!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Haven't done GA at the MCI, but will be there really early on the 20th.

Quote:

it's in downtown dc...not the best area, but certainly not the worst!! .

oh....one more thing...look out for bums BIGTIME!!! dc does have a lot of homeless
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 07:48 PM
I will be there on the 19th and the 20th!

GA Baby!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
Babyface

idiot

I work across the street from the MCI Center and the bum response was hilarious....the guy has to be mentaly not all there....the MCI Center is in Chinatown, so of course there is a good chinese place nearby. There are a few of them. Also, the area is very very trendy...rich....studio apartments across the block start at 1.4 mill...and the homeless, a shelter is 3 blocks away, by a bunch of stores, in a church...most of them are fun, crazy types, but a lot also will play you U2 all day, the same song over and over again...and for bathrooms, theres starbucks, mcd's, and chipotle all on that block as well as a huge movie theatre...have fun~!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Lots of trendy bars and good food at Rosa Mexicana too! Those are expensive though.

Hmmm....Five Guys should be within the vicinity as well. The best burgers!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Babyface

I am also getting there early on the 20th - coming from Chicago for the fourth show of the year. So incredibly psyched - one question, and not sure if this is standard at all the concerts - is someone planning on putting a list together of all the GA people, and giving them numbers? This worked well in Chicago, so that at 5pm, everyone got in line in an organized manner - no worries about people cutting, jumping, or anything else. Just curious - see you all there!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Babyface

GA System @ MCI Center

Hi All,

I'm going GA for DC night 2 and took off the day from work. I remember from Elevation tour that the person at the front of the line kept a list of names in her notebook and wrote nos. with magic marker on your hand. The venue was not involved at all. Although there was very little cutting. Anybody hear if the venue will be involved this time around?

-Simon
Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:

it's in downtown dc...not the best area, but certainly not the worst!! no port-a-potties as it's not in a field. there's a burger king we all went to for bathroom and snacks too....down like 2 blocks off 6th. lots of restaurants off of 7th (i believe, maybe 8th) like hooters, i think theres a dave and busters, espn zone, crap like that. but there's a good chinese place on 6th a little further down...ate there last time and it rocked. last time i camped out there weren't any diners to speak of but i've been gone a year so who knows. oh and those restaurants are over one and down a few blocks, not a bad walk but dont be in a rush.

and no one had tents, i don't think u could do that where you have to line up on the city sidewalk....maybe.

oh....one more thing...look out for bums BIGTIME!!! dc does have a lot of homeless, but even more people pretending so they can get your money...i think we all took up a collection last time so they'd leave us alone!!!
Totally agree. Do not bring any money in the GA line until daylight.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Tips: DO get the parking lot across from the building. It's 30 bucks, but it's worth it because you get to stay as long as you want, from dawn until after the show at no extra cost. You can keep going back to your car, and see your car, and put your stuff back in it when it's showtime.

DO NOT park in the scuzzy parking lots down the road. DO NOT leave your car at the metro station and take the train. The fees will be enormous, and you will have no place to put your stuff, and you will have to ride it back at midnight. There is a huge metro station right down the sidewalk from the center, but if you leave, you do so at your own risk as you may lose your place. People will save it for you for a lunch or bathroom break, but if you are gone when they move you up (several times a day) you might get left out.

DO use the bathroom in the Discovery store next to the MCI center. It's clean and nice and they don't mind. DO NOT use the bathroom in the Burger King down the road, it's small, gross, and there's always a long line.

The Burger King's food is not bad, and the Ruby Tuesday's around the corner is good too.

The band will come in via garage door on the side of the building facing the road that leads to the Burger King. If you sit there you will see them, it's going to be your only chance, there is no behind the building or fence situation like at other venues. The door leads under the building, they go in and out from there.

When they tell you not to run going down the stairs, don't listen to them. Everyone esle runs anyway, and it will cost you a spot.

Sigh, the memories.

PS- Go to the bathroom before they open the doors, and don't drink anything at least an hour before. You don't want to have to go to the bathroom once you have secured your GA spot, especially if you are on the open floor or around the outside of the elipse, you may not get your spot back, and you waited for it all day!

If anyone tries to push you out of your spot, stand your ground. You earned your spot, don't be a pushover. It's your chance to see U2, keep it!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
but if you leave, you do so at your own risk as you may lose your place. People will save it for you for a lunch or bathroom break, but if you are gone when they move you up (several times a day) you might get left out.

It seems this hasn't been true at the other venues I've been for the Vertigo leg.

People have been more lenient this time around.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #19
The Fly

Should I take train?

I am going to the D.C. show on the 20th. I am not sure the best way for me to get there. I have regular seats. I am out in Vienna/Tysons Corner. I was wondering if I should take a cab or take the train? Is it safe to take train after the show? Also does anyone know if I take the orange line and then the red line one stop? It looks like it on the map.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:54 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Should I take train?

Quote:
Originally posted by BOCAGATOR
I am going to the D.C. show on the 20th. I am not sure the best way for me to get there. I have regular seats. I am out in Vienna/Tysons Corner. I was wondering if I should take a cab or take the train? Is it safe to take train after the show? Also does anyone know if I take the orange line and then the red line one stop? It looks like it on the map.
I think it'll be totally safe to take the Metro after the show. There will be tons of people. If you're driving, you may as well park at the Vienna station and take the train and back or call a cab from the Vienna Metro. I'm metroing on the same line myself.